daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 4th, 2012, 02:40 AM   #101
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1144

Winter Classic 2014: Washington D.C.?

Sounds like Detroit is all but assured for 2013. Sounds like they have either 2014 or 2015 worked out pretty well too:
http://www.csnwashington.com/blog/ca...62&feedID=6458

But they have ruled out the National Mall.

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2012, 03:10 AM   #102
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
This thread got left in the dust.

Other good locations still left to host:
Minneapolis/Saint Paul, MN
Saint Louis, MO
Denver, CO
Green bay/Madison, WI
Washington D.C.
New York, NY
I think it would be cool to have a game between the Wild and Hawks in Madison or Green Bay. Perhaps the NHL would be nervous if they could fill up the stadiums though I think both fan bases plus locals would turn out.
Old January 5th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #103
JJG

Likes (Received): 1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Kings vs Ducks at the Rose Bowl.

only hold up is moving this little know bowl game to a different date and making sure its not 83 degrees on Jan 1 like it was this year
One can dream.

I'd like to see it in Arlington. Stars vs Red Wings.

Unless it's held at Jerryworld (which would take away from the original idea of the classic) it ain't happening.

But still would LOVE it.
JJG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 09:04 PM   #104
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 858

honestly, i think LA gets the winter classic when Farmers Field is completed in 2016. 4 more years of northeast and other cold weather teams seems about right to exhaust them before the warmer cities get one.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 09:20 PM   #105
pregersthehobo

Likes (Received): 4

Denver would be a good host, but the weather is so darn unpredictable. 1/2/12 in Denver was 55 and sunny, but last year it was cold with snow.
pregersthehobo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 11:13 PM   #106
Marckymarc
Namasté

Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Kings vs Ducks at the Rose Bowl.

only hold up is moving this little know bowl game to a different date and making sure its not 83 degrees on Jan 1 like it was this year
Even if it was 83 degrees it wouldn't be a problem.

The Kings outdoor game at Caesars palace in 1991 was played in 85 degree weather and there were no player complaints about the ice.

If they could pull it off 21 years ago without a hitch there's no reason they couldn't do the same thing today.
Marckymarc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2012, 02:48 AM   #107
will101

Likes (Received): 1569

Here's a crazy idea: maybe they could play some of these games in ... Canada?
will101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2012, 03:45 AM   #108
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by will101 View Post
Here's a crazy idea: maybe they could play some of these games in ... Canada?
Canada had their own outdoor affair last year in Calgary, the Heritage Classic. It even started up there in 2003 with Edmonton and Montreal. I'm not sure why that didn't continue. They now have an extra city to mix in, too.
krudmonk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #109

Likes (Received): 1439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marckymarc View Post
Even if it was 83 degrees it wouldn't be a problem.

The Kings outdoor game at Caesars palace in 1991 was played in 85 degree weather and there were no player complaints about the ice.

If they could pull it off 21 years ago without a hitch there's no reason they couldn't do the same thing today.
But why wasn't it a problem back then but they always complain about warm weather today?
1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #110
Marckymarc
Namasté

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post
But why wasn't it a problem back then?
Because it isn't rocket science to create and maintain an ice rink in warm weather. Heck, the local mall has an ice rink maintained in mid 70s temp all the time. If the friggin MALL can do an ice rink, why couldn't the NHL? I'm sure the NHL has a slightly larger budget than the friggin local mall.

image hosted on flickr

Quote:
...but they always complain about warm weather today?
Because people today like to bitch about things that aren't real? 85 degrees outdoor hockey isn't rocket science.

Old January 8th, 2012, 03:17 AM   #111

Thats not an answer to my question.

The NHL Classic today complains about unusual temperatures in NY and Philly.
But in the 80's they could have it in Las Vegas.

Apparently some sort of knowledge how to have an outside rink has gone lost over the years.
Old January 8th, 2012, 03:55 AM   #112
Marckymarc
Namasté

Quote:
Thats not an answer to my question.

The NHL Classic today complains about unusual temperatures in NY and Philly.
But in the 80's they could have it in Las Vegas.

Apparently some sort of knowledge how to have an outside rink has gone lost over the years.
What exactly are you asking? Are you asking why people complain about things that aren't real--like the ability to make an NHL-caliber ice surface in outdoor warm weather?

What you should be asking is, "Why do uninformed people say stupid things that have no basis in fact?"

Good luck finding an answer to that one.

What exactly are "they" complaining about? Is it the ice surface conditions? The fans reactions to warmer weather? I haven't heard these complaints you speak of, so please enlighten.

-
Old January 8th, 2012, 05:24 AM   #113
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 858

Quote:
Because it isn't rocket science to create and maintain an ice rink in warm weather. Heck, the local mall has an ice rink maintained in mid 70s temp all the time. If the friggin MALL can do an ice rink, why couldn't the NHL? I'm sure the NHL has a slightly larger budget than the friggin local mall.

image hosted on flickr

Because people today like to bitch about things that aren't real? 85 degrees outdoor hockey isn't rocket science.

i think the problem isnt the heat, its the direct sunlight.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 05:49 AM   #114
koolio

Likes (Received): 1558

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Canada had their own outdoor affair last year in Calgary, the Heritage Classic. It even started up there in 2003 with Edmonton and Montreal. I'm not sure why that didn't continue. They now have an extra city to mix in, too.
The problem here in Canada is that games have a potential to be TOO cold. The previous two Heritage Classic have been ridiculously cold and I believe some players weren't too happy about it. I suppose they can hold games in early December or something. Either way, Canada isn't much of a concern for the NHL brass because the league does not need any additional marketing.

As for Winnipeg, I think there is a rumour that they want to host an outdoor game sometime within the next two years when the new football stadium is finished.
Old January 8th, 2012, 06:27 AM   #115

Quote:
What exactly are you asking? Are you asking why people complain about things that aren't real--like the ability to make an NHL-caliber ice surface in outdoor warm weather?

What you should be asking is, "Why do uninformed people say stupid things that have no basis in fact?"

Good luck finding an answer to that one.

What exactly are "they" complaining about? Is it the ice surface conditions? The fans reactions to warmer weather? I haven't heard these complaints you speak of, so please enlighten.

-
No, I'm asking why it went perfactly OK to have an outdoor game in the 80's in a warm climate, but when it's warm during the Winte Classic, they have problems with the ice.

NOT the fans, but the organizers.
How could they organize outdoor games without warmth issues in the 80's but not nowadays.
Old January 8th, 2012, 06:35 AM   #116
koolio

Quote:
No, I'm asking why it went perfactly OK to have an outdoor game in the 80's in a warm climate, but when it's warm during the Winte Classic, they have problems with the ice.

NOT the fans, but the organizers.
How could they organize outdoor games without warmth issues in the 80's but not nowadays.
But do you know what the ice conditions were like in those games back in the 80s? Maybe it was bumpy and slushy and required constant re-patching.

Either way, I don't think holding an outdoors game in a warm climate is going to fit with the NHL's current marketing scheme. With the Winter Classic, they are trying to portray an image of the game being played in its natural, outdoors habitat. Holding the game in LA or something will just look too fake. Although they might do that 10 years down the line or something when the current format goes stale.
Old January 8th, 2012, 08:26 AM   #117
Marckymarc
Namasté

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolio View Post
But do you know what the ice conditions were like in those games back in the 80s? Maybe it was bumpy and slushy and required constant re-patching.
Let's set the record straight. This didn't happen in the 80s and the ice wasn't "bumpy, slushy or required constant re-patching".

The game was in September, 1991 in Las Vegas. Kings vs Rangers. I was/am a big Kings fan and this was a big deal when it occurred and got lots of media attention, being it was the first modern outdoor game--in the Las Vegas summer, no less. I remember the coverage of that game very well--it was shown locally on Prime Ticket, and the players, coaches and other officials all remarked how amazed they were at the great condition of the ice surface. Like I said, it went off without a hitch.

But LosAngelesSportsFan brought up a good point about the direct sunlight. The Vegas game was played at night. An 80 degree sunny day might be a problem compared to an 80 degree night game with no sun exposure.
Old January 13th, 2012, 09:47 PM   #118
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1144

Getting close to official, 2013 Winter Classic will be at the Big House AND Comerica park:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/74...d-rink-detroit
Old January 14th, 2012, 04:00 AM   #119
scolls

Likes (Received): 123

I'm glad that Detroit would likely be hosting next year. If it's Toronto vs Detroit, they should be able to easily draw 100k to Michigan Stadium. Toronto is only about 240 miles from Detroit do there should be a good mix of Leaf and Red Wing fans. With the choice of stadiums you have two people fighting for profits. Mike Illitch owns the Tigers and Red Wings and would make money hosting at Comerica but the NHL would make more by selling out the Big House which holds over double what Comerica does.
scolls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 04:07 AM   #120
koolio

Damn ... if this game will truly have a capacity of 115,000 and involve the Red Wings and the Leafs, it can probably make as much gate revenue as the Superbowl. The biggest hockey franchise in the US vs. the biggest hockey franchise in Canada. Shrewd move by the NHL.