daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 7th, 2010, 10:04 AM   #21
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

LOL at those Chinese trains. It just proves that whilst it might be developing rapidly, the vast majority of the country is still decades behind the West.

And Metro_minotaur, I think those Hitachi sets have a heap of fans in Melbourne. I've never actually ridden on one, they're very rare.

Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2010, 01:17 PM   #22
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

High time we do not just talk about the picture-pretty side of trains, but about the crappy side as well. I think we have two subjects here, on the one side failures in modern train developments and outdated run-down trains still operating on the other. For Germany, failure in modern technology is most prominent in the tilting ICE T operating between Hamburg-Berlin-Munich. The idea is that the train can go highspeed where possible, but then when there is old curving tracks, can follow the curves like a motorcycle racer. Fact is, when the tilting (Alstom-built, copied from Pendolino) is in operation, it often makes your stomach want to heave. But in recent months the titling system is considered a possible cause for derailing, so it remains switched off, leading to delays and missed connections.

http://www.bahn.de/p/view/service/zu...ge/ice_t.shtml
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #23
ABC LV
✖✖✖✖✖✖

Likes (Received): 409

In Latvia, probably DR1A diesels. Bad acceleration.

ABC LV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 04:09 PM   #24
L2
King of Bali

Likes (Received): 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
And Metro_minotaur, I think those Hitachi sets have a heap of fans in Melbourne. I've never actually ridden on one, they're very rare.
They're quite good since they had the refurbishment. Used to be quite grungy and dirty before then.

Was two sets running on the Werribee line today, surprised you didn't get one in from your mcmansion-with-free-plasma-TV that you and exo are getting at Wyndham Vale?
Old January 7th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #25
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 450

While china train photos wins this thread, Australian trains are not too far away in ugly scale. With all tourism that Australian get I figured they could afford a better looking trains.
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #26
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
LOL at those Chinese trains. It just proves that whilst it might be developing rapidly, the vast majority of the country is still decades behind the West.

Or it could be that while the majority of the country is leaping with development, some unfortunate few are sadly left behind.

When you see pictures of fully packed high-speed trains when compared to barely occupied slum coaches, do you automatically assume that the five people who occupied the trash trains represent the general mass and the hundreds sitting in the high-speed train are actually the select few?
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 07:02 PM   #27
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD2 View Post
Or it could be that while the majority of the country is leaping with development, some unfortunate few are sadly left behind.

When you see pictures of fully packed high-speed trains when compared to barely occupied slum coaches, do you automatically assume that the five people who occupied the trash trains represent the general mass and the hundreds sitting in the high-speed train are actually the select few?
The China outside of the big cities is a very different place. Its like England in the 1800s

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #28
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
The China outside of the big cities is a very different place. Its like England in the 1800s
True story. But I've also been to those suburban places. Albeit there are some pretty sad places, most of them are not that bad.

People on this side of the world need to give more credit to that country.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 07:16 PM   #29
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6892

Quote:

stop trolling
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 07:34 PM   #30
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 922

I guess the NSB Type 69 are our worst trains in Norway. Produced in the period 1970-90(!) and almost all are still in service, most as suburban trains around Oslo.

Some of the oldest haven't been upgraded in decades, and recently I drove one which shook violently everytime it accelerated, which ment it both was running slower that, but also shaking my brains out

Personally I'm surprised that the doors are still hanging on them. Most of them stand like this and have a gap between them ---> /\

PS, in the background of the first picture you can see our Ansaldo Breda trains. They are the runners up in this competition, since they can't stand the Norwegian weather!

Take a look at my Photo Mess!

Last edited by IceCheese; January 7th, 2010 at 07:39 PM.
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 07:59 PM   #31
Marek.kvackaj

Likes (Received): 15

Slovakia

first diesel type is for cargo only

second diesel type

[COLOR="rgb(0, 100, 0)"]both together[/COLOR]

both are app. 40 y. old and engines are powerful
Marek.kvackaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 10:12 PM   #32
XD
User Title

Likes (Received): 21

In Russia, probably ER2:

interior:

XD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 10:20 PM   #33
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
YOUR countries WORST train...

Don't be shy people

I'll start for the UK...

The mighty class 142

Slow, noisy, VERY bad ride and generally look awful haha

*shudder*

I feel ill when on these for too long... diesel fumes, poor seating, rocking about, often dirty.. urgh!
Manchester Planner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 11:13 PM   #34
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

in Croatia to me the worst are Bt cars. they run on local trains (although they sometimes get stucked on trains of higher class on some railroads). they have the hardest and the most uncomfortable seats that one could imagine! what is the worst - those seats look comfortable till you sit on them.

[IMG]http://i28.************/28hcumb.jpg[/IMG]

this is the famous interior (seats don't look that bad, but trust me, they are!)

if it is only about motor-unit-trains, then it is class 7121000. seats ar not hard, but back-supports at seats are standing at almos 90° angle. in unit with engine the noise from the engine is so horrible that you cannot talk (in unit without engine it is calm).
there are modernized versions 7121100 (the farer one at the photo), they have good seats and engines are not that loud (although they are present in both units)
x-type está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 07:14 AM   #35
L2
King of Bali

Likes (Received): 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaricManchurian View Post
stop trolling
Explain how city_thing was trolling.
Old January 8th, 2010, 07:24 AM   #36
[email protected]
Global Citizen

Likes (Received): 6407

In Taiwan where I currently live those are probably the oldest trains.

image hosted on flickr

The worst trains I've ever ridden in the developed world were local trains in Belgium. They still have a lot of trains that were built in the 60s in service, but fortunately most of them will be replaced in the years to come.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...rstel_gent.JPG
R@ptor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:12 AM   #37
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

hah, I bet in 10 years the Chinese will be nostalgic for stuff like that. that's always how it works.

Last edited by zaphod; January 8th, 2010 at 10:18 AM.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:28 AM   #38
FREKI
Lord of Legoland

Likes (Received): 6384

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician View Post
I think this wins over any train system in the world being the worst...
Yeah, that train makes even the transport trucks we had in the Army look luxurious!!

But atleast I guess the fare is low and from the look of it I'm guessing it's operating in a very rural place where people take their products with them onboard..
Old January 8th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #39
ArtManDoo

Likes (Received): 49

All DR series trains in Estonia are crap. They have no acceleration, no brakes, no dynamics. All thay have is really high noise level.

But the worst of all DR's is no 312 that has so high polluting russian diesel that it's nicknamed "flying crematory"

Once I rode it, the fume level was so high that my eyes went wet.

In my opinion. If train doesn't have acceptable dynamics, acceleration or noise level then it might have top class seats but ride is still crap.
ArtManDoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 05:52 PM   #40
RoadUser

Likes (Received): 21

Israel:

These were pretty bad:

Thankfully they were withdrawn from service last year.

I was once sitting in one of these carriages with the General Manager of Israel Railways, on a very rainy day. The carriage was leaking badly, and I think on that day he decided to withdraw them ahead of schedule.
RoadUser no está en línea   Reply With Quote