daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 17th, 2010, 10:10 PM   #81
SCNewcastle

Likes (Received): 0

Is there a reason why there doesn't seem to be a thread about the RVI redevelopment? I vaguely remember someone mentioning in a post some while back that they disliked the Children's Hospital - which I think is really rather exciting (and certainly much better than the dreary Leazes Wing which was the last addition) - though tastes differ - but I don't remember much other discussion. The construction programme is currently going through a rather dramatic phase, with much more of the old hospital disappearing than I'd realised was going to go.

I guess everyone may just have got bored with it because of the glacial pace of NHS construction programmes...?
SCNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 17th, 2010, 10:16 PM   #82
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 215

I seem to remember it being mentioned in the old single thread a few times, but as we all know conversations never really lasted on there. Fortunatly it changed in the form of getting our own Sub-Forum which is getting better as it goes on and I can only see positive things for it in the future.

Anyway maybe we shouldn't have a thread on that project since it has now been complete but if we start to hear more informaton about the other NHS schemes we have then maybe it will be owrth cosidering creating a NHS thread.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 10:33 PM   #83
SCNewcastle

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
Anyway maybe we shouldn't have a thread on that project since it has now been complete
It's only the Children's Hospital that's (almost) complete - it looks as if there's quite a lot more going to happen on the rest of the site, where demolition is currently under way - though the renders suggest it'll be much duller than the first phase. (But the renders of the Children's Hospital don't look as good to me as the real building.)
SCNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #84
TownPlanningNE

Likes (Received): 1

Perhaps it would be an idea to have a Newcastle Hospitals thread or something to cover the said projects in?
Old April 18th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #85
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 569

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownPlanningNE View Post
Perhaps it would be an idea to have a Newcastle Hospitals thread or something to cover the said projects in?

I've got quite a few papers on the "Newcastle Hospitals building projects", should I set a thread up, starting with those papers as an introduction?
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 01:18 PM   #86
TownPlanningNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
I've got quite a few papers on the "Newcastle Hospitals building projects", should I set a thread up, starting with those papers as an introduction?
Yeah sounds like a good idea to me!
Old April 20th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #87
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Can I just say to NH, congrats on gaining your mod powers, it's been a long time comeing I bet you are plaesed the wait is finally over.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old April 20th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #88
b4mmy
★★★

Likes (Received): 246

Yes, welcome. It's been fun working with you guys I'm really very pleased with the set up on North East SSC. It's all very clean and everyone gets along very well. It's a lovely example of SSC at it's best.

Good luck folks, and see you in other SSC spaces soon...

b4mmy
b4mmy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 04:26 PM   #89
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4mmy View Post
Yes, welcome. It's been fun working with you guys I'm really very pleased with the set up on North East SSC. It's all very clean and everyone gets along very well. It's a lovely example of SSC at it's best.

Good luck folks, and see you in other SSC spaces soon...

b4mmy
A big thank you must go to you aswell B4mmy, you helped us get this Sub-Forum up and running, and helped us from before day 1, you have taken an aweful lot of your time to help fix things around the whole Sub-Forum and not just the Newcastle section. We thank you for that, now though I bet you are glad that you will be able to have a little more time on your hands.

Once again thank you B4mmy.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old April 20th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #90
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 102

Yup, cheers B4mmy for helping to get the forum set up - it really has increased and improved at an incredible rate.

So Historian's a mod now? It seems deserved and logical, well done Historian! You just have to learn one phrase first though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIVHNylH1Mk
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #91
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Likes (Received): 30

Congrats NH, echoing the comments, very well deserved.

And an advance request in case my mouth runs away with me at a later date on some contentious issue... Please don't ban me
toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 07:40 PM   #92
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Thanks for the above guys.

I wasn’t aware that the news was ‘out’ (though I had told Chris) but I see my name is now in italics (a give-away!) as well as now included within the list of mods at the bottom of the threads list.

The offer to become a mod came as a total surprise to me, I have to say.

Myself and Chris (with the help of many others on here) have done a lot of work behind the scenes since the forum was set up, though the biggest task was to get the forum set up in the first place!

Via our mod, b4mmy, we have managed to keep the place going, in such a way, that it all seems to have fallen into place quite naturally.

But, when I was contacted by Gothic last Friday, it didn’t take me long to agree to become a mod of this excellent forum. This forum really is such an excellent place. Everyone seems to get on together and each and every one of us has done such a lot of work to make it a success (and "Newcastle encyclopaedia” that it has already become) in only its first six months of existence!

We ALL deserve the credit for that.

So, I will still be the same ‘poster’ that I have always been, but I now have an additional role to play, on behalf of SSC.

As the mod for this forum, I actually hope you don’t notice I am around very much at all (in that capacity) but that things continue to run as smoothly as they have done so far.

I will of course, though, now be specifically available to help in whatever way I can. This will (from now on) apply equally to the other three forums on the North East sub-forum, so I will be dropping them all a short ‘note’ (similar to this one) shortly.

So, everyone, please contact me via the ‘naming and moving posts’ thread or on the Skybar, or (even better) by “PM”, whenever you need or want to do so.

I will put a copy of this note on our "FEEDBACK & HOUSEKEEPING" thread, so that everyone sees it.

Once again, a hearty thank you to b4mmy for all the help in the past, and . . . “here’s to the future”!!
Old April 20th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #93
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 102

AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 11:25 PM   #94
anonymous1

Likes (Received): 19

Well done NH!

And by the way, are you allowed in the Savoy Bar and Grill now?
anonymous1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 11:53 PM   #95
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

When I get the tie!
Old April 21st, 2010, 01:55 AM   #96
TownPlanningNE

Congratulations NH! Well deserved for the fantastic contribution you have made to this forum; long may it continue!
Old April 21st, 2010, 05:17 AM   #97
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 100

nice one NH, well deserved to be perfectly honest.

got to say, i am quite proud that this little forum of ours has grown from strength to strength after years of snobs telling us that it couldn't be done. just think, we went from a couple thousand posts in one thread to 21,000 in a short space of time. here's to 40,000 before long
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 12:17 AM   #98
BigLebowski

Likes (Received): 22

Nicely done NH, without you none of this would be happening. I too am amazed at the huge input across our many and varied projects, i think you'd be hard pushed to find a forum which combines such a healthy mix of experts (in so many different fields), interested parties and passionate locals as this one.

Charge your glasses.....cheers NH!
BigLebowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 12:42 AM   #99
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Thanks TPNE, Johnny and Big L. Your comments are very much appreciated!

The work of the mod is going to be interesting for me . . . certainly if the Downing thread latest is anything to go by!!
Old April 22nd, 2010, 03:21 AM   #100
Geordie Ahmed

Congrats NH - fully deserving. Im sure you will be equally as good a mod as you are a poster
Geordie Ahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
admin, forum changes, ideas, moderation, moderator messages, newcastle, north east england, suggestions, thread title changes