daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 27th, 2006, 04:55 PM   #241
mrtfreak

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
this isn't automated right?
Yep. STAR is manually operated, so therefore I think it should've been human error. Thank goodness there were no injuries. This reminds me a LOT of Spider-man 2.

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction
JRL Construction

Search Google Translate for "Death" in Czech. :lol:
mrtfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #242
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2080

You watched too many movies.

Should this fit in the "Whoops", "I didn't do it" or "What do you mean, that extension hasn't been built yet?" category?
Old October 28th, 2006, 03:07 AM   #243
forrestcat

Likes (Received): 7

WTF!!!!!!!

Things seem to be going crazy with KL's LRTs recently.
forrestcat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 03:16 AM   #244
forrestcat

More pics from an utusan article,the article's it's in Malay so no point posting it here.

Old October 28th, 2006, 08:05 AM   #245
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

That's 3 major problems in only 5 months....serious concerns with the quality of operations at SPNB

Prasarana (SPNB-National Infrastructure Company) and RapidKL have certainly got some explaining to do.
[/
Not to mention, if you look at the pic forrestcat just posted, it seems like there are no barriers to stop the train at the end of the guideway...it looks like a regular bridge railing.....I know there is a buffer but it is may have been weakly designed

Some quotes from the article in the Star http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story...nation&focus=1

"A TNB (National Power Co) worker close to the scene said it was fortunate that the train did not fall off completely because there was an electricity substation underneath the stabling area.

“If it had struck the substation, it would probably have exploded,” he said."

and

"Yesterday’s incident was the latest in a spate of problems affecting Kuala Lumpur's LRT system.

A computer glitch on July 24 caused trains on the Kelana Jaya Line, formerly Putra-LRT, to stall.

About a month later, services were disrupted due to flooding at the unused Seri Rampai station on the Kelana Jaya Line.

On Oct 6, services between Masjid Jamek and Terminal Putra, also on the Kelana Jaya line, were disrupted for 10 hours when a train stalled near Damai station."

Cheers, m

Last edited by allurban; October 28th, 2006 at 08:14 AM.
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #246
forrestcat

There was a barrier but it fell of the embankment .
Old October 29th, 2006, 05:12 AM   #247
allurban
All Urban

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestcat View Post
There was a barrier but it fell of the embankment .
eek

Since the LRT is elevated...having the train fall of the end of the guideway is not a good thing....so all would expect/hope that the barrier would be strong enough to stop a fast moving train......

It seems like this barrier wasnt strong enough to stop a slow moving train....Would it be too much to hope that barrier would be strong enough to stop a slow moving train?

Crazy...and methinks someone is losing his job over this incident

Cheers, m
Old October 29th, 2006, 06:48 AM   #248
forrestcat

Is it possible that some automated fail face mechanism reacted to prevent the train from plunging from the embankment completely? TNB did say that the power station below the embankment would explode if it did.

Malaysia is lucky to have averted such a disaster?

Would an automated LRT system cause an incident like this? I have red that some automated LRTs do sometimes miss stations due to computer glitches?
Old October 29th, 2006, 07:14 AM   #249
mrtfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alargule View Post
You watched too many movies.
I'm a media student. What do you expect me to watch?

I dunno, usually there should be a power trip forrestcat. That means a gap in the 3rd rail so that in case of over shooting power would go out temporarily. But yeah, the buffer is meant to stop slow moving trains only and not fast moving trains. I suppose this would have been a case of the train moving a a higher speed than the buffer was designed to handle. I think they need to probably lengthen the over run track a little and provide no 3rd rail for power and probably some mechanism that could absorb the impact and slow down a train.

I've never heard of an automated system overshooting a station but undershooting I've seen.

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction
JRL Construction

Old October 29th, 2006, 01:50 PM   #250
chico_pastor
A vida em movimento!MP :)

Likes (Received): 0

Wow!
A HUGE human error we must say!
And lots of luck for being stucked in that position...!
Old October 29th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #251
brianlee
Out

Not to be insulting or mean or anything but KL has had quite a few such major LRT accidents recently and this may damage the honour of being a world-class transport system and ruin the confidence in the users that the system is safe and reliable. Furthermore the recent increase in incidents regarding the safety of the LRT has happened in such a short period. I think someone should do something, perhaps the government or RapidKL itself.
brianlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #252
mrtfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlee View Post
Not to be insulting or mean or anything but KL has had quite a few such major LRT accidents recently and this may damage the honour of being a world-class transport system and ruin the confidence in the users that the system is safe and reliable. Furthermore the recent increase in incidents regarding the safety of the LRT has happened in such a short period. I think someone should do something, perhaps the government or RapidKL itself.
They are trying. Especially so in recent years and the network has expanded well for KL over the years. Mistakes do happen, ever operator will face such challenges at times. They just take different forms. And if commuting by rail is a daily routine, I'd think that the commuters would not be affected so adversely simply because they have no choice. And I'm sure that the government and associated authorities will look into the matter seriously as such an incident could endanger lives and lead to legal suits.

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction
JRL Construction

Old October 29th, 2006, 07:00 PM   #253
forrestcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlee View Post
Errr....are computer glitches considered MAJOR accidents...
Old October 30th, 2006, 11:15 AM   #254
nazrey

Likes (Received): 11230

Foreign expert to help solve LRT service woes
Monday October 30, 2006
By SIMON KHOO
TheStar

MAKING HIS MARK: Chan signing a plaque to mark the opening of the Hin Ann Association building in Kuantan.

KUANTAN: A foreign consultant will be appointed soon to conduct a comprehensive audit of the condition of the light rail transit’s rolling stock, Transport Minister Datuk Seri Chan Kong Choy said.

He said the ministry was looking at hiring a consultant from Germany or from another European country which had expertise and vast experience in the field.

“As the minister, I cannot accept the fact that three incidents involving the LRT system had occurred within a period of three months.

“These are no longer isolated incidents although no human casualties were involved,” he said after opening the Hin Ann Association building here yesterday.

On Friday, a coach of the Rapid KL Ampang LRT Line (formerly known as Star-LRT) overshot the end of its track and ended up dangling about 25m above the ground near the Sentul Timur station.

The Kelana Jaya Line (formerly Putra-LRT) also experienced disruption to its services twice over the past three months, leaving thousands of passengers stranded.

Chan said a preliminary report on the latest incident would be submitted to him today.

“I will make the report public as it is a matter of public interest. Action will be taken if human negligence is found to be the cause,” he said, adding that those responsible could be charged under the Railways Act 1991.

Chan said the ministry viewed the matter seriously as it might affect public confidence in the LRT services.

“Let this be a reminder to the operating firms not to take things for granted.

“We will not compromise on the safety aspects,” he said.

Chan said the LRT services would still operate as usual and assured the public that the system was “up and working well.”

“As a responsible government, we must take pro-active measures now and not after a tragedy happens,” he said.

Chan said the Government would still proceed with the expansion plans involving the LRT system as part of the country’s agenda to improve the public transportation system.
nazrey está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 01:16 PM   #255
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2080

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtfreak View Post
I'm a media student. What do you expect me to watch?
Hey, that's great! I was, too, and recently graduated. Always thought the combination of media student and rail fan was rather unique...
Old October 30th, 2006, 03:06 PM   #256
allurban
All Urban

When did RapidKL start painting the STARline trains with the red and black livery?

Cheers, m
Old October 30th, 2006, 03:41 PM   #257
brianlee
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestcat View Post
Errr....are computer glitches considered MAJOR accidents...
It actually depends on the effects of the computer glitches. In this case, the Star LRT in KL is not fully automatic like the Putra LRT or the Northeast Line in Singapore.

In Singapore, there were a few incidents regarding computer glitches in two of Singapore's transit system. The was an accident on the Bukit Panjang LRT Line that happened in 2000 where a train car rammed head-on into another car parked at a station, causing a few injuries. To me this is considered quite major.

There have been one or two minor techincal flaws on Singapore's NEL system where the trains came to a halt for minutes but this have been classified as minor and the system was up and running not long later...

On the Putra LRT, two major accidents on the 24th July and 6th Oct have severely affected and once resulted in a shut down of the entire line. Hundreds were trapped in the trains underground and it wasn't until much later that firemen arrived to pry open the doors and evacuate the trains. Some train passengers were so frantic that they broke open windows and pried open the doors themselves in order for a breath of air. If I'm not wrong, 4 fainted... Do you find this major?
brianlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 04:40 PM   #258
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18153

Report: Foreign consultant to help probe Kuala Lumpur railway mishaps
29 October 2006

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) - The government will appoint a European consultant to help investigate a spate of incidents that have shaken public confidence in a light rail transit system in Malaysia's biggest city, a news report said Sunday.

On Friday, a train on Kuala Lumpur's light rail transit system overshot the end of the track and ended up with half of a coach dangling 25 meters (80 feet) above ground. Only the driver was on board and nobody was injured.

"We can't wait for another more serious incident to happen before taking action," Transport Minister Chan Kong Choy was quoted by national news agency Bernama as saying.

On Oct. 6, a train stalled, halting services on one track for 10 hours. Floods disrupted services at one station on Aug. 23, stranding some 5,000 commuters there for an hour. A computer glitch on July 24 caused trains on a main line to stall.

Consultants from Germany and other European countries have been shortlisted to help the Railway Department investigate the cause of Malaysia's light rail problems and decide what action should be taken against those responsible, Chan was cited as saying.

He urged train operators to ensure that their staff are well-skilled and efficient.

Chan and railway officials could not be reached for comment Sunday.

The government recently allocated 10 billion ringgit (US$2.7 billion; euro2.1 billion) to improve urban public transportation to help ease traffic congestion and ease pressure on car users from rising oil prices.

Only 16 percent of Kuala Lumpur residents use public transport compared to 60 percent in Seoul, 56 percent in Singapore and 54 percent in Manila, officials have said.

Earlier this month, the government inked a 1.2 billion ringgit (US$333 million; euro262 million) deal to buy 35 light rail transit trains from a consortium led by a subsidiary of Canada's Bombardier Inc. to boost the light rail transit system in Kuala Lumpur.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #259
forrestcat

Yes,the technical glitches unfortunately occurred too frequent these past months. with the Putra LRTs .I may have been a bit defensive when the word 'major' were used to describe these technical glitches,I interpret major accidents would involve death and serious casualties rather several people fainting but these incidents must be handled seriously by SPNB.
Old October 31st, 2006, 08:33 AM   #260
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3688

OMG....not safe not safe...

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
kuala lumpur