daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 9th, 2014, 07:08 PM   #61
Autobahn-mann

Likes (Received): 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
You can see a lot of that in Switzerland.
But I know the Italian highway code, although I've the .pdf with the swiss highway code I've haven't read it all (for now), so I don't know how prescribe this cases...
Autobahn-mann no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2015, 11:19 AM   #62
Rusonaldo
Autostrady Polska

Likes (Received): 12639

Rusonaldo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 11:20 AM   #63
Rusonaldo
Autostrady Polska

Old June 15th, 2015, 10:19 PM   #64
Rusonaldo
Autostrady Polska

Roads in Liechtenstein

Old January 7th, 2016, 10:48 AM   #65
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

I noticed something odd the other day:

https://goo.gl/maps/iRsSYa4dDAL2

There's no direct motorway connection between the Swiss A13 and Austrian A14 ...

Why doesn't Liechtenstein run a motorway between Vaduz and Feldkirch? The tolls they could collect on such a road would be enough to pay for a good chunk of their transport budget in perpetuity ... Kind of like how Delaware covers most of its transport budget by tolling I-95 drivers heading from DC and Baltimore to New York and Philadelphia. It's one of those places where the road and the financing strategy is clear as day ...
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2016, 11:14 AM   #66
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
I noticed something odd the other day:

https://goo.gl/maps/iRsSYa4dDAL2

There's no direct motorway connection between the Swiss A13 and Austrian A14 ...

Why doesn't Liechtenstein run a motorway between Vaduz and Feldkirch? The tolls they could collect on such a road would be enough to pay for a good chunk of their transport budget in perpetuity ... Kind of like how Delaware covers most of its transport budget by tolling I-95 drivers heading from DC and Baltimore to New York and Philadelphia. It's one of those places where the road and the financing strategy is clear as day ...
I believe that Switzerland does not want to create additional road transport corridors. Instead, the rail transportation is preferred. That is why the road map the east end of Bodensee looks odd.

In many aspects, Liechstenstein is actually the 27th canton of Switzerland. Therefore, building such a road violating the Swiss strategy would be a drastic move.
MattiG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2016, 01:25 PM   #67
General Maximus

Likes (Received): 73

There probably wouldn't be enough room to build a motorway in Liechtenstein anyway...
General Maximus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2016, 03:40 PM   #68
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

The S18 - Bodensee Schnellstraße was a planned four-lane expressway that would link up Austrian A14 and Swiss A13. However, the court annulled the alignment and no steps have been taken further.

I once took the toll-free route from St. Margrethen to Lindau, through the city of Bregenz. It's quite time-consuming to drive.

All routes between the Austrian and Swiss motorway systems requires driving through towns. The Hohenems - Diepoldsau route appears to be the best option for through traffic.

Diepoldsau is also interesting because it's the only part of Switzerland east of the Rhine River between Liechtenstein and Bodensee.

Bodensee / Lake Constance is one of those situations in Switzerland where the English name is different from the indigenous name, not just a translation, but actually named after a different feature (in this case the city of Konstanz). Lake Lucerne / Vierwaldstättersee and Lake Geneva / Lac Léman are other examples. The official Dutch translation is Bodenmeer, but in Dutch, the German name is often used.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2016, 04:13 PM   #69
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Bodensee / Lake Constance is one of those situations in Switzerland where the English name is different from the indigenous name, not just a translation, but actually named after a different feature (in this case the city of Konstanz). Lake Lucerne / Vierwaldstättersee and Lake Geneva / Lac Léman are other examples. The official Dutch translation is Bodenmeer, but in Dutch, the German name is often used.
In Italian all major Alpine lakes have two names:

- Lago di Garda -> Benaco
- Lago d'Iseo -> Sebino
- Lago di Como -> Lario
- Lago Maggiore -> Verbano
- Lago di Lugano -> Ceresio
- Lago di Costanza -> Bodanico

All of them are commonly used, although the latter are more used as an adjective.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2016, 04:46 PM   #70
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
In Italian all major Alpine lakes have two names:

- Lago di Garda -> Benaco
- Lago d'Iseo -> Sebino
- Lago di Como -> Lario
- Lago Maggiore -> Verbano
- Lago di Lugano -> Ceresio
- Lago di Costanza -> Bodanico

All of them are commonly used, although the latter are more used as an adjective.
The second names of Italian lakes are almost only used locally, I think. Elsewhere in Italy, probably 99% of people know only the first ones.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2016, 05:04 PM   #71
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

I did not know those names either. Many Dutch also refer to the Italian name (i.e. 'Lago di Garda') but it varies by lake. 'Gardameer' is as common as 'Lago di Garda', though Maggioremeer is pretty much never used, only the Italian name of 'Lago Maggiore' is used.

In terms of 'Liechtenstein', it's interesting that many European languages do not have an exonym for it, despite the country having a very German name.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2016, 06:18 PM   #72
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
The second names of Italian lakes are almost only used locally, I think. Elsewhere in Italy, probably 99% of people know only the first ones.
More like 80%, probably. Those names are currently used in newspapers, although I admit they are rarely used while speaking. Some of them are more used than others (Sebino, Verbano).
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2016, 07:30 PM   #73
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
The S18 - Bodensee Schnellstraße was a planned four-lane expressway that would link up Austrian A14 and Swiss A13. However, the court annulled the alignment and no steps have been taken further.

I once took the toll-free route from St. Margrethen to Lindau, through the city of Bregenz. It's quite time-consuming to drive.

All routes between the Austrian and Swiss motorway systems requires driving through towns. The Hohenems - Diepoldsau route appears to be the best option for through traffic.

Diepoldsau is also interesting because it's the only part of Switzerland east of the Rhine River between Liechtenstein and Bodensee.

Bodensee, Lake Geneva and Lake Garda are recognized in Finnish, too: Bodenjärvi, Genevenjärvi and Gardajärvi. The first one is not in common use. Therefore, I usually use the name Bodensee even when speaking or writing in Finnish. (There is the town of Boden in the north Sweden, and it is more familiar to many Finns.) No other lakes in the continental Europe are recognized: We have some 200,000 own lakes to learn. ;-)
MattiG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2016, 10:51 PM   #74
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:

It didn't even occur to me that Bodensee was Lake Constance, I suppose I didn't think about it, I was thinking it was a town I hadn't heard of.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 08:47 PM   #75
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

Quote:
The Rhine used to flow along the border:
https://www.google.ch/maps/@47.37872...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2016, 12:19 PM   #76
General Maximus

And as you head up the motorway towards St Gallen from Diepoldsau, you will see nothing but Austria on the right. This is taken from the Swiss A1, but you see a Austrian entry sign just above that bridge....

Old January 11th, 2016, 03:55 PM   #77
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

I think they should build an international tunnel between A14 (A) and A13 (CH) and be done with it. At its narrowest point, a 2km tunnel should suffice

General Maximus liked this post
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 04:29 PM   #78
General Maximus

Hohehems-Diepoldsau would be the answer for that tunnel. They're doing works on the Swiss side of the border at the moment, might as well start underground and get on with it.
Old January 11th, 2016, 04:37 PM   #79
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

A study for a road connection was published in late 2014. The following variants are left:
  • Eastern bypass of Lustenau (I think the route is from Dornbirn-South to St. Margrethen)
    - 2-laned, 555 million €
    - 4-laned, 615 million €
  • Tunnel b/n Dornbirn-North and St. Margrethen (open cut tunneling)
    - 2-laned, 527 million €
    - 4-laned, 607 million €
  • Tunnel b/n Dornbirn-North and St. Margrethen (bored tunneling)
    - 2-laned, 796 million €
    - 4-laned, 893 million €

It's north of Liechtenstein though!

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 09:36 PM   #80
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Regaredeless the option they'll choose, they should build it with 4 lane, since cost differences aren't that huge and with 2 lanes the motorway discontinuity will still remain.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Blackraven liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, liechtenstein