daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Kolkata

Kolkata Project news for Kolkata Metropolitan Region - Kolkata, Howrah, Bidhan Nagar (Salt Lake), Nabadiganta (Sector V), New Town, Kalyani

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 43 votes, 4.88 average.
Old November 8th, 2009, 02:27 AM   #1
Suncity
By the ocean

Likes (Received): 3822

Kolkata Roads & Flyovers

"Inauguration of Construction of superstructure of New Jubilee Bridge"

Railway officials must be falling head over heels to please Miss Mamata's 'inauguration' spree in West Bengal. The project was mentioned as early as August 2004 by Eastern Railway's GM. 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Nov and now they come up with this new drama to please a mantrji's whims. Anyway at least something will get built provided the current Railway Minsiter doesn't resign midway.

Suncity no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 8th, 2009, 08:09 AM   #2
SarafIndian

Likes (Received): 71

Good new anyway. This could be another marvel on Hoogly river.

Btw, a typical "bowstring continuous steel truss girder" structure should somewhat look like this:

Last edited by SarafIndian; November 8th, 2009 at 08:23 AM.
SarafIndian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #3
LabanHrad

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncity View Post
"Inauguration of Construction of superstructure of New Jubilee Bridge"

Railway officials must be falling head over heels to please Miss Mamata's 'inauguration' spree in West Bengal. The project was mentioned as early as August 2004 by Eastern Railway's GM. 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Nov and now they come up with this new drama to please a mantrji's whims. Anyway at least something will get built provided the current Railway Minsiter doesn't resign midway.

What is the meaning of "Inauguration of Construction of superstructure of New Jubilee Bridge" ???
It seems the construction has already started a long ago. This is I feel a stunt from the minister, I Planned it and I am executing it stuff, which she is also trying for the E-W. metro
LabanHrad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 09:44 PM   #4
Abhishek901

Likes (Received): 391

I have made a map of map of Kolkata's flyovers using Google maps and Google earth (as I did for Delhi, Mumbai and Bangalore maps). I had no idea of Kolkata's roads before, the only things I knew were the 3 bridges over Hoogly and EM bypass. I just scanned whole of the city with Google earth.

Images of Kolkata are fairly new in Google earth (early to mid 2009), so there is a little chance that a new flyover's construction stared after the images were taken. I have also included those which are under construction like Wipro junc. flyover.

I might have missed some of the existing flyovers by mistake or I may have named them wrongly in the list below, as I have no idea of the city. So you can help in adding the missed ones and renaming the wrongly named ones. I haven't included rail over bridges (ROBs) as the map is for grade separators (flyovers/underpasses) only.

I have used red coloured circles to mark the flyovers. I have also prepared a spreadsheet listing all the grade separators.

Map of Kolkata's flyovers:

List of Kolkata's flyovers:

Abhishek901 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 11:47 PM   #5
Suncity
By the ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek901 View Post
I have made a map of map of Kolkata's flyovers using Google maps and Google earth (as I did for Delhi, Mumbai and Bangalore maps). I had no idea of Kolkata's roads before, the only things I knew were the 3 bridges over Hoogly and EM bypass. I just scanned whole of the city with Google earth.

I haven't included rail over bridges (ROBs) as the map is for grade separators (flyovers/underpasses) only.
Looks good.

Some more

1) Sealdah flyover
2) Ultadanga flyover (u/c)
3) Vip Road one way flyover
4) New Town flyover (u/c)
5) Chitpore one way flyover (but this one also goes above a rail track)
6) Vivekananda Road flyover (proposed)
7) Parama flyover (proposed)

I don't think there is any flyover at the place listed at number 3 in your list.
Old November 29th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #6
Abhishek901

Quote:
1) Sealdah flyover
Done.

Quote:
Are you referring to this one?

Quote:
This one?? I marked it at no. 19 in the list.

Quote:
Couldn't locate it. Can you give me its coordinates, so I can mark it on the map?

Quote:
Yes. It's an ROB, so it won't qualify.

Quote:
Please give coordinates of the crossings where they would be built. Are they just proposed or are they about to start?

Quote:
I don't think there is any flyover at the place listed at number 3 in your list.
It's difficult to find this flyover as it is not above any crossing. I suppose it's purpose is to allow U-turns.

Here is the location of flyover:

And here is a closer look:

I have made changes to the map and list and I will upload the updated ones, once all the changes are done.
Old November 29th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #7
Abhishek901

Quote:
Originally Posted by achemsRaZor View Post
Are there any more trans river bridges under construction? Currently are there 3 - or more?
At present there are 3 exclusive road bridges and I think Vivekananda setu (parallel to Nivedita bridge) is a rail cum road bridge.
Old November 29th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #8
Suncity
By the ocean

I have changed the nomenclature

Old November 29th, 2009, 04:32 PM   #9
Suncity
By the ocean

From Hooghly River Bridge Commission site

http://www.hrbc.in/current.htm

1) Construction Of Nager Bazar Flyover Along Jessore Road With Entry Ramp From Dum Dum Road.

2) Flyover Construction Of A Two Lane Flyover At Intersection No 6 With A Subway On Major Aterial Road At New Town, Kolkata

3) Flyover Construction Of A Six Lane Flyover At Rajarhat Intersection On Major Aterial Road At New Town, Kolkata

4) Construction of Flyover at Salkia, Howrah

Some of the projects are also listed in this KMDA website spreadsheet

http://www.kmdaonline.org/html/UIGS_Schemes101109.xls
Old November 29th, 2009, 04:36 PM   #10
Suncity
By the ocean

Vivekananda Flyover

News about the Vivekananda Flyover. Alignment not known but will connect Howrah Bridge to Girish Park (CR Avenue) in first phase.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...ow/5248938.cms

Quote:
Eighteen months from now, the city can finally zoom on the much-awaited Vivekananda Road flyover. Construction began this week with a
slight change in plan. Realigned, the 2.3-km flyover will connect Girish Park with Howrah Bridge and, with a ramp, give access to the ready-to-be-rejuvenated 180-year-old Mint on Strand Road.

The two-lane flyover will go a long way in improving north Kolkata's connectivity. Its access to the Mint complex, with multi-level car parks, will help ease the parking chaos in that part of the city. The project will cost Rs 153 crore (sanctioned in September 2008).

Pre-construction piling for the speedway started on Monday. The flyover went through a stage of ifs and buts, and the Centre initially scrapped the project, calling it too expensive. The transport department had twice laid the foundation for this flyover but could not proceed due to lack of funds. Then, there were hurdles of shifting traders from the area to facilitate construction. Then, the city's Old Silver Mint a landmark and a symbol of Grecian architecture came in the way.
There is some concern amongst SSCI forumers about the "two lane" thing. Are they referring to the ramp to the proposed Mint Parking lot? Or will the whole flyover be only two lane?

Not sure about the exact alignment but here are the starting and ending points.

Old November 29th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #11
Suncity
By the ocean

News about Parama flyover

Longest flyover takes off

http://www.telegraphindia.com/109112...y_11794419.jsp

Quote:
Work will be starting December, linking the Science City island on the EM Bypass to Park Circus with two aerial rotaries 4.3km apart.

The giant project has been brought out of cold storage after four years — the delay having pushed up the estimated cost from Rs 291 crore to Rs 317.93 crore — as if to underline a beleaguered government’s commitment to fast-track growth in the run-up to Poll 2011.

“It will take two years for the project to be completed. Once the flyover is done, EM Bypass to Park Circus will be a fast-track corridor,” Vivek Bharadwaj, the CEO of the Calcutta Metropolitan Development Authority (CMDA) told Metro.

The urban development department zeroed in on Hindustan Construction Company from six bidders to implement the project.
alignment

Note: This flyover will also cross railway lines.
Old November 29th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #12
Suncity
By the ocean

Quote:
At present there are 3 exclusive road bridges and I think Vivekananda setu (parallel to Nivedita bridge) is a rail cum road bridge.
There are four road bridges in the Metropolitan region

1) Vidyasagar Setu (Second Hooghly Bridge)
2) Rabindra Setu (Howrah Bridge)
3) Nivedita Setu (second Vivekananda Bridge)
4) Ishwar Gupta Setu (http://wikimapia.org/130917/Ishwar-Gupta-Setu)

There is road + rail bridge

1) Vivekananda Setu (Willingdon Bridge)

There is a rail bridge

1) Jubilee Bridge

which BTW is being replaced by a supposedly Sydney Harbour look alike bridge. News here.
Old November 29th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #13
SarafIndian

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Kazi Nazrul flyover has a large extension over the VIP road side. The pillars have been lined the both sides of the VIP road. I tried to mark them on the pics.

Old November 29th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #14
arijeetb
Arijeet

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:
Vivekananda Flyover

News about the Vivekananda Flyover. Alignment not known but will connect Howrah Bridge to Girish Park (CR Avenue) in first phase.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...ow/5248938.cms

There is some concern amongst SSCI forumers about the "two lane" thing. Are they referring to the ramp to the proposed Mint Parking lot? Or will the whole flyover be only two lane?

Not sure about the exact alignment but here are the starting and ending points.

phase 01 from Howrah bridge to Girish park will be two-lane. not sure about phase 02.
arijeetb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #15
arijeetb
Arijeet

EM Bypass/VIP Road flyover - U/C
photo cc arijeetb

Old November 30th, 2009, 07:47 AM   #16
rupakd

Likes (Received): 137

Comprehensive Mobility Plan - 2025 : By KMDA

Outer Ring Road

Inner Ring Road
rupakd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 01:33 PM   #17
Abhishek901

Quote:
I have changed the nomenclature

Are you sure that what you marked as VIP road - Salt lake flyover is actually a flyover ? What I can see is, it is a left turn for traffic and does not goes over (or crosses over) any of the traffic lines. It seems to be small bridge over canal/drain (don't understand why it is so much elevated).

I will not have internet connectivity for the next week and I will have to depend on internet cafe. So I will incorporate all the additions/changes after a week. Meanwhile you can confirm the doubts and if you come across any new info on the future projects, then do post their link here.
Old November 30th, 2009, 02:28 PM   #18
arijeetb
Arijeet

Quote:
Are you sure that what you marked as VIP road - Salt lake flyover is actually a flyover ? What I can see is, it is a left turn for traffic and does not goes over (or crosses over) any of the traffic lines. It seems to be small bridge over canal/drain (don't understand why it is so much elevated).

I will not have internet connectivity for the next week and I will have to depend on internet cafe. So I will incorporate all the additions/changes after a week. Meanwhile you can confirm the doubts and if you come across any new info on the future projects, then do post their link here.
The marking Salt lake -VIP flyover is the existing slip road for left turning vehicles.

The flyover ( sections of it marked in blue) is more like a "bypass" of two heavily congested signals in Ultadanga (marked in the image) . It takes off at EM Bypass ( as 4 lanes seperated by a median), then goes over the canal and end up as two opposite flanks on VIP road for inbound and outbound traffic.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 01:40 PM   #19
studdmanster
<!error detected>

Likes (Received): 500

Quote:
Looks good.

Some more

1) Sealdah flyover

Sun I think u have missed out the flyover @ Dhakuria
studdmanster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 04:25 PM   #20
arijeetb
Arijeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdmanster View Post
Sun I think u have missed out the flyover @ Dhakuria
you mean the one over jadavpur thana? I fear that will remain a proposal for ever The one alongside South city Mall was shelved.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: