daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 17th, 2010, 03:55 PM   #1
Puinkabouter
killed Laura Palmer

Likes (Received): 2299

GHENT | KBC Arteveldetoren | 119m | 24 fl | Com

(For images, scroll down) On an open space, enclosed by a road junction (E40 motorway & N43 road), at the outskirts of Ghent, a 119m tall office building is soon to be erected. This project is part of a larger plan to turn the grounds of the former airfield of the city into a mix of a CBD and large scale retail development, which will be developed at the rate of the local property market and aims to be finished by 2030.

[IMG]http://i44.************/2r2n5go.jpg[/IMG]

Facts:
  • Sponsor: nv. Stasimo
  • Architect: Jaspers-Eyers & Partners, Brussels
  • Construction: 2010-2012
  • Completion: may 2012
  • Floors: 24 + 3
  • Total Height: 119 metres
  • Total Surface: 20.800 m²
  • Purpose: office
  • Varia:
    • A fire station will be integrated at the foot of the tower
    • Upon completion, it will become the tallest office building in the federal region of Flanders

Film:

Detailed timing:
  • The rough shell of the building is due to be finished by april 2011
  • The granite facades will be installed from the beginning of 2011 until august of that year
  • The interior finish will start in the beginning of 2011 and is due to be completed by the end of the same year. After that starts a 4,5 month period for furnishing, painting, etc. of the interior
  • The complete finish of the building is scheduled for april 2012, when the building will be transferred from the contractor to KBC Bank, the end user.

Relevant Threads on other Forums:

Most Recent Updates:

Last edited by Puinkabouter; June 15th, 2011 at 01:37 PM.
Puinkabouter está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #2
pimvdh

Likes (Received): 1

I the modern design. They have to build more highrises in ghent

youtube poop
^^Want to laugh your brains out?
pimvdh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 12:37 AM   #3
Dequal
Architect

Likes (Received): 503

I like it. Looking forward to ground breaking and the construction.
Old January 18th, 2010, 12:50 AM   #4
Mike____
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Likes (Received): 1038

I love it! can't wait when it's finished...

Mike____ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 01:33 AM   #5
Luis87

Likes (Received): 241

Good tower. Not to big but has a good design.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=708946 - Monte Gordo Beach, Algarve - Portugal
Luis87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 01:48 AM   #6
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequal View Post
I like it. Looking forward to ground breaking and the construction.
So that means it's not under construction yet. I'm going to change the title and move the thread until it's really under construction.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #7
Puinkabouter
killed Laura Palmer

Construction has begun, although at this time it's not all too fascinating to watch yet. A couple of bulldozers and other machines have arrived on the site and work has started to either level the terrain or to dig out a big hole.

Update 20-02-2010:

An overview.

There are still a couple of remnants of the villas that used to stand here. On one piece of rubble that still stands, a notice is hanging out:

"Building Permit - Announcement:

<blablabla> has been given a building permit for a tower with offices for private administration, a base that houses general services and parking space, an access road underneath the E40 motorway exit, landscaping and a fire station"

So I paid a visit to the building grounds to see what's been going on the last couple of days. There were no workers present at the site, but that's because it was late on a saturday afternoon. But it's obvious a couple of excavators (and one bulldozer) have arrived on the site, and they've already done some digging.

Click on the picture for a larger version

Panorama.

Looks like they've taken precautions in case the excavation buckets wear out quickly

Looks like a drill to me.

Don't really know what that is ^_^

Anyway, powertools galore on this site since recently. Construction has actually started, although it won't be too interesting to watch in the first months to come, I suppose

Last edited by Puinkabouter; February 21st, 2010 at 05:11 PM. Reason: a missing link!
Old March 9th, 2010, 12:46 PM   #8
Puinkabouter
killed Laura Palmer

One week ago today, there was a small event for the official first stone of this tower. This is a short item from a local TV station. Obviously, the comments and interviews are in Dutch, but it contains a couple of nice dynamic renderings:

With thanks to ForTheLoveOfHouse for recording the fragment and Dequal for putting it on Youtube!

A short summary of what's been told in this fragment:
  • The building was designed according to a 'green' concept: ao. not all-glass, in order to keep the energy inside.
  • It will be the tallest office building in the region, probably tall enough to see the nearest other major Belgian city (ie. Bruges) from the deck on the roof. Or at least, that's what they're hoping for...
  • Unlike other Belgian cities, that currently have an oversupply in office space (exceeding 10%), Ghent has close to no vacancies on the office property market. Therefor, this project is a big relief for the local authorities.
  • Other strategic plans for office space are still in the pipeline. Most notably a large-scale development close to the nearby main railway station (see topic (Be.forum - Dutch)).

And one last remark: the latest news has it that this tower will be a mere 119m tall. Setting it back two places in the ranking for tallest building in the region, after the Cathedral of Our Lady in Antwerp (123m) and the Church of Our Lady in Bruges (122m).

For now we consider this to be the official height, although we slightly suspect that it has something to do with the choice of the Zero Level. It ought to be measured from street level, but I suspect the developer mentions the height from the top of the inclined plane that will be built in front of the building. We're still looking for clear technical drawings to give us closure on this
Old May 8th, 2010, 10:08 PM   #9
Puinkabouter
killed Laura Palmer

Saturday 08-05-2010:

Overview.

The terrain has turned into a modest construction pit.

Apparently the dirt is kept on the site, for now.

We'll be seeing a tower growing here in the following months. The cranes aren't a good indicator for the tower's height yet...

... because they're fitted with a climbing system.

One of the cranes can be seen above the trees at the nearby tram station. Soon this area, the former airfield, will turn into a more urban setting.

This is what it looks like from a departing tram. The left-most crane belongs to another construction project - low-rise condos.

Last edited by Puinkabouter; May 8th, 2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old May 10th, 2010, 07:53 AM   #10
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Cool. This is officially U/C!
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #11
Benonie
Bike It!

Likes (Received): 19122

Great! Looking forward ro further progress.
Thanks for the updates Puinkabouter!
Benonie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 12:51 PM   #12
Arrrgh
Gouda's Glorie

Likes (Received): 1108

@Puinkabouter: I really like your style of photography
Arrrgh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #13
Puinkabouter
killed Laura Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benonie View Post
Great! Looking forward ro further progress.
Thanks for the updates Puinkabouter!
You're welcome. I will post all updates that I make in this thread as well as the thread in the Belgian section. I hope I will be able to do this on a monthly basis. Let it be known though, that there are more frequent photo-updates made by other members of this forum. Anyone who's curious for more regular updates can subscribe to the original thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrrgh View Post
@Puinkabouter: I really like your style of photography
Thank you

If you like to see more, I have a flickr photo page, and I upload all my photo updates for this forum to this page on Majhost.
Old May 10th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #14
Arrrgh
Gouda's Glorie

Likes (Received): 1108

Great photos! I added you as a contact
Arrrgh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 09:52 PM   #15
Puinkabouter
killed Laura Palmer

I reciprocated

A new update - sunday 30-05-2010, when the construction site was open to the public:

Click the image for a larger version

An overview of the entire construction site.

It's one big pit at the moment - hardly visible in the last update. It's certainly not a small thing. At the center of this pit we can see a few columns.

These columns seem to stand in the corners of what seems to become a square base. I wonder if that will be the place above which the actual tower will be built.

A part of the bottom of the pit is already covered with a concrete slab.

Seeing all this reinforcement steel, I suppose that slab will still be growing to much larger proportions in the weeks to come.

We descend to level -1, where the parking garage is being built.

On the way to the site's hotspot, we pass underneath the tallest crane, which I estimate is at the half of the height it will eventually need to have.

With some people in the picture you can get a clearer image of the size of these (prefabricated) columns.

The wharf is extending in the direction of the local Ikea store as well.

A prefabricated column awaits its installation, while not so far behing it a big pile of dirt is still waiting to be removed from the site and behind it a machine is still working on drilling foundation poles into the soil.

Another overview of the site.

This will be a funny view in the future: all but one of the small houses within the motorway exit have been bought up and demolished to make place for this highrise and its green plaza. This one still remains, and will soon be totally dwarfed by its new neighbour. Quite stupid, really...

I will add more details I learned about the timing to the opening post in a moment.
Old June 1st, 2010, 11:02 PM   #16
stefano1895

Likes (Received): 9

i like the desing

200 años de libertad

ITALIA

EL PAIS MAS HERMOSO DE EUROPA xD
stefano1895 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 05:42 PM   #17
Hoogfriesland

Likes (Received): 1204

Nice tower! Is it near the highway in the direction of Calais?
Hoogfriesland está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 12:38 AM   #18
Puinkabouter
killed Laura Palmer

Yep, it's right next to the E40 motorway (Calais-Brussels-Aachen), which is visible on pictures 1, 6, 8 and 11. It's actually enclosed by an exit of that motorway onto one of the main roads into the city - as you can see in the opening post of this thread
Old July 23rd, 2010, 02:36 PM   #19
Puinkabouter
killed Laura Palmer

Update from yesterday, thursday 22-07-2010:

As usual, we start the update with a view from the emergency exit of the Ikea store.

When we try to take a closer look, we can see a part of the construction site luring behind the trees. It should become a lot more visible somewhere in the next couple of months, of course.

Part of the site is still a big pit.

Moonscape...

At the opposite side of the site, there's a mock-up of the future facade of this building.

The first concrete beams have been put into place that will become the green slope to the main entrance.

On the way to the far end of the site, I encountered these red steel things sticking out above the rest. Maybe they indicate the place where the tower core will appear, but I'm not sure.

That's the closest to the mock-up I could get. Of course, the renderings and the eventuel reality show some differences. The material - this we already knew at our local forum - isn't perfectly white, but it's a light gray granite. It still looked quite bright in the shadow so I'm pretty sure it will look almost white when the sun hits the building.

There will also be lines in the facade which weren't shown in the renderings either, unless they have some kind of material in store to seal the gaps off.

The tower will be rented out to the Belgian bank KBC. They will dethrone their competitors Dexia along this road by spring of 2012

The MG Tower site is at the edge of the former airfield of Ghent, which is now the location of "Flanders Expo", one of the biggest exhibition halls in Belgium. When you leave the those halls through their main exit, the new tower will be quite undeniable.

The terrain between this place and the Ikea store will also be built up by 2013, with a bunch of outlet stores and probably also a movie theatre and two smaller office towers.

The view from the underpass underneath the "Pégoudlaan" (Pégoud Ave.), the main traffic axis of the site that used to be the landing strip of the airfield.

The masterplan for the former airfield zone foresees a series of midrises and smaller highrises along this avenue in the future (by 2025-2030). A part of this road will also be built over.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 11:36 PM   #20
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28201

This will become a nice landmark.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote