daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 18th, 2015, 05:00 PM   #121
geoking66

Likes (Received): 6897

Another Navy Yard proposal:

Quote:
JBG Unveils Designs for Residential Project on Half Street

Another piece of the puzzle that has been Half Street directly north of Nats Park is falling into place, as JBG filed plans last week with the Zoning Commission for a 424ish-unit combination condo/rental project at Half and N Streets, SE, with more than 65,000 square feet of retail on two floors, in a design that most assuredly can't be described as a typical Washington, DC "box."

The Capitol Gateway Zoning Overlay requires buildings just north of the ballpark to "minimize unarticulated walls," and there is no doubt that this design, by ODA Architecture of New York, passes that test, with "extensive modulation" through the use of "balconies [and] extensive landscaping incorporated into the elevations." (This mondo-articulated approach to building design seems to be an ODA hallmark, as you can see from the company's portfolio.)

The condo portion, on the south side of the building at Half and N facing the ballpark, would have approximately 224 1- and 2-bedroom units, while the rental portion on the north end would have 200 units, mostly studio and 1-bedroom units but also with about 10 3-bedroom units. (And the units will have irrigation systems for the balconies, to keep that greenery nice and lush, though I'd still suggest branded watering cans placed strategically as well.)

Link

Sponsored Links
Old December 19th, 2015, 01:05 PM   #122
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Alexandria isn't seeing a big boom? Or is it mostly smaller infill?
Alexandria's going through a NIMBY phase. Our new mayor is completely against any kind of development. It's terrible Basically once the Bill Euille-era developments are done, expect a trickle. Arlington's also going through a weird phase (they scuttled the Columbia Pike Light Rail). Some weird stuff is going on in these two cities. Outside it's more positive though. Lots of developments in Fairfax and Loudoun (particularly the Silver Line).

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2015, 04:31 PM   #123
geoking66

1701 H Street NE

Quote:
180-Unit Residential Project Coming East of the H Street Corridor

Capital City Real Estate submitted a planned unit development (PUD) application for a 180-unit residential development at 1701 H Street NE on Thursday. The new development would sit adjacent to the Hechinger Mall.

Source

geoking66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2015, 05:10 PM   #124
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58031

What are the current regulations for highrises/skyscrapers in Washington?

Is there actually a zone where they'd be allowed? Not saying I'd root for that, it's nice to have a "flat" city in the US for once, only dominated by classical landmarks. I hope it stays like that, a random skyscraper skyline would really spoil the place.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2015, 07:07 PM   #125
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

No, no skyscrapers allowed in Washington, what i recall hearing at some point is that no building can be taller than the street adjacent to it is wide, but I'm not sure the truthiness of that, sounds far-fetched. It will stay like that forever though, even the neighboring counties have jumped in and enacted rather conservative height limits too.

All things considered Boston is also rather short and dominated by landmarks btw, I mean, huge swaths of the city are preserved at their current meager heights.

Also, San Jose and Phoenix are large "flat" cities, but don't know if either of those are brag worthy since it's a result of massive sprawl haha.

royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2015, 08:12 AM   #126
geoking66

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
What are the current regulations for highrises/skyscrapers in Washington?

Is there actually a zone where they'd be allowed? Not saying I'd root for that, it's nice to have a "flat" city in the US for once, only dominated by classical landmarks. I hope it stays like that, a random skyscraper skyline would really spoil the place.
Nope. The District of Columbia has a set height limit of the width of the street plus 20 feet. However, zoning is largely more restrictive outside of Downtown and some inner areas, so the limit is largely never reached. High-rises, which are still pretty rare in the metro area, are largely clustered in Arlington, Tysons Corner and Bethesda in the suburbs, all of which have Metro access.

erbse, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by geoking66; January 11th, 2016 at 03:01 AM.
Old January 11th, 2016, 03:04 AM   #127
geoking66

The Shay
1924 8th Street NW
Use: Mixed-use (245 rental units, 28,000 s.f. retail) | Floors: 6 | Developer: JBG | Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post

Kot Bazilio, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old January 11th, 2016, 10:46 PM   #128
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 2543

I love the infill and the style/volume/mix of how the city is growing.

The height limit is sort of understandable, but I'd ditch the part related to street width. The midrise European-type model works well with buildings much taller (more than 20') than the street is wide. For example a 50-foot ROW can work very well with 120' buildings.

mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 08:20 PM   #129
geoking66

This is a game-changer for Tysons Corner:

Quote:
The latest effort to rid Tysons of its suburban-style, surface parking-dominated office campuses is now full steam ahead.

The Fairfax County Board of Supervisors on Tuesday unanimously approved The Boro, a 4.2 million-square-foot development by the Greensboro Metro station that will feature the region’s largest Whole Foods, a six-story Showplace Icon multiplex, multiple multifamily and office buildings, and a couple of parks. The Meridian Group of Bethesda, owner of the 18-acre former SAIC campus near the intersection of Route 7 and Route 123, has partnered with Kettler to develop the residential buildings.

The overall project will proceed in at least two phases, the first, 1.7 million-square-foot phase breaking ground this summer. The 15-screen theater, with upscale dining and reserved seating, is expected to open in 2018, and the 70,000-square-foot Whole Foods — with a food court, craft-brewing operation and demonstration kitchens — in 2019.

[...]

Formerly known as Solutions Plaza, and then Greensboro Place until its rebranding, The Boro's first phase will include 800 residential units in two buildings, 223,000 square feet of retail, 400,000 square feet of office and a 1-acre park. At buildout, the development will be home to more than 1,500 residential units, 1.8 million square feet of office, 316,000 square feet of retail and 250,000 square feet of hotel space. Two miles to the south, adjacent to the Capital Beltway, Meridian has agreed as part of The Boro rezoning to construct a full-size athletic field.
Full article

Old January 15th, 2016, 07:07 PM   #130
geoking66

A great photo of the Wharf:

Sunrise at the Southwest Waterfront by Joseph Gruber, on Flickr
Old January 15th, 2016, 11:08 PM   #131
Kot Bazilio

Likes (Received): 2594

Nice, any renderers of project?

Kot Bazilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 05:48 AM   #132
Anday

Likes (Received): 1021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kot Bazilio View Post
Nice, any renderers of project?
http://www.wharfdc.com/

Kot Bazilio, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Anday no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 06:55 AM   #133
jchernin

Likes (Received): 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rose1 View Post
Also, San Jose and Phoenix are large "flat" cities, but don't know if either of those are brag worthy since it's a result of massive sprawl haha.
Downtown San Jose has a strict height limit due to its airport being very close, it is not related to sprawl.

jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 02:11 AM   #134
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchernin View Post
Downtown San Jose has a strict height limit due to its airport being very close, it is not related to sprawl.
Maybe the downtown height limit isn't related to sprawl. But San Jose is the only of the top 10 largest cities and probably the only of the top 25 with a lower daytime population than permanent population, showing it is essentially a massive suburb. IE Sprawl heaven

royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2016, 12:07 AM   #135
geoking66

Quote:
Design for Reston’s tallest building tweaked in a major way

The office building planned for Reston Parkway and Bowman Towne Drive, one block north of Reston Town Center, will rise to 23 stories and 330 feet — 125 feet taller than anything around it.

[...]

Akridge partnered with RTC one year ago to advance the 420,000-square-foot trophy class office tower at 1760 Reston Parkway. Not long after, it retained HOK to do “some refinement and enhancement” to the original design from architect Polleo Group, said David Toney, Akridge’s vice president of development.

The most significant change is to the massing, which now incorporates a six-story lobby atrium at the intersection of Reston Parkway and Bowman Towne Drive. The initial design, Toney said, "didn't have a really strong lobby presence," as the parking deck wrapped the building even at its highest profile corner.
Photos and full story here.

Old February 5th, 2016, 12:25 AM   #136
geoking66

Quote:
An updated timeline for the redevelopment of Union Station

The team behind the redevelopment of Union Station provided the community with an updated timeline for the project’s next steps on Wednesday night.

The Burnham Place private-development project, named for Union Station designer Daniel Burnham, will be a component in one of the city’s most massive and complex development undertakings in recent memory. The site is roughly bounded by the Metro tracks, Station Place, and the historic Railway Express Building at 900 2nd Street NE (map) to the east. When completed, the development will be spread over 14 acres and include three million square feet of mixed-use buildings, plazas, and parks, including tens of thousands of square feet of retail, residential, office and hotel units.
Full article here. This is one of the largest urban redevelopment plans in the United States. DC may not have skyscrapers, but it's building more than most cities with one of the largest pipelines to boot.
Old February 11th, 2016, 04:19 AM   #137
geoking66

Quote:
StonebridgeCarras to transform industrial park opposite Potomac Yard

StonebridgeCarras, on behalf of landowner The Blackstone Group, expects to break ground in the summer of 2017 on Oakville, a 1.5 million-square-foot development located on 13 acres bounded by Route 1 to the south, Fannon Street and Mount Jefferson Park to the west and north, and Calvert Street to the east.

The rapidly developing Potomac Yard is across the street. Dedicated bus rapid transit lanes linking the Braddock Road and Crystal City Metro stations are within the adjacent Route 1 median, and the future Potomac Yard Metro station will be located roughly a quarter of a mile away.

The first 1 million-square-foot phase of Oakville, scheduled to deliver by the summer of 2019, will include 132,000 square feet of retail, 130 for-sale condominiums, 400 apartments, a 190-key hotel and a 130,000-square-foot office building. Cooper Carry is the architect and KLNB is leading the retail leasing, the key to the project.
Full article here

Manitopiaaa, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old February 11th, 2016, 05:02 AM   #138
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16998

Has there been any news on when the DC streetcar might open?
Visit the New Jersey Section

Nexis está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2016, 07:05 AM   #139
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Has there been any news on when the DC streetcar might open?
By the end of the month if all goes well

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 09:41 PM   #140
tateyb

Likes (Received): 368

BIG Reveals Design for New NFL Stadium in Washington, DC

Quote:
In a recent interview for CBS News' 60 Minutes, Danish architecture firm Bjarke Ingels Group (BIG) revealed their plan for a new NFL stadium in Washington DC. Though a location has yet to be chosen to replace the current FedExField, the existing facility's location in Landover, Maryland has historically suffered from poor transit accessibility, which has likely contributed to falling attendance in recent years.

Tags
alexandria, arlington, ballston, bethesda, chantilly, chevy chase, crystal city, fairfax, falls church, landover, loudon, montgomery, pentagon city, prince georges, prince william, reston, rockville, rosslyn, silver spring, suitland, tysons corner, washington dc, wheaton