daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Aviation and Airports

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 567 votes, 4.95 average.
Old November 11th, 2010, 08:35 AM   #161
beenakris74
Beena Krishna

Likes (Received): 1

AIE HQ decision deferred

Air India's scheduled meeting for taking final decision for shifting Air India Express's HQ to Kerala, was rescheduled for another date. This was caused due to Air India CMD- Aravind Jhadhav's and a few board directors had to rush for Delhi yesterday considering the chaos created in Delhi T3 due to sudden change of all AI flights to that airport. The minutes of preliminary meeting held by operations and technical officials here yesterday, would be considered for the final board meeting scheduled after the current mess is sorted out in T3.

Lets keep our fingers crossed for their verdict.

BK
beenakris74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 11th, 2010, 12:04 PM   #162
beenakris74
Beena Krishna

Change of name

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaji-thiruvanantha View Post

Hi Beena, if Kochi airport is owned by the Kerala GOV why do they use the old name, Which is not even in the Indian Gov's map. and also the kerala GOV Who changed the name back to Malayalam format back in the 80's are still using the old english way.

Other state changed their names recently have implemented this aswell but this will only happens in Kerala.

shaji
Cochin International Airport Limited, is a registered public company and its not easy to change the brand name as and when the name of locality changes. Perhaps you know well, to change name of company, it involves lot of procedures.

Moreover two additional reasons also prevent a change of name

1. Most of the airports in India have their codes and destination names listed in ICAO, IATA in their old format. For example, IATA still uses the word Bombay instead of Mumbai, Calcutta for Kolkatta, Madras for Chennai in their sources. As most of the other airports are notified with a name change carrying name of a personality, IATA sources cite similarly, but still carries locality name as old. Cochin is a listed name since 1942 in all aviation records and to change the name, it requires lot of procedures

2. Even if, we are ready to take change the name, ICAO will not grant word Kochi for us, because already the word Kochi is used for address an airport in Japan have the same namesake. Unless we take a diplomatic solution with Japan to change name of their airport as Ryoma-Kochi, its not possible for us to get word Kochi.

I hope its clear why its not possible to change the name. Moreover in Kerala, all airports are known in their old names, say Trivandrum International Airport carrying IATA Code (TRV), not TVM (for thiruvananthapuram) as well as Calicut Airport (CCJ), not Kozhikode.
====================================

A clarification, CIAL is not owned by Kerala Government. They are the single largest stake holder. The airport company is responsible for the interests for 15,000 individual stake holders, consortium of companies, various banks and central govt agencies.

BK
Old November 11th, 2010, 04:30 PM   #163
beenakris74
Beena Krishna

Lulu Flight Services all set to start

CIAL's 4th flight catering services agency- Lulu Oberoi Flight Kitchen has reported its completion of works. The facility is awaiting for DGCA Air Worthiness Inspection. The company is expected to start its operations by Mid of first quarter of 2011.

The Lulu-Oberoi Flight Kitchen is a JV between Abu Dhabi based Emke Group operating more than 10 countries under Lulu Brand and one of the India's oldest hospitality chain- Oberoi group.

BK
Old November 11th, 2010, 08:32 PM   #164
beenakris74
Beena Krishna

Duty Free Promotions

Cochin Duty Free, the premier full scale duty free brand in India, launches its first full fledged ad campaign to ensuring maximum footfall during upcoming holiday season, especially among NRKs.

The new TVC of Cochin Duty Free have started on air, with popular Malayalam cine-star Mukesh as brand ambassador. The ad is to ensure maximum word of publicity about Cochin Duty Free. The concept of these ads is to argue Gulf based Malayalees, no need to carry heavy luggage, rather buy almost all international brands at much lower costs.

In addition to TVC, the duty free has tied up with various Malayalam channels to showcase our products in their programs. Apart from Malayalam channels, India's first regular lifestyle channel NDTV Good-times will be featuring an episode inside Cochin Duty free which will be air soon. We are close touch with Discovery's TLC (Travel channel) and BBC Travel to feature the shops, with their review crew making visits to check for content.

Cochin Duty Free, is one of the largest duty free shops in the country, accounts 40% of revenue of the company. The duty free sales accounted a revenue of more than 100 crore last year, making it 3rd largest duty free in the country. The current ad campaign is ensure the revenue crosses our target of Rs 150 crore.

In addition to TVC, CIAL has tied up with Air Arabia to provide in-flight duty free services. Passengers flying in Air Arabia to Cochin can order duty free products inflight at CIAL prices and get products packed from Cochin Duty free, thus saving time. Similarly passengers flying out of Cochin to Sharjah, can buy their products from Cochin Duty Free, without need of carrying with them. Rather the products will be delivered at flight or Air Arabia service counters in Sharjah.

Mega Promotion will be launched in a special function in this Sunday at Arrivals Duty Free.

BK

Last edited by beenakris74; November 11th, 2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old November 11th, 2010, 08:56 PM   #165
beenakris74
Beena Krishna

Duty Free Special programs at Malayalam channels

Hello Forums

I am putting up videos that recently came in popular Malayalam channel Kairali TV, in their beauty program, featuring Cochin Duty Free. The episode showcases various products available at Cochin Duty Free.

BK
Old November 12th, 2010, 09:30 AM   #166
beenakris74
Beena Krishna

Delays expected

Dear forumers

From Nov 22 2010 to December 15 2010, all passengers from CIAL are expected to report atleast 2 hours before departures, considering expected delays due to change of Airport ERP systems and Check in systems. We are extremely sorry, that only limited number check-in counters will be operated on these days. Respective airlines will contact individually to all passengers, regarding reporting time at airport during this period.

We regret for the inconvenience caused

BK

Last edited by beenakris74; November 12th, 2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old November 12th, 2010, 09:50 AM   #167
beenakris74
Beena Krishna

Etihad applies for additional flights to Kochi

UAE's national carrier, Etihad has submitted application to DGCA for addition of new routes and increase frequency to 3 destinations for the upcoming summer season.

As per information available to us, Etihad has submitted to increase its frequency to 12 for Hyderabad, 10 for Kochi and 14 for New New Delhi.

Currently Etihad flies 7 days to Kochi. As other UAE carriers, Emirates and Air Arabia flies twice that of Etihad (14 times) Etihad plans to increase its frequency to Kochi.

BK
Old November 12th, 2010, 03:30 PM   #168
beenakris74
Beena Krishna

Cochin Airport IT Integration

After observing the level of IT integration at Bangalore Airport which generating multi-fold cost advantage to airport operator and all airlines operating, an active digitalization drive program has been proposed for CIAL.

The aim of the digitalization drive is ensure providing world class services not only to passengers, but also ensuring cost effective advantage to flights operating to Kochi. CIAL management board has decided invest Rs 79 crore this year for aiming to modernize the system, apart from recently adopted SITA Airport solutions. CIAL has partnered to install SITA's all-in-one Airport Management Systerm (AMS), one of the powerful Airport ERP solutons adopted in many advanced airports like KLIA (KUL), Singapore, Amsterdam etc.

Another modernization plan is to convert current analogue based communication network of Airport to full encrypted digital transmission, using TETRA technology. Currently only Bangalore and Hyderabad have moved such a facility. CIAL has signed with global TETRA Solutions leader Sepura and its Indian arm- VSpectra Communication, for entire communication modernization. VSpectra will responsible for the supply of all the TETRA components comprising the Rohde and Schwarz TETRA infrastructure and Sepura radio terminals — these will operate on the 380-430 MHz frequency band. The Indian branch of Siemens Information Systems was the turnkey contractor and integrator for the supply, installation and commissioning of the TETRA network.

Siemens-India has been appointed as turnkey solutions coordinator for all modernization programs.

BK
Old November 13th, 2010, 10:23 AM   #169
mohammedirshad06
Registered Kochinite. MI

Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenakris74 View Post
After observing the level of IT integration at Bangalore Airport which generating multi-fold cost advantage to airport operator and all airlines operating, an active digitalization drive program has been proposed for CIAL.

The aim of the digitalization drive is ensure providing world class services not only to passengers, but also ensuring cost effective advantage to flights operating to Kochi. CIAL management board has decided invest Rs 79 crore this year for aiming to modernize the system, apart from recently adopted SITA Airport solutions. CIAL has partnered to install SITA's all-in-one Airport Management Systerm (AMS), one of the powerful Airport ERP solutons adopted in many advanced airports like KLIA (KUL), Singapore, Amsterdam etc.

Another modernization plan is to convert current analogue based communication network of Airport to full encrypted digital transmission, using TETRA technology. Currently only Bangalore and Hyderabad have moved such a facility. CIAL has signed with global TETRA Solutions leader Sepura and its Indian arm- VSpectra Communication, for entire communication modernization. VSpectra will responsible for the supply of all the TETRA components comprising the Rohde and Schwarz TETRA infrastructure and Sepura radio terminals — these will operate on the 380-430 MHz frequency band. The Indian branch of Siemens Information Systems was the turnkey contractor and integrator for the supply, installation and commissioning of the TETRA network.

Siemens-India has been appointed as turnkey solutions coordinator for all modernization programs.

BK
Nice Updates Good to see an Airport official here. I am new to posting here, but have been following this for sometime

I have a few queries

1. I have just read this article http://www.prokerala.com/news/articles/a180553.html

Is CIAL lobbying hard for AIE HQ in Kochi? If so, why?

2. Can AIE HQ in Cochin, improve its reliability, performance?

3. What advantages CIAL has over Trivandrum Airport and vice-versa?

4. I have hearing two new airports coming in Kerala, in near to my place in Guruvayur and another in Thiruvalla. Do you feel any threat to CIAL?

5. 2 years back we had Jazeera Airways from Kuwait to Cochin, which stopped its service? Will it be resuming and why did such a good flight stopped its services?

Please answer my queries and continue your wonderful updates. I am eager to follow more from here

Voice your protest for decommissioning
MULLAPERIYAR DAM
DAMAGED
mohammedirshad06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2010, 12:05 PM   #170
beenakris74
Beena Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammedirshad06 View Post
Nice Updates Good to see an Airport official here. I am new to posting here, but have been following this for sometime

I have a few queries

1. I have just read this article http://www.prokerala.com/news/articles/a180553.html

Is CIAL lobbying hard for AIE HQ in Kochi? If so, why?

4. I have hearing two new airports coming in Kerala, in near to my place in Guruvayur and another in Thiruvalla. Do you feel any threat to CIAL?

5. 2 years back we had Jazeera Airways from Kuwait to Cochin, which stopped its service? Will it be resuming and why did such a good flight stopped its services?

Please answer my queries and continue your wonderful updates. I am eager to follow more from here
My god, so many questions at a single shot? You should have break it into one or two questions at a time, rather firing all at one instance. Thanks for your compliments. I will answer in installments.

Q1. Is CIAL lobbying hard for AIE HQ in Kochi? If so, why?

I feel, the word lobbying has some negative preposition attached to it. Every marketing effort is actually lobbying. In a marketing effort, one party gains and other loses. Those who gain attribute to their marketing strategy and others may attribute as a lobby. Thats a natural everywhere.

CIAL has intensively marketed before Air India, as a right choice of investment, by highlighting our strengths. Its not because we feel, once AIE comes to Cochin, it makes a sea of difference. We have done similar marketing efforts in with many airlines and still continuing with many airlines to have its base in Kochi. Some are verge of striking gold.

See, in AIE's case, its just an HQ change, which is not attached to an airport, rather to a city. AIE HQ will not be changed to CIAL or Trivandrum Airport, rather to respective city. So we are not lobbying for seeing AIE at Cochin, but just trying to sell our office spaces to them and showcasing our advantages which every developer has to do. If they are impressed, they can invest or else go. I personally cannot comment what AIE decides.

BK
Old November 13th, 2010, 12:11 PM   #171
beenakris74
Beena Krishna

2nd question

See a change of HQ doesn't bring in any change in any organization. Its not air or environment, that influences managerial styles, rather quality of leadership, strategic thinking and effective organizational strength, that determine performance.

Air India Express is a govt organization, hence it has its own inherited flaws, which can be changed if a good management comes at top with strategic thinking and business decisions based on ground realities. A change to Cochin or Trivandrum or even to New York for that matter, will not make any difference, unless there is some qualitative managerial change.

I hope their new management is better equipped with good leadership and if they tie-up with CIAL, we can share our expertise and provide world-class infrastructure and technology support in bring better services. Only time can answer your query.

BK
Old November 13th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #172
beenakris74
Beena Krishna

3rd question

Every city in Kerala, having an airport has almost equal number of advantages and disadvantages. CIAL has definitely a set of advantages over Trivandrum and Kozhikode, whereas latter two has some set of advantages over CIAL. Its upto the investing organization to check which fits to their bracket. If you ask me Cochin Airport's advantages over TVM or Kozhikode in specific to AIE, there are so many, as we have already done a SWOT analysis and presented before AIE CEO last week. But since I cannot speak for TVM or Kozhikode, I feel it may give just one side picture. So I hope as an organization, AIE might have seen all versions and let them decide, be it political or business.

We are not desperate for AIE having CIAL has HQ, because as long as they do not have a hub & spoke method, hence will not make any difference in number of flights movements, which is a direct interest to us. Currently even Mumbai as HQ, they have CIAL has its primary hub with more than 45 AIE flight movements daily. This won't change even if they have HQ somewhere else. Mumbai is AI's HQ, but now more than Bombay, Delhi is benefiting from AI's decision to make T3 as its hub. So having HQ in a city is not an ultimate matter. We hope AIE will continue CIAL has its primary base.

BK

Last edited by beenakris74; November 13th, 2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old November 13th, 2010, 12:50 PM   #173
beenakris74
Beena Krishna

4th Question

4. I have heard two new airports coming in Kerala, in near to my place in Guruvayur and another in Thiruvalla. Do you feel any threat to CIAL?

Guruvayur is just under feasibility study of AAI and it may take atleast 2 or 3 years for realization of a plan itself. Moreover, as per our understanding, its planned to be more as a heliport or small airport (like Tirupati model) suitable for small aircrafts landing. This means, CIAL will be hub for flights and choppers bound to Guruvayur, which is not a threat, but additional business for us.

There is no proposal for Thiruvalla airport, perhaps your might be referring to Aranmula airport. Yes, its a threat, but as a competitive player, we believe competition is better to sharpen one's skills and create niche areas and develop new scope of business activities. I feel, Aranmula airport is planned to be a domestic, rather than International. Even if they start International services, still it is okay, as we welcome competition.

BK
Old November 13th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #174
beenakris74
Beena Krishna

Final Question

Jazeera Airways stopped because it lost its freedom of rights over Dubai. Dubai airport, as to promote its low-cost airlines, FLYDUBAI has winded up Jazeera's operations from Dubai. You might know, Kuwait is not a major aviation hub and no airline considers Kuwait-India sector as luracative as other gulf states routes. Thats why even Jet Airways stopped its Kochi-Kuwait service, considering reduced profitablity in comparison to other gulf sectors. Now a days, many gulf states have cut down freedom of rights to other carriers, considering reduction in their carriers's profit. Recent example of Bahrain denying Condor Airlines to fly from Frankfurt via Bahrain to Kochi itself is a testimony of change in policy among gulf states.

Still I hope, Jazeera will soon resume its services to Kochi, as their licence is active till June 2011. We have been in touch with them last year and we are hopeful that Jazeera will find a suitable profitable route.

Hope I have answered to your satisfaction. Kindly do not seek too many queries at a time, as its difficult to type so long as well as may not be interesting to read.

BK
Old November 13th, 2010, 01:41 PM   #175
banuthev
~ Sri Lanka ~

Likes (Received): 8

According to airsrilanka.org, SriLankan to resume Kochi (COK) flights from 1st February 2011. Daily flights with A320.

Colombo – Kochi
UL165 CMB 0725 – 0835 COK 1245 320
UL167 CMB 1420 – 1530 COK 367 320

Kochi – Colombo
UL166 COK 0925 – 1025 CMB 1245 320
UL168 COK 1620 – 1730 CMB 367 320
banuthev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #176
arunpr

Likes (Received): 1810

Kochi, Nov 13 (IANS) Kerala's Kochi airport, the fourth largest airport that handles international passengers in India, Saturday announced that its profit touched Rs.77 crore in fiscal 2009-10 and it will invest Rs.118 crore in expansion plans.

Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan, who is also the chairman of Cochin International Airport Limited (CIAL), said at the annual general body meeting of the CIAL here that the dividend to the shareholders has also gone up from 10 percent to 12 percent.

'We are working out major expansion plans. We will begin discussions with all major airlines operating from here to set up a permanent base in Kochi. We are expecting more chartered flights and also setting up a helicopter hub,' Achuthanandan said.

The profits of CIAL have been steadily growing. The figure was Rs.47.12 crore in 2007-08 and Rs.59 crore in 2008-09. Likewise, the dividends also rose consistently from eight to 10 percent respectively.

The paid up capital of CIAL is Rs.300 crore.

CIAL - the first airport outside the ambit of the Airports Authority of India - was formed as a public limited company with equity participation from the Kerala government, financial institutions and a large number of NRIs, a majority of which are Keralites based in the Middle East.

Among the other major projects that CIAL has in the pipeline are a theatre complex, a shopping mall, state-of-the-art hotel, besides a 60-bedded hospital.

'A new railway station will be constructed near the airport. We will also request that the proposed Metro Rail is extended till the airport,' Achuthanandan said.

http://sify.com/finance/kochi-airpor...nnEkdjbeh.html
arunpr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2010, 07:17 PM   #177
beenakris74
Beena Krishna

Huge plans, buoyed with massive increase in profits

Ladies and Gentlemen

On behalf of CIAL board of directors, I have the pleasure of reporting profits for 2009-2010. Cochin International Airport Ltd (CIAL), has registered a Rs 211 crore turnover during the 2009-10 fiscal, registering 23 per cent growth, as compared to the previous year, Kerala Chief Minister V S Achutanandan said.

CIAL's net profit touched Rs 77 crore from Rs 59 crore during 2008-09. The company also announced a 12 per cent dividend.

There were plans to increase revenue from aviation and non-avaiation sectors, he said.

CIAL would set up a premium 5 star Airport hotel, 60 bed super specialty hospital, shopping mall, a performing center with multiplex facility, and more duty free shops at the airport complex with a cost of Rs 118-crore investment. The International trade fair and exhibition centre (ITFEC) would be ready by next year, would give a huge boast for conducting large scale fairs, trade exhibitions and meetings.

CIAL is in talks with few leading Indian and international airlines to add new sectors as well as start Kochi as its base along with plans to attract more chartered aircrafts and private jet companies, he said.

A new railway station will be constructed near the airport. We will also request that the proposed Kochi Metro Rail to be extended till the airport," Achuthanandan said

BK
Old November 13th, 2010, 07:18 PM   #178
beenakris74
Beena Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunpr View Post
Kochi, Nov 13 (IANS) Kerala's Kochi airport, the fourth largest airport that handles international passengers in India, Saturday announced that its profit touched Rs.77 crore in fiscal 2009-10 and it will invest Rs.118 crore in expansion plans.

Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan, who is also the chairman of Cochin International Airport Limited (CIAL), said at the annual general body meeting of the CIAL here that the dividend to the shareholders has also gone up from 10 percent to 12 percent.

'We are working out major expansion plans. We will begin discussions with all major airlines operating from here to set up a permanent base in Kochi. We are expecting more chartered flights and also setting up a helicopter hub,' Achuthanandan said.

The profits of CIAL have been steadily growing. The figure was Rs.47.12 crore in 2007-08 and Rs.59 crore in 2008-09. Likewise, the dividends also rose consistently from eight to 10 percent respectively.

The paid up capital of CIAL is Rs.300 crore.

CIAL - the first airport outside the ambit of the Airports Authority of India - was formed as a public limited company with equity participation from the Kerala government, financial institutions and a large number of NRIs, a majority of which are Keralites based in the Middle East.

Among the other major projects that CIAL has in the pipeline are a theatre complex, a shopping mall, state-of-the-art hotel, besides a 60-bedded hospital.

'A new railway station will be constructed near the airport. We will also request that the proposed Metro Rail is extended till the airport,' Achuthanandan said.

http://sify.com/finance/kochi-airpor...nnEkdjbeh.html

Ohh, I didn't see your mail. Sorry for reposting.

BK
Old November 13th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #179
mohammedirshad06
Registered Kochinite. MI

Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
Kindly do not seek too many queries at a time, as its difficult to type so long as well as may not be interesting to read.

BK
Sorry Madam,

Actually I never expected a reply from you. Sorry for troubling. I will take care not trouble you.

Quote:
CIAL has definitely a set of advantages over Trivandrum and Kozhikode, whereas latter two has some set of advantages over CIAL. I
Madam, I asked about this question specifically, as two my roommates from South Kerala, was telling for past few days, that AIE must be based in Trivandrum, because of new terminal and hangar. I wished to know, whether AIE will take such a decision?

Quote:
We are not desperate for AIE having CIAL has HQ, because as long as they do not have a hub & spoke method, hence will not make any difference in number of flights movements, which is a direct interest to us.
BK
Ennikku Manasillayilla. hub & spoke means entha? How it will help CIAL?

Thanks for your information. Appol ente randu hopes poyi. No airport in Guruvayur and no service of Jazeera.

Voice your protest for decommissioning
MULLAPERIYAR DAM
DAMAGED
mohammedirshad06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 09:01 AM   #180
ajithv
BANNED

Likes (Received): 328

Quote:
Let me say, it was one of the pleasant AGM meeting we had, with most of shareholders expressing happiness and pleasure without much instances of complaining. It serves our aim for providing right value proposition to our stakeholders.

BK
Now see this report from "The Hindu"
Quote:
Nedumbassery: The 16th annual general meeting (AGM) of Cochin International Airport Limited (CIAL) witnessed a heated row over the inclusion of minority shareholders in the company director board. This led to a boycott of the proceedings by a section of minority shareholders. The Shareholders Organisation of CIAL, an association of minority shareholders, fielded its candidates to two of the vacant slots on the director board. The candidates, organisation general secretary Devassikutty Padayattil and vice-president Thomas Abraham, had already filed the nominations in this regard. According to organisation office-bearers, they had boycott the election after turning down the company management's offer to conduct the election post-lunch. “We resorted to a boycott as our attempts to protect the rights of the minority shareholders was ridiculed as a returning officer was not named or related formalities carried out,” Mr. Padayattil said. A circular issued by the association, distributed among shareholders, called upon all to ‘stop corruption in the issue of shares' requested all stakeholders to ‘protect the rights of the minority shareholders under the Company's Act.'The other major issues raised during the session included a demand to settle the lawsuit filed by Housing And Urban Development Corporation Ltd. (HUDCO), against CIAL. This would enable the listing of shares and the reintroduction of user-development fee, association office-bearers said.

Mediapersons were asked to leave the hall immediately after the chairman's address stating that the ensuing session was purely a ‘private affair.' In February last, a section of CIAL's minority shareholders had adopted a resolution seeking a Central Bureau of Investigation inquiry into the award of contracts and the recruitments made at the airport company. It also termed AGMs as stage-managed events and accused the company authorities of denying them the opportunity to raise questions during such events.
Now several doubts arises towards the two different reports.One made by the "CIAL authorized PR" and the other one by "The Hindu"..Whom to believe??
If the reporter of "The Hindu" was reporting the news from the spot;then from where the PR is posting all the "authorized reports" regarding CIAL??

For an argument,"All these mentioned in the "The Hindu" report happened when the "so-called" PR left for a "tea break"; remembering an old political drama happened in Kerala..

Last edited by ajithv; November 14th, 2010 at 09:13 AM.
ajithv no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
airport, cochin, kochi

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: