daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 11th, 2013, 11:00 PM   #401
edubejar

Likes (Received): 30

Not sure if this video has already been shared here, but it tries to show us what Paris (may) have looked like during Medieval Times. I'm not sure it's showing us what it looked like just before Paris' Haussmannization--perhaps even earlier than that, maybe around the 1400 or 1500s.

I can only find it dubbed in Russian(?) but if anyone finds it in English or French, please let us know!

charpentier, william of waco, Pod° liked this post

Last edited by edubejar; July 11th, 2013 at 11:08 PM.
edubejar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2013, 01:39 PM   #402
william of waco

Likes (Received): 258

william of waco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 01:41 PM   #403
william of waco

Likes (Received): 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubejar View Post
Not sure if this video has already been shared here, but it tries to show us what Paris (may) have looked like during Medieval Times. I'm not sure it's showing us what it looked like just before Paris' Haussmannization--perhaps even earlier than that, maybe around the 1400 or 1500s.
Great find! They really did a wonderful job here. It definitely shows what Paris may have looked like from the late medieval/renaissance period. Most of the old facades you see here had already been stripped of their decoration by the time of Hausmann, leaving only the shells.
william of waco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #404
Raffo

Likes (Received): 1818

What a wonderful thread this is! The put a sense in everything I saw in Paris.

Thanks for all the work.
Old September 12th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #405
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5285

this is one of my favourite threads. It's good that Paris has preserved some enclaves of its ancient history, all that Haussmann did wasn't good, it seems that Paris was even more charming prior to Haussmann, but of course the overcrowding would have required some thinning out inevitably.

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 10:31 PM   #406
marvelfannumber1

Likes (Received): 26

I can live with most of the changes Haussmann did honestly. I feel his remodelling helped Paris become more acessable in the modern era. However I can't defend his butchering of the Ile' de la cite . As others have said, the Ile' de la cite is now a empty, dead space filled with tourists.

Notre Dame also looks quite small and far less impressive now considering the massive square in front of it (this goes against the medieval mindset that a cathedral should rise out of the city).

– Mark Hampton
marvelfannumber1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 07:54 AM   #407
photolitherland

Likes (Received): 956

It sucks that so much of old Paris has been destroyed but what if it hadn't? The only reason Paris wasn't bombed to shit like other European cities was because it was spared due to its beauty thanks to the 1800s urban renewal. Other historic cities in Europe like Dresden, Warsaw, etc etc etc were all wiped off the face of the Earth and now hardly any of their pre war selves other than reconstructions exist. That would have probably happened to Paris.
photolitherland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 03:40 PM   #408
edxor

Likes (Received): 321

The main reason Dresden was bombed was because of it's beauty and cultural significance in Germany. It was known as 'Elb-Florence' being the biggest baroque town north of the alps. Paris wasn't close to any of the fronts in WWII and bombing Paris would have been just as usefull for the allies during WWII as bombing Copenhagen in a strategic sense - both being occupied by the Germans but inhabited by French and Danish civilians.

Edit: My point being; Paris would most likely not have been bombed even if Haussman hadn't ravaged the city.
edxor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 03:45 PM   #409
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10735

^ Hitler's order was to destroy Paris in case of retreat, but the order was not followed by the on-site commander. Or is that just an urban myth?

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

===

In Praise Of Dirty, Sexy / Boring Cities

parcdesprinces liked this post
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 04:27 PM   #410
Nijal

Likes (Received): 1248

That's true. A lot of explosives were placed on all the bridges, the monuments, etc... But finally thanks to the ultimate negociation of the Swedish ambassador, Paris was not destroyed. It's a good thing, because otherwise it would have made impossible the Franco-German reconciliation, at the basis of the European political construction.
Nijal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 10:48 PM   #411
photolitherland

Likes (Received): 956

Hitler ordered Paris be destroyed but a German commander Dietrich von Choltitz disobeyed him as he didnt want to be remembered as the man who destroyed Paris.
photolitherland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 12:08 AM   #412
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5285

that's absolutely correct. I have read this in lots of literature and recently in a book by Alexandra Richie "Warsaw 1944 Hitler Himmler and the Warsaw Uprising". and she had extensive original sources in her bibliography.

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 09:29 AM   #413
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9686

Your discussion lacks/needs an anthem (or two) IMHO:

parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 10:01 AM   #414
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57863

Alright, loads of great resources in this thread! I'd love to see more historical documentation on the actual topic.

Btw, are you guys and gals aware there's this Wikipedia article?
Haussmann's renovation of Paris

Perhaps some of you could extend it a little (or create side-articles) with profound knowledge and real sources, you don't need to register.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

hugodiekonig liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 03:01 PM   #415
Brunarino

Likes (Received): 1952

I also think a role played for the save of Paris was that of art
thou a madman Hitler had a thing for art and architecture, I don't think he would have really razed the city to the ground
Old July 17th, 2014, 11:35 PM   #416
skyscraperus
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2267

After all, today, Paris has biggest medieval heritage of any european city (Château de Vincennes, Palais de la Cité, Tour Jean-sans-Peur, Hôtel de Sens, Hôtel de Cluny, Hôtel de Clisson, Hôtel Hérouet, Collège des Bernardins, Église Saint-Germain-des-Prés, Église Saint-Julien-le-Pauvre, Prieuré Saint-Martin-des-Champs, Sainte-Chapelle du Palais, Basilique Saint-Denis, Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris, Sainte-Chapelle de Vincennes, Église Saint-Séverin, Tour Saint-Jacques, Église Saint-Merri, Église Saint-Nicolas-des-Champs, Église Saint-Gervais-Saint-Protais, Église Saint-Étienne-du-Mont, Église Saint-Eustache, Église Saint-Germain de Charonne, Église Saint-Médard, Église Saint-Germain-l'Auxerrois, Église Saint-Laurent, hundred of buildings in Latin Quarter and Marrais have medieval walls and more and more hidden buildings).

Last edited by skyscraperus; July 17th, 2014 at 11:51 PM.
skyscraperus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 12:05 AM   #417
cilindr0

Likes (Received): 725

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperus View Post
After all, today, Paris has biggest medieval heritage of any european city (Château de Vincennes, Palais de la Cité, Tour Jean-sans-Peur, Hôtel de Sens, Hôtel de Cluny, Hôtel de Clisson, Hôtel Hérouet, Collège des Bernardins, Église Saint-Germain-des-Prés, Église Saint-Julien-le-Pauvre, Prieuré Saint-Martin-des-Champs, Sainte-Chapelle du Palais, Basilique Saint-Denis, Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris, Sainte-Chapelle de Vincennes, Église Saint-Séverin, Tour Saint-Jacques, Église Saint-Merri, Église Saint-Nicolas-des-Champs, Église Saint-Gervais-Saint-Protais, Église Saint-Étienne-du-Mont, Église Saint-Eustache, Église Saint-Germain de Charonne, Église Saint-Médard, Église Saint-Germain-l'Auxerrois, Église Saint-Laurent, hundred of buildings in Latin Quarter and Marrais have medieval walls and more and more hidden buildings).
skyscraperus you are not a big traveler right?

Have you been in Prague?

And this is only one example, but there are hundrets of cities in Europe with more medieval heritage than Paris...
Old July 18th, 2014, 12:23 AM   #418
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10735

Maybe he meant "capitals". There's still Rome to own any other capital in terms of ancient heritage, but after that I think Paris fares quite high, maybe second on the list. If you put all those medieval monuments together, they would take up a very large area, a small city in itself. Prague has a lot of (great) baroque architecture (as visible in the pic), which is a newer style.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

===

In Praise Of Dirty, Sexy / Boring Cities

skyscraperus, parcdesprinces liked this post
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 10:37 AM   #419
skyscraperus
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cilindr0 View Post
skyscraperus you are not a big traveler right?

Have you been in Prague?

And this is only one example, but there are hundrets of cities in Europe with more medieval heritage than Paris...
I have been in Prague number of times. Teel me about medieval buildings in Prague. Prague has only medieval appearance. Few medieval building and much more renaissance and baroque.

Prague is full of neo-medievalism like this.

Old July 18th, 2014, 11:02 AM   #420
skyscraperus
BANNED

01. Château de Vincennes with wall, six towers and three gates, and Donjon tower 52 meters high the tallest medieval fortified structure of Europe, and Sainte-Chapelle de Vincennes.

02. Palais de la Cité with 4 medieval towers, largest medieval hall and Sainte-Chapelle du Palais.
image hosted on flickr

03. Tour Jean-sans-Peur

04. Église Saint-Germain-des-Prés

05. Église Saint-Julien-le-Pauvre

06. Prieuré Saint-Martin-des-Champs

07. Basilique Saint-Denis

08. Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris

09. Église Saint-Séverin

10. Tour Saint-Jacques (Église Saint-Jacques-de-la-Boucherie)

11. Église Saint-Merri

12. Église Saint-Nicolas-des-Champs

12. Église Saint-Gervais-Saint-Protais

13. Église Saint-Étienne-du-Mont

14. Église Saint-Eustache

15. Église Saint-Germain de Charonne

16. Église Saint-Médard

17. Église Saint-Germain-l'Auxerrois

18. Église Saint-Laurent

19. Tour Clovis

20. Hôtel de Sens

21. Hôtel de Cluny

22. Hôtel de Clisson

23. Collège des Bernardins

24. Couvent des Cordeliers

25. Hôtel Hérouet

and more...

Largest western medieval city left medieval traces on every corner, and many of them are still hidden front modern 17, 18, 19 century facade.

Last edited by skyscraperus; July 18th, 2014 at 02:17 PM.

Tags
classic architecture, paris