daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 5th, 2010, 09:56 PM   #1
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 289

MISC | Your Country's Worst Train

YOUR countries WORST train...

Don't be shy people

I'll start for the UK...

The mighty class 142

Slow, noisy, VERY bad ride and generally look awful haha

I <3 London

Last edited by poshbakerloo; May 29th, 2010 at 08:27 PM.
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2010, 10:06 PM   #2
FREKI
Lord of Legoland

Likes (Received): 6384

For Denmark it has to be the IC4

[IMG]http://i47.************/jhuir8.jpg[/IMG]

This wonder of a high tech train should have taken over from the IC3's 6 years ago and handled all Inter City routes by now...

It has however seen more problems than ANY train in Danish history - first of all they picked the worst train company in Europe to manufacture the crap ( don't buy Italian people ) second when trouple showed they desided to pour cash on it instead of changing the manufactor, then as it got worse they pored more and more money on it now with the parliaments backing and when they finally got enough it was so late in the process that they would have to start completely over or go with the crap - so they went with it..

And now 6 years later we have the first couple running - most still in their test phase and still with more problems than any other train before them... and we still lack to get the majority of train set's delivered so they too can go trough the final testing and releave the trains they should have nearly a decade ago...

All in all not so much the train's fault as it is the companies involved but man what a falior!

Screw you AnsaldoBreda!
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:43 PM   #3
scragend

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
YOUR countries WORST train...

Don't be shy people

I'll start for the UK...

The mighty class 142

Slow, noisy, VERY bad ride and generally look awful haha

I concur!
scragend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:57 PM   #4
kazetuner
Perito Mercantil XD

Likes (Received): 38

You've got to be joking, right? Both trains posted would be top class in Argentina. I mean come on, they got windows. We still got things like this:

Old January 6th, 2010, 12:25 AM   #5
takini

Likes (Received): 89

For Serbia it has to be the class 812. Should have been retired a long time ago

[IMG]http://i49.************/o02bfm.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i46.************/16gfvps.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i46.************/t0m8g4.jpg[/IMG]

galerija.railserbia.net
takini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 02:03 AM   #6
Mr_Dru

Likes (Received): 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREKI View Post
For Denmark it has to be the IC4

[IMG]http://i47.************/jhuir8.jpg[/IMG]

This wonder of a high tech train should have taken over from the IC3's 6 years ago and handled all Inter City routes by now...

It has however seen more problems than ANY train in Danish history - first of all they picked the worst train company in Europe to manufacture the crap ( don't buy Italian people ) second when trouple showed they desided to pour cash on it instead of changing the manufactor, then as it got worse they pored more and more money on it now with the parliaments backing and when they finally got enough it was so late in the process that they would have to start completely over or go with the crap - so they went with it..

And now 6 years later we have the first couple running - most still in their test phase and still with more problems than any other train before them... and we still lack to get the majority of train set's delivered so they too can go trough the final testing and releave the trains they should have nearly a decade ago...

All in all not so much the train's fault as it is the companies involved but man what a falior!

Screw you AnsaldoBreda!
You're not alone my Danish friend. The Dutch railways ordered also trains at AnsadoBreda! The €6.7 billion highspeed track in the Netherlands was finished in 2007 but still no trains from AnsaldoBreda. The trains had to be delivered in 2007! It is still unknown when the trains will be delivered.

Not only the trains are delayed, it has also have a ugly design! It was design by Mr. Pininfarina, who also the designer is of the Ferrari cars. But I think he could better stay with designing cars and not trains!

Viva Italia...

Only a single prototype had been delivered for testing.
Mr_Dru no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 10:15 AM   #7
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Hmm... I'd guess these stupid things that run on Adelaide's urban rail network. Adelaide's trains are a bit of a joke, they're only just starting to be electrified (other Australian capitals electrified theirs literally decades and decades ago...). They sometimes run just one single car, as opposed to other Australian cities that normally run about 6 or more.

Photo from Wikipedia...

These are a bit much too...

sauce: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...aideRail_4.jpg

Poor Adelaide... things will be changing soon though.
Old January 6th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #8
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Quote:
Originally Posted by takini View Post
For Serbia it has to be the class 812. Should have been retired a long time ago

[IMG]http://i49.************/o02bfm.jpg[/IMG]
galerija.railserbia.net
How old are those?

The oldest trams still in regular use (i.e. NOT touristy/museum trams) in Stockholm are over 60 years old... :\
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Ŝróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 03:32 PM   #9
FREKI
Lord of Legoland

Likes (Received): 6384

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Dru View Post
You're not alone my Danish friend. The Dutch railways ordered also trains at AnsadoBreda! The €6.7 billion highspeed track in the Netherlands was finished in 2007 but still no trains from AnsaldoBreda. The trains had to be delivered in 2007! It is still unknown when the trains will be delivered.

Not only the trains are delayed, it has also have a ugly design! It was design by Mr. Pininfarina, who also the designer is of the Ferrari cars. But I think he could better stay with designing cars and not trains!.
Man that IS an ugly train!!!

( maybe it's better you never get them at all )

Seems like that Company is a real shitty one!

I gotta say they did alright with our driverless metro and I'm sure the IC4 wil be very nice once all the bugs are gone ( and the trains actually delivered ) it just seem the company get off by underbidding everyone else despite not having the capacity to live up to their promises and contacts..

They recently had to pay us back nearly half the cost due to contract violations - but I'd honestly rather just have the trains around

Last edited by FREKI; January 6th, 2010 at 03:38 PM.
FREKI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 04:19 PM   #10
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

Cisalpino, has problems al the time. We should never had let the Italians run trains into our country.

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 04:41 PM   #11
L2
King of Bali

Likes (Received): 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
They sometimes run just one single car, as opposed to other Australian cities that normally run about 6 or more.
Melbourne runs single-car trains as well to outer suburban/interurban destinations. Feels like being on a bus being on one. I thought these ones in Sydney were pretty horrid to actually ride on, but depending on your tastes might look OK externally:

L2 who is going to this section to try and find English-language posts about French trains
Old January 6th, 2010, 05:12 PM   #12
Astenaar

Likes (Received): 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2 View Post
Melbourne runs single-car trains as well to outer suburban/interurban destinations. Feels like being on a bus being on one. I thought these ones in Sydney were pretty horrid to actually ride on, but depending on your tastes might look OK externally:

L2 who is going to this section to try and find English-language posts about French trains
Well, in the Netherlands the worst were the so called "Wadlopers"

But these are retired nowadays, thank god.

In Australia i took a train to Katoomba, it was quite horrific, only a short distance but it took almost 2 hours to get, there, they were so slow!
I believe it was this train:
Astenaar está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #13
takini

Likes (Received): 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
How old are those?

The oldest trams still in regular use (i.e. NOT touristy/museum trams) in Stockholm are over 60 years old... :\
They were made from 1958 to 1969 and they were quite advanced piece of engineering back then. They have light weight aluminum body and magnetic brakes.

http://sinobus.webs.com/

Belgrade also has old trams and their main problem is massive wheel slipping. The new ordered trams take care of this problem with computer regulation.
takini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #14
yaohua2000

Likes (Received): 7

China

Train 7423 from Puxiong to Panzhihua
YZ-30 330960 (Passenger Capacity: 200)
October 25, 2007

yaohua2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #15
L2
King of Bali

Likes (Received): 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astenaar View Post
In Australia i took a train to Katoomba, it was quite horrific, only a short distance but it took almost 2 hours to get, there, they were so slow!
I believe it was this train:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...px-DK_Vset.jpg
Those trains actually have quite a lot of fans. They aren't bad to travel on for about a couple of hours actually, they're better than the newer equivelants.

The line to the Blue Mountains is very twisty and sleep west of the outer suburban boundary at Penrith. I don't mind it personally if I'm in the right (relaxed) mood. At least they get up to their maximum (115km/h these days) on that line getting through the suburbs.

L2 who has gone almost a year without using CityRail. Wow.
Old January 6th, 2010, 05:47 PM   #16
IcyUrmel

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
How old are those?
This car, unofficially called "Schienenbus" in Germany ("rail bus"), was built in Germany between 1950 and 1958 according to Wikipedia. And put out of service until 1983 here.
Some of them were exported to Yugoslavia and are still operating in Serbia today.

This is the first train I ever took, since it linked my home village to the next city, and always was a great ride because of the all-around-view it offered.

But that's long ago, I only knew of the existance of one reminder, a privately saved one, standing in the garden of the former station of my home village, serving as a garden cabin.

IcyUrmel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 02:27 AM   #17
Mr_Dru

Likes (Received): 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREKI View Post
Man that IS an ugly train!!!

( maybe it's better you never get them at all )

Seems like that Company is a real shitty one!

I gotta say they did alright with our driverless metro and I'm sure the IC4 wil be very nice once all the bugs are gone ( and the trains actually delivered ) it just seem the company get off by underbidding everyone else despite not having the capacity to live up to their promises and contacts..

They recently had to pay us back nearly half the cost due to contract violations - but I'd honestly rather just have the trains around
The Dutch and Danish railcompanies should cancel all the AnsaldoBreda orders and place new orders together at Siemens or Alstom!
Mr_Dru no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 02:28 AM   #18
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

The Polish EN57:

This EMU, which was produced from 1961 to 1993(!), is the very basis of the commuter rail services in Poland. Personally I love those little old workhorses, but it doesn't change the fact that it is the crappiest EMU on the rails (excluding light rail services) today.

You can spot them everywhere, operated by various rail companies and painted in million different schemes. It is loud, obsolete technically, the ride is very bumpy, it accelerates with the pace of an old turtle, the doors usually works only when you ask them nicely and it hardly exceed 100km/h (making a variety of different funny sounds while approaching this crazy velocity) but it still is what you think of when somebody says "commuter rail".

Currently a lot of these trains are being modernized and although the companies began to buy some more modern EMUs it surely won't disappear from Polish rails for another 20 years.

Last edited by Fuzzy Llama; January 7th, 2010 at 02:50 AM.
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 04:07 AM   #19
metro_minotaur
Registered Noob.

Likes (Received): 3

Worst Train in Australia belongs to Melbourne:

2nd worst, but these are being replaced this year:
metro_minotaur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 04:20 AM   #20
Magician
Hellexpress

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaohua2000 View Post
Train 7423 from Puxiong to Panzhihua
YZ-30 330960 (Passenger Capacity: 200)
October 25, 2007

I think this wins over any train system in the world being the worst...