daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 26th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #21
Tin_Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielk2 View Post
Are studded tyres mandatory?? Does the government hate roads???
sorry,my mistake,only winter tires are mandatory.. studded tires are not and are used at your own risk,but by many people choose studded tires (they are noisy,but give a lot better grip in icy conditions) And yeah,studded tires destroy roads
Tin_Can no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 26th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #22
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

There aren't laws for this as such in Portugla or in the UK, but for example in the Portugese Serra da Estrela (a mountain range) as several roads rise to large altitudes, winter tyres are obligatory sometimes.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #23
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by pijanec View Post
I think that winter tyres shouldn't be mandatory by law and responsibility should be up to drivers. In case they cause problems without proper equipment, there should be fines and in case of accidents it's up to insurance companies to punish such drivers.
Sweden has had these regulations for about ten years after several serious accidents involving cars driving with summer tyres killed a lot of people. Obviously, the policy you propose didn't work here.
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #24
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

Quote:
I think that winter tyres shouldn't be mandatory by law and responsibility should be up to drivers. In case they cause problems without proper equipment, there should be fines and in case of accidents it's up to insurance companies to punish such drivers.
That depends. You have to be suicidal or completely stupid to drive with summer tyres during the winter months in Estonia. The average temperatures of December, January and February are below 0C so most of the precipitation falls as snow, resulting in road conditions that summer tyres simply can't handle. Besides that, you have to consider the threat of black ice. It's not a matter of how good of a driver you are, it's about simple physics.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #25
3naranze

Likes (Received): 2

I'll be more precise about studded tyres in Italy: they are allowed from 15 nov till 15 march, the car must have mud flaps. max speed 90 km/h.
3naranze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 03:34 AM   #26
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

So even during the summer it is mandatory to carry chains if I travel to Austria?
Old December 27th, 2009, 12:09 PM   #27
3naranze

In Austria it's mandatory winter equipment only from 1 nov till 15 april.
See also http://www.oeamtc.at/index.php?type=...nu_active=0194
Old December 28th, 2009, 05:23 AM   #28
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
It used to be the same here in the province of British Columbia. Now, you're SUPPOSED to have winter tyres, studded winter tyres or chains. Preferably winter tyres AND chains. So far, it's not being enforced in the region where I live, but it is at the coast.

I never bothered to get any. I just slow down and drive according to the conditions with my truck in 4-HI (Helps in getting going on ice, but that's about it) I also have six large sand bags in the back of my truck to put weight on the rear drive wheels.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 05:57 AM   #29
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

In America, winter tires are rare as ****. In my region, it snows about 40 inches. The winter here is equal to or worse than the populated parts of Scandinavia. But I'd be surprised if even 10% of the cars had snow tires.

Even in places like upstate New York, where they typically see 100+ inches of snow, most people drive around without snow tires.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 10:34 AM   #30
KiwiRob
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Stupid rule isn't it, just imagine how fewer accidents and possibly deaths would occur if people were driving with the correct equipment.

In New Zealand winter tyres should be manditory for the South Island and recommended for people who live in the Central Plateau area of the North Island. Every year the news shows images of cars sliding around in the snow, a decent set of winter tyres would solve that problem.

In Norway winter tyres must be fitted from November until April, some cities in Norway make you pay a tax if you want to use spiked tyres.
KiwiRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 04:20 PM   #31
Buddy Holly
BANNED

Likes (Received): 120

In Kosovo it is mandatory to use winter tired from 1 December to 31 March (though the latter date may be incorrect by a day or two). It is also mandatory to have chains or whatever they're called and it is also mandatory to use them when there's a lot of snow (though not always).
Buddy Holly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 03:15 AM   #32
KiwiGuy
¡VIVA EL GORDO!

Likes (Received): 1668

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiRob View Post
Stupid rule isn't it, just imagine how fewer accidents and possibly deaths would occur if people were driving with the correct equipment.

In New Zealand winter tyres should be manditory for the South Island and recommended for people who live in the Central Plateau area of the North Island. Every year the news shows images of cars sliding around in the snow, a decent set of winter tyres would solve that problem.

In Norway winter tyres must be fitted from November until April, some cities in Norway make you pay a tax if you want to use spiked tyres.
Not all parts of the South Island. In Nelson, it hasn't snowed since 1939. And with some of the weather we have been having (heaviest snowfall in around 25 years came in November of all times!) it really doesn't matter. Besides, most seaside cities right in the deep south hardly get snow to sea level. Most of the people you see are on the state highways going through the mountain passes.
KiwiGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #33
Alqaszar
No idea, well an opinion

Likes (Received): 19

Where I live in Germany -- close to the Netherlands -- I don't use winter tyres on my current car. The winters here are typically without snow. Of course, real winter conditions like during the last week will hold my car in its garage.

Problem is in Germany: When you are stuck on the road because of a lack of adequate tyres, your will be fined. And insurancea won't cover any costs when you cause an accident lacking appropriate wheels.
Alqaszar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 04:23 PM   #34
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3naranze View Post
In Italy is the owner of the road fixing the date by setting this road sign (below). so it'mandatory to use winter/studded tyrers or chains ( there often lay-by to set them up, e.g. roads to dolomiti supersky area)

by Weissenfels traction S.p.A.

As already pointed out by KiwiRob, this map is incorrect when it comes to Norway. It is a bit disturbing that maps like this is floating around as every year numerous truck drivers end up it major problems, and are sometimes killed, due to inproper equipment. Specifically, you are required by law to:

1. Have tires with a thread depth of 3 mm or larger during winter(5 mm or larger is recommended). I believe the summer thread depth is 1.6 mm or so.
2. Heavy vehicles need to have chains available (and the driver needs to know how to put them on).

If you are in breech of this, your vehicle may be grounded and you will be heavily fined. In addition, if it is discovered that you drive with summer tires (even with a thread depth larger than 3 mm), you may also be in large trouble, especially in case of an accident.

Studded tires are clearly the best, an all surfaces except perhaps dry (and not too warm) road. On wet and / or warm road studded tires are better because their rubber is harder such that their drainage capabilities outperform studless tires made for the Scandinavian market. On snow, studless tires (again, made for the Scandinavian market) are almost as good as studded tires, but although they have vastly improved on dry ice, driving on wet ice is close to reckless.

I have heard that the rubber mix and pattern of studless winter tires sold on the continent are different such that they work better on wet roads and high speed, but IMO it is irresponsible to use such tires, as well as "all-season-tires" during winter in S/N/FIN.

It is said that studded tires make a lot of road dust, and hence the use of them in the cities are now discouraged in the Norwegian cities, and you have to pay a fee in Oslo, Trondheim, Bergen(?) and Stavanger(?). In order to avoid chaos, the main roads are thus heavily salted during winter. This is quite contriversal, and I don't approve to this strategy, because:
  1. It is not sustainable to throw such a massive amount of salt on the roads. It is harmful both for the local flora and possibly ground water.
  2. The salt eats up the cars and drainage system, a huge cost for the Norwegian society at large. Especially worrisome is the effect on the break system.
  3. Most of the dust in Norwegian cities actually come from burning fire wood for heating
  4. Salted roads without ice creates a lot more dust than icy / snow covered roads.
  5. Side roads that are not salted often gets extremely slippery
  6. Tires also get extremely slippery if not cleaned regularly
  7. Main roads that are salted gets very slippery at low temperatures when the salt is no longer able to melt the ice
  8. People get used to drive on ice free roads, and often get into large trouble when suddenly there is some ice on the road. Often you cannot see the ice on black asphalt.
  9. Norway (cars, roads, nearby houses, signs) gets extremly dirty due to the use of salt
  10. Headlighs gets dirty as well, and will quickly be dimmed if not cleaned every 100-200 km or so.

Happy new year!
Old January 1st, 2010, 12:30 AM   #35
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Well, I guess salt is one of this modern comforts we should not live without. Strudded tires would not make possible to drive in winter conditions. Unless you suppose people should stay inside their houses or only walk (riding a bicycle is a no-no in snowy conditions) whenever is snowed, it is impossible to have a Western lifyestyle without salt.
Old January 1st, 2010, 02:14 PM   #36
KiwiRob
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Where I live the roads are not salted until you get to Molde, we have never had any problems with ice, so long as you take it easy. On our newest cars we decided not to get spiked tyres and so far haven't regretted it. I don't like the damage salt does to the environment, plus it not good for the paint on our cars.
KiwiRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 09:53 PM   #37
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Well, I guess salt is one of this modern comforts we should not live without. Strudded tires would not make possible to drive in winter conditions. Unless you suppose people should stay inside their houses or only walk (riding a bicycle is a no-no in snowy conditions) whenever is snowed, it is impossible to have a Western lifyestyle without salt.
I have a bit of a problem in understanding what your arguments are, but your conclusion is certainly wrong. Up until about 10 - 15 years ago, very little salt was used on roads around where I lived, and it worked very well, studded tires or not. In Sweden, they are using significantly less salt (and more sand), and nobody in their right mind will argue that the winter conditions of their roads are worse than the Norwegian ones.

And, I am riding a bicycle almost daily on snowy conditions. It works very well except for those areas that are recently salted and hence are slushy/slippery. In addition, the salt is unfortunately eating up the bicycle. Of course I use studded tires for the bike.
Old January 16th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #38
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
It's very similar in Estonia. Winter tyres are compulsory from 1st December until 1st March for vehicles that have up to 9 seats, for trucks up tp 3,5 tonnes and for trailers that weigh 750-3500kgs. You can use studded tyres from 1st October until 1st May. That last period should be shortened by one month, IMO.
The regulations were changed. Now you are allowed to use studded tyres from 15 October until 31 March.

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; January 17th, 2010 at 12:18 AM.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:54 AM   #39
CptSchmidt
Nova Scotian driver.

Likes (Received): 0

As far as I know, Quebec is the only province/territory that has a winter tire requirement.
Old January 20th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #40
3naranze

1. warning sign: 100m forward snow chains mounting area

2. snow chains mounting area

3. beyond this signal you would be fined and stopped, so you must buy snow chains set to go on.

Last edited by 3naranze; January 20th, 2010 at 06:29 PM.