daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Ethiopia > Projects & Construction > Economic & Social Issues

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 15th, 2011, 04:30 AM   #221
abesha
BANNED

Likes (Received): 499

Great pics.

The soil is so dark and rich looking.
abesha no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 16th, 2011, 12:56 AM   #222
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Likes (Received): 1483

A revolution waiting to happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM2 View Post
Gross! They have this EXACT civet coffee in Indonesia, called Kopi Luwak. That's the coffee Jack Nicholson drinks in 'The Bucket List'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak
Exactly what came to mind, the Indonesian coffee that is. Hopefully it can become all expensive and stuff! The Fela Kuti was nice touch.
(Don't forget Ethiopia and NYC, too!)
Simfan34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 01:04 AM   #223
yosef
Ye Kebele Chairman

Likes (Received): 551

Fresh meat New countries buy Ethiopian

Quote:
By Muluken Yewondwossen
Monday, 14 February 2011 12:14

The country’s meat products are expanding into unexplored territory as new countries are buying Ethiopian. According to information obtained from the Meat and Dairy Development Institution under the Ministry of Agriculture, Iran has agreed to buy 10,000 tons of cattle, sheep and goat meat from Ethiopia. Iran has not imported Ethiopian meat before.

Gedey Gebre Medhin, director of the institute, said that Iran’s demand is almost above the country’s total exports from last year.
The growing industry is closely followed by the Export Coordinator Committee, chaired by PM Meles Zenawi, and is also attracting markets from other countries as well as investors who want to buy and be part of the investment in the country.

Gedey told Capital that Lebanon is another new import destiny for Ethiopian meat. He said that the Lebanon delegation will arrive in Addis Ababa this week to sign the final arrangement to start the export. According to the agreement the country will import the largest amount to Iran.

The director explained that Lebanese will not only supply the product to the Lebanon market but for other marketplaces like Iraq, Jordan and Syria.
When Ethiopia commences the export for the two countries it will be one of the largest meat exporter countries which previously was dominated by Pakistan, Australia and Latin American countries.

Turkey will become another buyer of Ethiopian meat. Currently Turkish importers have been in discussions with Ethiopia on getting a final deal.
Ethiopian abattoirs and other hygienic and veterinary services standards improvement are the main reason for the attraction of new international markets, the experts explained.

Ethiopia mainly exports sheep and goat meat, for the Gulf countries. Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Yemen and Bahrain are the major importers.

In the first half of the budget year Ethiopia exported close to 8100 tons of meat. Only 7 percent came from cattle. According to the head, the country is attentively working to expand cattle meat exports that cover 80 percent of global demand.About seven local companies are exporting meat, while most of them are focused on sheep and goat meat exporting.

Currently, only Abergele, an abattoir under EFFORT that is based in Mekele, has fully undertaken cattle meat processing and Ashrafe, formed at Bahir Dar, is in the final stage to commence cattle slaughtering and export. “We are supporting the rest to enhance their capacity and begin exporting cattle meat,” Gedey said.

According to the expert, the sector investment has shown more rapid growth than previously. “Currently new abattoirs are erecting or on the process to start their production,” he explained.

A Canadian and Ethiopia joint venture investment that demanded to enter in the abattoir and meat export has started its investment activity in Jijiga, capital of Somali regional state, which is one of the potential livestock production areas in the country, while it is major line for contraband in the sector. And the popular Indian firm Alana is in process to be part of the investment export from Ethiopia.

http://www.capitalethiopia.com/index...ntent&Itemid=4
Good to see alot of foreign investors getting involved and alot of new abattoirs coming up, hopefully some Ethio natives jump into the sector as well so that some of our own people can benefit more from it.
yosef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 01:08 AM   #224
yosef
Ye Kebele Chairman

Dutch investors eye poultry, meat sectors

Quote:
By Betelhem Assefa
Monday, 14 February 2011 12:22

‘Poultry and Meat Ethiopia’ Seminar took place on Wednesday February 9, at the Hilton Hotel, opened by the Dutch Ambassador Hans Blankenberg. The event was organized by the Netherlands - African business council in collaboration with the royal Netherlands embassy and the Addis Ababa Chamber of Commerce and Sectoral Associations (AACCSA).

A Dutch trade delegation consisting of sixteen members arrived here last Sunday and visited various diary, poultry and meat processing agro industries and farms owned by Dutch and Ethiopians in and around Addis. The delegation also held discussions with the Ethiopian private sector. The purpose of the seminar was to explore more intensified cooperation in the poultry and meat sector in Ethiopia. Investment opportunities for commercial livestock breeding, production and processing of meat, milk and eggs, and establishing useful business contact are of highest importance for the visiting companies.

http://www.capitalethiopia.com/index...ntent&Itemid=4
Old February 16th, 2011, 05:09 AM   #225
abesha
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosef View Post
Fresh meat New countries buy Ethiopian

Good to see alot of foreign investors getting involved and alot of new abattoirs coming up, hopefully some Ethio natives jump into the sector as well so that some of our own people can benefit more from it.
I agree. The big mouths like Nomadic Warrior should go back and invest in the Somali region's large potential.
Old February 16th, 2011, 08:54 AM   #226
Ahadu
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Produce Food!

Who the heck is this guy?.....Really like him. I feel like he is reading my mind.

Ahadu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 09:13 AM   #227
Yoniii

Likes (Received): 1180

These new deals will probably double the exports, very impressive! I agree with abesha, the Somali region has huge potential in this sector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahadu View Post
Produce Food!
Who the heck is this guy?.....Really like him. I feel like he is reading my mind.
I don't know, I've watched the first 10min so far and it seems interesting.

Edit: That was a great presentation, very motivational. There is obviously so much to do in the country, it's time for us to wake up.

Last edited by Yoniii; February 16th, 2011 at 11:14 AM.
Yoniii no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 04:55 PM   #228
abesha
BANNED

Very good presentation, thanks for sharing.

I definitely believe agriculture is a goldmine waiting to be exploited. I'd love to invest in it in the future.
Old February 27th, 2011, 08:22 AM   #229
Ahadu
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Simple but so effective. $20,000 Birr / year profit. Not bad at all. I really like Mr. Hussein’s smartness. Gobez Mr Hussein....I bow Lerso Bicha ... YES for fresh Atakilt.

Watch it @ 9:56...

Ahadu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #230
yosef
Ye Kebele Chairman

that presentation by Daniel Gad was really good, I hope he put his ideas into practice with success
Old March 12th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #231
yosef
Ye Kebele Chairman

Quarter billion USD for agriculture in five years

Quote:
By Muluken Yewondwossen

Tuesday, 08 March 2011 12:18

A quarter billion dollar project, Agricultural Growth Program (AGP), part of the five year Growth and Transformation Plan (GTP), is expected to be launched officially within a month.

The project is part of the government’s main target to double the country’s production by the end of the plan year in 2015. It is focusing on four regions and over 80 selected areas that are expected to meet the government’s new growth target.

The total 258.3 million dollars expected from the World Bank through the International Development Agency (IDA) and other donor partners will be dispersed in the coming five year agricultural growth activities in the selected 83 woredas in Amhara, Oromia, Tigray and Southern Nations Nationalities and People’s (SNNP) Regions. It will also go to administrational costs.

More details about the plan: from Capital

Tomatoes in two thirds the time with new greenhouse

Quote:
By Muluken Yewondwossen

Monday, 07 March 2011 13:26

The first low cost greenhouse has been implemented to help cultivate vegetables, with the support of USAID-ATEP at Tefki Farm, located at Tulu Bolo town 80km west of Addis Ababa. The cost effective greenhouse has been setup to cultivate tomatoes on 500 square meters of land.

Melaku Tedla, senior Agronomist at USAID-ATEP, who worked on the design and construction of the greenhouse, told Capital that even though the technique is new; the low cost greenhouse technology works well in countries like Ethiopia. “For instance in Kenya a lot of households are using the low cost greenhouse farming on their small lands and generate a huge amount of income from the sector,” the agronomist explained.

According to Melaku, the current 500 square meter low cost greenhouse implemented at Tefki tomato farm has expended 32,000 birr with all necessary materials including tanker and drip irrigation, but the income that will be collected from the production is estimated to be about three times the investment cost.

The green-house which is erected on the wood structure, has a capacity to last for four years. According to experts if the cost of plastic, which is the major item for greenhouse set up and consumes the largest part of the investment, is reduced or is produced locally, the investment for cost effective greenhouse erection will be decrease from the current amount.
Melaku added that, the low cost greenhouse is more effective for small scale farming and urban based farming as it is more advantageous for collecting high yields from small areas of plantation. “Any households and farmers who have a small plot on their compound are able to implement this technology,” the senior agronomist added.

Capital
Old March 21st, 2011, 05:29 PM   #232
The Nomadic Warrior
BANNED

Likes (Received): 109

http://www.guardian.co.uk/global-dev...opia-land-rush

Thought provoking video,

Thoughts?
The Nomadic Warrior no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 06:26 PM   #233
musa90

Likes (Received): 8

Gambella is one of the most fertile yet least populated areas of Ethiopia. So perhaps the government thinks the few people who live there won't make a big fuss out of it. I don't think they could pull off something like that in the heart of the country with much higher population densities.
musa90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 10:37 PM   #234
Yoniii

It would had been impossible to relocate the people in central ethiopia. I hope they use the income from these land "sales" to develop and improve local farmers.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:19 PM   #235
Yoniii

A very interesting and objective report, really worth reading.

Ethiopian Agriculture Takes New Track
Quote:
Tuna Geda, 30 is busy in his onion farm located near Lake Zway in eastern Shoa province of Oromia Regional State of Ethiopia. Like tens of young farmers who are now working for him, he is also a son of poor farmers who rely on rain fed agriculture farming on a quarter of a hectare plot.

In order to support his family, Tuna began working for other farmers as daily laborer when he was 15. Including the half hectares of land he got from his family after his father died few years ago, he now produces fruits and vegetables on 25 hectares and cereals on another 12 hectares.

“I decided to quit school at sixth grade after I began working for a very hardworking rich farmer in our neighborhood, named Gobenna Holla,” he says. “Then I say to my self ‘one day I will have tractor like him and become a reach farmer’. When my father died, I realized that it is time for me to act.”

Young Tuna then began using ground water renting a water pump for growing vegetables on his family’s plot. After he bought one water pump, which now reached 12, Tuna began renting idle plots from the neighborhood for expanding his agriculture.

He used both oxen and the labor of youngsters in the village to develop the land. Now he has made an advance payment of 230,000 birr to buy a large Brazilian tractor for 1.2 million birr. “I make up to one million birr every four month only from my onion and tomato farm,” says Tuna, who created job for some 50 youths in the area.

A few kilometers away from Tuna’s farm, Simbiro Dadi, 26, is also engaged in farming of fruits. He has been producing mango and papaya on four hectares for the past few years.

“I completed tenth grade and moved to agriculture borrowing water pump from other farmers like Tuna. My role model is Koricho Gragn, who became successful farmer in our neighborhood by producing fruits after studying Accounting in Asmara University four three years,” he says.

Now, Simbiro is building a hotel on 1,000 square meters of plot in Meki, a nearby town in Easter Shoa zone of Oromia where he also built a villa on 600 square meters of land.

All Eyes on Agriculture?

Agriculture in Ethiopia is being considered as one of the most backward field, which gives almost no return. Farmers teach their children to save them from being a farmer in the future. Those who cannot afford to teach their children, have no other option that pushing their children to exile to urban areas and support themselves and their family. Millions of young children of Ethiopian farmers engaged in different businesses in major cities like Addis Ababa.

Other than sending money to their parents and visiting them during major holidays like Meskel, these children have never thought of making productive their families agricultural land. As a result, Ethiopia has been recipient of foreign food aid to feed several millions of its poor farmers, which only harvest once in a year using rainwater with traditional farming technique.

To change the situation Ethiopian governments have been teaching the farmers on how to use ground water and a nearby river for irrigation to produce cash crops twice or three times a year. With main objective of introducing modern farming techniques and irrigation to small-scale farmers, technical supports through agriculture extension workers and loans for fertilizers with pesticides have been provided to the farmers.

Meanwhile, the results were not as expected, as many farmers did not act accordingly due to various reasons. Still millions of Ethiopians, including the urban people, believe that Ethiopian agriculture is hopeless and being a small-hold farmer is being poor forever.

Resistant of the farmers to new way of doing things, lack of human and financial capital at small-hold farm level, absence of role models in agriculture and the like are among the reasons for the poor performance of Ethiopian agriculture for several decades.

Paradigm Shift

The struggle the country makes to liberate itself from being recipient of foreign food aid continued and major actions began to take place by the government. Government’s policy of allowing foreign investors to be engaged in mechanized farming in Ethiopia has come at the right time of ‘global food crises’ a few years ago.

Speaking to local journalists last week, Prime Minister Meles indicated that his government has recently distributed a total of 300,000 hectares of agricultural land for both local and foreign inventors. He also noted that about 2.7 million hectares of farm land in different parts of the country is also waiting for investors after being identified and secured in the central land bank.

As tens of foreign investors, including the Indian Karaturi Global and Saudi Star of the Ethiopian born-Sheik Mohammed Al Amoudi began securing several thousands of hectares for agriculture, Ethiopians both inside and out of the country began opening their eyes.

Wrestling with their century-old attitude towards Ethiopian agriculture many people began to change gradually. While some Ethiopians who reside abroad joined the western ‘anti land grabbing’ campaign, other Ethiopian diaspora began returning home and sharing the land to be engaged in commercial farming.

On the other hand the children of Ethiopian farmers, such as Tuna have also began realizing that they can be farmers like Indians by using technology and become reach.

“It is not a rocket science. Improving Ethiopian agriculture performance is all about using the appropriate technology such as water pumps, improved seeds, fertilizers, pesticides and the like,” says Tarekegn Tsige, Communication Director at the Ministry of Agriculture.

Government’s award to successful small-hold farmers, which are televised, live on state TV, has also forced many people to reconsider their previous perception about Ethiopian agriculture while others took it as government propaganda.

“Be a teacher or a student or a listener and never be the fourth one. The fourth one is useless,” said Mishamo Lombebo, former solder of the previous regime, who became a successful farmer in Hadya Zone of Southern Region.

“I never think of anything else than expanding agriculture when ever I make money. Our families have inherited us the land. If we use water and listened to the teachings of agriculture extension workers, we can create wealth,” says Mishamo, who is making hundreds of thousands of birr annually from husbandry, coffee and horticulture farm of four hectares.

Water – A crude Oil for Ethiopian Farmers

Even though the country is making progress in reducing the number of its poor farmers, still above two million Ethiopians are receiving food aid from abroad. Primarily the intervention of the government was focused on provision of fertilizers, pesticides and improved seeds to some extent. The new approach now targets on creating successful model small-hold farmers by supporting them all the way using agriculture extension workers.

The support ranges from helping the farmers on how they can get ground water and river water for irrigation using motor pumps to which specific improved seed the farmer has to grow and facilitating market access.

In addition, some regions such as Oromia Regional State and Dire Dawa Administration have also realized the need for additional investment by the government where getting ground water or river for irrigation is difficult.

In a bold move of investing on a huge project that brings water close to the farmers, Oromia Regional State spent over 150 million birr on diverting a fraction of Awash River to the farmers who previously cannot have access to the water otherwise.

The money, the regional administration used for the project was meant to be distributed to farmers through safety net either in terms of food aid. Tibila Integrated Irrigation Project began three years ago. It splits the mountains that hindered Awash River to reach farmers living in the Eastern Shoa parts of Oromia Region.

Now the water has reached some 16 kilometers allowing the farmers in the area to harvest two and three times in one year. When it will be completed the water is expected to travel a total of 32 kilometers between the mountains benefiting 16,000 households who were semi-pastoralists and diverts the water into 7,000 hectares of agricultural land.

Now, the semi-pastoralists in the area have been harvesting vegetables every four month either by renting their land to others including awakened civil servants and other urban dwellers or partnering with young farmers from other parts of the country on the basis of sharing the profit.

Aragaw Gonche, 20, is a young farmer originally from Selale, couple hundreds kilometers far from where is now working. He is now farming land of a semi-pastoralist around Fentalle area using the water provided by Oromia Region.

During the previous harvest season he made 5,000 birr after planting onion on a quarter of a hectare and protecting it until it reaches for harvest. He works on sharing the revenue basis with Semi-pastoralists. The owner of the land provide him food worth 300 birr every month and shelter.

“The fact that I get 5,000 birr by working on a quarter of a hectare encouraged me to increase the land size. And now I and my friend are working on one and half hectares for semi-pastoralists,” says Aragaw hoping that they will get around 40,000 birr at the end if the current market of onion continues.

Replicating Tibila, Oromia region has also started a new project on Lake Zway. But this time there was no need to dismantle mountains as the land is flat. The Derara-Dalecha Project aims to pump into two big ponds and distribute it to 12,000 hectares of land located near Meki town.

“Since two rivers namely, Ketar and Meki are flowing to the lake continuously to the lake, we do not worry about drying the lake,” says Beriso Bekele, Dugda Wereda Deputy Administrator and Head of Agriculture. “In fact Lake Zway has been causing damages to the farms in the area several times by overflowing.”

Dire Dawa Administration, which lost lives of 500 people five years ago due to flood, is also engaged in building sediment storage dams. The dams will enable the water coming between the mountains to sink and recharge the ground water to be used for irrigation and protect the harvest bellow the mountain from being washed away.

Engaging the farmers who receive food aid under safety net program, the administration has build 16 dams so far each with 35,000 meter cube water storing capacity. “We plan to build at least seven sediment storage dams every year,” says Ibrahim Ousman Farah, Dire Dawa Agriculture, water and Energy Bureau Head.

Unlike the previous time, the fact that Deputy Administrator poison is given to individuals at the Ministry of Agriculture at most wereda (grassroots) level is also facilitating the implementation of programs that target in changing the lives of poor small-hold farmers.

"Development Army" Training

Model farmer Koricho Gragn who turned to agriculture after graduating in Accounting from Asmara University
Most of the success stories achieved in agriculture are obtained by the new generation sons and daughters of the farmers such as Tuna, Simbirro to whom the government has been awarding trophies and tractors recognizing their success.

Relying mainly on this new generation and the model farmers, the country has now set an ambitious plan of doubling the production of its agriculture output in five years and end the acute food shortage once and for all.

Expanding the new approaches of creating model successful farmers, Ethiopian government has now launched an expansion strategy of the success. The model farmers, which are awarded by Prime Minister Meles Zenawi, are now assigned to train five farmers each (development army) in their neighborhoods.

Writer's Comment

The realities on the ground, visited by both private and state media for the past two weeks can be considered as a spring board for the country to achieve its target of doubling the production and began channeling the surplus into envisioned domestic agro-processing companies.

Meanwhile still regions like Oromia needs to make sure that what is being done to change the lives of poor small-hold farmers is fully benefiting. Otherwise there will be a risk making the farmers rent seekers who will be under the mercy of the so-called awakened urban dwellers.

Newbusinessethiopia.com would like to thank the Ministry of Agriculture and by the Office Government Communication Affairs for facilitating the field visit. In the future we also hope to that the media will get the chance to visit commercial farms to see how farmers in the area are benefiting from and show the reality to the world.
Source

Last edited by Yoniii; March 23rd, 2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old March 24th, 2011, 01:10 AM   #236
yosef
Ye Kebele Chairman

very nice article Yoniii

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nomadic Warrior View Post
thats a nice video, gives a good look at the overall issue. thanks for posting.
Old March 24th, 2011, 01:13 AM   #237
yosef
Ye Kebele Chairman

New Edible Oil Refineries to be Inaugurated

Sudanese company has completed construction on two large manufacturing compounds in Bahir Dar

Quote:
Ashraf Agricultural Industrial Complex plc, a Sudanese company, has completed construction on two edible oil refineries in Bahir Dar, which have the capacity to produce 50tn of edible oil per day.
They will be inaugurated on April 4, 2011, in the presence of high ranking officials from both countries. The company was established by Ashraf Seed Ahmed Al-Cardinal (PhD), a Sudanese investor, in 2005 at a total cost of one billion Br.

The company has two compounds in Bahir Dar, of which one is located on 37,000 sqm of land that the company received from the Investment Bureau of Amhara Regional State.

The other compound, which occupies 137,000 sqm, was acquired through the Privatization and Puplic Enterprise s Supervision Agency (PPESA) in April, 2008, from Bahir Dar Edible Oil Share Holding Company in which Ashraf is the major shareholder.

The company is currently developing the production of edible oil, an export abattoir, a rendering plant, and an ice factory in the first compound under the name of Ashraf Agricultural Industrial Complex Plc, in which Ashraf, his wife and children are the shareholders.

Ashraf Edible Oil Factory, which rests in the first compound and has the capacity to produce 16,500tn per annum, will produce four kinds of oil from ground nuts, niger seed, rapeseed, and sesame, with the brand name of Bahir Dar Cooking Oil. It will be packed starting from 0.5 litre PET bottles.

The factory was built by an Indian construction company whose name and management was not disclosed by Ashraf.

At the same time, they are developing agricultural farming, water and juice production, a plastics factory, an animal feed factory, and a sunflower oil factory in the second compound; where by Bahir Dar Edible Oil SC has been only producing oil. They will produce the sunflower oil under the brand name Safi.

Addis Fortune
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:26 AM   #238
cyberManHere

Likes (Received): 26

Saudi Billionaire's Company Will Invest $2.5 Billion in Ethiopia Rice Farm

Quote:

Saudi Star Agricultural Development Plc, a food company owned by billionaire Sheikh Mohammed al- Amoudi, said it plans to invest $2.5 billion by 2020 developing a rice-farming project in Ethiopia.

The company, based in Addis Ababa, leased 10,000 hectares (24,711 acres) in Ethiopia’s western Gambella region for 60 years at a cost of 158 birr ($9.42) per hectare annually, Chief Executive Officer Haile Assegide said in an interview on March 18. It plans to rent an additional 290,000 hectares from the government, he said.

The project forms part of the Horn of Africa nation’s plan to lease 3 million hectares, an area about the size of Belgium, to private investors over the next 2 ½ years. Critics including GRAIN, the Barcelona-based advocacy group, have argued that domestic farmers are being dispossessed and the country shouldn’t rent land cheaply to foreign investors to grow cash crops when about 13 percent of its approximately 80 million people still rely on food aid.

“There is lots of land in Ethiopia, especially in the lowland areas,” Haile said. “So, if you develop this lowland area and make Ethiopia self-sufficient in food, I see no problem.”

Karuturi Global Ltd. (KARG), an Indian food processor, plans to produce commodities including palm oil, sugar and rice on 312,000 hectares of rented land in Ethiopia.
‘Villagization’

The Agriculture Ministry announced in November it plans to relocate 45,000 households, or about three-quarters of the population of Gambella, by mid-2013. Almost half of the region’s population is made up of the semi-nomadic Lou Nuer people, according to the 2007 Population and Housing Census.

The government says the so-called villagization program is aimed at improving public-service delivery and is not linked to investments in land.

“Where we have leased, there is no settler,” Haile said. “In the future, there might be some resettlement.”

When previous projects of Saudi Star’s parent company, Midroc Ethiopia Plc, have displaced people, it has compensated people, resettled them and provided public services including schools, health clinics and loans, according to Haile.

Over the past 15 months, Saudi Star spent $140 million buying equipment, clearing part of the land in Gambella and developing a 25-hectare trial plot, he said. Another 130,000 hectares has been allocated and there are plans to lease a further 160,000, Haile said. Ethiopia, Africa’s second-most populous nation with about 83 million people, bars private land ownership.
Saudi Exports

Other crops including sunflowers and corn will be grown in areas not suitable for rice, Haile said.

Two-thirds of the food produced will be exported by Saudi Star, with Saudi Arabia likely to be a “very dominant” market, while the rest will be sold domestically, according to Haile. This month, the Ethiopian Foreign Ministry said the agreement with Saudi Star required the company to sell 40 percent domestically, while 60 percent could be shipped offshore.

“There is no government policy to my knowledge,” Haile said.

Saudi Star’s farm will eventually produce as much as 1.5 million metric tons of rice a year and directly employ 250,000 people, in part because of a strategy to reduce mechanization.

“We don’t want to make it capital intensive,” he said. “We want to make it a mix of labor and capital”.

Rough rice for May delivery fell less than 0.1 percent to $13.85 per 100 pounds on the Chicago Board of Trade at 8:58 a.m. Nairobi time.

Saudi Arabian businesses invested more than any other country in Ethiopia over the past five years, the Ethiopian News Agency reported in December. Ethiopia plans to attract foreign and domestic investment of 703 billion birr over the next five years, according to the agency.

Al-Amoudi, 66, is the world’s 63rd richest person and the second-wealthiest in Saudi Arabia with assets worth $12.3 billion, according to Forbes magazine’s annual global ranking of billionaires.
source
cyberManHere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #239
abnet

Likes (Received): 605

Good news for flower and fruit investors in ethiopia.

Quote:
Reporter - Amharic Version

Tuesday, Mar 29th

ለአበባ አትክልትና ፍራፍሬ የሚሆኑ ተጨማሪ ቦታዎች እየተዘጋጁ ነው

- የብድር ማራዘሚያ ዕድሉ 30 ኩባንያዎችን ከመሸጥ እንዳዳናቸው ተገለጸ

በዳዊት ታዬ

ከአበባ፣ ከአትክልትና ፍራፍሬ ምርት የሚገኘውን የውጭ ምንዛሪ ለማሳደግ የሚያስችል ተጨማሪ የመሬት ዝግጅት እየተደረገ መሆኑ ተገለጸ፡፡

‹‹ሆርቲ ፍሎራ ኢትዮጵያ 2011›› በሚል መሪ ቃል የተዘጋጀውን ዓለም አቀፍ የንግድ ትርዒት አስመልክቶ የኢትዮጵያ አበባ አትክልትና ፍራፍሬ አምራቾችና ላኪዎች ሊቀመንበር አቶ ፀጋዬ አበበ እንደገለጹት፣ መንግሥት ከአምስት እስከ ሰባት ሺሕ ሔክታር የሚሆን መሬት ይዘጋጃል ተብሎ ይጠበቃል፡፡

በአሁኑ ወቅት በሁሉም ክልሎች ለአበባ አትክልትና ፍራፍሬ ሊሆኑ የሚችሉ ቦታዎች ተመርጠው ወደ መሬት ባንክ እየገቡ መሆናቸውን የገለጹት አቶ ፀጋዬ፣ ተጨማሪ ቦታዎች ማዘጋጀት በዘርፉ የሚገኘውን የውጭ ምንዛሪ ለማሳደግ ትልቅ ጠቀሜታ አለው፡፡

በአሁኑ ወቅት በአበባ እርሻ የተሸፈነው መሬት ከ1,600 ሔክታር የማይበልጥ መሆኑን የጠቀሱት አቶ ፀጋዬ፣ በቀጣይ ዓመታት ይህ ከእጥፍ በላይ ያድጋል፡፡

ለውጭ ገበያ የሚቀርበው የአትክልትና ፍራፍሬ የሚመረትበትም የመሬት ይዞታ ከአንድ ሺሕ ሔክታር መሬት በታች በመሆኑ ተጨማሪ ቦታዎችን ማዘጋጀቱ የአትክልት ፍራፍሬ ምርት እንዲያድግ እንደሚያደርግም ጠቅሰዋል፡፡

እስካሁን ባለው መረጃም በአበባ አትክልትና ፍራፍሬ ልማት ላይ ያሉ ኩባንያዎች በተረከቡበት ቦታ ላይ ሙሉ ለሙሉ እያለሙ ከሆነ ተጨማሪ ቦታ የማግኘት ዕድል እንዳላቸውም ጠቁመዋል፡፡

የአበባ የአትክልትና ፍራፍሬ ምርት እያስገኘ ያለው ጠቀሜታ ከጊዜ ወደ ጊዜ እያደገ በመምጣቱ በየዓመቱ ከ25 እስከ 30 በመቶ ዕድገት እያሳየም ነው ተብሏል፡፡ ባሳለፍነው ረቡዕ በጠቅላይ ሚኒስትር መለስ ዜናዊ በይፋ የተከፈተው የንግድ ትርዒት ላይ እንደተገለጸውም፣ መንግሥት በዘርፉ ለተሰማሩ ባለሀብቶች የሰጠውን ብድር የመክፈያ ጊዜ ማራዘሙ ከ30 የሚያንሱ የአበባ እርሻዎች ከሽያጭ እንዲድኑ አድርጓል፡፡ የአበባ እርሻዎቹ የብድር ጊዜን ማራዘሚያ ማግኘታቸው ደግሞ የበለጠ እንዲሠሩ አበረታቷቸዋል፡፡

ከአበባ የወጪ ንግድ በዓመት እየተገኘ ያለው ገቢ ወደ 160 ሚሊዮን ዶላር ደርሷል፡፡ ከአትክልትና ፍራፍሬ የወጪ ንግድ ደግሞ በአሁኑ ወቅት እየተገኘ ያለው ዓመታዊ ገቢ ከ40 ሚሊዮን ዶላር ያልበለጠ ነው፡፡ በተያዘው በጀት ዓመት ማጠቃለያ ላይም ከአበባ 190 ሚሊዮን ዶላር ገቢ ይገኛል ተብሎ ይጠበቃል፡፡

እንደ አቶ ፀጋዬ ገለጻ፣ ከአትክልትና ፍራፍሬ የሚገኘውን ገቢ ለማሳደግ የሚያስችል ስትራቴጂ ተነድፏል፡፡ ከአትክልትና ፍራፍሬ የሚገኘውን የውጭ ምንዛሪ ከእጥፍ በላይ ማሳደግ የሚቻልበት የአየር ንብረት፣ የሰው ኃይል የማልሚያ ቦታዎችና ለምርቱ ዕድገት ጠቃሚ ግብዓቶችን በቀላሉ ማግኘት የሚችል በመሆኑ በቀጣይ ዓመታት ከአትክልትና ፍራፍሬ የሚገኘው ገቢ እንደሚጨምርም ገልጸዋል፡፡

አበባም ሆነ አትክልትና ፍራፍሬን አሁን ከሚያስገኘው የውጭ ምንዛሪ ከእጥፍ በላይ ለማሳደግም ወደ ውጭ የሚላከውን ምርት በአውሮፕላን ብቻ በመላክ እንደማይሆን ጠቁመዋል፡፡

ምርቶቻችንን በአውሮፕላን በመላክ ብቻ ተወዳዳሪ መሆን አንችልም ያሉት አቶ ፀጋዬ፣ የኢትዮጵያ አበባ፣ አትክልትና ፍራፍሬ ምርት በባሕር ትራንስፖርት ጭምር መላክ ይኖርበታል፡፡ አትክልትና ፍራፍሬ በመላክ የሚታወቁ እንደ ሞሮኮ፣ ግብፅ የመሳሰሉ አገሮች በዚህ ተጠቃሚ እየሆኑ መሆኑንም ጠቅሰዋል፡፡ በአበባ አምራችነቷ ከአፍሪካ ቀዳሚ የሆነችው ኬንያ እንኳን በአየር ትራንስፖርት ከምትልከው ምርቷ ያልተናነሰ በመርከብ ትልካለች፡፡

በኢትዮጵያ ውስጥ ግን እንዲህ ዓይነት አገልግሎት ባለመጀመሩ ተወዳዳሪነት ላይ ተጽዕኖ አሳርፏል፡፡ ስለዚህ መንግሥት በጉዳዩ ላይ ትኩረት እንዲሰጥበትም ማሳሰቢያ ተሰጥቷል፡፡

ባሳለፍነው ረቡዕ በተከፈተው ኤግዚቢሽን ላይ ከ24 አገሮች የተውጣጡ 120 የሚሆኑ ኩባንያዎች የተሳተፉ ሲሆን፣ 41 የሚሆኑ በዓለም አቀፍ ደረጃ የሚታወቁ የአትክልትና ፍራፍሬ ገዢዎችም ተሳታፊ ሆነዋል፡፡

ኤግዚቢሽኑን የከፈቱት ጠቅላይ ሚኒስትር መለስ ከሁለት ሰዓታት በላይ ጊዜ ወስደው በንግድ ትርዒቱ ላይ ተሳታፊ የሆኑ ኩባንያዎችን ስታንድ እየተዘዋወሩ ጎብኝተዋል፡፡

ሆርቲካልቸርን በሚመለከት የመንግሥት መረጃ እንደሚያመለክተው፣ በደጋው አካባቢና ለዋና ዋና ከተሞች ቅርብ በሆኑ አካባቢዎች የሚካሄደው የግል ኢንቨስትመንት ትኩረት በውስን መሬት ላይ ሰፊ ጉልበት በመጠቀም ከፍተኛ ዋጋ ያላቸውን የሆርቲካልቸር ምርቶች ማምረት የሚቻል መሆኑን ነው፡፡

ይህ ዓይነቱ የግል ባለሀብት የግብርና ልማት ከፍተኛ የመሠረተ ልማትና ጉልበት አቅርቦት የሚጠይቅ ነው፡፡ የግብርና ልማቱ ከአርሶ አደሩ ግብርና ጋር እየተቀናጀ ሊካሄድ የሚችል በተነፃፃሪ መለስተኛ ካፒታል የሚጠይቅ በመሆኑ የአገር ውስጥ ባለሀብቶች በስፋት ሊሳተፉበት የሚችልና እንዲሳተፉም የሚበረታታበት እንደሆነ ይጠቀሳል፡፡

የሆርቲካልቸር ልማት ግቦች የሚሆኑት የሆርቲካልቸር ምርትና ምርታማነትን በማሳደግ በተፋጠነና ቀጣይነት ባለው መልኩ ልማቱ እንዲስፋፋ ማድረግና በሒደት የኢትዮጵያ ባለሀብት ተሳትፎ የጎላ እንዲሆን ማስቻል መሆኑንም እቅዱ ያሳያል፡፡ ከዚህም ሌላ የጥራት ደረጃቸው የተጠበቀና ዓለም አቀፍ የደህንነት መስፈርቶችን ያሟሉ ተወዳዳሪዎች የሆርቲካልቸር ምርቶች በብዛትና በጥራት እንዲሁም በዓይነት ለውጭ ገበያ እንዲቀርቡ ማመቻቸትና ለሆርቲካልቸር ኢንዱስትሪ ልማት ድጋፍ ሰጪ አገልግሎቶችና ኢንዱስትሪዎች የሚስፋፉበት ሁኔታ ማመቻቸት ይሆናል፡፡

በሆርቲካልቸር ኤክስፖርት ልማት ኢንቨስትመንት በማፍሰስ ዙርያ ሊቀርቡ የሚችሉ የመሬት አቅርቦትን በተመለከተም ልማቱ እንዲስፋፋና እንዲፋጠን በተመረጡ አካባቢዎች የተጀመረውን የእርሻዎች ስብስብን ማጠናከርና አዳዲስ ስብስብን ለመፍጠር የሚያስችል መሬት ተለይቶ በመሬት ባንክ መልክ መያዝ አንዱ መፍትሔ ተደርጎ ተወስዷል፡፡ በአዲስ አበባ ዙርያ የተፈጠረውን የእርሻ ስብስብ የማስፋፋትና የማጠናከር ሥራ እንደተጠበቀ ሆኖ በሌሎች ዋና ዋና ከተሞች ዙርያም እንደአመቺነቱ ተመሳሳይ ስብስቦች እንዲፈጠሩ እርስ በራሳቸው እንዲደጋገፉና እንዲመጋገቡ የማድረግ ሥራ ይሠራል፡፡ ለዘርፉ የሚሆን የሠለጠነ የሰው ኃይል ለማዘጋጀት የሚያስችለውን የሆርቲካልቸር ተግባራዊ ማሰልጠኛ ማዕከላት የተለያዩ ሥነ ምህዳሮችን ሊወክሉ በሚችሉ ቦታዎች የማደራጀት፣ ለሆርቲካልቸር የኤከስፖርት ልማት የሚፈለገውን የኢንቨስትመንት ወጪ ለመቀነስ የሚያስችሉ ሥራዎች ይሠራሉ የሚል እቅድ ተጠቃሾች ናቸው፡፡

በዚህ ለእድገትና ትራንስፎርሜሽን እቅድ መሠረት በቀጣይ አምስት ዓመት በአበባ የሚሸፈን መሬት አሁን ካለበት 1,586 ሔክታር ወደ 3,000 ሔክታር እንዲያድግ ይሆናል፡፡ የአበባ ምርት አሁን ካለበት 2.74 ቢሊዮን ዘንግ ወደ 5.86 ቢሊዮን ዘንግ ያድጋል፡፡ በአትክልት፣ ፍራፍሬና ኸርብስ አሁን ተሸፍኖ ከሚገኘው 2,472 ሔክታር ወደ 33,000 ሔክታር እንዲያድግ ይደረጋል፡፡ በምርት ረገድ አሁን ከሚገኝበት 58,400 ቶን ወደ 979,600 ቶን እንዲያድግ ይደረጋል የሚል ነው፡፡

በአሁኑ ወቅት ኢትዮጵያ ከ90 በላይ በአበባ፣ አትክልትና ፍራፍሬ ልማት ላይ የተሰማሩ ሲሆን፣ ከእነዚህ ውስጥ ከግማሽ በላዩ የውጭ ኩባንያዎች ናቸው፡፡ ከአሥር ዓመት በፊት በዘርፉ የተሰማሩ ኩባንያዎች ከአሥር አይበልጡም ነበር፡፡

abnet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 09:03 PM   #240
abnet

Likes (Received): 605

Ethiopia flowers may takeover kenyan growers.

Quote:
Nairobi Star (Nairobi)
Kenya: Ethiopia Flowers May Wipe Out Local Growers

Winfred Kagwe

4 April 2011

Insufficient tax incentives and high cost of transportation is seeing Kenya's flower industry lose out to Ethiopia as the region's leading exporter of the commodity.

While there have been very few changes for the sector in Kenya, in the neighboring country, tax benefits like income tax holidays for five years and duty free imports have seen aggressive growth in the sector.

A decline of the sector would not only see Kenya lose one of its top foreign exchange earners but could also lead to more than 100,000 employees lose their jobs.

Even though the Kenya Flower Council is downplaying Ethiopia's threat to the industry, it says such incentives would be welcome."Ethiopia is doing very good at the moment, this is not a threat to Kenya but it would serve to market the whole region as the preferred flower producer," says Jane Ngige, the CEO of KFC.

Ethiopia flowers export value has been increasing at a fast rate; in 2009-2010 seasons (2002 according to the Ethiopian calendar year) it was $ 160m (Sh 12.8b). The target is to increase by 15-30 per cent in the 2010-2011 season and to hit over $500 m (40bn) in five years.

The local flower industry made an estimated Sh30 billion in 2010 which was a drop from Sh36 billion in the previous year. Even though the drop was attributed to natural calamities in the European market,the government did nothing to cushion the sector from losses. This year KFC has projected a rise back to Sh36bn."The first quater was favorable, because of Valentines and so far we are on track for the annual target," says Ngige.

Just like the local industry, the main markets for Ethiopian flowers are the Holland, UK and Germany but the northern neighbor is also giving Kenya a run for its money in new markets like Japan, and Russia.

Local players say transportation of the perishable commodity is too expensive eroding the competitive pricing of Kenyan flower. This is in addition to losing out the huge North American market due to lack of direct flights.

In Ethiopia, while air freight capacity was not always sufficient in the past, the problem was solved by the national carrier, Ethiopian Airlines, which now operates more flights at a cheaper cost, in addition to other passenger flights from other airlines.

Due to the better investment climate, some farmers are moving from Kenya to Ethiopia in search of higher returns. "There are many investors who now have farms in both countries, "says Ngige "Ethiopia is coming up very fast."

Copyright © 2011 Nairobi Star. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com).
abnet no está en línea   Reply With Quote