daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Best South American International Airport
Bogotá | El Dorado International Airport 8 8.99%
Buenos Aires | Ministro Pistarini International Airport 13 14.61%
Caracas | Simón Bolívar International Airport 5 5.62%
Lima | Jorge Chávez International Airport 7 7.87%
Rio de Janeiro | Antonio Carlos Jobim International Airport 11 12.36%
Santiago | Comodoro Arturo Merino Benítez International Airport 31 34.83%
São Paulo | Governor André Franco Montoro International Airport 14 15.73%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 8th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #21
Arquifan
Arquifan

Likes (Received): 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arquifan View Post
Sorry to say, but the new Carrasco is almost 60% of Ezeiza's and 50% of Santiago's terminal area,capable to manage almost 4 million/pax per year.
None of them are thaat big not to be compared to Carrasco.
The same happens with Lima.
Maybe Guarulhos or Galheao could be considered middle-size airports in Woldwide League Airports, the rest should be considered small.
Despite that, in terms of design, technology, Carrasco is by far the best airport in South America and deserves to be considered in the list.
"Duela a quien le duela".
Saludos
According to Travel & Leisure, Carrasco International is considered among the most beautiful airports in the world.
In the list, none of those airports ranked in this thread were considered.
Also mentioned, was Usuahia International Airport in Argentine, designed by uruguayan architect Carlos Ott.
Other fantastic terminals listed and shown were Bilbao Sondika,Madrid Barajas, Beijing International, Denver Intl, Seul Incheon and Hong Kong´s Chep Lap Kok.
Among the classic old ones appear,JFK/TWA Terminal by Saarinen and Berlin-Templehoff.

Link:http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...ul-airports/14
Arquifan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2010, 11:25 PM   #22
bindubasketball

Likes (Received): 0

ezeiza
bindubasketball no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 01:46 AM   #23
gnzlnho
Buenos Aires

Likes (Received): 723

EZE of course (Buenos Aires)
gnzlnho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 02:46 PM   #24
abrandao
Paris, France.

Likes (Received): 3859

Santiago (for the infrastructure) and São Paulo Guarulhos (for the number of worldwide destinations).
abrandao no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 06:11 PM   #25
Bogota
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arquifan View Post
Sorry to say, but the new Carrasco is almost 60% of Ezeiza's and 50% of Santiago's terminal area,capable to manage almost 4 million/pax per year.
None of them are thaat big not to be compared to Carrasco.
The same happens with Lima.
Maybe Guarulhos or Galheao could be considered middle-size airports in Woldwide League Airports, the rest should be considered small.
Despite that, in terms of design, technology, Carrasco is by far the best airport in South America and deserves to be considered in the list.
"Duela a quien le duela".
Saludos
I agree that Carrasco is probably one of the prettiest airports in the world architecturally, but regardless it still handles under 2 million people, has only 4 gates, so trying it to compare it with other airports that handle 4 to 5 times as much passengers and have 4 to 5 times more gates is simply playing nationalistic to say the least. In my opinion Santiago is the best airport, taking into account the airports listed by the thread creator.
Bogota no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 02:56 AM   #26
Arquifan
Arquifan

Likes (Received): 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogota View Post
I agree that Carrasco is probably one of the prettiest airports in the world architecturally, but regardless it still handles under 2 million people, has only 4 gates, so trying it to compare it with other airports that handle 4 to 5 times as much passengers and have 4 to 5 times more gates is simply playing nationalistic to say the least. In my opinion Santiago is the best airport, taking into account the airports listed by the thread creator.
According to what you´ve said, this thread is totally wrong conceived.
And that has nothing to do from being nationalistic (believe me I´m not !!!)
The thread´s was title "Best South American Airport".If instead, it would have said "Busiest or best connected SA Airport" or "Largest SA Airport", you might be right.
But when we refer to best South American Airport, there's no doubt about it !!!
No other airport deserves this title better than Carrasco up to the moment.
Not only due to its great design, but it terms of technology, comfort and all the other issues for which an airport could be classified as SA's best by passengers.
Most South American terminals look more a like bus-stations, than airports.

Saludos.
Arquifan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 08:37 PM   #27
HMMS
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Guarulhos and Galeão are the best in South America, now with the the new investments because of the World Cup 2014 and Olympic Games 2016, will be even bigger and better than those mentioned above!!!!!!!!

Last edited by HMMS; March 30th, 2010 at 08:46 PM.
HMMS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #28
gnzlnho
Buenos Aires

GRU looks old
Old March 30th, 2010, 08:49 PM   #29
HMMS
BANNED

Each has his opinion, but let's wait until the reforms are fully ready in 2013/2014!!!!!!!
Old March 31st, 2010, 07:30 PM   #30
gnzlnho
Buenos Aires

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMMS View Post
Each has his opinion, but let's wait until the reforms are fully ready in 2013/2014!!!!!!!
Which airport you talking about?

EZE is also having reforms
Old March 31st, 2010, 09:26 PM   #31
Cedar Teeth
Caçador de pessimildos

Likes (Received): 636

Quote:
hahahah what reforms are you talking about? Are you referring to the temporary tent-terminals that are gonna be built for the world cup? Yeah, Im sure they will make Brazilian airports the best in the world

Seriously, Galeão and Guarulhos are a complete disaster, I cant believe you just said they are the best in South America
Old March 31st, 2010, 10:52 PM   #32
HMMS
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar Teeth View Post
hahahah what reforms are you talking about? Are you referring to the temporary tent-terminals that are gonna be built for the world cup? Yeah, Im sure they will make Brazilian airports the best in the world

Seriously, Galeão and Guarulhos are a complete disaster, I cant believe you just said they are the best in South America
You always talks bad about all airports in Brazil, always thinks everything is wrong and that nothing will happen as planned.

Sarcasm and unfounded opinions are worth nothing, as I said, let's hope the planned reforms are ready, not the temporary terminal, which will be used while the permanent works are not completed as planned and not as you speak.

During Euro 2004 was used that temporary terminal at Lisbon Airport and the World Cup in South Africa will also be used those same temporary terminal.

In Brazil these termimais will be used until the permanent works be ready, in 2011 - 2014, but now, if you do not believe it and speak according to what you think, what I can do !!!!!!!!!!! Like I said before, each one has their own opinion ................
Old March 31st, 2010, 11:13 PM   #33
Cedar Teeth
Caçador de pessimildos

Likes (Received): 636

Quote:
You always talks bad about all airports in Brazil, always thinks everything is wrong and that nothing will happen as planned.

Sarcasm and unfounded opinions are worth nothing, as I said, let's hope the planned reforms are ready, not the temporary terminal, which will be used while the permanent works are not completed as planned and not as you speak.

During Euro 2004 was used that temporary terminal at Lisbon Airport and the World Cup in South Africa will also be used those same temporary terminal.

In Brazil these termimais will be used until the permanent works be ready, but now, if you do not believe it and speak according to what you think, what I can do !!!!!!!!!!! Each one has their own opinion ................
Do I have a reason to believe things will happen as planned? For the past 10 years or so NOTHING has happened as planned in Brazilian airports.

How are my opinions unfounded? We are just 4 years away from the World Cup and there aren't any real, detailed plans to expand the airports so far. I've only seen a few renders for Belo Horizonte and another one of a very small new terminal in Guarulhos.

What happened in Euro 2004 is completely different from whats happening now in Brazil. Portugal only used 3 major airports for Euro 2004. Both Faro and Porto airports received major upgrades and expansions. Lisbon didn't, but that has always been a problematic airport. Lisbon Airport is overcrowded, but why are we aiming to copy what they did wrong instead of copying what they did right? The temporary terminal was an exception in Portugal, in Brazil it will be the rule.

As far as I know, the airports in South Africa have also been expanded. They may use temporary terminals ON TOP of the expansions, but at least they upgraded the airports in the first place.

I would love you to show us some concrete evidence and expansion plans for the major passenger airports in Brazil. And I'm talking about improvements in terminal buildings, not runways or air traffic equipment.

We pretty much knew we would host the World Cup since 2006. In 8 years the best our government (or whoever is responsible for managing the airports, because it seems nobody wants to take responsibility in cases like these, they are always putting the blame on someone else ) could com up with were temporary terminals.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 10:04 PM   #34
Príncipe
um príncipe de araque

Likes (Received): 907

Lima Airport : Winner of Best Airport in South America Award

LIMA JORGE CHAVEZ AIRPORT IS NAMED THE WINNER OF BEST AIRPORT IN SOUTH AMERICA AWARD AT THE 2010 SKYTRAX WORLD AIRPORT AWARDS

Lima Airport has celebrated the news that it has been named the "Best Airport South America" by Skytrax - the award based on the votes of more than 9.8 million travellers from over 100 different countries.

Lima Airport ranked 33rd position in the worldwide rankings, moving up 5 places from No 52 in 2009.

Announced at The Skytrax World Airport Awards ceremony, held at the Passenger Terminal Expo 2010 in Brussels, Belgium, Skytrax World Airport Awards are the industry’s most extensive air traveller-based awards, with the survey of airport customers conducted between July 2009 and March 2010.

Mr Edward Plaisted, Chairman of Skytrax presented the Award to Mr Jaime Daly, CEO of Lima Airport Partners.

BEST AIRPORT : SOUTH AMERICA

1 Lima Airport

2 Santiago Airport

3 Buenos Aires Airport

http://www.worldairportawards.com/Aw...t_samerica.htm
Old April 4th, 2010, 11:24 PM   #35
HigerBigger

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:

In Brazil these termimais will be used until the permanent works be ready, in 2011 - 2014, but now, if you do not believe it and speak according to what you think, what I can do !!!!!!!!!!! Like I said before, each one has their own opinion ................
No temporary terminals will be used in South Africa for the Fifa 2010. All the expansion projects have now been completed and enough capacity exist to cater for all the passengers.

The South American airport I most like is the International Airport in Curitiba. This airport is always exceptionally clean and efficient and a joy to travel through. The Sao Paulo International Airport in Guarulhos is badly planned with bad logistics. It is time to rethink the internal layout of this airport and perhaps close the shops restaurants next to passport control to increase the space for efficient passport control. Some good shops in the duty free area is also very needed with proper cheap prices.

Compares to Johannesburg International Airport, the Sao Paulo airport is falling far below standard and needs urgent upgrading before 2014. Rio must also be upgraded in time for 2014 and 2016.
HigerBigger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 06:18 AM   #36
Burberry

Likes (Received): 77

I think the modern airport in South America goes to Montevideo Intl, for the me best South American airport is Santiago airport, Chile. Caracas, is modern too the project has recently finished but there is still so many things to change like security and passengers attention and organization with the authorities, Lima has change a lot in the positive way, lets wait for the new projects for Buenos Aires next airport. Bogotá needs modern terminals and Sao Paulo too.
Old April 7th, 2010, 12:20 AM   #37
5mentarios
God is an astronaut

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Príncipe View Post
Lima Airport : Winner of Best Airport in South America Award

LIMA JORGE CHAVEZ AIRPORT IS NAMED THE WINNER OF BEST AIRPORT IN SOUTH AMERICA AWARD AT THE 2010 SKYTRAX WORLD AIRPORT AWARDS

Lima Airport has celebrated the news that it has been named the "Best Airport South America" by Skytrax - the award based on the votes of more than 9.8 million travellers from over 100 different countries.

Lima Airport ranked 33rd position in the worldwide rankings, moving up 5 places from No 52 in 2009.

Announced at The Skytrax World Airport Awards ceremony, held at the Passenger Terminal Expo 2010 in Brussels, Belgium, Skytrax World Airport Awards are the industry’s most extensive air traveller-based awards, with the survey of airport customers conducted between July 2009 and March 2010.

Mr Edward Plaisted, Chairman of Skytrax presented the Award to Mr Jaime Daly, CEO of Lima Airport Partners.

BEST AIRPORT : SOUTH AMERICA

1 Lima Airport

2 Santiago Airport

3 Buenos Aires Airport

http://www.worldairportawards.com/Aw...t_samerica.htm
the facts speak LIMA
5mentarios no está en línea   Reply With Quote