daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 22nd, 2016, 02:25 PM   #261
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12025

The project for the Gara de Nord - Otopeni railway and train station has been published. The aim is to ensure an alternative for the DN1 and A3 airport connection, and also until the M6 metro line is completed after 2020.

The new line will serve connections from Bucharest, but also from S Romania and N Bulgaria.

More here.
Castles and Mansions in Romania

dimlys1994, Zaz965 liked this post
Le Clerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 22nd, 2016, 04:48 PM   #262
aubergine72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
The new line will serve connections from Bucharest, but also from S Romania and N Bulgaria.
You mean the 3-hour train ride from Ruse?
aubergine72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2016, 05:16 PM   #263
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

The train from Giurgiu to Gara de Nord is 1.5 h. I do not know how long it takes from Ruse. But currently Ruse is served mostly by Otopeni, so it's normal to consider that route as well.
Old December 22nd, 2016, 07:40 PM   #264
aubergine72

Quote:
The train from Giurgiu to Gara de Nord is 1.5 h.
That's still quite bad.
aubergine72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2016, 07:58 PM   #265
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5737

Quote:

M6 station names feature famous world capitals such as Washington and Brussels. But these names do not align with local street or neighborhood names. Is that typical for the Bucharest metro?
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2016, 08:42 PM   #266
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubergine72 View Post
That's still quite bad.
Not for everyone. But true that road is mostly used nowadays. But who knows, maybe the train route will be upgraded, together with the route to the airport and the planned upgrade of the rail ring of Bucharest, which is meant to be part of the regional transportation. Gurgiu should be 'sucked into' the Bucharest metro.

Last edited by Le Clerk; December 22nd, 2016 at 09:02 PM.
Old December 22nd, 2016, 08:43 PM   #267
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
M6 station names feature famous world capitals such as Washington and Brussels. But these names do not align with local street or neighborhood names. Is that typical for the Bucharest metro?
It's actually an exception, only for M6. The other lines reflect local neighbourhoods and streets.

M6 will be the connection between the city and its main airport so it'll be the 'international' line of Bucharest.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 05:20 PM   #268
Ghostpoet

Likes (Received): 34

http://www.think-railways.com/buchar...-new-tramways/

Quote:
Bucharest City Council has approved the plan for the acquisition of 100 new low-floor tramways over a four years period, starting with next year. Financing will be provided by the municipality. The acquisition is part of the project for the renewal of Bucharest transport operator (RATB) rolling stock fleet, which includes 287 operational tramways. The tender will be organised in lots and will include:
  • 90 trams, 36 m – long, with minimum 5 double doors
  • 10 bidirectional 27 m-long trams, minimum 4 doors on both sides.
According to Gabriela Firea, Bucharest Mayor, investments will also be directed towards the modernisation of URAC, RATB subsidiary tramway repair plant, which currently lack technical capacities. Its production capacity is 10 units/year. URAC is the designer and producer of Bucur low-floor tramway, equipped with air conditioning system, passenger counting system and, on demand, an audio and video information system. The price of Bucur LF tramway can reach EUR 900,000/unit.
URAC has also partnered Astra Vagoane Calatori for the production of Imperio tramways, designed by Siemens.
Ghostpoet

Le Clerk, dimlys1994 liked this post
Ghostpoet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2016, 02:35 PM   #269
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

As mentioned above, the Bucharest RER planning is complete and will be phased in starting next year.

First section will connect main trainstation (Gara de Nord) with south Bucharest, starting next year:

Second stage is connnection between Gara de Nord and the main airport, and the main cities north of Bucharest, and nearby metro stations>

Third stage and last one is the implementation of eastern side of the ring, after 2018.

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old December 28th, 2016, 02:46 PM   #270
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Bucharest CoolTOUR project, an invitation to graffiti artists.

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old March 31st, 2017, 08:30 PM   #271
Alpin
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1948

Bucharest subway operator inaugurates two metro stations today

Quote:
Bucharest’s subway operator Metrorex inaugurated two subway stations on Friday, March 31, namely the Straulesti and Laminorului stations on line 4.

The Emergency Situations Unit (ISU) gave its approval to open the circulation after carrying out controls at the new stations this week.

The segment Parc Bazilescu – Lac Straulesti, which is the last phase of Metro line 4, has a total length of 2.1 kilometers. The project’s total value is EUR 252.4 million.

The new metro stations will be Laminorului and Straulesti, part of the metro line connecting the Bucharest railway station Gara de Nord to the Straulesti lake area in Northern Bucharest.

More photos HERE.

arctic_carlos liked this post

Last edited by Alpin; March 31st, 2017 at 09:07 PM.
Alpin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2017, 09:00 PM   #272
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Hello,

next week I will visit Bucharest. My main goal is to visit the Champions League handball game CSM - FTC, but I'd like to try your public transport network, too.
I tried to get informed about tickets, but I'm not sure whether I understand it correctly. If I want to ride the metro, trams, several times between 12PM Friday - 12PM Saturday, and addtionally take the bus from Otopeni Airport to the city and from the city to the airport, do I need some electronic ticket, don't I? And I can buy it in the airport, correct? Do I need to check that card any time I enter a metro station or a tram?
Are there any special stations and/or vehicles a public transport enthusiast shall visit?
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2017, 09:34 PM   #273
Alpin
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Hello,

next week I will visit Bucharest. My main goal is to visit the Champions League handball game CSM - FTC, but I'd like to try your public transport network, too.
I tried to get informed about tickets, but I'm not sure whether I understand it correctly. If I want to ride the metro, trams, several times between 12PM Friday - 12PM Saturday, and addtionally take the bus from Otopeni Airport to the city and from the city to the airport, do I need some electronic ticket, don't I? And I can buy it in the airport, correct? Do I need to check that card any time I enter a metro station or a tram?
Are there any special stations and/or vehicles a public transport enthusiast shall visit?
The RATB (trams, trolleys and busses) and METROREX (metro) are separate entities and right now you can't buy tickets that are valid for both (they are working on such a project right now, and I think this was possible in the past, for a while, as well).

So for RATB you will need to buy the Activ card (4.7 Lei just the card) and add as much money on it as you need. Otopeni Airport - Downtown I think it's 3.5 Lei one-way, within the city it's like 1.5 Lei/trip.

For the Metro you could buy either a 2-trip fare (5 Lei) or a 10-trip fare (20 Lei). I think there's also a one day pass which is cheaper than the 10-trip fare, but I'm not sure how that works (whether it's for 24 h or for that day only).
Old March 31st, 2017, 09:42 PM   #274
Alpin
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
Actually, the Washington station will be located very close to the American Embassy, while the Paris Station will be right next to the Lycée Français Anna de Noailles. Tokio Station has to do with the fact that the project is partly financed by a 315 M Eur Japanese loan (and there's like nothing in that area, other than a huge ass shopping mall. And Bruxelles is our capital (station will be located next to the Bucharest Ring Road, which is being upgraded w. EU money, so that could be a reason ). And then, just as Le Clerk has said, it's the line leading to the airport, so it's like a theme.

Last edited by Alpin; March 31st, 2017 at 09:51 PM.
Old March 31st, 2017, 10:10 PM   #275
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpin View Post
The RATB (trams, trolleys and busses) and METROREX (metro) are separate entities ...
OK, thank you!
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2017, 10:38 PM   #276
Alpin
BANNED

And one more video of today's M4 stations inauguration

@Attus Regarding your second question, I would say Basarab Overpass is worth checking out, there's a tram station (Line 1) on the cable stayed bridge, w. access to the Basarab Metro Station (M1&M4).

Attus liked this post

Last edited by Alpin; March 31st, 2017 at 10:43 PM.
Old April 2nd, 2017, 07:33 AM   #277
Alpin
BANNED

More photos of the 2 new stations on M4.

Laminorului Station

Old April 2nd, 2017, 07:42 AM   #278
Alpin
BANNED

Străuleşti Station

Old April 2nd, 2017, 08:22 AM   #279
Alpin
BANNED

& video

The contract for the 2 stations also involves the construction of a new underground depot with a capacity of some 20 trains, a park and ride facility and a small stadium. They are now working on the above-ground part (the parking lot). Here's a video a few months old:

Old April 5th, 2017, 11:34 AM   #280
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Thank you for the awesome update Alpin !

Tags
bucharest, bucuresti, europe, metro, subway