daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Greater Manchester Transport Projects

Greater Manchester Transport Projects Transport Matters For Greater Manchester and Surrounding Areas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 210 votes, 5.00 average.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 11:56 PM   #4201
scientist12

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser2k View Post
Isn't there talk of a third platform at Deansgate-Castlefield that could be used as the terminus for the airport line?
Why would you terminate the airport line here?
scientist12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 24th, 2012, 12:02 AM   #4202
scientist12

Thanks to watcher for this:

"tram-train is attracting
increasing support from DfT, particularly through the committed pilot in
South Yorkshire, and would complement the Metrolink programme and
the Northern Hub rail expansion proposals, as well as offering scope to
better balance the demands of a future devolved railway. Potential
investment corridors could include:
Manchester – Marple via Bredbury (including Rose Hill and Marple
options)
Manchester – Glossop
Manchester – Atherton – Wigan
Sale – Altrincham - Hale/Knutsford/Northwich
Didsbury – Hazel Grove
Altrincham - Stockport - Manchester
In addition, as part of a wider rapid transit strategy, consideration will be
given to any potential enhancements to Metrolink lines or additional
extensions."
My reading of this is potential tram train lines:
options)
Manchester – Glossop
Didsbury – Hazel Grove
And the complete unknown to us forumers:in addition, as part of a wider rapid transit strategy, consideration will be
extensions."

So in short there going to be tied up with tram train for a while (all of which looks mega exciting) but after that there really is a bit of a blank canvas which is exciting, although a long way off.
Old June 24th, 2012, 12:17 AM   #4203
markydeedrop
John 3:16

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by scientist12 View Post
Thanks to watcher for this:

"tram-train is attracting
increasing support from DfT, particularly through the committed pilot in
South Yorkshire, and would complement the Metrolink programme and
the Northern Hub rail expansion proposals, as well as offering scope to
better balance the demands of a future devolved railway. Potential
investment corridors could include:
options)
Manchester – Glossop
Didsbury – Hazel Grove
In addition, as part of a wider rapid transit strategy, consideration will be
extensions."
My reading of this is potential tram train lines:
options)
Manchester – Glossop
Didsbury – Hazel Grove
And the complete unknown to us forumers:in addition, as part of a wider rapid transit strategy, consideration will be
extensions."

So in short there going to be tied up with tram train for a while (all of which looks mega exciting) but after that there really is a bit of a blank canvas which is exciting, although a long way off.
From looking at Google earth, and from that paragraph above, I'm starting to think that TFGM might be looking more at Didsbury to Hazel Grove, rather than Didsbury to Stockport. If this route takes over the existing single track Cheadle Heath to Hazel Grover stretch, I think it could be very successful.
markydeedrop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 12:31 AM   #4204
scientist12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caiman View Post

Sao Paulo elevated rail! Imagine something like this down the middle of Oxford Road?

These elevated rails I see are the thing all over what we used to call the "third world" or "LDC's" heaven knows what the politically correct term is now: More developed than UK in terms of transport systems but lower GDP? What I like about them is how they seem to construct them and keep the traffic running at the same time:
image hosted on flickr

lrt5 by scientist12, on Flickrimage hosted on flickr

lrt2 by scientist12, on Flickr
Even the station can be constructed without closing off the (heavily congested ) road:image hosted on flickr

lrt3 by scientist12, on Flickr
Existing structures like footbridges just require the line to go a tiny bit higher over the top (don't bang your head folks):
image hosted on flickr

lrt4 by scientist12, on Flickr
They seem to suit dual carriageways and I was thinking where you could put something like this in Manchester and the only place I could think of was connecting media city to salford crescent:
image hosted on flickr

salford crescent by scientist12, on Flickr
This would allow interchange for people from Bolton to the Quays, Salford University and its media campus, Wigan etc. Would prefer it as a tram and so I haven't thought yet as to what line it could be tacked onto or whether it could be part of the cornbrook shuttle, a double shuttle if you like.
Old June 24th, 2012, 12:39 AM   #4205
scientist12

Quote:
Originally Posted by markydeedrop View Post
From looking at Google earth, and from that paragraph above, I'm starting to think that TFGM might be looking more at Didsbury to Hazel Grove, rather than Didsbury to Stockport. If this route takes over the existing single track Cheadle Heath to Hazel Grover stretch, I think it could be very successful.
That's what I interpreted it to mean potentially building some new stations I would think at Adswood and Cheadle Heath, then either styal line or the original tram line to East Didsbury metrolink station. There's a lot of potential round Manchester to have quite a big tram train network quite fast. There is another thread for this and I am straying onto the wrong one.
Old June 24th, 2012, 01:06 AM   #4206
VDB

Likes (Received): 2628

Quote:
That's what I interpreted it to mean potentially building some new stations I would think at Adswood and Cheadle Heath, then either styal line or the original tram line to East Didsbury metrolink station. There's a lot of potential round Manchester to have quite a big tram train network quite fast. There is another thread for this and I am straying onto the wrong one.
I've posted this route/idea in the other Metrolink forum.. Just interested as to why TfGM are looking at this route for tram-train rather than just a simple extension of the line to East Didsbury?
VDB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 02:08 AM   #4207
BiggerisBetter

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by markydeedrop View Post
I am not sure that this would be that successful as whilst Cheadle has poor public transport links to Manchester, the track heading to Hazel Grove would be poorly positioned for a station (as Cheshire Line pub shows). Also, a large proportion of potential journeys from Hazel Grove westwards would be lost if the line did not serve Stockport. These areas (excepting Cheadle and Cheadle Heath) are also fairly well served by rail which would offer a quicker journey time.
BiggerisBetter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 03:41 AM   #4208
iheartthenew

Likes (Received): 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB

I've posted this route/idea in the other Metrolink forum.. Just interested as to why TfGM are looking at this route for tram-train rather than just a simple extension of the line to East Didsbury?
And the last half of my fantasy line I posted back in April

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthenew
down the central reservation of Kingsway on a ''trambahn''....

borrowing a bit of railway here...

it has a stop in Morrisons car park - it isn't a proper line without one ....

and on to Adswood and Hazel Grove...

Last edited by iheartthenew; June 24th, 2012 at 03:47 AM.
iheartthenew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #4209
scientist12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerisBetter

I am not sure that this would be that successful as whilst Cheadle has poor public transport links to Manchester, the track heading to Hazel Grove would be poorly positioned for a station (as Cheshire Line pub shows). Also, a large proportion of potential journeys from Hazel Grove westwards would be lost if the line did not serve Stockport. These areas (excepting Cheadle and Cheadle Heath) are also fairly well served by rail which would offer a quicker journey time.
I think it might serve Stockport and then reverse back out of stockport
Old June 24th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #4210
scientist12

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthenew

The park and ride is on a flood plain. Apparently when it floods the school has no sports fields at all and it comes right up nearly to the buildings. Also still prefer linking to the original proposed tram route as it could serve the houses and industry of Heaton Mersey with a stop there.
Old June 24th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #4211
scientist12

Looking at google maps again, the cheapest option is to go through Cheadle Heath and connect to Didsbury via the Styal line as there is no need to build a bridge. This might get in the way of airport train traffic however. If this did occur logically you would convert maul death road and burn age to tram and potentially add a tram stop at Longsight and all the way to town.
Old June 24th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #4212
VDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthenew View Post
I agree with your last two photos but re the first one, why not just use the extended alignment out of East Didsbury Metrolink? That takes you all the way to Cheadle Heath where you can connect with the existing rails into Hazel Grove/Davenport area.

My stations would be:-

- East Didsbury/Parrs Wood
- Cheadle Heath (transfer for National Rail on the Chester Line)
- Adswood (transfer for National Rail to Stockport/Cheadle Hulme
- South Davenport
- Hazel Grove (transfer for National Rail to Stockport and Sheffield)
Old June 24th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #4213
iheartthenew

You're right Volde, you'd just have to CPO some small industrial units on Station Rd and you have a clear route.

That 1st picture only follows that route off Kingsway as the other half of the fantasy line goes up there to the rear of the Uni, MRI on Upper Brook St. and on to Princess St
Old June 24th, 2012, 12:47 PM   #4214
Motortownman

Location: Salford, near Manchester as opposed to Manchester near Salford.
Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Why would you terminate the airport line here?
Because they went for the cheaper 2CC which really does't solve anything at all. Coming off at Cornbrook and using Chester Road and Deansgate would have allowed a much greater flexibility and route options and also a diversion should anything go wrong but it was written off before anyone could make any comments. Basically bacause they had already made their mind up.The arguments against it were weak at least using comments like it stops Cornbrook being an interchange was one of the weakest.

Last edited by Motortownman; June 24th, 2012 at 06:00 PM.
Motortownman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #4215
VDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthenew View Post
You're right Volde, you'd just have to CPO some small industrial units on Station Rd and you have a clear route.

That 1st picture only follows that route off Kingsway as the other half of the fantasy line goes up there to the rear of the Uni, MRI on Upper Brook St. and on to Princess St
Ah not forgetting of course that buildings on the alignment are no object really; Metrolink have demolished loads of buildings along the Airport/ORL lines
Old June 24th, 2012, 02:26 PM   #4216
VDB

In fact, while I'm here; time for an update of some of my recent ideas. Some people on here have brushed upon most of these.

So here's what I hope to see as a Phase 4!

- Manchester - Radcliffe - Bolton - Blackrod

Uses the unused trackbed out of Radcliffe up to Bolton. Useful for use at Horwich Parkway on match days. Although quite a few CPO's required because of silly town planners building on the alignment 8 new stations will be built and a new set of platforms will be built at Radcliffe for interchanges between Bury and Blackrod services

The stations:-

- Radcliffe (new set of platforms, interchange between Bury and Blackrod services
- Black Lane
- Halfway Houses
- Little Lever
- Bolton Interchange (transfer for National Rail services and the bus interchange for local bus services
- Queen's Park
- Lostock Parkway (transfer for trains to Westhoughton, Wigan and Southport)
- Horwich Parkway (will be busy on match days)
- Blackrod

- Manchester - Brooklands - Warrington Central - Great Sankey

Uses the old alignment out of Brooklands towards Lymm and Warrington. 11 new stations. Once at Warrington, it 'hops up' onto the road at Wilderspool Causeway into Warrington Town Centre. They'll be an interchange for the station at Warrington Central before the line carries up towards the Halliwell Jones Stadium. It'll then veer out towards Westbrook.

Most of the dual carriageways around here have very wide grass verges at the side of them, making it easy for the tram to run through Westbrook and onto Great Sankey. They'll be a National Rail interchange at GS.

- Brooklands (transfers available between services to Altrincham and Warrington/Great Sankey)
- Lymm
- Thelwall-Quayside
- Thelwall Central
- Wilderspool
- Union Square (for Warrington Town Centre)
- Warrington Central (transfer to National Rail Service)
- Halliwell Jones Stadium (busy on match days)
- Gulliver's World first theme park on the Metrolink network!
- Westbrook North
- Westbrook South
- Great Sankey (transfer to National Rail Service)

- Manchester - St Werburgh's Road - Levenshulme South

There used to be two stations in Levenshulme. Levenshulme North (the current one on the line to Stockport) and one in an embankment; Levenshulme South. This line terminates here. It veers off the alignment at St Werburgh's Road (quickly becoming a big interchange, so a reshuffle and perhaps new platforms will be needed) and heads towards Fallowfield.

A tunnel will probably be required under the various buildings built on the alignment () in Fallowfield, but that shouldn't be too much trouble considering how much this line will generate in patronage. After Fallowfield it carries onto Levenshulme. They'll be an interchange at Fallowfield and a new station built on the Piccadilly-Airport rail line.

4 new stations:-

- St Werburgh's Road (new platforms built here to increase capacity and allow transfer between the East Didsbury, South Levenshulme and Airport lines.
- Platt Fields Park
- Fallowfield (transfer to National Rail service trains to Piccadilly and Airport. New station built on rail line to allow Metro-Train transfers
- South Levenshulme (I doubt many people will use this station to get to town what with North Levenshulme offering a quicker service, but it allows Levenshulme to be connected directly to Chorlton, Trafford etc and anywhere on the network from SWR, TB and Cornbrook.

- Manchester - St Werburgh's Road - Hazel Grove

Alignment extends out of East Didsbury Metrolink. This takes the line down to Cheadle Heath where it connects to the line to Hazel Grove. Would certainly be a very long line all the way down to this South East Corner. You could also potentially extend the line into New Mills.

4 New stations:-

East Didsbury-Parrs Wood (transfer between services to Hazel Grove (and Stockport) and National Rail services to Piccadilly and the Airport at East Didsbury station, short walk away)
Cheadle Heath (new station built on the Stockport to Altrincham line to allow transfers between Metrolink and Stockport.)
Adswood (new station built on the line between Cheadle Hulme and Stockport to allow another connection between Metrolink, Cheadle Hulme and Stockport.
Davenport
Hazel Grove

I believe the interchanges with National Rail here will work very well at getting people onto Metrolink from connecting services from Stockport, Bramhall, Poynton, Cheadle Hulme etc.

- Manchester - St Werburgh's Road - East Didsbury/Parrs Wood - Stockport

Metrolink have had this one planned for years, we all know the alignment.

East Didsbury/Parrs Wood (transfer between services to Hazel Grove and Stockport and for National Rail at East Didsbury station, short walk, for trains to Piccadilly and the Airport
Heaton Mersey
Pyramid (Stockport Pyramid)
Stockport Interchange transfer to the bus interchange. A walkway will also be built connecting the National Rail train station.
Stockport Plaza (for Merseyway Shopping Centre and Stockport Plaza)

Victoria - Miles Platting

I'm not particularly a fan of having some services terminate at Victoria, or in the city centre at all for that matter. It clogs up the line. So, to ease this issue and actually service the Collyhurst and Miles Platting areas, I introduce you to this 'spur'. The line will carry on out of Victoria, a busy interchange by now, out on the existing track towards Miles Platting. Simples! There did, of course, used to be a station at Miles Platting.

Services from the Trafford Centre which are due to terminate at Victoria will run along this line.

2 new stations:-

Victoria (transfer to National Rail services and Metrolink to Bury, Bolton/Blackrod, Rochdale and Oldham.)
Collyhurst (situated in a tunnel. The line to MP will veer off the Bury line as it enters the tunnel under the railway just after Victoria. Collyhurst station will be just off here, and after calling at Collyhurst the line will rise back onto the railway towards MP)
Miles Platting (could become an interchange between Metrolink and trains to Ashton/Stalybridge. If not; it provides a terminus

Piccadilly - Green Park - Whitworth Park

Stemmed out of the same issue as at Victoria of terminating trams at Piccadilly, I've created this spur too. This idea actually brushes upon the whole Oxford Road tram issue. After calling at Piccadilly Undercroft, the line veers out towards Fairfield St (complicated and probably impossible). It runs across Fairfield St in order to start heading towards Downing St to take it down towards the Apollo. The alignment runs alongside Ardwick Green Park, with a stop outside the Apollo. Then it veers down Brunswick St, then southwards down Upper Brook St, and then finally off onto Grafton St towards the Whitworth Gallery. The terminus is on the embankment outside the gallery, on Oxford Road. The line could of course be extended in all different directions, potentially further down Oxford Road or into Moss Side, etc.

Services from MediaCity and Altrincham which currently terminate at Piccadilly will run down this line (with the Eccles and Bury services running out to Ashton.

Piccadilly (transfer to National Rail service and Metrolink services to Bury, Ashton, Eccles, Altrincham and MediaCity
Ardwick Green-Apollo
Brunswick
Upper Brook Street
Whitworth Park (transfer to the bus corridor and exit for Whitworth Art Gallery)

- Extension of the Altrincham line to Knutsford

This route is talked about for tram-train, but I can see it working just as an extension of the existing tram.

5 new stations:-

Altrincham (transfer to National Rail service and bus interchange)
Hale
Ashley Heath
Ashley (maybe Metrolink could build a few houses here to make a 12 minute frequency viable? Otherwise it might have to be skipped out by some trams..)
Mobberly (same as Ashley)
Knutsford (transfer available to National Rail service)

All added up, that's a possibility of 41 new stations!

Hope you enjoyed! Criticism/comments are of course welcome. They're also plenty of other options for tram-based Metrolink to keep TfGM busy over the next 3 decades!...

- A line to Waterloo just outside Ashton, from Oldham Mumps. (all the way to Ashton not possible due to buildings on the alignment). Stations could be at Glodwick and places like that. Not looked deeply into this one.

- Extension of the Rochdale Line out to Seven Sisters and maybe even Norden.

- Extension of the Eccles Line to Irlam

- Extension of the Port Salford line to City/Barton Airport

... and then loads of tram-train ideas such as using the Tyldesley Loopline, and of course lines to Wigan via Atherton, Glossop, Hadfield and Rose Hill. Would also be nice to have a line to Knutsford via Stockport.
Old June 24th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #4217
BiggerisBetter

Likes (Received): 15

[QUOTE=VDB;92668857]In fact, while I'm here; time for an update of some of my recent ideas. Some people on here have brushed upon most of these.

So here's what I hope to see as a Phase 4![QUOTE]

Some good ideas here although I have some constructive comments:

I would have 3 stops on the Fallowfield spur then terminate it there. For me the cost of gettng pat the trackbed that has been built on here would be too high when taking into acount the fact that once you get east of Wilmslow Road here it will be as quick by bus to travel straight into the City Centre thant the less direct route by Metrolink. We need to consider that the majority of patronage of Metrolink lines will come from people travelling to the City Centre and seconday centres (Alti, Bury, Eccles, Oldham, Rochdale, Salford Quays etc). If an alternative and quicker route is possible for these journeys, this will be more popular. I therefore can't see many peolpe from Levenshulme or Longsight using the tram via Chorlton.

I agree on the plans for the extension to Stockport and from the Trafford Centre to Port Salford.

I also agree on the extension of the Altrincham line to Knutsford. What I would realy like to see here is an interchange station at Ashley with a park and ride and station for the western link of the airport spur. I would then perhaps remove Mobberley altogether or perhaps replace it with a station at the very north-east of Knutsford. I would also have a stop at Bowden and divert Cheshire line services via the airport. Not 100% what to do with the existing track from Navigation Road then though. Perhaps a line from Timperley to Stockport with stops at Baguley to interchange with the Airport Line, Gatley, Chealde, Edgely Park and Stockport. I appreciate that few would travel end to end but people in Gatley and Cheadle would use the line to travel into Stockport.

Any line along Oxford Road in my view if it were to go ahead (which I don't want to open up the can of worms on this topic) would need to go all the way down to either East or West Didsbury to interchange with the line currently under construction.

Any line to Hazel Grove must also serve Stockport otherwise people aren't going to use it for such a long journey.

I am warming to the idea of a tram along Kingsway to remove stopping services and provide extra capacity along the airport line. THis is the only way it would be viable however as the train would always be a quicker option. I think latent demand could sustain a 4 trains per hour stopping service along this line.

I would also like to see an extension of the Ashton line to Stalybridge.
BiggerisBetter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #4218
iheartthenew

East Didsbury to Hazel Grove

Volde, of course I agree with your E. Didsbury - Cheadle Heath - Adswood - Hazel Grove extension.

I don't think it needs to go to Stockport to work, there is a parallel heavy rail line via Woodsmoor and Davenport, plus quite a few buses going direct to Stockport already. And Hazel Grove won't be that much further out than Rochdale. I think it will provide a good alternative to using the car on the A6 and A34.

Eccles line extension

With regards your extension of the Eccles line, I think it's the wrong choice to extend to Irlam. And if your extending the Port Salford line to the airport at Barton they'll end up crossing over each other! I actually think it will be quite a difficult line to extend in any meaningful direction and with all the wiggly bits in SQ it will be too slow. Also if wouldn't connect Irlam with anything that useful that quickly.

On the other hand the proposed Trafford Centre/Port Salford line would, connecting Irlam with major centres of employment (like Trafford Park, Port Salford and SQ) and other attractions. This would remove lots of cars from the only road in and out of the town and provide a good alternative to the minimal bus and train services it currently gets.

I've not looked into your other fantastical proposals do I can't comment yet

Last edited by iheartthenew; June 24th, 2012 at 08:00 PM.
iheartthenew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #4219
Cherguevara

Likes (Received): 905

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
In fact, while I'm here; time for an update of some of my recent ideas. Some people on here have brushed upon most of these.

So here's what I hope to see as a Phase 4!

- Manchester - Radcliffe - Bolton - Blackrod

- Radcliffe (new set of platforms, interchange between Bury and Blackrod services
- Black Lane
- Halfway Houses
- Little Lever
- Bolton Interchange (transfer for National Rail services and the bus interchange for local bus services
- Queen's Park
- Lostock Parkway (transfer for trains to Westhoughton, Wigan and Southport)
- Horwich Parkway (will be busy on match days)
- Blackrod
I like the idea of reusing this route but I can't see it being viable beyond Bolton town centre.

Quote:
- Manchester - Brooklands - Warrington Central - Great Sankey

- Brooklands (transfers available between services to Altrincham and Warrington/Great Sankey)
- Lymm
- Thelwall-Quayside
- Thelwall Central
- Wilderspool
- Union Square (for Warrington Town Centre)
- Warrington Central (transfer to National Rail Service)
- Halliwell Jones Stadium (busy on match days)
- Gulliver's World first theme park on the Metrolink network!
- Westbrook North
- Westbrook South
- Great Sankey (transfer to National Rail Service)
The connection was actually south of Timperley and serves primarily rural areas with very little demand for such an intensive service. There are probably more people living near the line between Brooklands and Broadheath as on the rest of the route to Warrington.

Quote:
- Manchester - St Werburgh's Road - Levenshulme South

- St Werburgh's Road (new platforms built here to increase capacity and allow transfer between the East Didsbury, South Levenshulme and Airport lines.
- Platt Fields Park
- Fallowfield (transfer to National Rail service trains to Piccadilly and Airport. New station built on rail line to allow Metro-Train transfers
- South Levenshulme (I doubt many people will use this station to get to town what with North Levenshulme offering a quicker service, but it allows Levenshulme to be connected directly to Chorlton, Trafford etc and anywhere on the network from SWR, TB and Cornbrook.
The line is too short and facing the wrong way to generate enough patronage to justify itself

Quote:
- Manchester - St Werburgh's Road - Hazel Grove

Alignment extends out of East Didsbury Metrolink. This takes the line down to Cheadle Heath where it connects to the line to Hazel Grove. Would certainly be a very long line all the way down to this South East Corner. You could also potentially extend the line into New Mills.

4 New stations:-

East Didsbury-Parrs Wood (transfer between services to Hazel Grove (and Stockport) and National Rail services to Piccadilly and the Airport at East Didsbury station, short walk away)
Cheadle Heath (new station built on the Stockport to Altrincham line to allow transfers between Metrolink and Stockport.)
Adswood (new station built on the line between Cheadle Hulme and Stockport to allow another connection between Metrolink, Cheadle Hulme and Stockport.
Davenport
Hazel Grove

I believe the interchanges with National Rail here will work very well at getting people onto Metrolink from connecting services from Stockport, Bramhall, Poynton, Cheadle Hulme etc.
I do actually think this is a decent idea. Whether it would be too expensive to link Heaton Mersey with Cheadle Heath I don't know, but it connects poorly served areas and opens a new alignment through Stockport borough.

Quote:
- Manchester - St Werburgh's Road - East Didsbury/Parrs Wood - Stockport

Metrolink have had this one planned for years, we all know the alignment.

East Didsbury/Parrs Wood (transfer between services to Hazel Grove and Stockport and for National Rail at East Didsbury station, short walk, for trains to Piccadilly and the Airport
Heaton Mersey
Pyramid (Stockport Pyramid)
Stockport Interchange transfer to the bus interchange. A walkway will also be built connecting the National Rail train station.
Stockport Plaza (for Merseyway Shopping Centre and Stockport Plaza)
I think this works well if extended beyond Stockport to allow services to run to points beyond to Marple or back towards town or Hyde. I see Stockport as a secondary centre of the Metrolink network in the south eastern area.

Quote:
Victoria - Miles Platting

I'm not particularly a fan of having some services terminate at Victoria, or in the city centre at all for that matter. It clogs up the line. So, to ease this issue and actually service the Collyhurst and Miles Platting areas, I introduce you to this 'spur'. The line will carry on out of Victoria, a busy interchange by now, out on the existing track towards Miles Platting. Simples! There did, of course, used to be a station at Miles Platting.

Services from the Trafford Centre which are due to terminate at Victoria will run along this line.

2 new stations:-

Victoria (transfer to National Rail services and Metrolink to Bury, Bolton/Blackrod, Rochdale and Oldham.)
Collyhurst (situated in a tunnel. The line to MP will veer off the Bury line as it enters the tunnel under the railway just after Victoria. Collyhurst station will be just off here, and after calling at Collyhurst the line will rise back onto the railway towards MP)
Miles Platting (could become an interchange between Metrolink and trains to Ashton/Stalybridge. If not; it provides a terminus

Piccadilly - Green Park - Whitworth Park

Stemmed out of the same issue as at Victoria of terminating trams at Piccadilly, I've created this spur too. This idea actually brushes upon the whole Oxford Road tram issue. After calling at Piccadilly Undercroft, the line veers out towards Fairfield St (complicated and probably impossible). It runs across Fairfield St in order to start heading towards Downing St to take it down towards the Apollo. The alignment runs alongside Ardwick Green Park, with a stop outside the Apollo. Then it veers down Brunswick St, then southwards down Upper Brook St, and then finally off onto Grafton St towards the Whitworth Gallery. The terminus is on the embankment outside the gallery, on Oxford Road. The line could of course be extended in all different directions, potentially further down Oxford Road or into Moss Side, etc.

Services from MediaCity and Altrincham which currently terminate at Piccadilly will run down this line (with the Eccles and Bury services running out to Ashton.

Piccadilly (transfer to National Rail service and Metrolink services to Bury, Ashton, Eccles, Altrincham and MediaCity
Ardwick Green-Apollo
Brunswick
Upper Brook Street
Whitworth Park (transfer to the bus corridor and exit for Whitworth Art Gallery)
I hate both these ideas, as they wouldn't come near to covering their costs as they don't serve real journeys or useful destinations. For the former you'd be better running down Oldham Road to Central Park and then cutting up towards the Irk Valley to Middleton, although this would probably be better as a busway. For the latter you'd need to run trams down Kingsway and Princess Road and have them meet at Whitworth Park before heading straight into town.

Quote:
- Extension of the Altrincham line to Knutsford

This route is talked about for tram-train, but I can see it working just as an extension of the existing tram.

5 new stations:-

Altrincham (transfer to National Rail service and bus interchange)
Hale
Ashley Heath
Ashley (maybe Metrolink could build a few houses here to make a 12 minute frequency viable? Otherwise it might have to be skipped out by some trams..)
Mobberly (same as Ashley)
Knutsford (transfer available to National Rail service)
Again like your Warrington idea there isn't the population to justify a tram line. Possibly a tram-train like service would be feasible, but if you're going to Knutsford you might as well go to Northwich (and then to Chester/Middlewich).
Cherguevara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #4220
LRC Lancaster

Likes (Received): 0

Future idea

A new line from Salford then down Oxford Road

The line will link Salford shopping centre, Salford University, MMU, Manchester University, Fallowfield and Withington to Manchester city centre. It will run from the Shopping centre, down Belvedere Road and the Crescent, then onto Bridge St, John Dalton and Princess Street, through St Peter's Square and then straight down Oxford Road, leading to Wilmslow Road, all the way to Withington.

There will be 18 stops:

Salford Market
Salford Crescent (for National Rail)
Chapel Street
Salford Central (for National Rail)
Deansgate-Spinningfields
St Peter's Square (for all other Metrolink lines)
Oxford Road (for National Rail)
Grosvenor Square (for MMU)
University Central (for Manchester University and Manchester Museum)
Ackers Street
Whitworth Park (for Whitworth Art Gallery)
Great Western Street
Rusholme (for Curry Mile)
Platt Fields Park
Fallowfield
Derby Road
Withington Central
Withington South (for Metrolink services to Hazel Grove - former Withington stop)
LRC Lancaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: