daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old July 2nd, 2012, 06:17 PM   #621
Adrian_Swall

Likes (Received): 31

Was the SSC 'glitch' to do with the leap second on Sunday morning at one a.m.

Earth slowing on its rotation round the sun.

Other websites experienced problems.
Adrian_Swall no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:26 PM   #622
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 515

This was also asked on the Mod forums, and Dai responded immediately . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by grofBombelles View Post
Does this problem possibly have a connection with leap-second insertion which has happened on midnight?

http://gizmodo.com/5922684/why-the-i...ast-nightagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiTengu View Post
no :p
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 12:28 AM   #623
merleb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiTengu View Post
argh, that makes me sound like I wear a collared shirt & tie to some drab office every day!

(the problem should be fixed now!)

Do you have to have that swearword in your title?

I thought profanity was discouraged here?
merleb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 10:15 AM   #624
Percy Trimmer
Modern Antiquarian

Likes (Received): 42

The story of Tynemouth station(s) has recently been added to the Blyth and Tyne section of the Disused Railways site. (Click on the map.)
Percy Trimmer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 02:12 PM   #625
UrbanDoctor

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Hi U/D,

Good to hear from you again.

We have this thread here where forum members comment (or submit comments to planning) about Planning Applications . .

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1109575

Would this be a suitable location for you to use?

Or, when you say "where would such a thread be placed?" - do you mean, a new thread on this forum - or somewhere else?

Thanks.
Hi thanks for getting back to me,

That would be a suitable location if its OK with you. My only concern is that my request relates to a hypothetical proposal, and i wonder if people would think otherwise if it was placed within such a thread.

I am happy to create a new thread, if you are ok with this.

Whatever you feel is best / most appropriate.

Regards

UD
UrbanDoctor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 05:53 PM   #626
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanDoctor View Post
Hi thanks for getting back to me,

That would be a suitable location if its OK with you. My only concern is that my request relates to a hypothetical proposal, and i wonder if people would think otherwise if it was placed within such a thread.

I am happy to create a new thread, if you are ok with this.

Whatever you feel is best / most appropriate.

Regards

UD

Yes, it may be best as a new thread.

Perhaps, if we find it doesn't 'take off' it could be merged at a later date.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 06:18 PM   #627
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy Trimmer View Post
The story of Tynemouth station(s) has recently been added to the Blyth and Tyne section of the Disused Railways site. (Click on the map.)

Just to let people know that the above excellent Website (mentioned by Ken as having just been updated) is one of many that can always be accessed via "Section 09" of the WEBSITES LISTING THREAD, near the top of our forum.

For information.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 06:27 PM   #628
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
This link might come in handy - its to a site that has a map of Northumberland rivers - http://www.northumberlandscapes.co.u...ries/index.php

Added to Section 09 of the Websites Listing Thread, today.

Thanks Steve.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 06:36 PM   #629
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken O'Heed View Post
It appears that the Durham Miner Mapping service which is linked into a few other links/sites included in this forum has been deleted from the web and replaced with an alternative.

It looks as if this is the new system http://gis.durham.gov.uk/website/interMAP/viewer.htm

This text from Durham County Council site

Durham County Council's Geographic Information System (GIS) is an interactive mapping service which we have developed to enhance our website.

The GIS allows you to interact with both modern and historical maps of County Durham and the immediate surrounding areas.

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. Ordnance Survey LA 100049055

Maps are for identification purposes only and must not be used for scaling or formal documentation.

Seems to be near identical to former system with historical maps back to 1856 - 1865 however an addition is "Aerial Photography 2001" ( only for Durham County area)

I have checked and it goes at least up to Widdrington in Northumberland ( and possibly further north)

Like the previous version it is a very useful tool for obtaining historical map information

KEN

Thanks for the above Ken.

I have today deleted all references and links to "Durham Miners Maps" from Section 09 of the Websites Listing Thread.

The following links remain on there, filed under "D" for Durham and under "M" for MAPS, in Section 09 . . .

DURHAM GEOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION SYSTEM (GIS) - INTERACIVE MAPPING AROUND THE N E REGION
http://gis.durham.gov.uk/website/interMAP/viewer.htm

Old July 5th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #630
UrbanDoctor

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Yes, it may be best as a new thread.

Perhaps, if we find it doesn't 'take off' it could be merged at a later date.
Yes i agree, if it doesnt take off i am happy for it be merged elsewhere

Regards

UD
UrbanDoctor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 11:14 AM   #631
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian; 5th July 2012
I now have the "definitive" view on the recent "Copyright" questions about posting images from the Britain from Above website, from as senior as you can get within SSC.

I Don't have time to post it now, but I will post it this afternoon.

I will then COPY the guidance into the "Photography" thread and into the "Admin" thread, for ease of finding in the future . . .

Copyright and SSC - Guidance on use of "Britain from Above" images.

Slightly delayed from yesterday, but here it is.

This guidance (in response to my enquiry on the Mod Forums, 'copied in' at Post 2971 on here) is from one of the two originators and owners of
Skyscraper City . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform View Post
hmmmm hard question to answer. there is no fair dealing for photographs in the UK... however if they are over 70 years old you can argue that copyright doesn't subsist in the images.

Quote:
The BritainfromAbove website is open for all people to use as it is provided. That free use is limited to personal, individual and educational use.
Did you know skyscrapercity is a non profit?

secondly did you know that its corporate HQ is in the netherlands, and that the servers are in the USA.

As the servers are in the USA they can't do anything except issue a DMCA notice which gives us protection. we act on complaints when we receive them, as one would expect us to do under american law.

so the correct answer is, SSC is located in the USA, British copyright law doesn't apply over there, American copyright law does.

We follow the digital millennium copyright act as is our legal obligation.

My final thought is this - if something that is supposedly owned by the nation has such pissy and absurd terms of use i would personally not bother with them to start with. yes, i am petty and vindictive but i see no reason why we should contribute massively to their google ranking, and send them thousands of visitors when they want us to PAY for it. we paid for it already with our taxes.

Quote:

Thanks, I will pass this on to the forum.

I know what you mean about the "Google ranking" etc, but it is quite a good site, so I will leave it up to members if they wish to post images, but at least we now don't have to worry about the legal implications for SSC.

Quote:
yeah, don't worry about it. it's an utter indictment of british copyright law that sites like this could not exist in the UK. google and facebook and so on actually complain copyright law here is so absurd they would be unable to operate here.
Quote:

for purposes of SSC this is the relevant law -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgem..._v._Corel_Corp.

British law is in no way relevant to Skyscraper City, the SSC site is hosted in america and owned by a dutch corporation.

British law may be relevant to individual posters and their liability, but that isn't our problem.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; August 7th, 2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old July 6th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #632
newcastlepubs
Pubwatcher

Likes (Received): 259

So to give a non legal summary that's don't worry about it then .

An acquaintance relies on something similar; hoisting on servers overseas and having the company registered outside of the UK. The costs and the jurisdictional problems are so great that it's not worth the hassle of doing anything about it [though that doesn't mean it's 'legal']

Copyright is off my patch [completely different postcode in fact] but very broadly the USA also operates on the 70yr rule as does the UK.

Thanks for chasing this NH. Is there any merit in posting something to the effect of:

Skyscrapercity is a non profit entity Its corporate HQ is in the netherlands, and servers are in the USA. As SSC is located in the USA, British copyright law doesn't apply, American copyright law does.

Somewhere in an admin thread?
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 02:37 PM   #633
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlepubs View Post

An acquaintance relies on something similar; hoisting on servers overseas and having the company registered outside of the UK. The costs and the jurisdictional problems are so great that it's not worth the hassle of doing anything about it [though that doesn't mean it's 'legal']

Copyright is off my patch [completely different postcode in fact] but very broadly the USA also operates on the 70yr rule as does the UK.

Thanks for chasing this NH. Is there any merit in posting something to the effect of:

Skyscrapercity is a non profit entity Its corporate HQ is in the netherlands, and servers are in the USA. As SSC is located in the USA, British copyright law doesn't apply, American copyright law does.

Yes, good idea.

I intend to post it into the Admin Thread and on the Photography Thread, for reference.

The main thing is though, it will be linked from the INDEX Thread (along with all the other Copyright Guidance we have around the forum) under "C" for Copyright.

So, it will always be easy to find.
Old July 6th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #634
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 793

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlepubs View Post

Seems to be a 'read between the lines' sort of a response from the site owners but I suppose if the above sections are incorporated into any postings of linked images back to the Britain from the Air site it should suffice.

At least we have a 'policy' in place

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #635
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Likes (Received): 46

Re: discussion of the potential risk of infringing somone's Copyright by posting on here.
Quote:
I now have the "definitive" view on this from as senior as you can get within SSC.

. . . .

I will then COPY the guidance into the "Photography" thread and into the "Admin" thread, for ease of finding in the future . . .[/I]
I should add that the generally sound advice given by gothicform does not apply precisely in all cases.

1. The period of time after a person's death in which their estate may continue to benefit from the deceased's Intellectual Property may apply in simple cases of a private and personal work (such as a letter or photograph), although it does assume that someone had been appointed by the deceased Rights' Holder to collect any royalties and/or to prevent publication on behalf of their estate, trust, etc..
That arrangement does not usually apply to an individual's private photgraphs or writings once probate is granted.

2. Professional creative people normaly will appoint someone to collect their Royalties and/or to prevent publication. Most Solicitors in this field will advise taking steps to extend the territories in which Royalties can be collected and/or publication can be prevented. Thus liability to royalties or prohibition on copying can extend across those nations who are signatories to the Berne Convention. Solicitors may even propose strategies to extend the period of the ownership, the Term of Copyright beyond the 70 years, such as passing the ownership and value to a Company (which is expected to last longer than the person); re-publishing a work can often 'rejuvenate' a work.

3. People taking photographs or writing in the course of employment or under instruction from a commanding officer are not the Rights Holder, and therefore their own death or their own nationality may be immaterial. The rights' holder may be a Corporate body or a State. Many historic images may be in this category.

4. The rights that people are automatically granted when writing or taking photographs not only allows them to claim a fee for copying, or to prevent publication, but they include the right to give away their work without restriction (and having done so they will not then be able to prevent any further use or copying), though they would retain the moral right to be named as the original creator. Exceptionally, but famously, even their moral right to be named can be given away or sold at any time, irrecoverably (as did a young man in Jesmond to the benefit of a globally renowned singer).

Works produced during employment can become free of restriction once the Corporate body has been dissolved. It does not revert to the original creator. Works owned by a state which is absorbed into another state will normally transfer to the inheriting nation. If the inherting nation is not a Berne signatory (e.g. Russian Federation) then rights are apparently, though not clarified by Judgement, lost.

Last edited by DXNewcastle; July 6th, 2012 at 11:11 PM. Reason: more detail
DXNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #636
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Here is Gothics reply to the above . . .

Quote:

for purposes of SSC this is the relevant law -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgem..._v._Corel_Corp.

British law is in no way relevant to this site, this site is hosted in america and owned by a dutch corporation.

British law may be relevant to individual posters and their liability, but that isn't our problem.
Old July 13th, 2012, 11:23 PM   #637
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

A note, today, from NewcastleStu on the Skybar, has reminded me that I haven't posted the below useful information, for some time.

Basically, if you are specifically interested in a particular type or category of thread (eg, 'Projects' or 'Historic' or whatever) then you can just click one of the below TAGS and a complete list of all that type of threads will be called up.

You can then easily move between the various threads of that one type . . .

Newcastle Forum - Group TAGs

Sometimes it is useful to group our threads into "types" of thread, to more easily move from one thread to another, of that type.

1 - The easiest example to illustrate this is our Project Threads . . .

I know most of you are aware that you can compile a complete list of those by clicking on the TAG (at the bottom of all Project Threads) that says
Project - Newcastle Area and that you will then end up with a complete list of Newcastle Forum Projects.

Project - Newcastle Area
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/tags.p...newcastle+area

But, did you also know that other groups of Newcastle Forum Threads can also be called up, by clicking on the following TAGs . . .

2 - For our 'Area Developments' threads, click the following TAG at the bottom of any one of our Developments Threads . . .

Developments (Newc Area)
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/tags.p...28newc+area%29

3 - For all our 'Retail' threads, click the following TAG at the bottom of any one of our Retail Threads . . .

Newcastle Retail
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/tags.p...wcastle+retail

4 - For all our 'Historic' threads, click the following TAG at the bottom of any one of our Historic-type threads . . .

Historic Newcastle
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/tags.p...oric+newcastle

5 - For all our 'Transport related' threads, click the following TAG at the bottom of any one of our Transport Threads . . .

Newcastle Transport
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/tags.p...stle+transport

Hope you find this information useful.

Please let me know if you would like any other 'thread groups' to be made available?
Old July 15th, 2012, 09:07 AM   #638
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

100,000 Posts . . .

Today (15th July 2012) we passed the 100,000 Posts Milestone, here on the "North East England Sub-forum" of Skyscraper City . . .

If you look at the main UK & Ireland Architecture Forums page

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29

Or, at the main Projects & Construction page

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57

You can see this for yourself . . .

14th October 2009 - 15th July 2012 . . .

We started off with a body of pre-existing posts (on our various old "Full Summary of Projects" threads, etc) but most of the 100,000 posts have happened since we got together as a Major Regional Sub-forum (covered by the above dates) on 14th October 2009.

Various other 'Key Milestones' (for the Sub-forum or the individual forums within it) are listed on the below Index Thread under "S". Just tab down until you get to 'Skyscraper City' . . .

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...1&postcount=57

HERE'S TO THE NEXT 100,000 . . .

Old July 20th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #639
inmh88
Urban Myth

Likes (Received): 2

NH, here's a web link to a newly formed architectural organisation called "NE DRES" North East Design Review and Enabling Service.

"North East Design Review and Enabling Service (NE DRES) is an organisation set up to achieve high design quality in the built environment around the North East.
NE DRES provides expert, constructive, impartial advice to developers, planning authorities and other agencies. NE DRES provides advice on the architecture, landscape, urban design and climate change impacts of master plans and development proposals.

The remit of NE DRES is to help raise design aspirations and encourage adoption of more consistent design standards across the North East of England.

NE DRES is part of the Design Council CABE affiliated Design Review Network and is hosted by a partnership between RIBA North East and Northern Architecture.

NE DRES was previously run by Ignite, the Regional Centre for Excellence part of One North East."

I believe the website went live only a few days ago.

Read more:
http://www.ne-dres.co.uk

One to add to the web site links index!
inmh88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #640
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmh88 View Post
NH, here's a web link to a newly formed architectural organisation called "NE DRES" North East Design Review and Enabling Service.

"North East Design Review and Enabling Service (NE DRES) is an organisation set up to achieve high design quality in the built environment around the North East.
NE DRES provides expert, constructive, impartial advice to developers, planning authorities and other agencies. NE DRES provides advice on the architecture, landscape, urban design and climate change impacts of master plans and development proposals.

The remit of NE DRES is to help raise design aspirations and encourage adoption of more consistent design standards across the North East of England.

NE DRES is part of the Design Council CABE affiliated Design Review Network and is hosted by a partnership between RIBA North East and Northern Architecture.

NE DRES was previously run by Ignite, the Regional Centre for Excellence part of One North East."

I believe the website went live only a few days ago.

Read more:
http://www.ne-dres.co.uk

One to add to the web site links index!

A very interesting new website indeed!

I have added it to the Websites Listing Thread, as follows . .

- To Section 02 (Architectural Organisations) and
- To Section 09 (Local Interest)

Cheers.

Tags
admin, forum changes, ideas, moderation, moderator messages, newcastle, north east england, suggestions, thread title changes