daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 8th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #41
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

The MBTA's commuter rail fleet. It has both ageing wagon stock and freight rail hand-me-downs.

manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2010, 06:13 AM   #42
brisbanite

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaohua2000 View Post
Train 7423 from Puxiong to Panzhihua
YZ-30 330960 (Passenger Capacity: 200)
October 25, 2007

Is that 1st class or economy?

That takes the cake alright!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro_minotaur View Post

2nd worst, but these are being replaced this year:
These double deckers are a shocker if you are sitting on the top deck and trying to see out the window. The windows are too low and if you are a reasonable height, you have to stoop down to look out of them.
brisbanite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2010, 07:15 AM   #43
L2
King of Bali

Likes (Received): 470

Bzzt, incorrect brisbanite. It's just the later Goninan built R/S/K cars that are lower down. The photo is of a Comeng car which have the normal window height.

What I find annoying is those hopper windows. The lack of air conditioning would be far less of an issue if they had windows that actually let any decent quantity of air in.
Old January 10th, 2010, 08:01 AM   #44
KiwiGuy
¡VIVA EL GORDO!

Likes (Received): 1668

Every train in New Zealand is crap. And old. We desperately need better rail infrastructure if the government's plans to increase rail frieght goes ahead.
KiwiGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2010, 08:40 AM   #45
ArtManDoo

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Currently a lot of these EN57 trains are being modernized
I was riding different types of EN57 trains last summer. One modernized EN57 served an IR route. In my opinion the modernized EN75 makes rail travel worse that it used to be with loco + Pafawag cars. Those Polish Pafawag cars had good dynamics and really OK noise isolation. The ride would be smoother and better than in modernized EN57. Unfortunately seems that EN57 modernization is a way cheaper than Pafawag cars modernisation.
ArtManDoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2010, 12:04 PM   #46
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post

Cisalpino, has problems al the time. We should never had let the Italians run trains into our country.
SBB always refused to make maintenance of its own, and Trenitalia...don't care much of them. And Italian railways are famous for their delays, that spread out on international trains. I think it isn't only fault of the train itself, even if this type is unreliable compared to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Dru View Post
The Dutch and Danish railcompanies should cancel all the AnsaldoBreda orders and place new orders together at Siemens or Alstom!
If they cancel their order then they would remain without trains for another 4 or 5 years. They should have cancelled the order years ago, now I think it's better to try to put them in service.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2010, 12:40 PM   #47
Avientu

Likes (Received): 39

And talking about delays, AnsaldoBreda is not the only one to blame... Siemens had HUGE delays in delivering the Velaro train to Spain.

Avientu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2010, 04:45 PM   #48
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6892

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2 View Post
Explain how city_thing was trolling.
He's stereotyping an entire country based on one isolated scene, and has repeatedly done this in the past (especially with China). Compared to other developing countries, such as India or the Philippines, China's worst trains are better than their average.
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 08:07 AM   #49
brisbanite

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2 View Post
Bzzt, incorrect brisbanite. It's just the later Goninan built R/S/K cars that are lower down. The photo is of a Comeng car which have the normal window height.

What I find annoying is those hopper windows. The lack of air conditioning would be far less of an issue if they had windows that actually let any decent quantity of air in.
Actually it is an Goninan built S set with a Comeng leading car.
brisbanite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #50
WalkTheWorld
Ministry of Truth

Likes (Received): 3519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avientu View Post
And talking about delays, AnsaldoBreda is not the only one to blame... Siemens had HUGE delays in delivering the Velaro train to Spain.
Let alone Siemens allegedly poor record in dealing with public companies, if you get what I mean.

Bashing competitors is part of the game, anyway.
Old January 12th, 2010, 11:21 AM   #51
(fabrizio)

Likes (Received): 3096

AnsaldoBreda has a quite bad record indeed, Milan's new metro trains are really late on deliveries and are experiencing some faults as well. Alstom, which has bought Fiat Ferroviaria several years ago (and using some of its know-how) is way better. The ETR610 Cisalpino's not that bad thing, IMHO.
(fabrizio) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 12:19 PM   #52
RoadUser

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avientu View Post
Siemens were also about year late delivering trains to Israel. I think all but one of the trains is now in service, replacing the abovementioned old crocks.
RoadUser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 09:37 PM   #53
tankista

Likes (Received): 0

I can´t imagine how can the ticket conductor do his job? Or those people standing on the engine and hanging from the windows are having ride for free?
tankista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #54
tankista

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetuner View Post
You've got to be joking, right? Both trains posted would be top class in Argentina. I mean come on, they got windows. We still got things like this:

I can´t imagine how can the ticket conductor do his job? Or those people standing on the engine and hanging from the windows are having ride for free?
tankista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 12:30 AM   #55
Teach

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Alstom, which has bought Fiat Ferroviaria several years ago (and using some of its know-how) is way better.
Better not tell that to the Belgian railways: the last two times they bought from Alstom the trains were late and full of teething problems. The locomotives (series 13) are still very unreliable, and the DMUs (all built between 2001 and 2003) are already starting to fall apart...
Teach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 11:04 AM   #56
Koesj
Historian

Likes (Received): 72

Based on riders' comfort I'd say DD-AR in the Netherlands. These Double Decker Agglo-Regional trains are relatively uncomfortable in the upper sections, based on my abilty to fall asleep in them Even the old Plan V/T trains are a more relaxed ride and especially the old ICM ones are great with (nearly) leather seats in second class.

The problem with the upper decks in all Dutch trains is baggage space and cramped seating but (V)IRM just beats out DD-AR because they don't smell, yet.
Koesj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 11:19 AM   #57
(fabrizio)

Likes (Received): 3096

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
Better not tell that to the Belgian railways: the last two times they bought from Alstom the trains were late and full of teething problems. The locomotives (series 13) are still very unreliable, and the DMUs (all built between 2001 and 2003) are already starting to fall apart...
Well, I guess every train has problems then! I heard nothing about Stadler's Flirt though.
(fabrizio) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 09:14 PM   #58
bongo-anders

Likes (Received): 3599

The IC4 train was shown as the worst danish train but there are some decent contender in the litra ADns-e regional service car, the litra MR dmu and the litra YM called Lynetten used by a small amount of local railroads like Vestbanen and lemvig banen
Østbanen has just replaced the Lynette trains with Coradia Lint a couple of monts ago.

Litra ADns

And the equally old litra ME diesel locomotive

Litra MR

Litra YM "Lynetten" from Vestbanen

bongo-anders no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 01:41 AM   #59
Crownsteler

Likes (Received): 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koesj View Post
Based on riders' comfort I'd say DD-AR in the Netherlands. These Double Decker Agglo-Regional trains are relatively uncomfortable in the upper sections, based on my abilty to fall asleep in them Even the old Plan V/T trains are a more relaxed ride and especially the old ICM ones are great with (nearly) leather seats in second class.

The problem with the upper decks in all Dutch trains is baggage space and cramped seating but (V)IRM just beats out DD-AR because they don't smell, yet.
Seriously, you choose these over DD-AR?!

(source: wikipedia)
Granted, I have the good fortune to mostly travel on (V)IRM's, and occasionally on koplopers, but in my experience Plan V's are the worst trains in the country. They are old and worn out, and should be replaced (replacements were ordered, but now delayed due to software problems). Generally speaking, I find them highly uncomfortable, providing a very bumpy and shaky ride, as well as being very noisy (which is worse in summer when the windows have to be opened due to a lack of AC).The interiour is also very ugly and worn out, and always manages to look dirty to me.

(source: Niko Spilt)
I think the (V)IRM is my favorite, but they tend to feel (dangerously) unstable on poor track condictions and on switches.
Crownsteler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 06:44 AM   #60
Andre_idol
Fluorescent Adolescent

Likes (Received): 431

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

The worst trains I've ever ridden in the developed world were local trains in Belgium. They still have a lot of trains that were built in the 60s in service, but fortunately most of them will be replaced in the years to come.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...rstel_gent.JPG
Agree.