daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 7th, 2010, 11:40 AM   #401
shyaman
waaaahhh!!!

Likes (Received): 1313

SHANGHAI WORLD FINANCIAL CENTER

At 492 meters high, the SFWC is Shanghai's tallest skyscraper and the 3rd highest in the world (after Burj Khalifa and Taipei 101).

Resembling a bottle cap opener, it contrasts with the adjacent Jin Mao Tower in its smooth facades and the sculptural form of the head into which they gracefully curve.

The SWFC casts the Jin Mao Tower (421m) into a junior position, but together they symbolize the new Lujiazu cluster on Shanghai's Pudong side.

At level 94 is a vast public plaza and above it is an observation deck on level 97. On the skybridge is another observation deck at level 100. This is the highest public observation facility in the world.

At night, SWFC stands outs in height and lighting.

The ticket booth area is very high-tech and impressive. It features a display of LED art, designed for this facility by famous Japanese multi-media artist Toshio Iwai, which merges with the building and lead the observatory visitors to a magical world. Even the high speed elevator was not spared by Mr Iwai... The number tells us we are 415m above ground.

shyaman's travels
Argentina • Australia [NSW-NT-QLD-VIC] • Austria • Brazil • Cambodia • Canada [ON-QC] • Chile • China • Cuba • Czech Republic • Egypt • France • Germany • Hong Kong • India • Indonesia • Italy • Japan • Macau • Malaysia • Mexico • Myanmar • Netherlands • Nepal • New Zealand • Peru • Philippines • Singapore • Spain • Thailand • United Arab Emirates • United Kingdom [England-Scotland] • United States [AZ-CA-DC-IL-NV-NY] • Uruguay • Vietnam

Last edited by shyaman; March 7th, 2010 at 11:49 AM.
shyaman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2010, 11:49 AM   #402
shyaman
waaaahhh!!!

There are 3 observation levels. The first one at level 94 is called the Sky Arena. Above it is the Sky Walk 97 at level 97. At level 100 is the bridge observation deck, more aptly called Sky Walk 100.

Despite offering the highest observatory in the world, it does not provide a 360° view of the city. The view is restricted to only 2 linear sides of the observation decks.

shyaman's travels
Argentina • Australia [NSW-NT-QLD-VIC] • Austria • Brazil • Cambodia • Canada [ON-QC] • Chile • China • Cuba • Czech Republic • Egypt • France • Germany • Hong Kong • India • Indonesia • Italy • Japan • Macau • Malaysia • Mexico • Myanmar • Netherlands • Nepal • New Zealand • Peru • Philippines • Singapore • Spain • Thailand • United Arab Emirates • United Kingdom [England-Scotland] • United States [AZ-CA-DC-IL-NV-NY] • Uruguay • Vietnam
Old March 7th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #403
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3761

Stunning!

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:02 AM   #404
shyaman
waaaahhh!!!

SHANGHAI'S HONGQIAO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

Before the completion of Pudong International Airport, Hongqiao Airport served as Shanghai's main international airport. Today it only serves two direct international routes (Tokyo and Seoul). International destinations with connecting flights in other Chinese cities also departs from Hongqiao.

shyaman's travels
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #405
shyaman
waaaahhh!!!

The airport gave me bad memories. This is where our flight was delayed for more than 2 hours. Sitting inside the unmoving plane on the tarmac for 2 hours was a nightmare. For more than an hour, the China Southern Airlines pilot and flight crew did not make any announcements on what the problem was. Only after angry passengers barge towards the flight attendants for explanation that we were told that the delay was due to "air traffic control" problem. After waiting for 1.5 hours, the pilot announced that the there was an air traffic control problem and that our plane will be leaving in 10 minutes. After 30 minutes and still no plane movement, passengers were again shouting and cursing the attendants. Can't blame them passengers. If only I can speak Chinese, I could have joined the fray. There is limit to human patience, especially if you are tricked to believing something that is not.

The air traffic control issue was a ridiculous excuse. How can an airplane waiting for clearance for take-off be delayed for more than 2 hours? I was seated on a window seat and I saw a Korean Airlines plane arrive, park and leave while we were already seated and ready to leave even before the Korean Air plane arrived. If it's a air traffic control problem, we should have left ahead of KAL. It was the most convenient excuse because there is no way for the passengers to know if there is indeed an air traffic control issue which delayed the take off. I believe the airline was trying to conceal a problem which delayed the flight.

Due to the delay, I missed my connecting flight to Saigon in Guangzhou. This is the reason why I had a day to spare in Guangzhou..At Guangzhou airport, I demanded to be booked in the next possible flight to Saigon but was not allowed to. According to the staff, China Southern's protocol was to book their delayed passengers only in another CS flight if the delay was not the airline's fault. And the next flight was 24 hours later! After more than an hour of bickering, the airline just won't give in.

I was provided accommodation in a cheap hotel near the airport. While having breakfast in the morning, I was in the company of 8 Nigerian nationals whose flight from Hangzhou to Ethiopia via Guangzhou was also delayed. They were delayed in Hangzhou for 1.5 hours allegedly also due to "air traffic control" problems, thus missing their connecting flight to Ethiopia. Their predicament was worse because they have to wait for another 3 days before the next available flight from Guangzhou to Dar es Salaam in Ethiopia. Imagine stuck for 3 days in a hotel smelling of old age and located some 30 kilometers from the city.

Apparently, delayed flights are China Southern's specialty and blaming it to "air traffic control" is always the excuse. So if you are going to China, avoid taking China Southern Airlines as much as possible.

Next:
The unplanned 24-hour sojourn in Guangzhou...

shyaman's travels
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:16 AM   #406
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1330

OMG. just looking at the pics from the SWFC made me sick.

great photos nonetheless!
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:29 PM   #407
Scion

Likes (Received): 4631

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyaman View Post
The airport gave me bad memories. This is where our flight was delayed for more than 2 hours. Sitting inside the unmoving plane on the tarmac for 2 hours was a nightmare. For more than an hour, the China Southern Airlines pilot and flight crew did not make any announcements on what the problem was. Only after angry passengers barge towards the flight attendants for explanation that we were told that the delay was due to "air traffic control" problem. After waiting for 1.5 hours, the pilot announced that the there was an air traffic control problem and that our plane will be leaving in 10 minutes. After 30 minutes and still no plane movement, passengers were again shouting and cursing the attendants. Can't blame them passengers. If only I can speak Chinese, I could have joined the fray. There is limit to human patience, especially if you are tricked to believing something that is not.

The air traffic control issue was a ridiculous excuse. How can an airplane waiting for clearance for take-off be delayed for more than 2 hours? I was seated on a window seat and I saw a Korean Airlines plane arrive, park and leave while we were already seated and ready to leave even before the Korean Air plane arrived. If it's a air traffic control problem, we should have left ahead of KAL. It was the most convenient excuse because there is no way for the passengers to know if there is indeed an air traffic control issue which delayed the take off. I believe the airline was trying to conceal a problem which delayed the flight.
A lot of people have similar stories on the mysterious delays at Shanghai's airports. China's air force sometimes conduct military exercises over Shanghai's air space and hence all civil flights have to be put to a halt. There's even stories of inbound planes turning back to the origin airport.

Scion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 06:09 AM   #408
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Yea I often hear fighter jets in the sky in shanghai. Those trails left by those jets are often seen too.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #409
shyaman
waaaahhh!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion View Post
A lot of people have similar stories on the mysterious delays at Shanghai's airports. China's air force sometimes conduct military exercises over Shanghai's air space and hence all civil flights have to be put to a halt. There's even stories of inbound planes turning back to the origin airport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
Yea I often hear fighter jets in the sky in shanghai. Those trails left by those jets are often seen too.
May be true but not at that time. I saw KAL arrived, parked at the adjacent aerobridge, disembark passengers, boarded passengers, left and took off, in my full view because I was on the window seat.

The last picture that I posted, where a China Eastern plane parks is exactly the same spot were KAL parked a few minutes after the China Eastern plane left. If only knew that things will get worse, I could have taken pictures.

What irked most of the passengers is the delay in giving out information of what's happening.

And incidentally, the delay also happened in Hangzhou and not just in Shanghai. Same airline, same reason, different cities hundreds of miles apart.

shyaman's travels
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:29 AM   #410
shyaman
waaaahhh!!!

-dp-

shyaman's travels

Last edited by shyaman; March 9th, 2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:33 AM   #411
shyaman
waaaahhh!!!

GUANGZHOU'S BAIYUN INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

Guangzhou's airport is very well prepared to receive the influx of foreign visitors in time for the city's hosting of the Asian Games this year. Baiyun International Airport is massive, and is mainland China's 2nd busiest airport in terms of passenger traffic with 33.4 million passengers handled in 2008.

Arrival hall

Outside

shyaman's travels

Last edited by shyaman; March 9th, 2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:38 AM   #412
shyaman
waaaahhh!!!

Departure area and baggage check-in hall

shyaman's travels
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:44 AM   #413
shyaman
waaaahhh!!!

Boarding area and concourse

shyaman's travels
Old March 9th, 2010, 11:02 AM   #414
chimpanzee911

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyaman View Post
GUANGZHOU'S BAIYUN INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

Guangzhou's airport is very well prepared to receive the influx of foreign visitors in time for the city's hosting of the Asian Games this year. Baiyun International Airport is massive, and is mainland China's 2nd busiest airport in terms of passenger traffic with 33.4 million passengers handled in 2008.

Baggage claim area

This is Tan Son Nhat Airport (SGN) in Saigon as well as the first 3 pics in post #411! I flew out of SGN a dozen of times.
chimpanzee911 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 01:16 PM   #415
shyaman
waaaahhh!!!

Thanks for the correction.
I mixed up the pics. I landed in Saigon from Guangzhou, hence the mix up.
I edited my post already.

shyaman's travels
Old March 10th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #416
shyaman
waaaahhh!!!

ON THE ROAD IN GUANGZHOU

Smog in Guangzhou was all over the place during a morning cab ride from the hotel near the airport to the city.

shyaman's travels
Old March 10th, 2010, 12:05 PM   #417
shyaman
waaaahhh!!!

It started to clear up by mid-day...

--

shyaman's travels
Old March 10th, 2010, 12:08 PM   #418
shyaman
waaaahhh!!!

shyaman's travels
Old March 10th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #419
shyaman
waaaahhh!!!

shyaman's travels
Old March 10th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #420
shyaman
waaaahhh!!!

The road to the airport

Nike street lamps?

shyaman's travels