daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 18th, 2007, 02:44 PM   #341
nazrey

Likes (Received): 11230

nazrey está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #342
nazrey

Rapid KL City Shuttle

Inside the bus
by travellator

Old March 21st, 2007, 12:36 PM   #343
direction_magnitude

Likes (Received): 0

Visit our brand new website on transit system!

Guys, great pics of the transit system... either authentic or by our buddies in www.Ktmrailwayfan.com. The Flkir Runding S/B map is, what can i say... Fantastic, but too ahead of time perhaps.

Why not come and lepak in http://transit.vectordesigns.org website, and if possible, provide us whatever latest news or information you know about Malaysia's transport system.

We appreciate your feedback, thank you very much
direction_magnitude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 12:37 PM   #344
direction_magnitude

Visit our brand new website on transit system!

Guys, great pics of the transit system... either authentic or by our buddies in www.Ktmrailwayfan.com. The Flkir Runding S/B map is, what can i say... Fantastic, but too ahead of time perhaps.

Why not come and lepak in http://transit.vectordesigns.org website, and if possible, provide us whatever latest news or information you know about Malaysia's transport system.

direction_magnitude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 06:49 AM   #345
nazrey

Rapid KL

Old March 24th, 2007, 06:52 AM   #346
nazrey

Rapid KL @ KL sentral station

by ariffjrs

by teddybearhijo

Last edited by nazrey; March 25th, 2007 at 07:46 AM.
Old March 26th, 2007, 12:58 PM   #347
nazrey

Major upgrade for RapidKL
Monday March 26, 2007
TheStar

PETALING JAYA: RapidKL is revitalising its bus network, which should see major improvements over the existing one that was introduced in January last year.

Without going into too much detail, RapidKL chief operating officer Mohd Ali Mohd Nor said the company would announce the improvements for the 4,000 sq km network it covers in the Klang Valley next month.

“For a start, the issue of too many transfers will be dealt with almost immediately. There will be minimal transfers,” he said.

Mohd Ali added that MPs and residential association heads of the six areas serviced by RapidKL buses would be briefed on the upcoming changes.

Mohd Ali is also inviting the public to provide feedback on what they expect from the bus company in order to convert car users to bus users.

“If you compare the network from what it was before we took over, there has been a lot of improvement. There is certainty in getting a bus now, with a 30-minute waiting time being terrible.

“So the question is, what are the public's expectations of a bus company in KL considering we are limited by certain factors,” he added.

Mohd Ali said the process of getting bus lanes approved was slow but should bus lanes work as they were meant to, then RapidKL would definitely be speedier and people could afford to wake up 30 minutes later for work.

“I don't think many people enjoy driving their cars into the city these days. But the only reason the bus is no better than the car is because buses also get stuck in traffic jams.

“One of the main purposes of RapidKL coming into the picture is to attract car users, but we need to know what they want and expect,” he said.

However, Mohd Ali admitted that it was a chicken-and-egg situation as long as there was no compelling reason for car users to switch.

“The public transport system has to be in place first with the proper infrastructure, then the different measures to push people towards public transport can be implemented.”

Mohd Ali said RapidKL was getting to that stage of readiness, noting that ridership had increased by about 40% when the local, trunk and city shuttle services were introduced last year.
Old March 28th, 2007, 08:07 PM   #348
White_soX

KL Monorail looks very good, but the service is at the worst. It takes a long time to catch the train, everytime I was there, I hv to wait 20 minutes to get the train, I know why, because it is driven by a driver..... Any plan to add more train?
White_soX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #349
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by direction_magnitude View Post

Good idea, but those forums need to be cleaned out. I think I am the only person who has posted a real question, the rest are all advertisements and spam postings....

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 03:03 PM   #350
nazrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazrey View Post
::Kuala Lumpur Public Transport::

KLIA Ekspres is a non-stop, airport rail link service between Kuala Lumpur Sentral (KL Sentral) and the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) in Malaysia. The service is run by Express Rail Link Snd.Bhd. which began its operations on 14 April 2002.

KLIA Transit is a rail service linking Kuala Lumpur, the capital of Malaysia, and the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) operated by Express Rail Link Sdn Bhd (ERL). It shares the same tracks as the KLIA Ekspres but unlike the direct airport express service, KLIA Transit stops at three other stations.

Both KLIA Transit and KLIA Ekspres services are often reffered to by Malaysians simply as ERL.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Express Rail Link starts major cost-saving programme
By Sharen Kaur
April 3 2007

RAIL operator Express Rail Link Sdn Bhd (ERLSB), which holds the concession to run high-speed rail services between the KL Sentral Station and the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) in Sepang, has embarked on a major operation and energy cost-saving plan for each trip made by its fleet of trains, through the deployment of several key energy-saving programmes.

ERL Maintenance Support Sdn Bhd (Emas) acting chief executive officer (CEO) Thomas Baake said the first of such programme implemented in 2003 had reduced the energy cost per trip from RM65.56 to RM62.11 in 2005.

"This translated into a total savings of about RM300,000 and we expect to continue our efforts in this aspect. It is also our responsibility to provide environment-friendly high-speed rail services. Cost-saving will come as a windfall benefit," Baake told Business Times.

Emas is the maintenance support unit of ERLSB, which is 50 per cent owned by YTL Corp Bhd, with Tabung Haji Technologies Sdn Bhd holding 40 per cent and Nadicorp Holdings Sdn Bhd the remaining 10 per cent.

It operates and maintains eight express trains that run 135 services daily on a modern electrical rail system between KL Sentral and KLIA, and four transit trains running 78 services a day, stopping at three intermediate stations in Bandar Tasik Selatan, Putrajaya/Cyberjaya and Salak Tinggi.

The trains have built-in energy-saving features and no direct emissions of pollutants.

"A task force comprising Emas and ERLSB officials has been formed to look at ways to reduce, re-use and recycle products and materials used within the company to minimise its operational cost," said Baake, who will be Emas' new CEO affective April 6.

He was previously the safety and security manager for the ERL system for five years and has with him some 36 years of experience in railway matters.

"Emas has a target this year. We need to optimise the use of air-conditioning and spend some RM50,000 to install meters in all our trains. The meters will enable us to determine how much energy has been consumed per trip and how much more can we save," he said.

He also said that each train, which has a life span of between 30 and 40 years, is usually overhauled after running 1.5 million kilometres, at least over four years.

The depot to maintain and overhaul the trains, as well as the company's administration building is in Salak Tinggi.

Emas also carries out condition- monitoring at the depot to make projections as to when changes should be made for each train to operate well.

The track works, spanning 57km, are maintained by Syarikat Pembenaan Yeoh Tiong Lay Sdn Bhd, a wholly-owned unit of YTL.

"It is our responsibility to ensure that these services are safe, reliable, economical and environment-friendly. We have some 13,000 passengers who make use of the services each day," Baake said.

On another issue, Baake said that there are no plans at the moment to increase the size of its fleet.

"When the project was launched in April 2002, there were plans to include more trains at a later stage. But at the moment, we find the services running sufficiently," he added.
Old April 4th, 2007, 07:05 PM   #351
nazrey

Express Rail Link (ERL)
by biatch0r of flickr.com

Old April 4th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #352
Skyprince
Asian boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by White soX
KL Monorail looks very good, but the service is at the worst. It takes a long time to catch the train, everytime I was there, I hv to wait 20 minutes to get the train, I know why, because it is driven by a driver..... Any plan to add more train?
Agree 100% !! Even in KL Sentral station there is no ticket dispensing machines ! I already filed a complaint to KL Monorail, hope they will take actions asap !
Skyprince no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #353
nazrey

KLIA Transit
by shakedbooty

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old April 17th, 2007, 09:40 AM   #354
nazrey

By ariffjrs

Old April 23rd, 2007, 10:13 PM   #355
nazrey

LRT View
by TomatoLens

Old April 24th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #356
Electrify

Likes (Received): 5

I know my views and ideas are controversial, but I really tink with proper invstment and design monorail could become the metro for the 21st century. What we need is a city with enough balls and vision to get behind such a project and do it right.

On that note, KP's LRT system is MUCH better designed than their monorail is.
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 03:57 AM   #357
forrestcat

Likes (Received): 7

Apparently the KL Monorail will be bought by the state firm,Syarikat Prasarana (RapidKL)that operates all the LRTs an the RapidKL buses in the Klang Valley.

Hopefully, besides better management,RapidKL will lengthen the monorails coz its crowded most of the time and extend the monorail line to MidValley.
forrestcat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 09:39 AM   #358
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestcat View Post
Apparently the KL Monorail will be bought by the state firm,Syarikat Prasarana (RapidKL)that operates all the LRTs an the RapidKL buses in the Klang Valley.

Hopefully, besides better management,RapidKL will lengthen the monorails coz its crowded most of the time and extend the monorail line to MidValley.
wow, that is good news, Id like to see better (and more affordable) monorail services...any sources for this info?

a week ago I was driving along Jalan Ampang towards Ampang...actually, driving is the wrong term...I was inching along....

I started thinking, imagine there was a monorail along Jalan Ampang that could carry alot of that traffic directly into the city....

It would be a nice place to put a monorail...Jalan Ampang is a major corridor that is heavily used but too narrow to expand in any way....

I thought...how about a 2 way monorail along Jalan Ampang, from Ampang Jaya to just after KLCC...with a 1 way loop around KLCC and the Golden Triangle. After Ampang Park LRT station, the monorail would split off. The inbound track would go into the Golden Triangle, past KLCC, then over to the river and connect with the existing monorail track....

the Jalan Ampang monorail would now be linked to the existing KL Monorail at the KL Sentral bound track...it would then continue along the existing KL Sentral bound monorail track, serving existing monorail stations at Bukit Nanas, Raja Chulan, and Bukit Bintang

After Bukit Bintang, the Jalan Ampang Monorail would split off, turning left and running towards Jalan Stonor, then up along Jalan Stonor back to Jalan Ampang....

from this routing, there would be an interchange with the existing LRT at Ampang Park, KLCC and Bukit Nanas (near Dang Wangi LRT), future LRT at Raja Chulan, and of course the Ampang LRT station in Ampang

Is it a crazy idea? Of course...but then, it is an interesting idea too...like the extension to MidValley (and Bangsar)....

These ideas do not present the monorail as an alternative to LRT...they let the monorail function at its best...moving people around the city centre

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #359
Electrify

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by allurban View Post
wow, that is good news, Id like to see better (and more affordable) monorail services...any sources for this info?

a week ago I was driving along Jalan Ampang towards Ampang...actually, driving is the wrong term...I was inching along....

I started thinking, imagine there was a monorail along Jalan Ampang that could carry alot of that traffic directly into the city....

It would be a nice place to put a monorail...Jalan Ampang is a major corridor that is heavily used but too narrow to expand in any way....

I thought...how about a 2 way monorail along Jalan Ampang, from Ampang Jaya to just after KLCC...with a 1 way loop around KLCC and the Golden Triangle. After Ampang Park LRT station, the monorail would split off. The inbound track would go into the Golden Triangle, past KLCC, then over to the river and connect with the existing monorail track....

the Jalan Ampang monorail would now be linked to the existing KL Monorail at the KL Sentral bound track...it would then continue along the existing KL Sentral bound monorail track, serving existing monorail stations at Bukit Nanas, Raja Chulan, and Bukit Bintang

After Bukit Bintang, the Jalan Ampang Monorail would split off, turning left and running towards Jalan Stonor, then up along Jalan Stonor back to Jalan Ampang....

from this routing, there would be an interchange with the existing LRT at Ampang Park, KLCC and Bukit Nanas (near Dang Wangi LRT), future LRT at Raja Chulan, and of course the Ampang LRT station in Ampang

Is it a crazy idea? Of course...but then, it is an interesting idea too...like the extension to MidValley (and Bangsar)....

These ideas do not present the monorail as an alternative to LRT...they let the monorail function at its best...moving people around the city centre

Cheers, m
Cool to see I'm not the only one who thinks monorail is a good form of transit. Whenever I bring the idea up in the Toronto forums, I find it is not a very a popular idea, to say the least...

However, the way we run LRT here (at-grade), I could see monorail becoming an alternative to LRT, if people would open their minds to it at least. But Kuala Lumpur runs most of their LRT above grade, it is definitely a better means of moving people longer distances.

On that note, since (from what I've seen) KL's metro doesn't run at-grade with other vehicles, how come they don't use heavy rail instead??? From what I've seen on YouTube at least, heavy rail is faster and can carry larger trains than light rail.
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #360
mrtfreak

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrify View Post
On that note, since (from what I've seen) KL's metro doesn't run at-grade with other vehicles, how come they don't use heavy rail instead??? From what I've seen on YouTube at least, heavy rail is faster and can carry larger trains than light rail.
Space constraints. Larger trains require longer stations, wider stations, wider tunnels and wider guideways. KL is pretty dense in the city and heavy rail would not be able to be implemented in the city areas. Already, they managed to squeeze in the STAR system, but that runs pretty near to existing buildings. Heavy rail also may shake more and cause more vibrations than light rail which could damage buildings if built in close proximity. If you have the chance, look at the STAR system in terms of vibration and noise compared to the PUTRA system (operating on linear induction motor system similar if not totally the same as Vancouver's system).

Apart from that, infrastructure for heavy rail would cost more again (rolling stock, building materials). Its sort of a toss up between reach versus capacity. Ultimately, both combined will make pleasant travel but in this case the go-men needed the rail lines to recuperate as much as possible financially which is achievable through reach. Its much more cost effective to pack everyone into several cars when the trains can go further than if they had more capacity and less reach. But now they're expanding the PUTRA trains which is a welcome move.

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction
JRL Construction

Search Google Translate for "Death" in Czech. :lol:
mrtfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
kuala lumpur