daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 9th, 2006, 08:20 AM   #481
centreoftheuniverse
Not ******

Likes (Received): 5

Yup, it is very real.
Taken very recently to show the base all lit up. Opening is coming soon.
centreoftheuniverse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2006, 10:41 AM   #482
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Likes (Received): 757

OMG!! That building is simply stunning.
Mosaic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 01:30 PM   #483
TowersNYC
Carlos V

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyBoy
Is that pic real? i cant tell.
OF COURSE IT'S REAL !!!!!!!

I Love NY
TowersNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #484
fish

Likes (Received):

Carlos is an exceptional photographer in this forum.
The original poster must be new here.
Old April 9th, 2006, 09:30 PM   #485
TroyBoy

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowersNYC

It looks kinda CG to me, I must be watching too many PS3 videos, watched Saving Privet Ryan and i was trying to figure out what was real and what was CG.
Old April 9th, 2006, 10:38 PM   #486
fish

Likes (Received):

New York is known for exceptional buildings.
You should visit sometime. You will be amazed.
Old April 9th, 2006, 11:31 PM   #487
TowersNYC
Carlos V

OH LORD !!!!!!

I Love NY
Old April 9th, 2006, 11:58 PM   #488
Paulie Walnuts
I ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 20

NY, best city in the world.
Paulie Walnuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 12:00 AM   #489
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:

The idea of keeping the old building while having a new one rise out of it was a marvelous idea.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 12:01 AM   #490
Castle_Bravo
Urban experience...

Likes (Received): 199

WOW this building looks very nice!! I love it!!
Old April 15th, 2006, 01:58 AM   #491
Liwwadden

Likes (Received): 58

looks great !!
Old April 15th, 2006, 02:18 AM   #492
treboy

Likes (Received): 3

Are all the old buildings and structures in NYC going to be rebuilt to be more modern after a little while?
treboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2006, 04:05 AM   #493
fish

Likes (Received):

The Hearst Magazine Tower was planned for a tower when they built it - but back then, they had no need for a tower, so they waited until their business growth required it.
Old April 15th, 2006, 05:21 PM   #494
hella good
Something of a monster

Likes (Received): 2660

i would imagine that some other ny buildings will do something similar. the boa tower under construction encorporates the old facade of a theatre.

the main reason why the original hearst tower didnt get built was due to the wall st crash of '29, they lost all funding... it would have been a very large/tall building if it was built.
CODA Instagram
hella good no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 05:50 AM   #495
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17787

New Tower of Power - Hearst Bigwigs Lay Claim to Their Dream Address
Keith J. Kelly
21 April 2006
New York Post

AFTER three long years, Hearst staffers can finally go home again.

Yesterday, some 2,000 employees were given their long awaited assignments in the new 46-story headquarters, where a striking glass and steel tower designed by Lord Norman Foster has been erected atop the original art deco building that was competed in 1928.

The Hearsties start moving in on May 4 and continue throughout the summer.

The new structure is at the same site as the original Joseph Urban designed headquarters that opened when titan William Randolph Hearst was still running the show.

Nevertheless, the company is switching the official address to 300 W. 57th Street, rather than the former one of 959 Eighth Ave.

(For news on which chief editors and magazines go where, see the accompanying chart.)

There were some staffers, who in the early days, did not want to be on a high floor due to lingering fears in the post 9/11 world.

But since the tower commands some spectacular views of Central Park, much of that seems to have abated. There are two mechanical floors atop the building, followed by swank conference rooms on 44th. The executive suite on 43rd is where Hearst Magazine President Cathie Black will sit.

Cosmopolitan, the most profitable magazine in the empire, has the highest floor for an individual magazine, the 38th. Oprah Winfrey, whose O magazine is the second most profitable in the company behind Cosmo, will be on the 36th.

Joanna Coles, the brand new editor-in-chief of Marie Claire, will be on the 34th floor. Some wonder if the sudden ouster of Leslie Jane Seymour came because the top brass wanted to make the decision before moving her stuff into the new office. (No sense redecorating.)

The company is claiming it will be the greenest skyscraper in New York City and said it expects to get a Gold LEED certification (for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) from the United States Green Building Council.

Among the highlights:

* A 9,000 sq. ft. fitness center. Employees can gain access for only $35 a month, once the company's $600 health club rebate is factored into the formula.

* Ice Fall, an indoor waterfall billed as the world's largest sustainable art sculpture with recycled rainwater captured on the roof and stored in a basement reservoir.

* Joseph Urban Theatre, a 168 seat venue, named after the architect of the original HQ.

* Studio 57, a TV studio will be shared with Hearst Argyle Television and managed by Paul Luthringer.

* Caf 57, a full service cafeteria that insiders say plans to offer sushi five days a week - compared to archrival Cond Nast which only has sushi twice a week in its Frank Gehry-designed employee cafeteria in Times Square.

* The Good Housekeeping Institute and the historic Good Housekeeping Dining Room is being restored in a new site on the 28th floor.

Time team

John Huey, the editor-in-chief of Time Inc. is really serious about wiping out the old corporate structure at the nation's largest magazine empire.

He's replacing it with the equivalent of a swat team - two top editors with the title executive editor of Time Inc. The newly-created positions will be filled by Scott Mowbray and Sheryl Tucker, Media Ink has learned an announcement could be made as early as today.

Mowbray has been the editorial director of the 16 title Time 4 Media Group - basically the old Times Mirror Mags aimed at men - and will maintain responsibility for that but also add the editor-at-large title for Time Inc.

Earlier in his career, he won the first ever general excellence National Magazine Award when he served as editor-in-chief of Popular Science.

Tucker is a former executive editor at Money who was most recently the acting deputy editor at Health.

Martha Nelson, who was already promoted to managing editor of the People Group that includes People, Teen People and People en Espanol, will keep that job but avoid moving to the 34th floor, the typical seat of power.

Instead, she's kept her old office on the People floor, necessitating the construction of a new managing editor's office for Larry Hackett, who is the top editor at the People weekly.

Huey himself will oversee In Style and Real Simple, two women's magazines that in the past had reported to Isolde Motley, the No. 2 editor in the old line-up with the title of corporate editor. She's exiting in June.

Oh, baby

Janice Min, the editor in chief of the usually reliable Us Weekly, is said to be furious with her West Coast bureau, which guessed wrong several weeks ago story on the gender of the Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes baby.

A cover headline had proclaimed that TomKat would produce a baby boy. As the world now knows, this week Cruise/Holmes had a baby girl named Suri. The mag quickly apologized on its Web site this week.

Min told Ink, "Yep, we made a mistake. No excuses. Our reporting was off and it was important to me that we acknowledge it immediately to our readers on our Web site."

Sloan mum

Allan Sloan, Newsweek's economic columnist for the past 11 years, has held discussions about jumping ship to Business Week, several sources tell Ink.

Sloan won't comment. "I don't tell anybody anything ever," he said. "No matter how many forms you ask the question, I'm not going to answer it."

A Newsweek insider, however, says, "I think they are pretty serious."

BW Editor-in-Chief Steve Adler declined to comment.

Former GE chairman Jack Welch and wife Suzy are expanding their input to BW - from every other week to weekly - and getting anchored on the last page, facing the back cover, Adler said.

His & Hearst offices Celebs at Hearst s new 46-story energy-saving tower on 57th Street have staked their claim.Here s a sneak preview: 3rd floor: Super hip Caf 57 15th floor: Popeye (King Features) 17th floor: Atoosa Rubenstein, editrix Seventeen 21st floor: David Granger, editor Esquire 28th floor: Ellen Levine, editrix Good Housekeeping 28th floor: Kate White, editrix Cosmopolitan 36th floor: Amy Gross, editrix O,The Oprah Magazine 43rd floor: Cathie Black, Hearst magazine chief

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 06:10 AM   #496
centreoftheuniverse
Not ******

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
There were some staffers, who in the early days, did not want to be on a high floor due to lingering fears in the post 9/11 world.

No one's going to crash a plane into the Hearst building. There are much more important targets than a bunch of magazine writers.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 08:06 AM   #497
TowersNYC
Carlos V

^ really bad taste comment buddy!

I Love NY
Old April 22nd, 2006, 08:14 AM   #498
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 32

Isn't it just! What a stupid ****wit. Some people just don't think and he thought his comment was uproariously funny. Dork!
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 08:40 AM   #499
centreoftheuniverse
Not ******

Quote:
^ really bad taste comment buddy!
What's so bad about it? All I said was that these people who were afraid was silly to worry about it because no one would attack the Hearst. Hearst is a magazine company, I would highly doubt they would be targeted before banks, train stations, hotels, etc. That's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse
Isn't it just! What a stupid ****wit. Some people just don't think and he thought his comment was uproariously funny. Dork!
You're the stupid ****wit dork. I was laughing at the people who were afraid to work high up, not laughing at my own comment, you dumb fool.You need to learn to read before calling anyone a name.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 08:59 AM   #500
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by centreoftheuniverse
There are much more important targets than a bunch of magazine writers.
This is what the offensive comment was. It reads that "There are much more important targets than a bunch of magazine writers". They are human beings, but they don't seem to matter eh?

I think calling you names isn't anywhere near as important as human life. Banks, train stations & hotels are full of people.
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote