daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old April 19th, 2010, 03:01 PM   #121
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 82

I only went into Camp David once, but I agree that it was a great bar that had a genuine gay/straight mix, with everyone feeling welcome. I didn't realise that it had gone. Pity.
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 19th, 2010, 05:24 PM   #122
shiggy

Likes (Received): 0

can anyone add info on who owns North Bar particularly?
shiggy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #123
gregstone

Likes (Received): 17

North / Camp David were Nice productions run by my old mate Skev - he and I did Ice FM together many years ago. However I think they were tenants rather than the bar owners. It may well be that the Quadrinis own these establishments.
gregstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 11:01 PM   #124
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregstone View Post
. . . Ice FM together many years ago.
Ah, yes, those days!
That was Skev, along with Mark Donnelley. They ran the "Nice" club nights - Mark was Licencee of North Bar - I'll say no more about him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregstone View Post
However I think they were tenants rather than the bar owners. It may well be that the Quadrinis own these establishments.
Tenants, yes. But I thought that North Bar was owned by Aran and Arvan Handa (who have the Station Hotel next door)
DXNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 08:50 PM   #125
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Likes (Received): 28

North bar was defo a Skev endeavour a few years back, may still be! I used to run a student marketing company back in the day and they ran a few ads with us.
toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 03:42 PM   #126
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 446

Dramatic twist in £1m battle to control Newcastle bars
May 1 2010 by Adam Jupp, Evening Chronicle

THE battle to take control of one of Tyneside’s best known bars has taken a series of dramatic twists, as in the early hours of yesterday morning, a delegation of Malhotra's representatives (the new owners of the business) entered the hotel and evicted the existing tenants.

The New Northumbria Hotel, including Osbornes pub and the Louis and Scalinis restaurants, has been at the centre of a £1m tug-of-war between two rival companies.

The property, on Osborne Road, Jesmond, was bought from administration by the wealthy Malhotra family of property developers in a £6m deal.

They immediately launched legal action against the Northumbria Hotel Ltd, who had a 25-year lease to run the hotel, bar and restaurant businesses on a day-to-day basis. The claim was to recover more than £1m of alleged rent arrears and to seek possession of the property, at 61-73 Osborne Road.

And controversial bar mogul Joe Robertson, now living in Monaco, was dragged into the frame after being named in court papers as being involved in negotiations over the alleged debts.

REST OF ARTICLE HERE - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...2703-26357243/
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:24 AM   #127
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamford View Post
I have memories of a pub that was in Eldon Square shopping centre and had an entrance onto Old Eldon Square. It was (roughly speaking) Where Nando's is now.

Anyone remember what it was called?
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
the george and dragon?

Bloke with a carrier bag, going into the George & Dragon from Old Eldon Square, in the 1980s.

Old May 5th, 2010, 05:12 PM   #128
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Old May 5th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #129
Graham56
Antagonist

Likes (Received): 3

My mum lived in The Station Hotel, Wallsend back in the 30's, her dad was the manager there.
Graham56 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #130
kieron79

Likes (Received): 0

drove past The Central pub just off Tyne bridge today and most of the scaffolding was down. Looked VERY impressive!
kieron79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 06:01 PM   #131
NewcastleStu

Likes (Received): 39

Potential (stright) lap dancing bar for the gay village area: http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...2703-26451598/

Wasn't sure of the best thread for this!
NewcastleStu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 01:47 AM   #132
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewcastleStu View Post
Potential (stright) lap dancing bar for the gay village area: http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...2703-26451598/

Wasn't sure of the best thread for this!
I don't know what to think of this. I'm rather relaxed on these subjects, I'm not against them, heck I've been in them myself and can't honestly say that I won't ever go back into one, but I do relise their has to be a limit on these places. The location I myself can't go along with the "this is the gay end of town and shouldn't be allowed" but I can understand how those in the gay community may feel that it may attract the type of crowd that could be intimidating towards the gay community. I don't feel that is the owners intent, epsecially since the owners of this proposed strip club own some gay bars in that area aswell.

So I think we have to ask ourselves if Newcastle needs another strip bar?, if this is a location it is needed?, will it have a negative effect on the surrounding area?, will it be safe to have a strip bar around that area of Newcastle?

All in all I'm glad that I'm not the one deciding the outcome of this application.

Newcastle Metro Area

Last edited by bigchrisfgb; May 22nd, 2010 at 03:00 PM.
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 02:53 PM   #133
newcastlepubs
Pubwatcher

Likes (Received): 238

Seems a very odd location

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
I don't know what to think of this. I'm rather relaxed on these sibjests, I'm not against them, heck I've been in them myself and can't honestly say that I won't ever go back into one, but I do relise their has to be a limit on these places. The location I myself can't go along with the "this is the gay end of town and shouldn't be allowed" but I can understand how those in the gay community may feel that it may attract the type of crowd that could be intimidating towards the gay community. I don't feel that is the owners intent, epsecially since the owners of this proposed strip club own some gay bars in that area aswell.

So I think we have to ask ourselves if Newcastle needs another strip bar?, if this is a location it is needed?, will it have a negative effect on the surrounding area?, will it be safe to have a strip bar around that area of Newcastle?

All in all I'm glad that I'm not the one deciding the outcome of this application.
I ve also sat in a lapdancing bar and thought what's the point of this. I have to say that the one that bothers me is the frighteningly named 'Pussy Galore' which backs onto the Cathedral. It just seems..... inappropriate.

Mind you a straight lapdancing bar in the pink triangle might cause even more confusion to visitors to Newcastle. I have always wanted to see the faces of a stag group staggering out of Jurys Inn and into the closest pubs. Could be... interesting.
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 03:06 PM   #134
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlepubs View Post

I ve also sat in a lapdancing bar and thought what's the point of this. I have to say that the one that bothers me is the frighteningly named 'Pussy Galore' which backs onto the Cathedral. It just seems..... inappropriate.

Mind you a straight lapdancing bar in the pink triangle might cause even more confusion to visitors to Newcastle. I have always wanted to see the faces of a stag group staggering out of Jurys Inn and into the closest pubs. Could be... interesting.
I think you misnunderstand my first point, I was saying that I cannot rule out going to one again in the future, I'm fairly open minded about that sort of stuff though I wouldn't say I was perverted. Like you though i do have my reservation on the location of this propsed one though, I can see the points for and against. As I have already said, this is a one off time when I'm fairly pleased I'm not a member of the planning department at NCC.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 05:08 PM   #135
newcastlepubs
Pubwatcher

Likes (Received): 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
I think you misnunderstand my first point, I was saying that I cannot rule out going to one again in the future, I'm fairly open minded about that sort of stuff though I wouldn't say I was perverted. Like you though i do have my reservation on the location of this propsed one though, I can see the points for and against. As I have already said, this is a one off time when I'm fairly pleased I'm not a member of the planning department at NCC.
I agree, I ve no particular 'moral' objection. I thought [and this was only one visit, and I was relatively sober ] it was a bit pointless. I agree with your reservations, but if 'planning' allows one backing onto the Cathedral then I suspect sensitivity isn t their strong point.

By the way newcastlepubs.net and newcastlepubs.tk have both been tweaked with some revised reviews etc.
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #136
NewcastleStu

Licence granted for the new owners of the New Northumbria Hotel which includes Osbournes and Scalinis: http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...2703-26508837/

I don't think there was ever a real danger they wouldn't get it.
Old May 24th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #137
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewcastleStu View Post
Licence granted for the new owners of the New Northumbria Hotel which includes Osbournes and Scalinis:

I don't think there was ever a real danger they wouldn't get it.
Maybe not, but I would have preferred an open debate during which some of the anomalies which have built up over the years could have been considered and clarified and then included in the terms of the Licence. As it stands, there are still inconsistencies in that premises' permissions.

I was also impressed with the care for the environment and respect for the neighbourhood which the prior management excercised - I hope the incumbents are willing to continue operating in a considerate manner. Some of the other bars in Osborne Road are a bit of a shambles by comparison.

I was also concerned to learn that the City Council's Licensing staff actively discouraged several residents from objecting to the application for a new Licence. They succeeded in preventing those residents from sending in letters. I expected more impartiality from the Licensing Authority.

(BTW Its spelled Osbornes - without the "U" !)
DXNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 07:23 PM   #138
Stamford

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlepubs View Post
I have always wanted to see the faces of a stag group staggering out of Jurys Inn and into the closest pubs. Could be... interesting.
Trust me - It's HILARIOUS to watch. Early on, almost every Friday evening, they come piling out of Jurys, (right below my balcony) and off they go, into either Switch or The Yard. "Flash to Bang" time is normally 2 - 5 mins before they come out again and head across Times Square
Stamford no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 07:38 PM   #139
Stamford

Likes (Received): 40

Sign of the times, but a few more bars seem to have bitten the dust over the last few months, to add to the list of closed ones.

From my recollections, current "empty" and closed bars in the city and immediate surrounds include:

The Egypt Cottage - Quayside (demolished)
Cooperage - Quayside (looks like it's been sold / leased)
Pravda - Quayside (Empty a good few years now)
Bar 38 - Quayside (Empty a good few years now)
Stereo - Quayside (Boarded up and looks like it's days are numbered)
Coco V / Bewick House - Opposite Central Station (closed a good six months or more)
The Globe - Railway Street (looks like it's been sold / leased)
The End - Scottswood Road
Hoko 10 - Dean Street (plastered in adverts for Diamonds and FYEO lapdancing clubs)
The Lane - High Bridge (been boarded up for at least a year)

Anyone add any more, or know anything about the future of any of these bars? I know there's a thread about Stereo and the plans for demolishing that and replacing it.
Stamford no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 08:21 PM   #140
NewcastleStu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamford View Post
Coco V / Bewick House - Opposite Central Station (closed a good six months or more)
I'm surprised about that one. It was always fairly busy when I went in. Didn't go when it was Bewick House mind as that only lasted five minutes.

Hoko 10 was a funny one. I remember going when it first opened and it was quite nice inside, even got some sushi from the in house sushi guy. They must not have got the numbers of people through the door and it seemed to be a race to the bottom of the market from there, drinks promotions, chav tunes, etc. No great loss.

Tags
alcohol, beer, breweries, brewery, ciu, club, clubs, newcastle, newcastle retail, nightclub, nightclubs, off license, off licenses, pub, public house, public houses, pubs, retail, s & n, scottish & newcastle, spirits, wine