daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Urban Renewal and Redevelopment Bringing new life into old buildings and neighbourhoods

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 25th, 2010, 02:50 AM   #21
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21139

A building code probably exists(ed), but enforcement and adherence is a completely different story.

Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2010, 10:03 PM   #22
Norkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

I have thought about something a bit different.. rebuild it, why not, but it shouldn't be a priority. Imho better would be to move capital to some other and more safe place (is there any on the island?), maybe Mirebalais or Hinche, thus effectively moving many folks out of the slums in PP and then start to rebuild it.. Having all population concentrated to one city makes any country vulnerable..
I know, it's not very realistic though
Norkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 01:17 AM   #23
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 1355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
But Haiti is one of the poorest countries in the world, any country, no matter how poor, needs some development once in a while. Any redevelopment plans for the city are gonna be costly.
I'm aware that Haiti can't afford earthquake-resistant buildings and therefore I proposed moving the capital to a less dangerous area. The buildings and the whole infrastructure have to be built up again anyway. And many government buildings are in ruins too, so basically regarding costs it wouldn't make such a difference. However another forumer pointed out that the whole Island is completely on the fault line, so it probably wouldn't make any difference anyway where the new buildings are being built.

I think the idea of putting inhabitable containers is a good one to get the people out of the emergency tents into a more solid form of living. Another advantage could be that these containers (not stacked up of course) probably wouldn't collapse so easily in an earthquake as they are not attached (or rather loosely attached) to the ground unlike houses. These containers however can only be a solution for a part of the population. housing up to 2 million people in them would create a massive and ugly sprawl.

Last edited by DiggerD21; January 26th, 2010 at 01:27 AM.
DiggerD21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 02:18 AM   #24
bayviews

Likes (Received): 51

For better or worse, Port Au Prince has “developed” in mostly informal, more ad-hoc, manner, much more so even than in most other large Caribbean cities. Of course its nice to think of laying out a earthquake & disaster proof plan, with all the proper codes, for the city’s rebuilding.

But given past experience, my guess is that given the obvious limitations of the Haitian government, Port au Prince will be rebuilt, house-by-house, street-by-street. Primarily on the initiatives of its residents & regardless of whether or not there’s any “master plan.”

If there’s any saving grace, its that the “rebuilding” of Port au Prince could happen much faster than we think. Much faster than in say New Orleans, where all the best plans laid out by the world’s brightest planners & designers have proceeded at a snails pace.
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 07:51 AM   #25
edubejar

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
In crime- and poverty-ridden places like Port-au-Prince, srepading people around a larger area makes it easir to crack down on gangs, traffic and unhealthy "local" crimelords. Any State, no matter how poor, has an advantage over criminal subjects trying to establish geographical control.
I thought about that too once until I realized that some of the worse gangs are in suburban California and Southwestern cities in single-family neighborhoods as well as low-density type of development in El Salvordor (Central America), home to some of the worse gangs. A lot of the low-income, subsidized housing in California and Texas are duplexes or detached houses and the like and that hasn't stop some of the worse gangs from breeding there.
edubejar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 12:50 PM   #26
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21139

Still, LA Metro crime problem can be more easily avoided and controlled than NYC 80's crime wave, when gangs where fighting each other do death a dozen blocks from Central Park.

If you have decent income, it is far easier to isolate yourself from problems in LA than it was in NYC 20 years ago. But let's go not off-topic, sorry for this post
Old January 30th, 2010, 12:02 AM   #27
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 844

Some factory was the only building in or near Port au Prince that survived the earthwuake intact.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2010, 10:35 PM   #28
monkeyronin
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґơɲiɲ

Likes (Received): 876

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
I think its a good idea...as with an earth quake, if your just in single story home there aint as much to fall on you...
Whether its one floor or two or seven falling, it'll still kill anyone underneath it. And modern high-rises are some of the most earth quake-resistant structures around. As Bobdreamz mentioned, whats most important are building codes taking into account the seismic activity of the region - which all (formal) construction should adhere to whether its a one-storey single-family house or a 20-storey high-rise apartment.
monkeyronin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 12:36 PM   #29
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norkey View Post
I have thought about something a bit different.. rebuild it, why not, but it shouldn't be a priority. Imho better would be to move capital to some other and more safe place (is there any on the island?), maybe Mirebalais or Hinche, thus effectively moving many folks out of the slums in PP and then start to rebuild it.. Having all population concentrated to one city makes any country vulnerable..
I know, it's not very realistic though
The Haitian government ( yes, there is such a thing ) has now come out in favor of rebuilding PaP for only half the previous 3 million population. As a city of 1.5 million, it would be easier to maintain order in situations like this but how long would that population remain so low? Now you have to build cities outside of Pap for the other 1.5 mln while reconstructing the capital. I seriously doubt this will happen soon, or to anyone's satisfaction.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote