daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation Ľ Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 12th, 2010, 12:45 AM   #81
Messi
Tinerci GenÁlik

Likes (Received): 2430

What's the big difference between A321 and B737 for a passenger?
Messi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2010, 11:06 AM   #82
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

Try the crmpiness of that A321 they use and then compare.

They have 2 - 3 daily flights to Dubai and they used to have a B737 before that was alright, but then they cramped the terrible A321 that is so tight in space that would make even a short regional flight a torture.

When they added the 2nd daily flight, a A340 started being used also, but the thing is THY doesn't know what plane they will use and their ticketing/booking information only lists the A321. Flying with them, which I do every year and will do it again soon, is like a box of chocolate, you don't know which plane you're gonna get ... in comparison the flight from IST to TIA has always been a breeze with the B737 and the huge wide leather seats and above average legroom.

... Oh, and don't let me start on sadden gate changes at IST Airport. There is not a single time in 11 years that the gate hasn't been changed at the last minute, especially for the flights to TIA, but those to DXB aren't excluded either. The visitors to Dubai I get, also tell me all the same story.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 07:18 PM   #83
Night Hawk
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Is turkish a state run airline?
Night Hawk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 09:52 PM   #84
AltinD
The Modecator

I think it is, but I'm not sure
I can cheat you blind.

Old September 12th, 2010, 10:05 PM   #85
[email protected]
Global Citizen

Likes (Received): 6408

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Any news on THY indefinitelly getting rid of the cattle crate A321 they use on one of their IST - DXB daily flights? Can't they only use A340 or even B737 on that route, is that to much to ask?
The problem isn't the A321, but rather the fact that THY crams so many seats in it. I've flown with the A321 a lot (Lufthansa, US Airways, China Southern, Iberia, Shanghai Airlines) and never felt uncomfortable.

Try flying with a CRJ900 if you really want to experience a claustrophobic cattle transport.
R@ptor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 10:11 PM   #86
AltinD
The Modecator

Of course the problem is not the plane model. I just want THY not use that particular plane with that particular configuration on the route.

Is a 4,5 - 5 hours night time journey, and is always full.
I can cheat you blind.

Old September 13th, 2010, 12:02 AM   #87
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4962

I dislike the fact taht they fly their 737 to Karachi. It's a 5-hour flights without IFE, not even in biz class. Only thing keeping me from flying THY.
Old September 13th, 2010, 12:28 AM   #88
AltinD
The Modecator

Turkish plans to launch budget flights to Dubai
Executive says carrier trying to cope with passenger flow to UAE

Aysee Misirli Mirza, Turkish Airlines' director for Dubai and Sri Lanka, says the carrier is planning to increase its flights to Dubai and Abu Dhabi.

Dubai: Turkish Airlines is planning to launch services of its low-cost subsidiary, AnadoluJet, in Dubai when it gets permission for additional flights to the UAE, a senior executive told Gulf News.

"We want to increase flights to the UAE ó both Dubai and Abu Dhabi ó as passenger traffic on the UAE-Istanbul sector is growing at a faster pace," Aysee Misirli Mirza, Turkish Airlines' director for Dubai and Sri Lanka, said in an interview.

"AnadoluJet would be able to start flights as soon as we get sufficient traffic rights to the UAE."

Currently a number of budget carriers including flydubai, Air India Express, and Jazeera Airways are serving Dubai, which is going to be the base of flydubai's operations.

No guarantee

Saj Ahmad, aerospace/airline analyst at the UK-based FBE Aerospace, said: "Its subsidiary will find life very difficult in Dubai. Firstly, there is no guarantee it will get slots in Dubai. Jazeera Airways was the last low-cost airline there [to use Dubai as a hub] and it didn't last long. With the presence of the world's fast-growing, low-cost airline, flydubai, the market will not only be crowded, but the unique position of flydubai means it will have much more capability to outprice and snare customers with its classier product."

Turkish currently operates 18 flights a week including 14 to Dubai and four to Abu Dhabi.

"It is entirely feasible that Sharjah and Abu Dhabi become prime choices ó neither of which are bad per se, but in terms of getting a decent footprint in Dubai rests largely [on] whether the airline is able to take more risks in expanding its operations to make its UAE services attractive enough to keep rivals at bay. Judging by the inherent success of Emirates and flydubai, this will not be an easy feat and it makes much more sense to go to other UAE cities where low cost competition is a little less pressurised," Ahmad said.

Mirza said she expects to expand the services to 21 flights to Dubai and seven to Abu Dhabi, before launching the low-cost services to the UAE.

"Our seat load factor has increased 7 per cent to 84 per cent this year and we have carried 129,404 during the first seven months of this year compared to 127,000 during the corresponding period last year," she said.

Services to the UAE have been profitable for the Turkish national carrier.

"Within the first seven months, we generated sales of 31 million euros [Dh144,769], up from 25 million euros during the same period last year," she said. "Profits for the first seven months crossed 4 million euros on the Dubai-Istanbul sector as there has been an increase in business class passengers."

She said Turkish is currently promoting destinations across its network of 165 destinations with a fleet of 142 aircraft via its hub Istanbul.

"Our services are becoming extremely popular to East European and Scandinavian destinations as we provide one of the best connectivities," Mirza said. The airline has placed orders for 105 aircraft that will help launch services to more destinations. It is in the process of starting flights to 10 destinations, including Washington, Los Angeles, Vietnam, Bologna, Basra, Erbil, Shiraj, Dhaka, Novosibriska and Podgorica.

Sales revenue

Established in 1933, the airline carried 25 million passengers last year, with 12,000 employees.

Despite the financial crisis, the airline remains profitable. According to Turkish Airlines' financial statements, the airline's sales revenue has increased by 28 per cent in monetary terms, reaching 1.8 billion euros during the first six months of 2010, while its net profit has increased by a staggering 181 per cent to 134 million euros. Operating profit, on the other hand, reached a total of 55 million euros, a 34 per cent decrease compared to the same period in 2009, which is attributed to a 74 per cent increase in fuel expenses.

The number of passengers carried increased by 19.3 per cent, reaching 13.4 million passengers.

Ahmad said: "Turkish Airlines has been one of the few carriers in Europe to continuously grow over the last few years for two key reasons. Firstly, Turkey has invested a lot of money in its tourism and leisure industries to snare European holidaymakers looking for a budget vacation in the wake of recessionary pressures on their income and secondly because Turkish Airlines has an excellent performance record matched with a superb cabin product.

"It is for this reason it has been continuously ordering jets from Airbus and Boeing to capture the huge market it has at its feet."

http://gulfnews.com/business/aviatio...dubai-1.681028

So replace completely that crap A321 with the A340 already
I can cheat you blind.

Old September 13th, 2010, 12:31 AM   #89
AltinD
The Modecator

BTW, I don't know why they say they have 14 flights a week to Dubai.

The 2 regulars start at around 8 PM and 11 PM from Istanbul, but there is a earlier one also, maybe it only does a stop-over to Dubai on the way to somewhere else.
I can cheat you blind.

Old September 13th, 2010, 01:37 AM   #90
Night Hawk
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
I dislike the fact taht they fly their 737 to Karachi. It's a 5-hour flights without IFE, not even in biz class. Only thing keeping me from flying THY.
what about their legendary "customer service" ?
Old September 14th, 2010, 04:49 AM   #91
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4962

They only customer service that'll make up for it is hot Turkish stewardesses giving me a membership to the Mile High Club.
Old September 14th, 2010, 05:23 AM   #92
Night Hawk
BANNED

I don't know as turkish people seem to be like pathans back home.
Old September 26th, 2010, 01:19 PM   #93
TAfixe77X

Likes (Received): 0

The new B77W:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/f18e777...n/photostream/

TAfixe77X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #94
TAfixe77X

The new Airbus 330-223F for Turkish Cargo:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Turkish-Airlines-Cargo/Airbus-A330-223F/1785958/L/&sid=854e7bb1601e2bce9aca0fba809ccb27
Old September 30th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #95
TAfixe77X

new Airbus 330 cabin interior

Interior of new Airbus 330 (link provided by "belumosi" in FlyerTalk and pictures by Abdullah Nergiz)

http://www.slideshare.net/anergiz/tr...ni-airbus-a330
Old October 8th, 2010, 03:20 AM   #96
Seyfo

I dont know why some are complaining about THY.
I allways fly THY and its perfect to me never had any problems at all!!!
Seyfo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #97
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2725

Turkish Airlines to choose between 747-8 and A380

Quote:
Turkish Airlines to choose between 747-8, A380

Turkish Airlines chairman Hamdi TopÁu said Wednesday the carrier will decide on a new large widebody jet order by year-end, choosing between Boeing's new 747-8 jumbo jet and the Airbus A380 superjumbo.

By Dominic Gates

Turkish Airlines chairman Hamdi TopÁu said Wednesday the carrier will decide on a new large widebody jet order by year-end, choosing between Boeing's new 747-8 jumbo jet and the Airbus A380 superjumbo.

TopÁu spoke at a delivery ceremony at the Future of Flight aviation center in Everett. Turkish Airlines picked up the first of a dozen 777-300ERs and flew it away to Istanbul with a large contingent of airline staff and families aboard.

He said a technical team is evaluating the two giant airplanes and should finalize its analysis by the end of November. If the carrier chooses the 747-8, he said, he'll order between 5 and 10 of the 467-seater jets. The A380 is a bigger airplane, seating about 555 passengers.

The 747-8 is listed for sale at $300 million. However, aircraft valuation firm Avitas estimates that after standard discounts the real market price is about $166 million.

The A380 is listed at $346 million, with an Avitas-estimated real market value of about $192 million.

In December 2008, in the midst of the global downturn, Turkish Airlines anounced its intention to buy 35 widebody and 70 narrow body aircraft to modernize and expand its fleet through 2023.

Last year the airline ordered the dozen 777s, all of which should be delivered by next August. It also ordered a dozen Airbus A330 jets, the first two of which were delivered this month.

Turkish has also ordered 20 narrowbody 737s from Boeing and 20 narrowbody A320s from Airbus.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...turkish14.html

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF Andrť Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014
www.sercan.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 12:55 PM   #98
Messi
Tinerci GenÁlik

Likes (Received): 2430

After FC Barcelona, the new ad with ManU.

Messi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 01:11 AM   #99
TAfixe77X

TC-JJG THY 77W

Test flights of yet another new 77W (registation number TC-JJG)

Old November 21st, 2010, 02:56 AM   #100
TAfixe77X

New THY Business Class ad

http://www.havayolu101.com/2010/11/2...mi-kasim-2010/

Tags
european airlines, star alliance, turkey, turkish airlines