daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 3rd, 2010, 12:15 AM   #41
bixa louca

Likes (Received): 6

Well, let's see how Buddhism fares in Islamic lands shall we?

Before:

After:

I wonder how people of non-Islamic faiths are being treated in Islamic lands? Please save your vile dawah for other forums, Sir, like... Prison.

Not Respectfully,

Someone Who Loves Freedom

Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2010, 10:08 PM   #42
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 08:33 AM   #43
bagak
Rang Chaniago

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by bixa louca View Post

I wonder how people of non-Islamic faiths are being treated in Islamic lands? Please save your vile dawah for other forums, Sir, like... Prison.

Not Respectfully,

Ohhh Pliizzzzz come out of your cave and see the world...

Indonesia with 230 million moslems which make it the largest moslem country in the world, and see this :

Borobudur World's largest Buddhist tample.

Prambanan, Hindu tample

and thousands of others temples (Buddhist and Hindus)

PS: those mosques in Japan are beautiful....
Seorang pecundang mengatakan bahwa bangsa Minangkabau adalah bangsa pemimpi yang suka berpangku tangan, tapi kami bangsa Minangkabau berkata, ya kami adalah pemimpi, pemimpi untuk jadi besar dan sukses, itulah sebabnya kami punya tradisi dimana setiap anak lelaki diakhir baligh-nya akan berjalan meninggalkan tanah kelahirannya mencari jati diri dan posisi di masyarakat dan pemerintahan, dan torehan mimpi mimpi bangsa Minangkabau itu bisa dilihat dari sejarah bangsa ini hingga sekarang.

Last edited by bagak; February 7th, 2010 at 09:07 AM.
bagak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 10:43 AM   #44
(fabrizio)

Likes (Received): 3096

Indonesia's example sounds loud and clear I think. It's not Islam the problem, but certain extreme views of it - and the same goes for Christianity.
(fabrizio) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 02:15 PM   #45
Marathaman

Likes (Received): 6038

I guess Islam spread largely through missionaries in Indonesia...not via conquest. In India, the extreme southern tip had the same experience as Indonesia - largely peaceful preachers and merchants spread the religion, but the North faced conquerors which was quite destructive.

2019:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyer75 View Post
Next two years the economy will crumble and the stock markets will crash thanks to demon.
Marathaman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #46
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6274

I knew this thread would attract the racists at some point. It seems any sort of thread about anything vaguely connected to Islam, or Muslims or an Islamic country, even if its about a sodding new animal find to biologists, denigrates into bollocks. Its not like posting anything about a Christian country or Westerners degenerates into talking about the Gulf War or the KKK does it?

Why hasn't the thread on churches in Islamic countries not gone into the same geopolitical rivalry?

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=970006

Last edited by the spliff fairy; February 8th, 2010 at 11:59 AM.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 12:17 PM   #47
LordMarshall
Evil is a Point of View

Location: Banja Luka - San Francisco - Washington DC - Taipei - Damascus - Amman - Jakarta - Seoul
Likes (Received): 4986

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post
Because mosques are basically symbols of power. Thus it is in it's interest not to reflect to local architecture, but to impose new cultural traditions.
and a church in classical style would be what, a charitable endowment.

“The Roots of Violence: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Knowledge without character, Commerce without morality, Science without humanity, Worship without sacrifice, Politics without principles” - Mahatma Gandhi

LordMarshall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 12:19 PM   #48
LordMarshall
Evil is a Point of View

Location: Banja Luka - San Francisco - Washington DC - Taipei - Damascus - Amman - Jakarta - Seoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by bixa louca View Post

Before:

After:

Not Respectfully,

one example and its the Taliban far from universal example. so i should judge all nordic states as resurgent neo-fascist entities due to the growing xenophobic tendencies of the population

“The Roots of Violence: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Knowledge without character, Commerce without morality, Science without humanity, Worship without sacrifice, Politics without principles” - Mahatma Gandhi

Old February 8th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #49
LordMarshall
Evil is a Point of View

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
I knew this thread would attract the racists at some point. It seems any sort of thread about anything vaguely connected to Islam, or Muslims or an Islamic country, even if its about a sodding new animal find to biologists, denigrates into bollocks. Its not like posting anything about a Christian country or Westerners degenerates into talking about the Gulf War or the KKK does it?

Why hasn't the thread on churches in Islamic countries not gone into the same geopolitical rivalry?

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=970006

a simple picture of our time, Europe is moving away from enlightenment towards xenophobic militancy and we have see what that has done to the world. history is filled with bloody acts of european righteousness

Old February 8th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #50
Marathaman

Likes (Received): 6038

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMarshall View Post

2019:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyer75 View Post
Next two years the economy will crumble and the stock markets will crash thanks to demon.
Marathaman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 12:06 AM   #51
socrates#1fan

Quote:
a simple picture of our time, Europe is moving away from enlightenment towards xenophobic militancy and we have see what that has done to the world. history is filled with bloody acts of european righteousness
Talk about ignorant.

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
Old February 10th, 2010, 12:08 AM   #52
socrates#1fan

Quote:
Churches that used classical styles were more about blending with local culture.
Though the early Christian church was far from open minded, they did have to blend many European traditions with Abraham ones.
So, a classical church paid respect to the architecture of a region at the very least.

Old February 10th, 2010, 05:12 AM   #53
LordMarshall
Evil is a Point of View

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
Churches that used classical styles were more about blending with local culture.
Though the early Christian church was far from open minded, they did have to blend many European traditions with Abraham ones.
So, a classical church paid respect to the architecture of a region at the very least.
so a classical church in lets say in Manila, or somewhere in latin america ia blending in with the local cultures. the same cultures that the same church eradicated. now that my friend is ignorance and socrates would not be proud

Old February 10th, 2010, 05:16 AM   #54
LordMarshall
Evil is a Point of View

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
Talk about ignorant.
clarify how is it ignorant. has Europe unleashed the crusades, the inquisition, imperialism, colonialism, the holocaust, WW1, WW2, if this is not the history of Europe then i stand corrected. but my dear philosopher we all know what the history of our dear continent is. we all know what happened to indigenes cultures once our charitable brethren arrived. ignorance is ignoring it and standing on top of that hill and passing righteous judgment upon others.

so your point is just

Old February 10th, 2010, 10:53 PM   #55
socrates#1fan

Quote:
so a classical church in lets say in Manila, or somewhere in latin america ia blending in with the local cultures. the same cultures that the same church eradicated. now that my friend is ignorance and socrates would not be proud
Not in the colonial era, because classical isn't the local fashion.
In Rome and parts of Europe it was. Religious groups should adapt to the land they move to out of respect.

Today, it would blend in perfectly because European culture is pretty much a major part of Latin America.

Old February 10th, 2010, 11:01 PM   #56
socrates#1fan

Quote:
clarify how is it ignorant. has Europe unleashed the crusades, the inquisition, imperialism, colonialism, the holocaust, WW1, WW2, if this is not the history of Europe then i stand corrected. but my dear philosopher we all know what the history of our dear continent is. we all know what happened to indigenes cultures once our charitable brethren arrived. ignorance is ignoring it and standing on top of that hill and passing righteous judgment upon others.

so your point is just
It is, because it is the assumption that these things are unique to Europeans.
Do you think the rest of the world was just having a tea party before Europeans came around? No, they were killing each other just as much as Europeans were (look at the Aztecs).
Yes, our history is blood filled, but so is everyone else’s (that is the history of humanity), but it is also filled with beautiful and amazing things.

Native Americans you mean? I am in no way justifying the removal and killing of natives, I think it was wrong, but what about other Europeans? Hm? Like the French who blended quite well with native people. Plus, Native Americans were not exactly in this loving pack either, they were very diverse and often at war with each other.

War and slaughter is not justified, but it isn’t unique to Europeans.