daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 22nd, 2010, 12:11 AM   #21
stefano1895

Likes (Received): 9

it looks very unique and cool

200 años de libertad

ITALIA

EL PAIS MAS HERMOSO DE EUROPA xD
stefano1895 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2010, 04:01 AM   #22
jjippidy

Likes (Received): 0

There's been whispers of the developers wanting to seek an additional 10 floors, that could easily add up to those extra meters you're referring to.

However, I've heard nothing beyond that.

It's already huge, it already dominates the skyline, and a hot ticket, so the only reason I could see an increase being denied, if it's even in the works, is that it would probably create a shadow on a sidewalk somewhere, between June and July, for 5 minutes a day, and we can't have that.

I don't know if anyone on here has the scoop on whats going on in that department, it'd be interesting to find out.
jjippidy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 04:19 AM   #23
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

Likes (Received): 22

Are you serious about the rumour? 85 floors?! Wow!

As for the construction process... maybe it's partially an illusion because it sat as a parking lot for so long-- but the construction really is moving at an incredible pace. Faster than I've seen before.

They are already digging the pit-- pretty big hole on the site already today.
thryve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 04:44 AM   #24
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10782

I believe the rumour started on urbantoronto. A member said he had talked with someone from the company who said they were seeking a height increase. They also talked about having a 300 m+ tower in the pipeline for some other location. It's still rumour at this point as nothing has been confirmed, but I wouldn't be surprised to see this built to 85 floors and a taller tower proposal to follow from this same developer.

85 floors/290 m would be awesome, but this tower will look terrific even if that doesn't materialize.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 02:54 AM   #25
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

image hosted on flickr

steveve, SSP
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #26
Dan Hochhaus
highrise addicted

Likes (Received): 35

Great that there are so many projects becaming reality in Toronto now, especially in the +200m range. Aura was new for me... and I like it!

Ramako has brought this pic on the status change thread to prove that the tower is u/c...
09/March/2010 by ethervizion on UT:

image hosted on flickr
Old March 15th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #27
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17785

Kingly income? Some castles in the air ...
5 December 2009
The Toronto Star

AURA AT COLLEGE PARK

Developer: Canderel Stoneridge Equity Group Inc.

Architect: Graziani + Corazza

Tower height: 75 floors - tallest residential condo in North America (931 units).

Penthouse size: 11,000 square feet

Price: $17.5 million

Occupancy: June 2012

Online: www.collegeparkcondos.com

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 07:08 PM   #28
sumisu
ビール大好きです。ビルも好き

Likes (Received): 12

this one looks great!
Old March 15th, 2010, 08:49 PM   #29
Ni3lS

I'm in school and can't see flickr updates or whatever so I'll check it later. Although I guess the rules are that it's officially U/C when a core is visible and rising.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Old April 19th, 2010, 10:34 PM   #30
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

From Jasonzed in the Toronto forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonzed View Post

Old April 20th, 2010, 02:39 AM   #31
Ni3lS

Still prep work going on. Thanks for keeping these threads up to date guys
Old April 20th, 2010, 02:55 PM   #32
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
Still prep work going on. Thanks for keeping these threads up to date guys
i'm sorry but i have to say this: what the hell is going on in toronto? so many skyscrapers are currently U/C or Prep! must be a construction boom, and i totally missed it lol.
Old April 20th, 2010, 03:54 PM   #33
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
i'm sorry but i have to say this: what the hell is going on in toronto? so many skyscrapers are currently U/C or Prep! must be a construction boom, and i totally missed it lol.
Toronto has been experiencing a construction boom that started modestly at the beginning of the decade and has gotten stronger every year. The global recession barely caused a blip in the frenetic pace of development. You just have to walk a few blocks to stumble upon a construction crane. They're everywhere!

Two 200 m+ towers just topped out, five are under construction, and another two seem imminent. Then there are about 15 towers in the 100-200 m range under construction right now.

You'd think this was a city in China. The only thing missing has been super talls. I did hear a rumour about one though.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; April 20th, 2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old April 20th, 2010, 04:19 PM   #34
isaidso
the new republic

Here are two depictions of what it might look like:

Courtesy of 3D at urbantoronto

image hosted on flickr

Render courtesy of Traynor; Original Courtesy Mike in TO

Old April 20th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #35
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
You'd think this was a city in China. The only thing missing has been super talls. I did hear a rumour about one though.
exactly my next question: when is the first supertall coming? i was in toronto back in summer 2008, i can only imagine how many skyscrapers / highrises haven been completed since. can't wait till my next visit in 2011. seems to me like toronto is the main hub for skyscraper construction in canada (>80%). btw thx for the renders, looking good.
Old April 20th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #36
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
exactly my next question: when is the first supertall coming? i was in toronto back in summer 2008, i can only imagine how many skyscrapers / highrises haven been completed since. can't wait till my next visit in 2011. seems to me like toronto is the main hub for skyscraper construction in canada (>80%). btw thx for the renders, looking good.
Torontonians have been waiting patiently for the first super tall for a very long time. Every super tall proposal has fallen through, Trump being the last one. The only rumour I've heard was regarding plans for a 300 m+ tower from the same developer that's behind AURA. Apparently someone working for that company mouthed off about it, but it's all hearsay at this point. There are also rumblings regarding a height increase for AURA, but only for an extra 10 floors.

Toronto will probably get a super tall sooner rather than later, but we really don't have much to complain about. Most cities would kill for this level of construction. Toronto has more tower construction than any other city on the continent and looks to remain #1 for the next few years as well.

I have to say that the dizzying pace of change is even making locals stop to catch their breath. My friend went down to King West for the first time since last spring and stopped dead in his tracks. He uttered: "Where did those towers come from? There was nothing there last time I checked!"

Last edited by isaidso; April 20th, 2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old April 20th, 2010, 10:03 PM   #37
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

i see. yeah, toronto is rapidly catching up with other major U.S. "skyline" cities, like chicago or miami (NYC is another leauge).
Old April 20th, 2010, 11:40 PM   #38
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
i see. yeah, toronto is rapidly catching up with other major U.S. "skyline" cities, like chicago or miami (NYC is another leauge).
I've always considered Miami's skyline to be a couple rungs below Toronto's. Chicago's skyline is better, but the gap is surely being closed.

Old April 21st, 2010, 03:09 AM   #39
HipHopCanada
MicrophoneFiend

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Yeah Toronto's definitely catching up to Miami...

HipHopCanada no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 03:13 AM   #40
Ni3lS

Emporis is unreliable though but it gives you an idea of what's going on.

Tags
aura, canada, college park, toronto