daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Latin American & Caribbean Forums > Latinscrapers > Foros de El Caribe > Foro del Caribe - Caribbean Forum > Foros locales de El Caribe - Caribbean Local Forums > Trinidad & Tobago Forum

Old December 23rd, 2009, 04:52 PM   #1
vitasjm

Likes (Received): 10

Bridge or Tunnel to Venezuela | What do you think?

With all the upcoming Panamerican Highway projects on the main continent and the strenghting of trade ties among Latin American countries, it seems like high time to take big step. Most trinis when thinking of the biggest and best project Trinidad could have is constructing a bridge to our sister isle Tobago, but such a project might be outside our grasp.
A most feasible project would be either a bridge or tunnel or combination to Venezuela which is much closer to Trinidad than Tobago. It would facilate trucking to anywhere in the Americas (with the completion of the Darien Gap highway), we could pipe LNG to Venezuela, increased tourist flow and other goodies.
vitasjm no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 23rd, 2009, 07:19 PM   #2
Trini1

Likes (Received): 5

I really like this idea and have thought about it before even thinking about the possibility of a high speed rail link also! But I do believe we have to strengthen our infrastructure in Trinidad AND Tobago before we move on to such an endearing project which I am in full support of. Provided it is done as a joint project between our two nations and protected by heavy security to prevent drug/human trafficking etc. I also am in support of a bridge between Trinidad and Tobago provided this can be under heavy surveillance and built in the most environmentally friendly way possible as to not destroy marine life- it can be done in a similar way to the planned 'Friendship bridge' between Qatar and Bahrain. It would also need to be tolled etc but judging by the lackadaisical tendencies of our government such a project if planned will not be built within this century.

SO in conclusion:
1. Strengthen our infrastructure e.g. highways, full grade separation for the entire stretch CHR Highway and complete extensions.
2 Then attempt this provided there is a strong cooperation between the two governments.
Trini1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #3
kylekieran

Likes (Received): 0

Smile A underground Highway tunnel

This is a good to have underground tunnel with a pan american highway between Trinidad and Venezuela and the orther of the tunner would be a cargo train line to reduce of shipping cargo between the two countries.
kylekieran no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 05:38 AM   #4
davsot
Perro que ladra no muerde

Likes (Received): 15

I think before they consider the PanAmerican highway they should consider the PanAmerican High Speed Rail.

Why does everyone shun the more efficient form of transportation?

I'm glad they're building the highways, but times are a changing. No one likes highways anymore. European high speed rail actually beat the airlines and in China they are building the biggest HSR system in the world.

Of course in both countries, the political will existed.
davsot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 03:26 PM   #5
kylekieran

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsot View Post
I think before they consider the PanAmerican highway they should consider the PanAmerican High Speed Rail.

Why does everyone shun the more efficient form of transportation?

I'm glad they're building the highways, but times are a changing. No one likes highways anymore. European high speed rail actually beat the airlines and in China they are building the biggest HSR system in the world.

Of course in both countries, the political will existed.
but if they have a rail line service we will have to pay higher cost for the train and the custom then have highway. highway better because you can get in your car and have a day out Trinidad or Venezuela.
kylekieran no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2010, 12:41 AM   #6
davsot
Perro que ladra no muerde

Likes (Received): 15

Why wouldn't you pay customs on a highway? Never seen US-Canada Border Crossings?

Assuming it would cost the same to build a highway or a rail line, which is the more efficient form of transportation?

A bridge from T&T to Venezuela would surely require a heavy toll due to the high cost of the project, so it would end up costing around the same to travel. It all depends if you're on vacation or on a business trip.

If your on business to Caracas, you could take the train.

Of course, if you want to be a heavy consumer, you can take your private car, pay for gasoline, cross the bridge, pay the toll, and keep going.

If you take the train, it would be pay once, get their fast.

You have to take into account a lot of factors so I'm not looking forward to this becoming a topic of discussion, I'm just trying to show that through careful planning, both methods can be equally economically viable, but only one can be efficient.
davsot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 08:28 PM   #7
vitasjm

how it should look

In my view I think it sholud have a multipronged approach by first having three bridges from the western tip of mainland to each of the three westerly island, these bridges should be high to avoid restricting maritime traffic such as the fast ferry. Then from Chacacharae have a tunnel going west but not along the seafloor, a submerged floating tunnel (still in conception) would then be adquate from there to a suitable, close site on Paria Peninsular in Venezuela.

I think making it road vehicular would be great but that would mean an influx of LHD cars in Trinidad from Venezuela.
Old January 4th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #8
roro987
BANNED

coool !!!!
roro987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 05:19 AM   #9
fundicionurbano

Likes (Received): 80

mm good information
fundicionurbano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #10
vitasjm

....Jack promises 'mind-blowing' speech
By Anna Ramdass anna.ramdass@trinidadexpress.com

Story Created: Sep 12, 2010 at 11:50 PM ECT

Story Updated: Sep 12, 2010 at 11:50 PM ECT

Works and Transport Minister Jack Warner says he is set to deliver a "mind-blowing" contribution to the budegt debate, revealing corrupt practices at the Ministry under the former PNM administration.

"So much wastage and so much corruption has taken place in this ministry that what I am going to say in public on Wednesday, it will blow your mind," said Warner.

He was speaking at the ministry's headquarters, Port of Spain, where an appreciation ceremony was held for employees of the Programme for Upgrading Road Efficiency (PURE).

Warner also lashed out at his predecessor Colm Imbert, who accused him of benefiting from PNM ideas.

Warner said he was satisfied with the budgetary allocation for the Works and Transport Ministry.

Questioned on Finance Minister Winston Dookeran's statement in his budget contribution that Government will build a tunnel from Tunapuna to Maracas, Warner said: "It's not a pie-in-the-sky project. Since Dr (Eric) Williams days they have been talking about this."

He said one must never close one's eyes to possibilities, adding he was exploring ideas of building tunnels to Deigo Martin and even Tobago.

Warner said that at the Cabinet meeting on Thursday which lasted for about six hours, it was agreed that some $68,500 monthly will be paid to house the new offices of PURE.

He praised the employees of the PURE programme, saying that Government Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal was with some "PNM people", who told him that the employees of PURE had done in two days what they would have taken three months to do under the PNM.

Warner said Moonilal advised him to show appreciation to the PURE employees and therefore the cocktail and certificate award ceremony was held at the ministry on Thursday in their honour.
Old September 17th, 2010, 06:06 PM   #11
Trini1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitasjm View Post
....Jack promises 'mind-blowing' speech
By Anna Ramdass anna.ramdass@trinidadexpress.com

Story Created: Sep 12, 2010 at 11:50 PM ECT

Story Updated: Sep 12, 2010 at 11:50 PM ECT

Works and Transport Minister Jack Warner says he is set to deliver a "mind-blowing" contribution to the budegt debate, revealing corrupt practices at the Ministry under the former PNM administration.

"So much wastage and so much corruption has taken place in this ministry that what I am going to say in public on Wednesday, it will blow your mind," said Warner.

He was speaking at the ministry's headquarters, Port of Spain, where an appreciation ceremony was held for employees of the Programme for Upgrading Road Efficiency (PURE).

Warner also lashed out at his predecessor Colm Imbert, who accused him of benefiting from PNM ideas.

Warner said he was satisfied with the budgetary allocation for the Works and Transport Ministry.

Questioned on Finance Minister Winston Dookeran's statement in his budget contribution that Government will build a tunnel from Tunapuna to Maracas, Warner said: "It's not a pie-in-the-sky project. Since Dr (Eric) Williams days they have been talking about this."

He said one must never close one's eyes to possibilities, adding he was exploring ideas of building tunnels to Deigo Martin and even Tobago.

Warner said that at the Cabinet meeting on Thursday which lasted for about six hours, it was agreed that some $68,500 monthly will be paid to house the new offices of PURE.

He praised the employees of the PURE programme, saying that Government Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal was with some "PNM people", who told him that the employees of PURE had done in two days what they would have taken three months to do under the PNM.

Warner said Moonilal advised him to show appreciation to the PURE employees and therefore the cocktail and certificate award ceremony was held at the ministry on Thursday in their honour.
My days of naivety are growing old. Im all for these pojects and have posted a few myself but I now see that the things that need to be attended to are our present problems with draining and flood prevention measures, of course road safety(within infrastructure) and crime on the whole. Once these are solved I'm for anything that would make Trinidad's environment, infrastructure and economy boom. If he has plans to build a tunnel to Diego Martin I think he needs to have a proper freeway system backing it up so that free flow traffic can flow from east/south and most importantly through the capital and westwards without the hinderance of traffic and traffic lights. If it means building the causeway or a freeway connected to the rest of trinidad's highway system(like the planned national network of highways) behind the city along the foothills which tunnels through to diego martin then that would be good.
Trini1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 03:05 AM   #12
roanfer

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylekieran View Post
This is a good to have underground tunnel with a pan american highway between Trinidad and Venezuela and the orther of the tunner would be a cargo train line to reduce of shipping cargo between the two countries.
muy cierto!!!!

Tags
autopistas, bridge, puente, trinidad & tobago, tunnel

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: