daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 9th, 2007, 07:18 PM   #321
Julio Villamizar
Santandereano, Bumangués.

Likes (Received): 50

awsome....beautifull and very ordered
London, UK the city that expanded my vision
Santiago de Cali, COL the city that involved me in the Marketing science
Bogotá D.C, COL the city where I found out what I really want
Julio Villamizar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2007, 09:41 AM   #322
awangmamat

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestcat View Post
Since KTM uses narrow gauge,the commuter trains are so narrow and gets full quickly.KTM should consider using longer trains,at least 6 coaches per train like the STAR LRT. It's kinda funny that the platform at KTM commuter stations are longer than the trains.
I agree. KTM should also start converting its fleet into coaches with wider doors for faster boarding and disembarking. A new seating arrangement would also be helpful.
awangmamat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #323
pedang
One Malaysia

Likes (Received): 38

nice pics
hopefuly the new 4 LRT/Monorel lines would be start on this year.
Old February 10th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #324
tomkat
Bushido

Likes (Received): 282

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestcat View Post
Since KTM uses narrow gauge,the commuter trains are so narrow and gets full quickly.KTM should consider using longer trains,at least 6 coaches per train like the STAR LRT. It's kinda funny that the platform at KTM commuter stations are longer than the trains.
Why would that be funny?
It is similar in many other services in the world.

Funny is if the train is longer than the platform.
tomkat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 05:39 AM   #325
forrestcat

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkat View Post
Why would that be funny?
It is similar in many other services in the world.

Funny is if the train is longer than the platform.
I ave red a blog by S'porean who noted funnily how the KTM Komuter trains are so short eventhough it's a commuter service .

As for the length of Komuters,I believe it's necessary to increase the no. of coaches per train,I ave often had to stand from Shah Alam-KL Sentral as the train is so full most of the time. More people are using public transportation and KTM should adapt by either using longer trains or increase the frequency.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forrestcat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 01:26 AM   #326
nazrey

Likes (Received): 5939

Quote:

The Kuala Lumpur monorail system in Malaysia opened 31 August 2003, and serves 11 stations running 8.6 km with two parallel elevated tracks. It connects Kuala Lumpur's main station KL Sentral with the "Golden Triangle". It was built for RM1.18 billion by KL Infrastructure Group Berhad (KL Infra) that holds a 40-year concession to operate the monorail. The system utilises permanently coupled 2-car trains, which are able to accommodate 158 passengers each during regular operations. The monorail carriages themselves were built by a Malaysian company.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- |
|
|
|
|
|

Alor Setar, Ipoh, Johor Bahru, Kangar, Kota Bahru, Kota Kinabalu, Kuantan, Kuala Terengganu, Kuching, Seremban, Shah Alam, etc!
nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 01:35 AM   #327
nazrey

- |
|
|
|
|
|

Alor Setar, Ipoh, Johor Bahru, Kangar, Kota Bahru, Kota Kinabalu, Kuantan, Kuala Terengganu, Kuching, Seremban, Shah Alam, etc!
Old February 13th, 2007, 05:46 AM   #328
mrtfreak

Likes (Received): 140

Its a good start with that modification on the first generation of trains. But what is a problem is the doors. Single doors aren't great, it causes bottlenecks. At least they removed that wall now, so hopefully it helps boarding and disembarking efficiency.

The second and third generation trains are better with double doors. But yes, longer trains would be good. Why not start with 4-cars? Then if demand warrants, they could go up to 6 cars. Another good idea would be to have walk-through features, since this allows passengers to move to areas where there are less people and more space. Currently, the doors in between carriages may be a hinderance in terms of visibility.

Another option, would be for trains to turn around at half-way points. For instance, on the Pel. Klang - Sentul line, alternate trains could run Pel. Klang - Sentul and Shah Alam - Sentul. This would boost capacity and frequency along the stretch of line that needs it. For the Rawang - Seremban line, similar trips could be made.

Search Google Translate for "Death" in Czech. :lol:
mrtfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 07:29 AM   #329
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 5

Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtfreak View Post
Its a good start with that modification on the first generation of trains. But what is a problem is the doors. Single doors aren't great, it causes bottlenecks. At least they removed that wall now, so hopefully it helps boarding and disembarking efficiency.

The second and third generation trains are better with double doors. But yes, longer trains would be good. Why not start with 4-cars? Then if demand warrants, they could go up to 6 cars. Another good idea would be to have walk-through features, since this allows passengers to move to areas where there are less people and more space. Currently, the doors in between carriages may be a hinderance in terms of visibility.

Another option, would be for trains to turn around at half-way points. For instance, on the Pel. Klang - Sentul line, alternate trains could run Pel. Klang - Sentul and Shah Alam - Sentul. This would boost capacity and frequency along the stretch of line that needs it. For the Rawang - Seremban line, similar trips could be made.
Methinks they may as well invest in a4carriage modern EMU. Consider the versatility of the Siemens Desiro that is used on the KLIA Ekpres and KLIA Transit. I think they should obtain something similar, but with longer cars.

At this time...how old are the different generations?

1st Gen - Jenbacher - Austria
2nd Gen - Union Carriage - South Africa
3rd Gen - name unknown - Korea
4th Gen - ????

Is there a plan for an updated new generation of the KTM Komuter EMUs? A timeframe? Perhaps they will resemble the new EMUs being purchased for the Ipoh-KL train? What is going on with the purchase of those trains?

What about the Sri Petaling LRT line? Any plans to update the ADTranz trains with something else? Is Bombardier (now owner of ADTranz) marketing any train that would be appropriate for the SriPetaling/Ampang LRT lines?

While Im at it...is KTM advertising the return of the train to Ipoh (especially as an option for balik kampung during the CNY holiday)?

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 08:07 AM   #330
mrtfreak

Well, what could be done would be to obtain a permanently coupled EMU. Then they could have another permanently coupled trailer section which can be used when capacity warrants. The system doesn't have PSDs, hence no problem of operating trains with different numbers of cars.

What I meant about the permanently coupled EMU:

EMU set 1: A-car, B-car + B-car, A-car :EMU set 2

With the trailer section:
A-car, B-car + C-car, C-car, + B-car, A-car

*+ represents connections.

At the moment I think that the Sri Petaling & Ampang line trains have enough capacity to meet passenger loads and there's no real need to supplement or replace rolling stock with additional trains. If modifications were to be made, I would go for enabling full-train walkthrough features.

Back to Komuter...

Gen 1 - started revenue service in 1995
Gen 2 & 3 - started revenue service between 1998 and 1999

I'm sure one of the current generations of rolling stock came from the UK. Probably the one with the silver sections on the sides, not sure which gen that is.

Old February 13th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #331
nazrey

2007 is year of visit Malaysia tag "celebrate 50 years anniversary of nationhood".This "Hop on Hop off" tourist bus which launched in Kuala Lumpur can purchase a 'daily pass' travel around 40 tourism hotspot in klang valley.
visit www.myhoponhopoff.com for more information.
Happy New Year and Welcome to Malaysia

by Alastair Knowles

image hosted on flickr

- |
|
|
|
|
|

Old February 13th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #332
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
I'm sure one of the current generations of rolling stock came from the UK. Probably the one with the silver sections on the sides, not sure which gen that is.
The flat-fronted trains look a lot like the British class 323.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 09:13 AM   #333
mrtfreak

That's probably the one. I just remembered that the trains were from UK, Austria and South Africa.

Old February 15th, 2007, 04:16 PM   #334
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
That's probably the one. I just remembered that the trains were from UK, Austria and South Africa.
Actually I was wrong. The KTM Komuter trains I though were British were made in Austria by Jenbacher. The other two classes are South African and South Korean.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 08:46 PM   #335
r2

Likes (Received): 1

i HAVE to say that KL is one of the most impressive cities that I have seen ... or rather, explored virtually though sites like this one ... looks like a tropical paradise ... handsome, well planned ... full urban amenities ... and absolutely spotlessly clean. not to be cheesy, but it looks like friggin paradise! how hard is it to emigrate there? it's an islamic nation, how tolerant is the malaysian variant of the islamic template?
r2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 07:40 AM   #336
nazrey

Old March 5th, 2007, 06:06 AM   #337
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

It's not difficult Try the MM2H program.

www.mm2h.com

Muslim majority only accounts for slightly more than half of Malaysian population. That means half the country are non-Muslims. Generally, Muslims in Malaysia are mild, gentle and moderate. Overall speaking, all Malaysians live in harmony though occasionally there are some racial arguments but fights or riots are very rarely seen

By the way, Malaysia is not an Islamic nation, the country is run by secular laws similiar to UK. Cheers

- Regardless of race, language or religion, to build a democratic society, based on justice and equality, so as to achieve happiness, prosperity & progress for our nation.
Lastresorter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #338
allurban
All Urban

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2 View Post
i HAVE to say that KL is one of the most impressive cities that I have seen ... or rather, explored virtually though sites like this one ... looks like a tropical paradise ... handsome, well planned ... full urban amenities ... and absolutely spotlessly clean. not to be cheesy, but it looks like friggin paradise! how hard is it to emigrate there? it's an islamic nation, how tolerant is the malaysian variant of the islamic template?
hahahah dont let the good looks fool you. Malaysia is a lovely country that it puts on its best face for the tourists.

This is not unreasonable tho...Im very happy to have lived here for 2 years and am enjoying my 3rd. I would likely stay longer...and I dont drive a car or enjoy living in a "shopper's paradise" or need to travel everywhere.

Malaysia...has a lot going for it Got to be honest, tho, descriptions like "handsome, well-planned" and "abolutely spotlessly clean" put a smile on my face.

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 06:11 AM   #339
Leeigh

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by allurban View Post
hahahah dont let the good looks fool you. Malaysia is a lovely country that it puts on its best face for the tourists.

This is not unreasonable tho...Im very happy to have lived here for 2 years and am enjoying my 3rd. I would likely stay longer...and I dont drive a car or enjoy living in a "shopper's paradise" or need to travel everywhere.

Malaysia...has a lot going for it Got to be honest, tho, descriptions like "handsome, well-planned" and "abolutely spotlessly clean" put a smile on my face.

Cheers, m
Malaysia is not perfect just like any other countries in the world but not too shabby...to say that 'it puts on its best face for the tourists'...that is an unfair statement, like saying that Malaysians are nice to tourists and talk shit behind their back, tourists are welcomed to check out the country sides and explore the multi faceted Malaysia...nothing is hidden from the tourists...including the slumps and all the back alleys..
I have lived in several cities in the states and I must say...none of these cities are perfect and and as a matter of fact KL is better in a lotta ways.
Leeigh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 01:36 PM   #340
nazrey

Quote:

Rapid KL, short for Rangkaian Pengangkutan Integrasi Deras Sdn Bhd is a government-owned company which was formed in 2004 as part of the restructuring of the public transport system in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia's capital.

Rapid KL, which is 100%-owned by the government, is the operator of Kuala Lumpur's three light rail transit (LRT) lines. It is also the largest stage bus (regular or trunk bus route) and feeder bus operator in Kuala Lumpur.

All assets of the LRT and bus service is owned by another government-owned company, Syarikat Prasarana Negara Berhad (SPNB) which was also formed under the restructing process.

Kelana Jaya LRT line

Sri Petaling LRT line

Ampang LRT line

Tags
kuala lumpur