daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 13th, 2010, 04:14 PM   #1
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Likes (Received): 88

✈ | VA/VS/VX | Virgin Airlines Group

Virgin Atlantic confirms order for 10 Airbus A330s
11 January 2010

Britain-based Virgin Atlantic Airways finalized a contract Dec. 30 to buy six Airbus A330-300 long-range aircraft and lease four more from AerCap, Airbus announced Monday. Airbus initially disclosed the deal in June.

Virgin's A330-300s will seat up to 270 in Upper Class, Premium Economy and Economy, and will be the launch aircraft for revolutionary onboard cabin innovations in every class, Airbus said. Virgin Atlantic now operates six A340-300 and 19 A340-600 aircraft, and has ordered six A380s.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/aerospace/archives/190699.asp

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
GlasgowMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #2
Halawala
Fairouzy

Likes (Received): 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasgowMan View Post
Virgin Atlantic confirms order for 10 Airbus A330s
11 January 2010

Britain-based Virgin Atlantic Airways finalized a contract Dec. 30 to buy six Airbus A330-300 long-range aircraft and lease four more from AerCap, Airbus announced Monday. Airbus initially disclosed the deal in June.

Virgin's A330-300s will seat up to 270 in Upper Class, Premium Economy and Economy, and will be the launch aircraft for revolutionary onboard cabin innovations in every class, Airbus said. Virgin Atlantic now operates six A340-300 and 19 A340-600 aircraft, and has ordered six A380s.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/aerospace/archives/190699.asp
That is great news really! When I read it in A.net I was so surprised, as VS tends to be an A340 carrier. Clearly the A333 is great in its class--even better in lower CASM than the 787s. Good Job!
Old January 14th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #3
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4966

2 engines 4 longhaul
Old January 14th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #4
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
2 engines 4 longhaul
That died the second VS ordered the 787.

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
Old January 15th, 2010, 11:32 AM   #5
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Quote:
That died the second VS ordered the 787.
This is why I hate Branson.
Old January 15th, 2010, 04:35 PM   #6
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Quote:
This is why I hate Branson.
Because he ordered the 787?

Old January 15th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #7
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 4732

Quote:
And Virgin canceled it's A340-600 orders. A340 seems definitly out-dated.
A l'aube du cinquième jour, regardez vers l'est
eomer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 08:25 PM   #8
Brum X
Brum X

Likes (Received): 5116

Hopefully with the order of the A330, this will bring Virgin Atlantic into more regional airports such as Birmingham which already has a number of airlines operating this aircraft and which are very successfull such as Emirates and PIA. So come on Virgin, dont do a BA and become London dominated, come to the regions.
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 08:42 PM   #9
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brum X View Post
Hopefully with the order of the A330, this will bring Virgin Atlantic into more regional airports such as Birmingham which already has a number of airlines operating this aircraft and which are very successfull such as Emirates and PIA. So come on Virgin, dont do a BA and become London dominated, come to the regions.
With only 10 on order, its a relatively small order. I believe the plan is to base 7 or 8 in London, with new destinations being served which the 747 is too big for; such as Nassau, Vancouver and Calgary while one or two will be based in Glasgow and Manchester to increase frequencies on flights to Orlando while possibly adding new flights from GLA/MAN to Barbados and Las Vegas.

I cant see Virgin Atlantic adding any more UK airports in the near to medium future.

Old January 16th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #10
Brum X
Brum X

Likes (Received): 5116

Its not totally out of the question though, Virgin Atlantic were considering BHX a few years ago, only to find that the runway was too short for most of its long haul flights. Orlando would be fine from BHX with the 747, similar to the runway length at GLA, however it cannot access the west of the USA or the far east without stopping.
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #11
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Quote:
Because he ordered the 787?
No, because he lied about 4 enignes being 'safer' and using fear to get customers. But as soon as he bought twins, somehow they became just as safe. He's a scum in my eyes.
Old January 17th, 2010, 05:37 PM   #12
Halawala
Fairouzy

Quote:
No, because he lied about 4 enignes being 'safer' and using fear to get customers. But as soon as he bought twins, somehow they became just as safe. He's a scum in my eyes.
He never said that! Stop making things up!

The motto was "4 engines 4 long haul" promoting its four-enginened aircraft for long distances. Where does it mention saftey in the issue?
Old January 17th, 2010, 06:05 PM   #13
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halawala View Post
He never said that! Stop making things up!

The motto was "4 engines 4 long haul" promoting its four-enginened aircraft for long distances. Where does it mention saftey in the issue?
Halawala said exactly what I would have...

Old January 17th, 2010, 08:32 PM   #14
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Are you serious? Why do you think he promoted 4 engines 4 longhaul? That's because people feel safer in a 4-engined plane.
Old January 17th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #15
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

And oh, I'm not making anything up. Please look into the history of this campaign before commenting further and saying that I'm making stuff up. I think this issue first rose around 2002 (03?). If I've got time, I'll dig it up for you two.
Old January 17th, 2010, 09:38 PM   #16
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Quote:
Are you serious? Why do you think he promoted 4 engines 4 longhaul? That's because people feel safer in a 4-engined plane.
If that's how people feel, that's how they feel. Its nothing to do with SRB. He never once said twin-engined aircraft were unsafe for long haul. He would probably get into allot of trouble if he did make such a statement.

Old January 17th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #17
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Quote:
And oh, I'm not making anything up. Please look into the history of this campaign before commenting further and saying that I'm making stuff up. I think this issue first rose around 2002 (03?). If I've got time, I'll dig it up for you two.
Show us where he said "4 engined aircraft are safer than 2 engined aircraft".

Old January 17th, 2010, 10:38 PM   #18
staid_leming

Likes (Received): 0

surely its a case of implying with out saying - another clever Virgin advertisement and slogan
staid_leming no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 10:54 PM   #19
Halawala
Fairouzy

Virgin Atlantic have operated both A320s and A321s in the past, so clearly Branson doesnt have a problem with 2 engines.

Airbus A320 5 1995–2004 Operated for Virgin Sun and Mainline G-OUZO.
Airbus A321 3 2000–2003 Operated for Virgin Sun and Mainline G-VATH.
Old January 18th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #20
globetrekker

Likes (Received): 0

Where are they going to fly these A330's to? Have they said or even suggested what routes they'll use them on? Will this open up any new routes for Virgin?
globetrekker no está en línea   Reply With Quote