daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 14th, 2017, 08:36 PM   #1601
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

From BBC

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-38547284

Metrolink's Trafford Park £350m tramline: Preparation work starts
8 January 2017

Work along the route of a new £350m tramline to Greater Manchester's Trafford Centre is set to begin

The new Metrolink 5.5km (3.4 mile) line, which will go from Pomona to Trafford Park via the Imperial War Museum, was approved in October.

Initial "enabling and utility works" are due to start from Monday, Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) said

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

Freel07, cairnstony2, WingTips liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2017, 01:32 PM   #1602
Freel07

Likes (Received): 15091

There was a test running session on Metrolink's 2CC route last night which I decided to try to capture. After a rather delayed start things finally started to happen around 02:00 in rather typical Manchester weather. A bit of comapny from fellow forummer denco1 made things much more pleasant. Hopefully he will post some of his excellent photos here.

The test tram finally appears at Windmill Street.

P1210872 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Given that the PIDS on the northbound 1CC platform had been showing a Victoria destination we now were wondering which approach line the trams would take. We needn't have worried as we now see it alongside the Midland on the 2CC approach.

DSC_8508 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

DSC_8510 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

DSC_8513 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Standing at the 2CC northbound platform.

DSC_8517 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

DSC_8518 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

DSC_8522 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Off they go towards Princess Street

P1210879 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

DSC_8528 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

DSC_8532 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Now we move to Cross Street to catch them on the return from Exchange Square.

DSC_8534 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

DSC_8537 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Crossing King Street

DSC_8540 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Approaching the junction with Princess Street.

P1210883 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Now pushing my little compact camera to its limit as the trams round the corner into Princess Street with the Chinese New Year decorations being erected in Albert Square.

P1210886 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

We decided to wait at the corner of Princess Street for their return from Deansgate Castlefield but I couldn't resist trying my luck with the zoom once more and tried to catch them entering St Peters Square in the distance. A little blurry I'm afraid.

P1210887 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Now here we see them returning towards Cross Street.

DSC_8544 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

DSC_8546 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Back towards Exchange Square, or so we hoped.

DSC_8549 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

DSC_8551-1 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

DSC_8554 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

And that was the last I saw of them. I am really annoyed I didn't wait that extra five minutes Anyway another significant event captured.

Ashtonian, dimlys1994, PEP_33 liked this post
Freel07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 02:55 PM   #1603
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

From Metro Report

http://www.metro-report.com/news/new...metrolink.html

KeolisAmey to operate Manchester Metrolink
18 Jan 2017

UK: Transport for Greater Manchester announced on January 18 that it had signed a contract with the KeolisAmey joint venture for up to 10 years of operation and maintenance of the Metrolink tram network.

The contract will come into effect from July, when the existing operations contract with RATP Dev and maintenance contract with MPact-Thales end

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

Freel07 liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2017, 08:33 PM   #1604
Freel07

Here now are some of my photos from my trip to witness some of the 2CC testing that took place today.

As I had left it a little late I was afraid I may have missed most of the action but was comforted to see a tram approaching as I walked from Victoria to St Peters Square.

DSC_8558 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

DSC_8561 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

3098 seemed to get held for a while at King Street..

DSC_8570 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

but this gave me the opportunity for these shots.

DSC_8573 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

DSC_8574 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

DSC_8575 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Turning now into Princess Street.

DSC_8579 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

DSC_8582 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

DSC_8585 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

DSC_8589 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

DSC_8597 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

DSC_8599 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

DSC_8608 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

DSC_8623 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

DSC_8630 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

This next sequence shows the build up to and progress of a test of the result when 4 trams present themselves at Oxford Street simultaneously.

DSC_8660 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

DSC_8669 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Of we go!

DSC_8670 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

DSC_8672 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

DSC_8674 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Outbound obviously only one of the 2 trams could get it's route.

DSC_8677 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Test successful apparently.

DSC_8688 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1210951 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1220036 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Anyway that's enough for now.
Old January 23rd, 2017, 01:59 PM   #1605
Natorious

Likes (Received): 10

Will there be drastic changes in service when 2CC opens? If so, has TfGM exposed any information about it?
Natorious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2017, 10:55 AM   #1606
Freel07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natorious View Post
Will there be drastic changes in service when 2CC opens? If so, has TfGM exposed any information about it?
Some service will be diverted off the original route to use the new route across the city. The changes seem to be planned in 2 stages. Initially the East Didsbury to Oldham Rochdale Line services will divert to 2CC. At present there are all day East Didsbury to Deansgate Castlefield and Rochdale to Exchange Square services. These will be linked and run on the new 2CC route. During the day time they are supported by an East Didsbury to Shaw service over the original route. This will be diverted over the new route. Other changes see the Airport to Cornbrook service extended initially to Deansgate Castlefield and when the turnback facility at Victoria is commissioned extended on the original route to Victoria. In addition the Present Bury to Etihad Campus service will be cut back to terminate at Piccadilly and the Altrincham to Piccadilly service will be extended to Etihad Campus. The press release detailing these changes is at this link http://www.metrolink.co.uk/pages/news.aspx?newsID=449

Once the new operating contract is running the patterns are likely to change again although the final details aren't released yet. It does however seem as though the cross city routing of a number of services may change. The driver for subsequent changes seem to be a demand from Oldham and Rochdale local authorities for a direct link from Rochdale to Piccadilly which is at present the subject of some debate within the transport authority. Various alternative service patterns have been considered and they are up for debate at an Greater Manchester Combined Authority meeting today (see Item 19 on the list of documents here https://www.greatermanchester-ca.gov...ined_authority )

Natorious liked this post
Old February 1st, 2017, 01:29 PM   #1607
WingTips

Likes (Received): 1239

Great update Freel, do we know when the new line will come into service?

Freel07, dimlys1994 liked this post
WingTips no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2017, 10:47 PM   #1608
Freel07

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingTips View Post
Great update Freel, do we know when the new line will come into service?
Welcome back WingTips not heard from you in a while, hope you are OK.

Sorry for the slightly delayed reply. The answer to your question is no news as yet other than what was announced the day after my photos, when they said it would open 'soon'.

This isn't unusual though. If I remember rightly the short section from Victoria to Exchange Square opened with about 48 hours notice as did the Oldham to Shaw section. There is a feeling on the main Metrolink Extension thread that it might be open by the 19th Feb because there are some track renewals that day and unusually they indicated that there will be cross city services running. Altrincham to Bury and East Didsbury to Rochdale will operate through. Of course this could simply indicate that the renewals are on the Piccadilly branch.
Old February 7th, 2017, 10:38 AM   #1609
WingTips

Hi Freel and thanks for the " welcome back" the 2CC line looks great and fits in well with the City scape..so I suppose re the opening of the line its a case of "watch this space"

I see work has also started on the Trafford Line as the system continues to grow. Plenty to keep us all occupied then as work starts on this new line.

Freel07 liked this post
Old February 8th, 2017, 01:54 AM   #1610
redstarcastles

Likes (Received): 759

3015 & 3016 Shudehill 4 December 2016

3006 Victoria 4 December 2016

3090 St Peters Square 4 December 2016

3073 St Peters Square 4 December 2016

https://transportsceneireland.smugmu...chester-Trams/

dimlys1994, Freel07 liked this post
redstarcastles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 11:21 AM   #1611
WingTips

Thanks for the pics red.
Old February 8th, 2017, 09:25 PM   #1612
Freel07

I had a wander around the Ordsall Chord works today and took some photos. Apologies but there are a lot of photos to come.

A few long distance shots from the car park.

P1220209 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

The piers for the link section between the viaduct and Trinity Way spans.

P1220210 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Is the track to be laid on a concrete slab or is this part of waterproofing the the structure?

P1220211 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

More steel has arrived in the compound containing the bridge sections.

P1220212 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Work in progress on the deck of the Network Arch bridge.

P1220218 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1220219 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Salford Central

P1220207 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1220221 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1220225 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Now down to ground level.

The arch assembled in the Water Street compound.

P1220228 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1220229 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Round on Water Street now where the 750 tonne crane can be seen along with parts of its larger cousin.

P1220233 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Now from Trinity Way the new bridge piers.

P1220252 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1220249 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Seen through a small aperture in the wooden fencing the 2 cranes with the lower part of the big crane seen framed by the arch.

P1220256 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1220257 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

It certainly seems to dwarf the other one.

P1220260 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

An end on view of the river bridge.

P1220262 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1220267 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Stephensons bridge is a little more obvious now.

P1220272 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Now back to Trinity Way where we can see the lower part of the job being fitted to the big crane.

P1220281 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1220288 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Sorry about the angle of this one but I was shooting blind here over the fence.

P1220285 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1220299 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Now we see one of the concrete units being lifted in near the gap where the old and new structures are to link.

P1220295 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

By the time I got back to Water Street another section was being lifted in for the big crane.

P1220305 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

There seem to be so many cranes about that there is always one in the way!

P1220307 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1220310 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1220314 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

I'll post a few taken from Salford Central separately.
Old February 8th, 2017, 09:33 PM   #1613
Freel07

Now Salford Central from the platforms.

P1220320 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1220321 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1220323 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1220326 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1220324 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1220328 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1220329 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1220332 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

An OLE mast foundation at the top of the ramp on Platform 2. They have created an opening in the wall to located the foundation.

P1220335 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1220334 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

A view across from Platform 1 where I was waiting for my train.

P1220337 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1220346 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Last edited by Freel07; February 10th, 2017 at 11:47 PM.
Old February 9th, 2017, 01:16 PM   #1614
PEP_33

Likes (Received): 125

Do we know if the Ordsall Chord still expected to open by the December 2017 timetable change?
PEP_33 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 09:31 PM   #1615
Freel07

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEP_33 View Post
Do we know if the Ordsall Chord still expected to open by the December 2017 timetable change?
That's what Network Rail are saying on their Ordsall Chord pages.

PEP_33 liked this post
Old February 10th, 2017, 11:05 AM   #1616
WingTips

Thanks as always for the pics freel...looks like the new Bridge will be an eye catcher when open..certainly the Ordsall Chord will give vastly improved connectivity to the Region.

Freel07 liked this post
Old February 15th, 2017, 02:08 PM   #1617
WingTips

"Metrolink’s new Second City Crossing opens Sunday 26 February"

(Published:15/02/2017)

"Manchester’s transformational new tram line is on track to open to passengers later this month, Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) announced today.

Subject to final testing and commissioning, the first passenger services will run on the new Second City Crossing on Sunday 26 February.
The new line will offer new links and more frequent trams through Manchester city centre, as well as improved service reliability and greater operational flexibility.
This city crossing runs from a major new stop at St Peter’s Square along Cross Street to stops at Exchange Square and Victoria, and will allow more trams to run through the city centre and across the 93-stop network.
The Second City Crossing is the final piece in Metrolink’s £1.5bn ‘big bang’ expansion programme – which has seen extensions to MediaCityUK, East Didsbury, Rochdale via Oldham, Ashton and Manchester Airport.
Importantly, the new line will support the tram network’s future growth by allowing for increased services to run on some lines as demand to travel grows.
Construction work on the new city crossing finished late last year and has been followed by a rigorous testing and commissioning process, including driver training.
When the new line opens, Manchester Airport services will run to the city centre Deansgate-Castlefield stop and, later this year, will continue to Victoria.
Services that currently terminate at Deansgate-Castlefield and Exchange Square will continue across the city centre to Shaw and Crompton and East Didsbury.
Peter Cushing, Transport for Greater Manchester’s Metrolink Director, said: “The return of passenger trams to this area of the city will be a historic day and the culmination of years of hard work. I look forward to our customers right across the tram network experiencing the benefits.
“We are gearing up to make some changes to services from the launch of the new line on Sunday 26 February and you can find out more now at www.metrolink.co.uk.”
Councillor Andrew Fender, Chair of the Transport for Greater Manchester Committee, was one of the first people to ride the new route on a test tram.
He added: “Not only will the Second City Crossing offer more trams through the city – on a more flexible, reliable tram network – but also a fantastic new view of historic Manchester landmarks such as the Royal Exchange and Manchester Town Hall.”
The Second City Crossing is part of the transformational*Grow project which is seeing major investment into city centre infrastructure improvements, including*bus priority measures,*six new and better cycle routes*into the city centre and*major rail improvements.
The first phase of the Second City Crossing opened from Victoria through to a new stop at Exchange Square in December 2015.
Fast-tracked thanks to the European Regional Development Fund, this section of the new line allowed a six-minute daytime service to run between Shaw and Crompton, Oldham and Exchange Square from Monday to Saturdays.
The Deansgate-Castlefield and Victoria stops have also been upgraded in readiness to handle more services when the Second City Crossing opens later this month.
A campaign is now under way to remind customers of upcoming service changes from Sunday 26 February:
Altrincham – Bury (via Market Street)
Altrincham – Etihad Campus
Bury – Piccadilly
Ashton-under-Lyne – Eccles
MediaCityUK – Piccadilly
Manchester Airport – Deansgate-Castlefield
East Didsbury – Rochdale Town Centre (via Exchange Square)
East Didsbury – Shaw and Crompton (via Exchange Square)

For more information on Metrolink services visit www.metrolink.co.uk, call Metrolink Customer Services on 0161 205 2000 or follow @MCRMetrolink for live travel updates"

http://www.metrolink.co.uk/pages/news.aspx?newsID=461

Old February 17th, 2017, 10:36 AM   #1618
Freel07

I made another visit to the Ordsall Chord Project today.

P1100182 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1100189 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1100218 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1100194 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

It looks as though more of the steel girders have been lifted in since Kermit72 took his shots.

P1100192 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1100198 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1100203 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1100207 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1100232 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

The clear spans which will cross Trinity Way when it returns to its normal alignment. Now the welding cabins have been removed their length is more apparent.

P1100205 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1100221 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Now a quick look at Salford Central.

As Tony_H1 has pointed out more progress is apparent here.

More OLE structures have appeared including the fixed to the arches opposite the station entrance.

P1100237 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1100241 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

and the double twin track cantilever at the top of Platform 2 ramp.

P1100251 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1100252 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Track has appeared (or should that be re-appeared?) alongside what I assume will become Platform 4

P1100254 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1100256 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1100258 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1100262 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1100263 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

This station could be quite a landmark if it hadn't been allowed to decay so much.

P1100264 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1100267 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1100244 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1100243 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr
Old February 21st, 2017, 08:13 PM   #1619
WingTips

Getting geared up for 2CC line opening...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freel07 View Post
On the way to get some lunch after photographing the bridge lift I noticed the VIP tram still in St Peters Square.

DSC_8736 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

DSC_8739 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

DSC_8741 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr
Old February 21st, 2017, 08:15 PM   #1620
WingTips

More from Johnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny de Rivative View Post
At the risk of overkill . . .