daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 27th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #181
medicu' de garda
Moderator de garda

Likes (Received): 1368

The contract is only for structure works for the stations and the tunnels. No electrical equipment, no elevators/escalators, no finishing of the stations, no equipment for the depot, no trains. Probably that's why it seams so cheap. I don't know if the traintracks are included in this stage of the project .

What did you compare our project with, and what numbers did you get? I am curious, as it is an old saying that projects in Romania are always more expensive and of poorer quality than in the west.

Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2013, 08:24 PM   #182
witeku

Likes (Received): 0

Well, actually I didn't compare the costs. But there is disccusion in Warsaw - one ecological organization claims that II line of Warsaw Metro is the second most expensive in Europe.

You can find the chart here: http://www.zm.org.pl/?a=metro-134-najdrozsze_w_ue

But now I see that there are a lot of mistakes and the information is incomparable. For Bucharest Line 5 they took the cost of 267 million euro, whereas, as you explained, it's not the whole cost (only construction works). In Warsaw the cost includes everything: project, construction works, equipment for tunnels, station finishing and tests.
witeku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 01:00 AM   #183
medicu' de garda
Moderator de garda

This month has proven to be a major milestone in the history of the Bucharest metro system, with three major events happening.

Firstly, the first TBM on the M5 project has been brought into position and is ready to begin digging the first tunnel since the 1989 Revolution . The machine is expected to start advancing on the 25th. The progress on the stations is very good, aswell, the structures as a whole, are already past the 50% point. Works are going on at a very good pace, thanks to recent news of convincing the EU to help finance the project.

Secondly, works have started on the 2 station extension of the M4 towards Straulesti, in the NW of the city. The pace seems to be incredibly good, machines are already ready to start digging the perimeter of the stations for the cast outer walls. The project should be finished in around 2 years, including finishing the stations and mounting the tracks. EU financing is also assured for this project.

Last but not least, the first of he new CAF trainsets, destined for M2, has arrived in Bucharest, ready to be assembled. In total, there will be 16 trainsets. Estimated date for the first one to begin service should be January 2014.

These are the pics of the first unit, before shipping. They look splendid, and match very well to the existing fleet of trains made by Bombardier, which already are an icon for Bucharest.

Photos are curtesy of forum.metrouusor.com, which does an amazing job of documenting infrastructure works in Bucharest, especially the subway projects.

Last edited by medicu' de garda; September 23rd, 2013 at 01:04 AM.
medicu' de garda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 12:53 AM   #184
Andrej_LJ

Likes (Received): 5204

Any news on Lot 2 of line M5? It was planed to be tendered this year.
Andrej_LJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 12:59 AM   #185
medicu' de garda
Moderator de garda

There are rumours that the tender will be organized in the next 2 months. It would most probably cover the entire stretch from Eroilor to Pantelimon, not just the central lot, because it would be easier to insert the TBMs that way. Still, nothing is certain at the moment.

Also by then, the tender for the finishing works for the current stretch of M5 + tracks + electrical equipment should be underway.

We would only need a tender for some new trains destined for the M5, and it's completion will finally be secured in the next few years (2016 probably, maybe 2017) .

Cadîr liked this post
Old September 23rd, 2013, 01:38 AM   #186
Andrej_LJ

Likes (Received): 5204

Thanks a lot! Sounds good!

Another question if I may. Are there any realistic plans to extend M4 towards the center of the city? This will be very good especially after line M6 is finished since all the transfers from M4 and M6 on other lines will be on Gara de Nord.
Andrej_LJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 10:51 AM   #187
medicu' de garda
Moderator de garda

It is definitely in the plans, is should run towards the south of the city, via Berzei, Izvor/Hasdeu (link with M5 +- M1/M3), the Parliament, Panduri, Chirigiu (link with future M7), sos Viilor, Eroii Revolutiei (link with M2) and into the Giurgiului neighbourhood, which stretches southward. Sadly, it will be executed at a much later time, like you said, probably after M6 is started (and finished ). Much too late, in my opinion, since M2 is already very congested, and the opening of the M5 will put aditional pressure on it. It should have had a competing N-S line a lot sooner. Oh well...

The last thing we heard about the southern extension of M4 was a tender being prepared for the fesability study, but that was during the previous Metrorex management. Nothing has been mentioned since the political change. We really need that study too finally decide whether it will link with the M5 at Hasdeu or Izvor. Hasdeu is the easy choice, on the natural course of the M4 southbound, but it will miss the link with M1+M3. Izvor ensured a easy interchange, but implies a big detour. I hope this study will finally be made and shed some light on th problem, cause obviously, the stations on the M5 have to be designed to ensure the interchange.

Last edited by medicu' de garda; September 23rd, 2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 02:37 PM   #188
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicu' de garda View Post
It is definitely in the plans, is should run towards the south of the city, via Berzei, Izvor/Hasdeu (link with M5 +- M1/M3), the Parliament, Panduri, Chirigiu (link with future M7), sos Viilor, Eroii Revolutiei (link with M2)
Bucharest Metro has itīs secrets and I remember as if Eroii Revolutiei is designed for at least a branch-line to Gara Progresul. So does this station has a further platform for future line 4?. Personally I think M5 is important, but maybe it was a mistake not to build M4 at least to Izvor first.

Kind regards
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 03:00 PM   #189
medicu' de garda
Moderator de garda

No, there is no other platform at Eroii Revolutiei other than the ones used by M2. They didn't plan ahead that well. Though there might be some spaces in the tunnels left for connecting the future line. The one that was designed to link with another metro was Crangasi station (with the future M8) but they got that one wrong, the extra platform is on the merging direction, rather that the diverging one . The communist engineers did a pretty poor job of thinking ahead when building, which was obvious when the eastern stretch of M3 was in contruction, and the M1 was diverted for years. The whole thing ended up backwards because of that (trains run like in London for 3 stations).

I dissagree with the idea that M4 should have been first. The major problem in Bucharest is that not enough neighbourhoods are served by the subway. The centre is linked relatively well. And Drumul Taberei is a huge area, with a few hundreds of comunist blocks of flats. The choice was obvious. And the rest of it will do a great job of serving Pantelimon, another big comunist neighbourhood and creating the first E-W shortcut through the center, which we seriously lack.

I do believe, however, that M4 should have been next in line, instead of the M6 all the way to the airport (Baneasa Airport should be more than enough for the medium term). And it is very dissapointing to see that it is barely mentioned lately, it doesn't have a clear course. Even the M7 has had more publicity last year, with a vague intention of putting it up for tendering by a concessioner.
Old September 25th, 2013, 11:24 PM   #190
medicu' de garda
Moderator de garda

BIG DAY TODAY!
The first TBM started drilling the tunnel toward DrumulTaberei neighbourhood from Academie station . The first tunnel ring has been set in place this evening. The first half a meter out of almost 6km. The next TBM will begin drilling the second tunnel after the first one has reached the first station on it's route, Orizont.

You can see the historic moment in the article in the link. Sadly, it's only in Romanian, but maybe Google Translate can make it inteligible.

LINK by Hotnews.ro

LE: actually, there's a better filming of the actual TBM, thanks to Marian Andrei and metrouusor.com, that closely monitors the entire project. You can find tons of pictures on that site

Last edited by medicu' de garda; September 25th, 2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old October 20th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #191
metroricerche

Likes (Received): 1572

Hi! I am writing from Italy.

I am searching for printed items about Bucarest metro: book, leaflet, brochure.

Anyone could help me? (Please contact me with a private message)

Thank you.

AGGIORNAMENTO CANTIERI METRO 4, DICEMBRE 2017: http://www.metroricerche.it/blog/201...dicembre-2018/
PETIZIONE PRO COLLEGAMENTO M3-M4: https://www.change.org/p/assessore-a...edium=copyLink
metroricerche no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 05:48 PM   #192
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12053

TBM tunneling works: first 245 m of tunnel dug and walled-in:

M5 route:

Source
Castles and Mansions in Romania

Robi_damian, geometarkv liked this post
Le Clerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2013, 04:02 PM   #193
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12053

TBM enters Orizont station (M5)

Castles and Mansions in Romania

Robi_damian liked this post
Le Clerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2013, 11:30 PM   #194
medicu' de garda
Moderator de garda

That was the first tunnel section ever dug since the 1989 revolution . Major milestone achieved today. For the next 2 weeks, Varvara, the first TBM that just breached the Orizont station walls will be busy moving itself through the station, the it will start digging the next tunnel section towards Favorit. The second TBM, Filofteia, is scheduled to start digging at the end of this month. Works are advancing nicely on the M5 project .

So, one tunnel section down, there still are 17 to go, of which 4 are in the opposite direction from Academia Militara, towards Eroilor station.

Robi_damian liked this post
Old November 9th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #195
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 9996

Quote:
That was the first tunnel section ever dug since the 1989 revolution . Major milestone achieved today. For the next 2 weeks, Varvara, the first TBM that just breached the Orizont station walls will be busy moving itself through the station, the it will start digging the next tunnel section towards Favorit. The second TBM, Filofteia, is scheduled to start digging at the end of this month. Works are advancing nicely on the M5 project .

So, one tunnel section down, there still are 17 to go, of which 4 are in the opposite direction from Academia Militara, towards Eroilor station.
Amazing news! But Varvara and Filofteia, seriously? I think even Iran has less religious names for its TBM's.
Robi_damian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2013, 09:27 PM   #196
medicu' de garda
Moderator de garda

There was supposed to be a Paraschiva as well for digging towards Eroilor (), but it seems they just skipped the third TBM and will manage with the first two after they finish digging towards the end of the neighbourhood. Works on Eroilor station haven't even started anyway, so there's no rush to get there.

LE: the names were choses by popular vote on some forums dedicated to the subject. I think Poland would envy us for our choice of names

Robi_damian, Le Clerk liked this post
Old November 23rd, 2013, 02:19 AM   #197
Fahrenheit 10

More pics with brand new trains made by CAF and destined for M2. Source:http://www.caf.es/

Old December 10th, 2013, 09:29 PM   #198
medicu' de garda
Moderator de garda

The first 2 new CAF trains are on their way to Bucharest .

The latest rumours are that the new trains will be destined to run on the M2, while the older Bombardier first-series trains will be moved to the M1+M3, to replace to old rolling stock still running there; the only line with the original communist IVA trains will be the M4 for the next few years.

Also, the tender for finishing and electrical equipment on the M5 Eroilor-Raul Doamnei/Valea Ialomitei, as well as the tender for new rolling stock are almost ready to be launched, most likely early next year.

Japanac liked this post
Old December 11th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #199
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
No, there is no other platform at Eroii Revolutiei other than the ones used by M2. They didn't plan ahead that well. Though there might be some spaces in the tunnels left for connecting the future line. The one that was designed to link with another metro was Crangasi station (with the future M8) but they got that one wrong, the extra platform is on the merging direction, rather that the diverging one .
Reading this again I have to assume that this is the basic solution of merging tracks in Germany and probably elsewhere. If I understand correctly there are two tracks (planned) coming into Crangasi station from the West and only one track is going out to be diverted afterwards in western direction. If trains are not accurate you can already enter the station from one branch instead of waiting in front of the point somewhere in the tunnel to pass by the other train. Best solution would be a 4-track-station of cause. For safety resons itīs also better to merge tracks after the station. If something gets wrong you donīt get a crash during full speed running of train. This 3-track solution is the basic layout for Munichs Implerstraße-sation e. g..

I remember that at least Obor-station has preparations for a lower level, donīt know if there is station-shell. You can see this looking at the pylons between tracks in the middle of the station.

Kind regards
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 10:55 PM   #200
medicu' de garda
Moderator de garda

Where do you get your info? I am curious . From what I see everyday, Crangasi isn't really designed for the future, that third line in question is just a spur to the right off the line comming from the south-east. In the eventuality of a new line comming from the south-west (the M8), that line couldn't possibly be used because it is so close to the existing one, there is no space for an underpassing line that can then climb up to the current level. You can't move the existing line to the right either, because that would imply extensive reconstruction of the station, and it wouldn't be worth it. Besides these tracks, although they would run in the same direction, towards Basarab, use DIFFERENT platforms, which makes the design ridiculous. Passengers would have a hard time choosing which train to take and would waste time running up and down stairs. Very very poor design, it's hard to say what they were thinking in those times, when plans were changed literally overnight ...

Quote:
I remember that at least Obor-station has preparations for a lower level, donīt know if there is station-shell. You can see this looking at the pylons between tracks in the middle of the station.
Where did you get this information? I have never heard such an idea. The planned M7 station at Obor would be offset to the north, and simply linked with a pedestrian tunnel. When looking at this station, do remember it was originally an underground tram station, in the middle of a car underpass, that was later converted for subway use.

LE: I found some rough schematics for Crangasi station, so you can understand what I mean. This is the layout:

You can find more info looking at THIS page (don't bother translating the discussion, it's unrelated).

Japanac liked this post

Last edited by medicu' de garda; December 12th, 2013 at 11:11 PM.

Tags
bucharest, bucuresti, europe, metro, subway