SkyscraperCity Forum banner

No to Soccer stadium, Yes to Giant store GTFOH

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  TampaMike 
#1 ·
http://www.tampabay.com/news/localg...-n-country-could-become-big-box-store/1060653

These people are stupid, I have an Aunt that lives in that area, she opposed the stadium, they are so Misinformed it's ridiculous, they actually thought it was going to be a stadium the size of Ray J.
When I told them it was only going to be able to hold 5,000 people, I could see there opinion's start to change. But it wasn't like a "oh that's fine build it" .. it was more like "I have no reason to oppose it now, but I still don't want it built"
Frustrating.

#2 ·
:eek:hno:

Have them have their way, they'll realize the mistake down the road. Right now, we need to focus on different locations and not worry about them. Consider the traffic for the stadium would only last a certain hours for a couple days out of a month while a big box store will bring in traffic every minute every day, it's obvious they didn't view this entirely logical.

#7 ·
Would Oldsmar really oppose of this though? I would think they would approve of this since they haven't really complained much about anything recently. NIMBY's would be flapping their arms up at the moment with all the road construction on Race Track Rd and all the houses to the north. Maybe they are but we cant hear them, guess it's a good thing then.

#8 ·
Oldsmar would jump at this.

CB -- downtown Tampa for a minor league soccer venue of 5000 seats? No thank you. Where is the parking? Where is the land for that matter? Now lets go back tot he fact it's for a second tier soccer league team? You want to put it Downtown? Uh... No....

Also, to place another venue next to Raymond James Stadium is to open a second venue for the profit of the GLAZER family who own the cash rights to the parking lots. I don't know the exact stuff off hand but they have rights to the lots.

So really, those two locations are no-nos to begin. It's a soccer stadium, and even though the Rowdies go waaaaaaay back with this town, I don't think of Tampa Bay as a soccer market. Having a stadium for this second tier soccer league is not going to earn it a prime location.

Being part of a larger sports complex like TampaMike mentioned is more plausible. Or playing in a shared venue with USF athletics...

#10 ·
And that is why I suggested the Trinity Sports Complex for a possible location for the Rowdies. It's not like we are talking about the Bucs or Rays here, it's the Rowdies. They are a second tier soccer league, not some big league sports team. And the Bucs didn't start off with RJS, so it is highly unlikely the Rowdies would get something amazing looking to play in.

With the Rowdies, it is going to be people that want to watch a soccer game and not people that are visiting the region and go to a soccer game. So if it is built somewhere up here, I won't expect many out-of-regioners coming up here to watch the Rowdies. With a couple advertisements, maybe, but not just having the Rowdies.

And plans are allowing for an in-door arena to be built for other events at the sports complex, so it would be a win-win in my opinion.

#12 · (Edited)
Please go look at UT's Stadium. It seats maybe 1500 if that.
Only one side has bleachers (Its on N. Blvd, looks almost like a high school football field)
I'm pretty sure parking isn't an issue past 5pm and since soccer in the US is a sport where most don't make ends meet unless your Beckham, they generally have day jobs, pretty sure they wouldn't do a day game no matter what.
PLENTY of open space near the Forum for a small stadium
PLENTY of space near U.T with all those parking lots that your not allowed to park in now vacant.

Since no one apparently wants this stadium its a pretty clear indication no one gives a damn so who cares?

#13 ·
Joe, there is land near the forum but it's not like people are planning on erecting a field for Soccer on it. They plan to profit from the land in one way or another through development. Soccer is not going to pay long term. Not a minor league stadium or above.

Peppin-Rood is a smaller stadium (and it used to rock for Buc training camp action). Sharing a venue with collegiate sports (USF or U of T) is a possibility, but they're much more likely to get that from USF than U of T. USF Athletics profile, after all, is on the rise with thanks to the FB program.

#14 ·
Using downtown land for a stadium that is going to seat 5,000 people would be a waste IMO. If it was connected to a hotel and new convention center, then maybe. I've seen a couple cities do that with their smaller stadiums. But just putting a stadium for the Rowdies in the empty lots in downtown would be land that I think have better potential. Do I like the lots? No. But I'd rather wait for other development then fill it up with a small league soccer team stadium.

As someone who is a resident of Pasco and want to develop a future career as a politician here, I wouldn't mind the Rowdies coming to Pasco and Trinity to be exact. Like I said earlier, they are not the Bucs, but they can bring a lot of people that normally don't visit the county to do so. Currently the county doesn't have a convention center and adding the stadium with a convention center and a hotel like Fairmount would be idle for the region. I already have plans in contacting a couple hotel brands once this sports complex is approved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.