daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 5th, 2010, 09:57 PM   #21
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

I would not say this is an "ugly" city. I'm from Toronto so what they hell am I supposed to say?? Huh? I hate these European whiners who think they live in "ugly" cities and have these ridiculous standards for "beauty". Stop complaining. Or maybe you're secretly fishing for compliments.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2010, 10:13 PM   #22
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
I would not say this is an "ugly" city. I'm from Toronto so what they hell am I supposed to say?? Huh? I hate these European whiners who think they live in "ugly" cities and have these ridiculous standards for "beauty". Stop complaining. Or maybe you're secretly fishing for compliments.
No, it is really considered one of Germany's ugliest cities (at least of those >100k inhabitants). And I have nothing to fish for. I am only living here. I am from Frankfurt.
But I do not quite understand: Toronto is awesome!!!
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:25 PM   #23
Dr.Mabuse
Proud Member of the DWF!

Likes (Received): 548

Quote:
What "ridicoulous" standards for beauty are those in your opnion?
Dr.Mabuse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:41 PM   #24
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5619

Quote:
Rhine-Ruhr-cities are honestly the least attractive cities in Germany. Bielefeld isn't actually in this area, but close! XD
I think, it's the blanket of snow that hides the most obvious uglyness in this pictures.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:49 PM   #25
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

In summer it is the lots of trees. But late autumn and winter without snow or early spring is hideous! They show the city in it's plain ugliness!!!
Old January 6th, 2010, 12:23 AM   #26
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

Finding the ugliest city in Germany, to my way of thinking, is like finding the ugliest woman at the Miss Universe pageant. This city looks quite nice.
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 12:23 AM   #27
hmueller2

Likes (Received): 177

Bielefeld?
...never heard of this city.

hmueller2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 12:45 AM   #28
Icymaniac

Likes (Received): 0

Wow! I think it's quite beautiful. And I'm sure the surrounding country side can't be too horrible But something I don't understand is why it is apparently uglier in the Winter...Maybe you could show us some pictures of the city from other seasons to give us a different sense of the place.
Icymaniac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 03:18 AM   #29
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_FFM View Post
No, it is really considered one of Germany's ugliest cities (at least of those >100k inhabitants). And I have nothing to fish for. I am only living here. I am from Frankfurt.
Skyline_FFM, this is *not* an ugly city, by any stretch. If it's ugly by German standards, then you Germans must have a very high bar, in terms of what makes a city attractive. This city looks 1,000,000 times more attractive than economically disadvantaged towns and cities of the UK and USA. I'm sorry, but I really like this city....if you want me to hate it, you're going to have to do better than that
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 03:52 AM   #30
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 1356

It doesn't look ugly on the pictures. If you don't think, Bielefeld is ugly, then call it the least beautiful city in Germany.

Anyway for being the 18th-biggest city in Germany (out of 81 cities with more than 100k inhabitants), Bielefeld has an image problem. Somehow there is nothing the city is known for or connected to. In other words: Bielefeld is considered a very bland city.
DiggerD21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 03:58 AM   #31
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggerD21 View Post
It doesn't look ugly on the pictures. If you don't think, Bielefeld is ugly, then call it the least beautiful city in Germany.

Anyway for being the 18th-biggest city in Germany (out of 81 cities with more than 100k inhabitants), Bielefeld has an image problem. Somehow there is nothing the city is known for or connected to. In other words: Bielefeld is considered a very bland city.
Compared to say, West Palm Beach, Bielefeld is as beautiful as Vienna.
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 04:02 AM   #32
Quall

Likes (Received): 462

Am I the only one that agrees with the thread starter? Looks like a frozen hellhole (as does any city that has a real winter).

Bet it looks alright in the summer though.
Quall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 06:56 AM   #33
Kapow32

Likes (Received): 3

Well no matter how ugly you think the place is, I'm jealous of any town with a castle!
Kapow32 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:37 AM   #34
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_FFM View Post
Believe me - Toronto is not awesome. The architecture is mostly bland. But it's getting better. But it has nothing on even a mid sized average European city when talking about beauty.
Old January 6th, 2010, 08:05 AM   #35
MIBO

Likes (Received): 119

Ugly cities are Bremerhaven or Chemmitz, this one isn't that bad!

East German cities tend to be....less attractive normally.
MIBO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 10:20 AM   #36
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4268

Quote:
Believe me - Toronto is not awesome. The architecture is mostly bland. But it's getting better. But it has nothing on even a mid sized average European city when talking about beauty.
Architecture in German cities is moslty bland as well. Don't get fooled by a few castles and churches. Most german cities were rebuild after WW2 in the cheapest and ugliest way possible.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 11:27 AM   #37
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggerD21 View Post

Although it has some German celebrities and politicians, managers and it has Oetker, who is also the owner of Hamburg Süd shipping company and Schüco is known for solar technology as are Miele for domestic equipment and other famous firms. But the problem is that no one really associates that all to the city. They are like a standalone with no origin!
I think that it isn't only ugly but also very sadly promoted and marketed...
Old January 6th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #38
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Okay, here are some different moods. However I think that people get a bit of a wrong impression due to the natural setting, which hides a bit of the ugliness of the city itself. Ignoring the nature and concentrating on the lack of respect for the cityscape and old structures, it is clear it is an ugly city!

In autumn:

Winter without snow:

Early autumn:

Spoiling a good old Tudor style factory by postmodern waste!
Municipal Hospital Bielefeld-Centre:

One of the very worst places, called Kesselbrink, where practically everything is boxy and ugly:

Typical architecture :

Old facade being spoiled by tasteless mega-paintings.

Another example of respect for old buildings. The Old Water Tower near the railway station (can be purchased as a diorama miniature for hobby builders):

One of the most poorly illuminated cities I have seen so far:

It is only a good backdrop for a horror scene like this when I was caught by a severe thunderstorm on top of the hill last summer:

An early summer picture. Just sad...

On former industrial ground they built this horror architecture, the first thing you see when you arrive at the railway station :

Art Museum with poor illumination and a way too dark park:

No special illumination for Christmas at the Old City Hall:

Old City hall in context with surrounding 50ies to 80ies crap buildings,
the worst being the new city hall from the 80ies:

The tallest building of the city is one of the ugliest - not so good for a city's image:

Old January 6th, 2010, 04:15 PM   #39
rychlik
BANNED

It's still not "ugly" to me. Some it looks quite nice and picturesque.
Old January 6th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #40
Helmet222

Likes (Received): 2

I can`t see anything ugly in those pictures. But i wouldn`t like to live there too, according to this pictures. The city seems so boring and liveless. Sure the city has some 50ies architechture here and there, but this is also the case in every other city having a similiar population. It`s not architecture and big buildings that makes a city a livable place. Look at Liège or Cologne. Those city were filled with loads of ugly buildings in the last century but i always love going there, cuz they are full of live at any time. It`s the diversity that makes it.
Helmet222 no está en línea   Reply With Quote