daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 13th, 2013, 07:25 PM   #21
mamangvilla
Pengguna Terdaftar

Likes (Received): 14

Big foul area and even bigger outfield, would be tough for hitter for sure.
mamangvilla no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 13th, 2013, 10:43 PM   #22
Scba

Likes (Received): 669

Goofy idea. Aren't there any real baseball stadiums in the area that they could temporarily expand?
Scba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 06:47 AM   #23
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scba View Post
Goofy idea. Aren't there any real baseball stadiums in the area that they could temporarily expand?
NO!!!!!

Baseball in Australia is as popular as cricket in the USA.....
Old June 14th, 2013, 07:03 AM   #24
Scba

Likes (Received): 669

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin W View Post
NO!!!!!

Baseball in Australia is as popular as cricket in the USA.....
There's a cricket stadium in Florida, isn't there?
Scba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 07:04 AM   #25
aus16

Likes (Received): 2

I would agree that baseball is not popular (except the caps) we do have a baseball stadium in sydney, The Showground Stadium (Skoda Stadium) which is built as a baseball stadium and was expanded last year to fit 25000, that being said, I really like the idea of the SCG having the game as Skoda Stadium is as bland and unexciting as any baseball stadium while the SCG gives a lot of character to the game specifically with the members and ladies stands, as well as the city skyline in the background. On another note, i read an article about the configuration on the SCG website which says a 1.8m wall will be built 120m from home plate (dimensions of field right there) with bullpens behind it. I would also assume that the lower levels of the trumper and brewongle will be closed as i cant see how any tickets can be sold there. Looking forward to this one, havent been to a game since blue jays vs phillies in 2006
aus16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 07:10 AM   #26
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 3838

There was a Baseball stadium in Blacktown that was used during the Sydney Olympics. However, it only seats 8,000 people (3,000 post Olympics) IIRC and I'm not sure whether or not it's still there.

An MLB game at the SCG will likely sell a huge amount of tickets.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 01:08 PM   #27
aus16

Here is the seating chart, and it is PRICEY, top seats are 500, bronze is 180 and outfield is 100, I shant be attending both games

mamangvilla liked this post
Old June 14th, 2013, 02:05 PM   #28
mamangvilla
Pengguna Terdaftar

Likes (Received): 14

The outfield wall is a lot closer than I thought, at only 394ft, it's closer than most ballpark in MLB.
mamangvilla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 02:18 PM   #29
aus16

its probably got more to do with the requirements for a bullpen, and either way the lower decks out the back would have been closed for the large wall. I just find it a strange business decision that the field was using those directions, surely if the field faced directly the opposite way, there would be way more premium seats to sell
Old June 14th, 2013, 03:15 PM   #30
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scba View Post
There's a cricket stadium in Florida, isn't there?
One, wow.... Australia has a baseball league. But stadiums are small under 10,000 capacity.
Old June 15th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #31
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus16 View Post
Here is the seating chart, and it is PRICEY, top seats are 500, bronze is 180 and outfield is 100, I shant be attending both games

Ugh.

I fuggin' HATE artificial boundaries. I really wanted to see a couple gappers roll all the way to the wall.

Why couldn't they just put the bullpens in foul territory?

And I agree, those prices absolutely suck. Not even Yankees/Red Sox fans pay that much for commoner seating.
KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 06:28 AM   #32
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 520

Quote:

Looking at that layout makes me think that the New Adelaide Oval would be a superb venue for a MLB fixture. It's a horse shoe with world class suites and press facilities behind the logical location for home plate. Has a larger capacity than the SCG and is also a narrower Oval so smaller foul ball areas. Yes that would make shorter foul lines but you could always compensate by having a deeper centre field.

Just as importantly, as Baseball and Cricket are related games, the Adelaide Oval like the SCG, Lords and Newlands in Capetown is one of the most beautiful, iconic venues old. It is one of the Wrigley Fields / Fenway Parks of Cricket complete with Ivy covered Romanesque arches from the 1920's.

Quote:
I would agree that baseball is not popular (except the caps) we do have a baseball stadium in sydney, The Showground Stadium (Skoda Stadium) which is built as a baseball stadium and was expanded last year to fit 25000, that being said, I really like the idea of the SCG having the game as Skoda Stadium is as bland and unexciting as any baseball stadium while the SCG gives a lot of character to the game specifically with the members and ladies stands, as well as the city skyline in the background.
This

I wouldn't say Baseball isn't popular in Australia, it's just not a major spectator sport as Australia is pretty saturated in that regard.

Baseball has a pretty long continuous history in Australia, has a very dedicated community and is a very popular recreational sport (including childrens T-Ball and social Softball). Like Americans though, Australians are used to watching the highest level of a sport like in Cricket, Aussie Rules and Both Rugby codes.
We can't compete against other markets in Baseball, Soccer and Basketball so our attention to the local leagues generally sits behind MLB, European Soccer and NBA Basketball (still you get the occasional good crowds for all).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
Ugh.

I fuggin' HATE artificial boundaries. I really wanted to see a couple gappers roll all the way to the wall.

Why couldn't they just put the bullpens in foul territory?
Even if the field was marked to the extent of the SCG normal dimensions (roughly 140m from home plate), the outfield walls would only be 1m high. The ground tier of the SCG also has a very shallow rake.

Not surprised by the cost of tickets. It's a rare event and will sell out (even with Sydney having Australia's most fickle sports fans).
Walbanger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2013, 07:14 AM   #33
bing222

Likes (Received): 7

They are keeping the stands names

http://www.sydneycricketground.com.a...northernstand/

2010-11

SYDNEY FC CHAMPIONS

2005-06
2010-11
bing222 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2013, 05:58 AM   #34
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 3423

RMB2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2013, 06:08 AM   #35
bing222

Likes (Received): 7

From today. Interesting fact about the new stand, The first row of the third tier is the same height as the stand below.

2010-11

SYDNEY FC CHAMPIONS

2005-06
2010-11
bing222 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2013, 12:00 PM   #36
Lumbergo

Likes (Received): 234

serious question -

why do a lot of cricket stadiums bother to put seats behind the "batter's eye" (the large wall in the outfield that is also in baseball stadia - not sure if it's called something else in cricket)?

also doesn't that wall present obstructed views for the sections next to it? seems like it would be better to just tarp off those seats.
Lumbergo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2013, 12:27 PM   #37
Timothy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumbergo View Post
serious question -

why do a lot of cricket stadiums bother to put seats behind the "batter's eye" (the large wall in the outfield that is also in baseball stadia - not sure if it's called something else in cricket)?

also doesn't that wall present obstructed views for the sections next to it? seems like it would be better to just tarp off those seats.
Because despite the SCG and the MCG's names, these sports aren't just used for cricket, they're also used for Australian football (sometimes soccer and rugby), which doesn't require areas to be tarped (unless you're Port Adelaide).

Lumbergo, Walbanger liked this post

Last edited by Timothy83; December 9th, 2013 at 12:28 PM. Reason: 12345
Timothy83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 12:56 AM   #38
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumbergo View Post
the "batter's eye" (the large wall in the outfield that is also in baseball stadia - not sure if it's called something else in cricket)?
sight screens

Lumbergo liked this post
KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 07:14 PM   #39
Boomerang Man

Likes (Received): 1

Thanks to everyone for posting these pictures. Before I die I would love to go to the SCG and watch an Ashes test. What a wonderful cricket ground. The contrast between the history and tradition of the Members and Ladies stands and the huge new modern stands rising up around them makes it a very special place in my view.
Boomerang Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 04:58 AM   #40
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 3423

RMB2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
sydney