daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Greater Manchester Transport Projects

Greater Manchester Transport Projects Transport Matters For Greater Manchester and Surrounding Areas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 168 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 31st, 2010, 08:11 PM   #61
heatonparkincakes

Likes (Received): 339

Erm the so called tram-train from Wigan was proposed to go down Chapel St?

Sponsored Links

Old January 31st, 2010, 09:07 PM   #62
Nathan Dawz
Makin all KINDS of gains!

Likes (Received): 1266

A previous idea of a 'Universities line' (posted a while ago, I can't remember) was quite good:

An extension from an Oxford Road Corridor line would go to St. Peter's Square, then a station at Quay Street (useful for Spinningfields), then across the river to Salford Central, then Chapel Street, Salford Crescent, Pendleton (just outside Salford Shopping City), Chimney Pot Park, then down towards a rebuilt Langworthy station, then Broadway, then connecting up to Media City.

Would be useful for connecting the 3 main unis together: Manc, Man Met & Salford (with campuses at Crescent and Media City) plus the studenty areas in Fallowfield; connects Salford Quays to Salford city centre to Manchester city centre, and it can run all the down to Manchester Airport if necessary.
Nathan Dawz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 02:01 PM   #63
Gerbil
11th March 2009

Likes (Received): 24

On the subject of circular routes connecting the provincial towns, IMHO it would be a good idea.

My reasoning is mainly based on passenger usage statistics and a comparison with London ... I have noted that if you compare the station usage of a station (rail or underground) in Greater London with the population of the town it serves, there are about 120 passenger journeys per year per member of the population. In Greater Manchester, the figure is more like 12 for rail, and a maximum of about 30 for Metrolink. Why is this? Anecdotally, from hearing people talk about their commuter patterns (particularly during the TiF campaign), by far the majority of people in Manchester don't work in, or even near the centre. Most commuter journeys go from one town to another, or even from one suburb to another. Therefore it is clear that a network with only radial routes is never going to fully serve Manchester - circular routes should definitely be the next step.

This is just my theory though, so feel free to correct me if I've made an error in the logic, or if you are more informed on the matter.
Gerbil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 02:20 PM   #64
WatcherZero

Its something I agree with Gerbil, on the London figures I think its partially accounted for by London being a massive intechange location between different routes, people are changing trains to access different parts of the country and since the figures are calculated by number of train passengers boarding or alighting rather than number of people entering or leaving the station itself the figures gets distorted.
WatcherZero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 02:36 PM   #65
Cherguevara

Likes (Received): 819

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbil View Post
On the subject of circular routes connecting the provincial towns, IMHO it would be a good idea.

My reasoning is mainly based on passenger usage statistics and a comparison with London ... I have noted that if you compare the station usage of a station (rail or underground) in Greater London with the population of the town it serves, there are about 120 passenger journeys per year per member of the population. In Greater Manchester, the figure is more like 12 for rail, and a maximum of about 30 for Metrolink. Why is this? Anecdotally, from hearing people talk about their commuter patterns (particularly during the TiF campaign), by far the majority of people in Manchester don't work in, or even near the centre. Most commuter journeys go from one town to another, or even from one suburb to another. Therefore it is clear that a network with only radial routes is never going to fully serve Manchester - circular routes should definitely be the next step.

This is just my theory though, so feel free to correct me if I've made an error in the logic, or if you are more informed on the matter.
I think your first assumption is correct. Manchester is far more decentralised a city than London, with employment far more evenly distributed. However this doesn't mean that orbital rail is a good idea.

Firstly because most of the job growth we are expecting over the next 10 - 15 years will be centrally located. That means that it is radial journeys that will need higher capacity increases than peripheral ones. Secondly many of the jobs in the peripheral towns tend not to be sited in the centre of those towns, but on trading and industrial estates and business parks which are poorly linked to public transport.

Some semi-orbital journey could be achieved relatively easily and might be worthwhile. Altrincham-Timperley-Baguley(for the Airport Line)-Gatley-Cheadle Heath-Adswood-Stockport tram-trains might be well used to connect these growing business locations and suburbs, especially if they were able to access Stockport town centre directly. Ramsbottom-Bury-Heywood-Rochdale-Shaw-Oldham services would also be possible and might improve these areas economies.
Cherguevara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 02:49 PM   #66
MarkO

Likes (Received): 81

METROLINK TO STOCKPORT

Nice post of piccies from JdR showing track-bed clearance towards East Dids. He included a well found scan of a newspaper article on the proposed Stockport extension which set me digging out some old pamphlets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny de Rivative View Post

(Manchester Evening News 21.7.2000, above)
To me it will be a crying shame if it doesn't go through to Stockport. The day before the above article, MEN's front page 20.7.00had said:-
"Plans to add Stockport to the Metrolink map of Manchester have already won a big thumbs-up from people in the town.
"When a public consultation was staged earlier this year, the move was backed by more people than any other extension to the service.
"Eight out of ten people asked said they would use the line, and 83 per cent of people were in favour of it being built. One third of passengers would switch to the supertram from using a car for the journey.
"Stockport Council Leader Coun Fred Ridley said, getting Metrolink would be 'great news' for the town".

Ten years later, cllr.craig.wright@stockport.gov.uk (Liberal Democrat councillor for Marple North) is still pushing for the extensions to Stockport, followed by the much needed link to Marple via Brinnington, as well as the tram-train proposals via Ashburys to Piccadilly undercroft.
All strength to his elbow! [/I]
So look what I turned up from a 1999 pamphlet which includes many nice aerial photos of where the route might go, I'll try and scan them soon but meantime here's a geographic map from that era, showing the proposed tunnel between East Didsbury & Craig Road! (It's because the route follows an old railway line that was later filled in - GMPTE thinking ws that the locals would not like to lose their new green finger so they would dig out the filling put the tram in a tunnel and cover it over (making the longest section of cut'n'cover on the system!). Not sure this is still in the plans and there must be questions over the routing seen here but good to see it after a decade anyway!

image hosted on flickr
MarkO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:01 PM   #67
Cherguevara

Does anyone know what the purpose of Hough End Station is? It seems ridiculously close the St Werburgh's and doesn't offer interchange with the Didsbury line, so what's it for?
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:59 PM   #68
Gdogg371
Fly Swatter

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherguevara View Post
Does anyone know what the purpose of Hough End Station is? It seems ridiculously close the St Werburgh's and doesn't offer interchange with the Didsbury line, so what's it for?
there are a few things around there that it could serve. hough end police training school, i think there is a high school there too, then there is whalley range high school and also didsbury point. people would be more likely to walk to hough end met stop than they would st werbugh's road, which is a fair old trek away.
Gdogg371 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 05:44 PM   #69
MarkO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdogg371 View Post
there are a few things around there that it could serve. hough end police training school, i think there is a high school there too, then there is whalley range high school and also didsbury point. people would be more likely to walk to hough end met stop than they would st werbugh's road, which is a fair old trek away.
But wouldn't it be better sited on the corner of Nell Lane perhaps???
Old February 1st, 2010, 07:25 PM   #70
Nathan Dawz
Makin all KINDS of gains!

Likes (Received): 1266

But surely Hough End is so close to St. Werburgh's Road it's unjustifiable? There's a danger of having too many unnecessary stations (especially on the Wythenshawe route) which will just make the journey slower for everyone else.

A balance needs to be struck, and I don't think Hough End can make the cut.
Nathan Dawz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 07:29 PM   #71
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 921

Strange question, roughly how far are we talking between stations on the new line? Those National Rail stations look a similar distance and they usually have quite a distance between them.
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 10:50 PM   #72
heatonparkincakes

Couple of points.

Curious that the MEN article on Stockport talks about extending the Met out to the Peel Centre and spurring off on the freight line at the back of Stepping Hill.

Another line for Mark to add to his fantasy line. And maybe part of some future Wikipedia article "Never built tram lines"

Second why hasnt there been any thought to have a direct line from Stockport to the Airport ?
Old February 1st, 2010, 11:21 PM   #73
Motortownman

Location: Salford, near Manchester as opposed to Manchester near Salford.
Likes (Received): 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdogg371 View Post
It's for Nell Lane estate and the houses by the southern hotel. When it's all complete the 84 bus may be no more.
Motortownman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 11:58 PM   #74
Cherguevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motortownman View Post
It's for Nell Lane estate and the houses by the southern hotel. When it's all complete the 84 bus may be no more.
Ah right, cheers. I got confused, as I thought there was a planned stop on the Didsbury line to serve those houses, but looking at the map there isn't.

I suppose with patronage expected to be lower of the Airport Line that putting in another stop is more important than journey times to town. But it is going to make it very annoying for the few people who do elect to trundle into town from Wythenshawe.

Heaton - I read about the proposed reuse of the old Midland railway for Metrolink in a Stockport Council strategy document (about 8 years old), although I think the council didn't consider it as important as the Didsbury to Stockport and Stockport to Marple extensions. I think I read somewhere else that they had looked into a Stockport-Airport route and that the eastern section (the suggested Stockport-Marple route) was actually better performing than the western one (Stockport to the Airport via Wythenshawe). The Stockport to Bredbury and Hyde busway is being planned to allow Metrolink to use the alignment, so presumably it's still a possibility at some future point.

I like the idea of an unbuilt Metrolink list. With four Stockport lines, one Middleton, two Manchester and three Salford ghost proposals the powers that be seem to be almost as big a bunch of fantasists as we are!
Old February 2nd, 2010, 12:13 AM   #75
heatonparkincakes

Tell me more, its awhile since Bredbury meant any thing to me now I have relocated to the wild northside.

A Marple to Stockport route. Where and how?

And that Busway. Didnt know of the Met idea.

Yeah the London Underground has extensive closed and never built but proposed stations and lines, so why not a "Metrolink never built list" for Wiki.

So far its

East Didsbury to Stockport (Big Bang GMPTE)

Pomona to Trafford Centre (Big Bang GMPTE)

Eccles to Bolton via Walkden (Salford MBC)

Wigan to Manchester (Salford MBC)

Eccles to Trafford Centre (Salford MBC)

Victoria to Middleton via Bowker Vale (A Rochdale MBC councillor)

Ashton to Stalybridge (Roy Oldham leader of Tameside MBC)

Stockport station to Hazel Grove (SMBC)

Marple to Stockport (SMBC)

Add further if you wish.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 01:05 AM   #76
Cherguevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatonparkincakes View Post
Tell me more, its awhile since Bredbury meant any thing to me now I have relocated to the wild northside.

Yeah the London Underground has extensive closed and never built but proposed stations and lines, so why not a "Metrolink never built list" for Wiki.

So far its

Add further if you wish.
Here's the Stockport Marple route (taken from the document: Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council Local Development Framework, Core Strategy
Development Plan Document, ISSUES AND OPTIONS PAPER Consultation – 26/09/07 to 09/11/07" which unfortunately doesn't seem to be available anymore (as it has been superceded by a later paper that is vaguer about potential light rail in the borough. The busway is proposed in the GMITA papers as going along the same alignment to Bredbury (where the blue line joins the rail line) and the north towards Hyde.

Then there's the GM Rail Strategy suggestion of tram-trains to Glossop, Rose Hill via Hyde, and the Styal line, as well as eventually to Glazebrook and Rochdale via Castleton. And of course the tram-trains to Chester and Crewe via Northwich (not sure who suggested that) and Altrincham to Stockport.

That's a lot of nonexistant infrastructure.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 01:06 AM   #77
MarkO

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatonparkincakes View Post

So far its

Add further if you wish.
How about the 1974 three-line "rapid-transit" proposals (inlcuding some underground!!!)

And not forgetting the ill-fated "Picc-Vic"

Old February 2nd, 2010, 01:18 AM   #78
Cherguevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
How about the 1974 three-line "rapid-transit" proposals (inlcuding some underground!!!)

Picc-Vic already has it's wikipedia page though.

Was anything ever decided about the other 70s rapid transit lines other than their aproximate route? Were they going to be buses, trams or what? It's interesting that nothing has been proposed for any of those corridors (except the south of the Wythenshawe one) 40 years later.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 10:18 AM   #79
Motortownman

Location: Salford, near Manchester as opposed to Manchester near Salford.
Likes (Received): 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
But wouldn't it be better sited on the corner of Nell Lane perhaps???
It is on the Nell Lane corner Mark. It's the map that isn't correct. The land is sitting there waiting ...fenced off.

Think they made a good decision not putting a stop at the back of Arrowfield Road. It's a crime haven down there which is why the bus doesn't have a terminus there any longer after the epsidode with the gun being pointed at a driver and the knives.
Motortownman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 10:43 PM   #80
Johnny de Rivative
. . . heard it second

Johnny’s Big Bang

EAST MANCHESTER LINE PART 8

Edge Lane

Up the Hill and Over the Border, laying the rails for a brand New Order

<> Ashton New Road <> Schofield Street <> Crabtree Lane <> Mayne’s Garage <> Tameside Boundary <> Halfway House <> Edge Lane <> Manor Road <> Manchester Road Droylsden <> Cooper Street <>

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1297&page=4#80

xx images, updated to xxxx

Looking West down Ashton New Road towards Clayton and Manchester from the borders of Droylsden in 1932, six years before the end of the original tramways in this area :-

Clayton and Edge Lane are about a mile apart – quite a long way for a street tramway. The original trams and the trolleybuses which succeeded them along here between 1938 and 1966 will have made half a dozen stops up and down the steady climb between the two. The buses still do, 50 years on. But while the new Metrolink was also initially preoccupied in the 1990s with re-creating the local penetration achieved by the previous tramways, it wrestled with something of a split identity, being mainly a light railway. No doubt prompted by this ‘selling point’ someone evidently suggested an intermediate stop half-way between the two at Schofield Street, which briefly appeared on early diagrams :-

Diagram

This was Schofield Street in 1920, with the original rails in the setts of Ashton New Road :-

Fifty years back in time, it was all mods & trolleybuses at Edge Lane – and the neat little black & white building in the centre was a Corporation Transport traffic and parcels office, overseeing an important turnback revolve for Trolleybuses on short workings back to Manchester. The office dates back to the original tramways, which gave way to the trolleybuses on 31.3.1938.

The maroon bus belonged to A Mayne in an earlier livery. Mayne’s was a popular local firm whose garage was further back behind the camera on Ashton New Road. (Quadrophenia! - Following the bus is an original 1960's ‘mod’ on a Honda or Lambretta, and I think a grey Mini Cooper van?) :-

From the same viewpoint in 2002 – trolleybus wires are long gone, but the imminent return of electrical infrastructure is blighting a number of structures: the little office; the houses behind it; the phone box, and the former bank on the corner. Part of the gateway flags marking the Tameside boundary (to be removed during construction but due to return) are just visible on the right :-

Here’s a side view of the former transport office, long closed by then, and the first of the houses, looking too good to be demolished :-

And the Trustee Savings Bank looking back West towards Manchester :-

The doomed houses in about 2000 :-

thanks Loweskid

In December 2002 Alistair Darling gave the full go-ahead to the Big Bang Phase 3, and demolition started in earnest :-

Looking West from Cooper Street :-

The same spot after he changed his mind again in 2004 and cancelled it all. This ‘Village Green’ effect lasted for another five years or so until yet another u-turn changed the plans once again! :-

There are a number of excellent greasy spoons around Edge Lane crossroads – the Clayton Café, the Celery Stick, and dozens of restaurants and take-aways of all nationalities. Prominent at the top of the hill and next to the bank on the corner is Pam’s Café, seen here in January 2008 – from within you get a good view of all the circulating traffic, here including A. Mayne’s buses, which were in their last days of plying the area at that time. The café also closed during the recession, but has now re-opened again as The Corner Café, so it will soon be an order for a full English followed by regular Banana splits! :-

Also in January 2008 Mayne’s bus garage, a bit lower down the hill just into Clayton, was ready for demolition - another martyr to privatisation :-

For a good fifteen years GMPTE’s well-publicised plans for Edge Lane tramstop looked like this, in fact very different from what finally emerged :-

The station was to have been on the North side of the two-way main road, as shown in this visual from 2003 :-

However, by 2009 there had been a change of thinking, no doubt with the benefit of hindsight in relation to the benefits of minimising curvatures and the experience of intermixing modern traffic flows with 21st century light rail systems. I suspect that one example of this may have been the 2004 controversy which emerged in Nottingham (Hyson Green) in relation to the noise from tight rail curves immediately in front of dwelling houses. In any event, both here and at Droylsden itself, the platforms were moved from planned reservations on the North sides, to islands in the centre of newly-created dual carriageways. These new arrangements bring the benefits of easier rail curve radii, giving less wear and tear as well as reducing potential tyre noise; and removing 2x conflicting road/rail traffic crossover movements, replacing them with simple merge and non-conflicting diverge arrangements :-

The ‘Little Bang’, Phase 3a (Chorlton, Droylsden and Rochdale Railway Station) had been re-instated in 2007, but then the whole 2-year tendering process had to be repeated, so in March 2009 all was still quiet :-

Then in September 2009, the first ‘breach of the green’ occurred - something’s coming at last! :-

The Trustee Savings Bank building on the corner of Edge Lane lasted a lot longer than the other buildings. Here it is in June 2008 – the workman is sealing off utilities next door prior to demolition :-

By July 2009, the bank had lost its smaller neighbour, a former plastering contractors :-

But by September 2009 the bank too was on its way :-

And in November 2009 it had gone, revealing a wider aubade of the Pennine hills to prospective tram passengers :-

Alan’s café next door to the former bank then gained a gable end, and by August 2010, like the sepulchre of old, it had been whited (but not written on as yet . . .) :-

Prior to the General Election in 2010, it had been announced that the Metrolink Phase 3b ‘accelerated’ extensions to Ashton-under-Lyne and East Didsbury were now finally “funded”. The Phase 3a line as far as Droylsden was already half built, and the new Coalition government later undertook to honour all the previous commitments. Here is a link to a Winter ‘fly-through’ sequence at that time, of all of the Future Metrolink route in the Metropolitan Borough of Tameside, taken from the top of a bus in January 2010 just before construction began:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1297&page=2#35

Tramway construction at Edge Lane 2010 - 2012:

Leaving Clayton Hall and heading up the hill, this is the beginning of the first street tramway proper to be constructed since the opening of Eccles New Road in 2000. In December 2009 the rails make their first strike out East :-

January 2010 the first bit of rail is paved and completed :-

Meanwhile, back at Edge Lane, by March 2010 Construction was set to commence in earnest :-

April 2010, beginning to look smart :-

May 2010 breaching the boundary :-

June 2010 a look back down towards Clayton :-

July 2010, this was the former site of A Mayne’s bus garage, now c21 shopping outlets :-

By August 2010 nothing was left of the ‘green space’, apart from the surrounding countryside :-

The road layout has been dualled and re-arranged, and workmen (& women?) have taken up residence in their little house on the prairie :-

September 2010 the summit comes into sight :-

And the Tameside track was comin’ on over the hill :-

Followed in November 2010 by a Guntert und Zimmerman paving machine :-

November 2010 the complete layout :-

“Steaming up Clayton, a steady climb – the gradient’s against her, but she’s on time!” - surmounting the hill, and up and away out of Manchester :-

March 2011 – the snaking metals are halfway to Ashton :-

April 2011 and away go some of the last vestiges of the old days :-

And after that the alignment had a clear run Eastward Ho to the hills! :-

May 2011 the first platforms arrive :-

June 2011 overhead is coming . . . red poles for Droylsden :-

. . . and silver poles for Clayton. July 2011 :-

Edge Lane station gets a roof :-

A busy scene in August 2011 as new poles and old lamp-posts proliferate :-

Span wires in September 2011 :-

A Hopper-esque scene in October 2011, the end of the beginning? :-

Something yellow this way comes . . .

The Autumn leaves . . .

December 2011, looking a bit more smart & tidy :-

Then a bit of history briefly re-emerged! Like the post-war trolleybuses, the original tramways had short workings at this point prior to 1938, but instead of revolving in the middle of the main road, they had used a headshunt on the North side along Manor Road. During the construction of Metrolink in 2011 some of the original pointwork was uncovered for just a few hours before being scrapped or buried again :-

We only have to go back 45 years to find overhead wires in this area, as the trolleybuses ended on 30.12.1966. However, in February 2012 they are about to appear again – the bracket arms arrived this month, showing us the tin man’s hats on red poles for the first time :-

The first copper running wires arrived overnight on 8th March 2012 :-

Later in March 2012 the running wires became double :-

Does Metrolink bring regeneration? Well, the gutted wreck of a shop next door to the Halfway House, derelict for many years, is at long last being done up :-

March 2012 the first section of street tramway between Clayton and Edge Lane is complete again! :-

May 2012, the final product, looking back down to Clayton :-

May 2012 Wires over the boundary :-

Throughout all this upheaval, the Halfway House, a fine old Joseph Holt Manchester pub (and the scene of my 21st birthday in 1969!), has continued to stand serene and dominant on the opposite corner :-

Can’t wait for my next birthday!

(Street testing

Continues in Part 7 http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...297&page=6#117

Last edited by Johnny de Rivative; October 5th, 2014 at 01:22 PM.
Johnny de Rivative no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: