daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Vietnam Forum > Cityscapes and Photography

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 28th, 2010, 01:46 PM   #1
Pangu
中華民國

Likes (Received): 16

Cool 6 Days in Vietnam: Si Gn - Đ Nẵng - Hội An - Huế - Phong Nha - Si Gn

6 Days in Vietnam:
Si Gn 西貢 - Đ Nẵng 沱灢 - Hội An 會安 - Huế 化 - Phong Nha 風牙 - Si Gn 西貢

---

We arrived in Si Gn around noon having after spent 6 days in my home country of Taiwan. Pictures here.

This was my first trip to Vietnam and it was very memorable. I saw Vietnam's past, present and future. I believe Vietnam is only starting to tap its great potential.

Throughout the whole trip many people asked me what I thought of Vietnam. Being from Taiwan (although I spent most of my adult life in the U.S.) the only thought that always came to my mind was "Vietnam feels very familiar but at the same time very different."

I was able to travel around Central Vietnam in a very limited time frame. I hope to see more of South Vietnam and also travel to North Vietnam in the near future.

BTW, I am merely going base on my memory when labeling these pictures. If I made any mistakes or you have anything else to add, it would be much appreciated.

Without further ado...

---

Day 1 - Si Gn 西貢

Taking EVA Air from Taipei to Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City). Almost there!

Coast of Vietnam.

Old hangars. Coming to Saigon's Tan Son Nhat airport was a pretty big deal to me. During my trip to Taiwan the week before, I found out from my grandfather that he used to fly to Vietnam from Taiwan during the Vietnam War in order to provide supplies for South Vietnam. Unfortunately in his old age his memory isn't what it used to be but he described his missions to Vietnam like it was yesterday.

Finally arrived!

Going toward Custom. I was told by my Vietnamese friends about how corrupt it is and how the Custom expects to be bribed and if you don't, they would give you trouble. I was a bit nervous but held my ground. The Custom officer isn't exactly the most friendly but he was hardly hostile either. Fortunately I passed custom without any problems

Going down to collect my luggage.

There is actually no waiting area inside for those who are here to pick up people from the airport. So everyone must wait outside.

Outside of airport.

Waiting for a cab.

Random street scenes from Tan Son Nhat airport to our hotel in District 1

I was surprised to see a police officer, or "cong an", with an automatic weapon. Not sure if you can see it clearly in this photo, we were moving pretty fast.

The former presidential palace of South Vietnam, which is now renamed Unification Hall.

More random street scenes:

Inside the "TAX Department Store".

View from the top of TAX Department Store.

Street scenes around TAX.

A family friend who happens to live in Saigon right now took us around the city. A nice hotel but I can't remember the name right now.

We saw a hummer in a parking lot, which is rare in Saigon and to be honest, not very practical IMHO with all the narrow streets. The interesting thing is the license plate seems to be Cambodian or Thai.

Grilled food from the night market next to Cho Ben Thanh. Yummy.

One last shot of the Financial Tower before heading back to our hotel to grab as much sleep as possible before waking up at 3:30 AM to start our tour in Central Vietnam

Last edited by Pangu; February 1st, 2010 at 03:01 PM.
Pangu no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 28th, 2010, 02:17 PM   #2
Pangu
中華民國

Day 2 - Đ Nẵng 沱灢 & Hội An 會安

We woke up at 3:30 AM as planned and were supposed to meet up with the tour group at 4:30 AM to take the bus to the airport. However, due to lack of sleep the night before, we were extra slow and the tour group called to tell us we missed the bus and must find our own way to the airport. We decided to take a cab to the airport and ironically we got there way before the tour bus did.

Checking in. It was barely 5 AM and the airport was already packed!

Waiting for our flight to Da Nang.

You can get pho at the airport, nice!

Getting on our plane to Da Nang. The sun is not even up yet.

We've arrived in Da Nang. It looks like they're building a new terminal here.

The current terminal.

Waiting for our luggage.

Outside of the airport. Waiting on our tour bus.

I think Da Nang is going to be the host city for a ASEAN event.

Random street scenes of Da Nang. I noticed there is much less cars here compared to Saigon and the traffic is MUCH better. In fact, I have not seen much traffic at all, even during rush hour.

View of Da Nang from the restaurant at the top of our hotel.

Heading to the Ngũ Hnh Sơn 五行山 (Five Elements Mountain). The climb is quite steep.

This is the "View River Platform" 望江台, I don't remember the Vietnamese name for it. I only remember the name in Chinese because I saw it on the larget stone tablet on the platform.

View from the platform.

Temple in the mountain.

There are a total of six caves in the mountain. The tour guide took us to the largest one called 玄空洞 Xuankong Dong. Again, unfortunately I don't remember the name in Vietnamese. Inside the cave is a small temple among other structures. It's simply amazing.

This is the top of the cave. The tour guide told us the holes in the ceiling used to be much smaller but they were made larger due to the bombing during the war.

Four guardians at the entrance of the cave.

The tour guide said this cave was already a holy site of the Chams before Vietnamese came. There were already Cham structures inside the cave but all that's left is this.

Trash can.

Another cave. Just passing by.

Inside the cave. Obviously not as impressive as the first one.

Walking down. A random pagoda.

This is the view from the 望海台 "View Ocean Platform".

On the way back from the Five Elements Mountain and toward Hoi An. A nice-looking newly built temple.

Hội An 會安

Hoi An is known for its beautiful lanterns.

View from the Japanese Bridge.

Inside the Japanese Bridge is a temple.

Dogs in Vietnam, much like dogs in Taiwan, don't ever bother people. Often they just mind their own business. This one didn't even bother to move even though tourists were going in and out of this building.

View of Hoi An from the second floor of a building.

There are three Chinese temples in Hoi An which also act as gathering places for the Chinese who used to live there to conduct business among other things. One was for people from the 廣東 Guangdong province, another for those from 福建 Fujian province and the last for those from 潮州 Chaozhou. We only had time to visit the Guangdong temple.

The Japanese Bridge.

The outside of the temple inside the Japanese Bridge.

Lanterns are everywhere in Hoi An. It's quite beautiful when they all light up at night. It's a shame it started raining and I couldn't get many good night shots of Hoi An.

Back to our hotel in Da Nang. The restaurant at the top of our hotel turns into a cafe at night. It provided a good night view of the city.

Last edited by Pangu; January 28th, 2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old January 28th, 2010, 02:20 PM   #3
chinatown
Wanderer/ Le voyaguer/ 浪子

Likes (Received): 360

thanks for the pics Pangu, hope you enjoyed the trip.

About the hummer with Cambodian plate, that's because the Vietnam government tax too high on cars, so many Vietnameses chose to import car to Cambodia/Thailand instead since tax there is low, then drive to Vietnam, but have to renew the license every 6 months or so.

My grandpa been to Taiwan for business in the 60s, he went to almost all big places of Taiwan including Taipei, Taichung, Tainan, Hsin Chu , and Kaoshiung. I saw a lot of his pics while he was in TW, and it surprised me that TW looked so poor back then compared to now, even Taipei looked poorer than Saigon in the 60s, but when I went to Taipei 3 months ago, it was like miles a head of saigon now, even Hsin Chu which was a small village back in the 60s now can be compared to Saigon. Kaoshiung is even better than Taipei imo.

Last edited by chinatown; January 28th, 2010 at 02:25 PM.
chinatown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 02:35 PM   #4
Pangu
中華民國

Day 3 - Huế 化 - Imperial Palace

We're finally going to Hue. I must say, this was the highlight of my trip as I've read so much about the city and the Imperial Palace.

In the distance is a large statue of Guan Yin (Quan Am in Vietnamese?).

Many "bowl-shaped" boats on the beach.

You can see Da Nang in the background.

Passing by a "Cho" or market.

Arrived in Hue. Even though the city is about half the size of Da Nang, but the traffic is at least double.

Bridge that crosses the Huong river.

Huong (Fragrant) river.

Selling Banh Bao (steamed buns)

This was the first time I saw nice public restrooms in Vietnam. I didn't need to go at the time but it looks very clean from the outside.

Imperial Palace

King's throne.

A large replica of a seal. It reads 皇帝之寶 Huangdi Zhi Bao, which translates to "Emperor's Treasure". (Thanks to huevietnam for the correct information )

Much of the Imperial Palace was unfortunately destroyed during the Vietnam War. However, they are constantly restoring the place. As you can see, this is brand new.

More restoration underway.

The old opera house.

A pagoda in Hue. I don't remember its name at the moment.

Columns infront of the pagoda facing the Huong river.

Last edited by Pangu; January 28th, 2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old January 28th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #5
Pangu
中華民國

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinatown View Post
thanks for the pics Pangu, hope you enjoyed the trip.
I absolutely loved it

Quote:
About the hummer with Cambodian plate, that's because the Vietnam government tax too high on cars, so many Vietnameses chose to import car to Cambodia/Thailand instead since tax there is low, then drive to Vietnam, but have to renew the license every 6 months or so.
Ah, that makes sense. This also explains why most of the tour buses I saw also had Thai or Cambodian license plates.

Quote:
My grandpa been to Taiwan for business in the 60s, he went to almost all big places of Taiwan including Taipei, Taichung, Tainan, Hsin Chu , and Kaoshiung. I saw a lot of his pics while he was in TW, and it surprised me that TW looked so poor back then compared to now, even Taipei looked poorer than Saigon in the 60s, but when I went to Taipei 3 months ago, it was like miles a head of saigon now, even Hsin Chu which was a small village back in the 60s now can be compared to Saigon. Kaoshiung is even better than Taipei imo.
It's true. Taiwan in the 60's was still a very backwards place. South Vietnam was way ahead of Taiwan at that time (I can't speak for North Vietnam as I don't know how it was back then).

I believe the difference between Taiwan and Vietnam during the 60's and today just shows that even if a country is ahead or behind in terms of development today, it may not last forever. Which is why after being in Vietnam, I personally believe that Vietnam has much more potential than Taiwan and in the next 20-30 years, there is a good chance Vietnam will surpass Taiwan again. Maybe it's time for me to invest in Phu My Hung
Old January 28th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #6
Pangu
中華民國

Day 4 - Huế 化 - Tombs

Tomb of Emperor Tu Duc

The food court of a modern shopping center called "Coop Mart".

Boba milk tea!

I like seeing random temples in Hue. This one was right across from the restaurant where we had lunch.

Tomb of Emperor Minh Mang

Tomb of Kai Dinh. By this time I was already feeling very sick and could barely move so I didn't take many pictures here.

I remember reading somewhere that people were claiming the Tom of Kai Dinh is an "ancient" structure and had "obvious Thai influence". Well, fact is, Kai Dinh was the second to the last emperor of Vietnam so his tomb is actually one of the most recent and the structure was a mix between French & Vietnamese architecture, which had nothing to do with Thai.

After visiting the last tomb, we went back to the hotel and I pretty much passed out until the next morning.
Old January 28th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #7
Pangu
中華民國

Day 5 - Phong Nha 風牙 - Huế 化 - Si Gn 西貢

On our way from Hue to Phong Nha.

Nothing but rice fields. Beautiful.

This is at the former border between North & South Vietnam. I was told this statue symbolizes a family separated between North & South and were expecting to reunite in two years after the general vote which never took place.

Crossing the river that used to be the border.

We are now officially in "North Vietnam"

The tour guide told us that there used to be flag pole similar to this one on the other side of the river with the South Vietnam flag. They used to try to see who had a taller flag pole and the louder propaganda.

Arrived at Phong Nha.

Taking a boat to the cave.

There is a small village here and you can see people going about their lives on the river.

The small village with a church.

I'm assuming most, if not all, villagers are Christians, therefore their tombs are a little different. It's a mixture between Christianity and Vietnamese traditional tombs. Quite unique.

Here we are at the cave.

Inside.

This part is called the "Literature Cave" because there is Cham writing on the walls. The tour guide mentioned this cave was used by the VC's during the war as a hiding spot. But it has been used by the Chams way before that.

Coming out of the cave.

A boat transporting passengers. There is a live pig on the back of the moped

A nice view of the church in the village.

Water buffalos roam free there.

Two babies on a boat.

Village kids playing by the water.

More beautiful rice fields.

On the way to and from Phong Nha we saw many cows and buffalos cross the roads, but this was the first time we saw pigs crossing the roads.

Our view at the restaurant where we had lunch in Dong Hoi. We were told they are trying to turn this into a nice pond in the near future.

Random ancient structure in Dong Hoi.

The tour guide took us to a "Cho" called Cho Dong Ha. We wandered around for about an hour and were attracted to the middle of it where they had a large rotunda with stalls after stalls serving various food and drinks.

We had a coconut (drink) at the cho and it was good! It wasn't as sweet as coconuts we get in Texas but it was so much more refreshing.

Huế 化

We drove back to Hue but there were still a few more hours before our flight back to Saigon so the tour guide took us to a nice teahouse.

This is the view of Huong river from the back of the teahouse.

Random ancient gate outside of the teahouse.

Banh bao stall. Even though I saw countless banh bao stalls, I was unfortunate to have never tried one. Our tour guide always made sure our stomachs were filled.

After we had all the tea we could from the teahouse, we decided to burn the remaining time we had left by taking a cyclo ride. The following few photos were taken from the cyclo.

This particular bridge is for bicycles and mopeds only. Although there was one SUV with a military license plate did squeeze through.

It's not easy to tell from this photo, but we saw quite a few bicycles with two people riding and both are peddling.

Cute girls on a cyclo. This was on our way to dinner.

View of Hue from the restaurant. The weather that day in Hue was much better than the days previous when we were first there. It stopped raining and it felt very cool. Must've been around high 60's or low 70's F.

More view of Hue from the restaurant.

After dinner, we went to the Hue International Airport. I'm not sure why it's considered "international" as it's very small, much smaller than that of Da Nang, and as far as I know, Vietnam Airlines doesn't even have any international flights out of Hue. Does anyone else know?

Si Gn 西貢

Back in Saigon. It was already pretty much so we decided to take a cab and just see the city, especially in Phu My Hung where my family friend lives. I heard many good things about it from them so I thought I'd see it for myself.

Night street scenes of Saigon.

This is the only semi-good shot of Phu My Hung that I got unfortunately.

Last edited by Pangu; January 28th, 2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old January 28th, 2010, 03:42 PM   #8
giangpro

Likes (Received): 159

thanx for your photos.
Email : giang.antrade@gmail.com
Cell Phone : 0904 640 630

^^
giangpro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #9
kimlong
Bean

Likes (Received): 3

wow,thank mod
Phong Nha cave very great
hope that you would come back to VN

Last edited by kimlong; January 28th, 2010 at 06:07 PM.
kimlong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 06:13 PM   #10
huevietnam
Hue city - Truly Vietnam

Likes (Received): 4593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangu View Post
Day 3 - Huế 化 - Imperial Palace

A large replica of the emperor's seal. It reads 山寶皇帝 Shanbao Huangdi, which means "Mountain-Treasure Emperor".
Thanks for sharing. It's not 山寶皇帝, it's is 皇帝之寶 "the Emperor's treasure"
huevietnam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #11
Pangu
中華民國

Quote:
Originally Posted by huevietnam View Post
Thanks for sharing. It's not 山寶皇帝, it's is 皇帝之寶 "the Emperor's treasure"
You are absolutely right!

I thought about it some more, when stamped, the columns would be reversed and therefore 皇帝 would actually be on the right and make more sense since traditionally Chinese is read from right to left. Also I saw another seal script where 之 looks like it does on this particular stamp.

Thanks for pointing this out
Old January 28th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #12
Pangu
中華民國

Day 6 - Si Gn 西貢

Our flight wasn't until noon-ish so we decided to take a moped taxi and see more of Saigon. BTW, for anyone visiting Saigon, I recommend taking the moped taxi at least once.

The U.S. embassy. I guess it's a big deal as it's one of the few places my moped driver pointed out.

The fruit inside this cart is called 蓮霧 Lianwu in Chinese, Mận in Vietnamese (according to Wikipedia). I've always associated this fruit with Taiwan as I grew up eating it. So I felt especially at home when I saw this.

Baby on a cell phone

I love Vietnam's coconuts!

A random mosque in Saigon

A nice private house.

So we had quite an adventure going to the airport. We left about 3 hours before our flight, hopped onto a taxi and thought we had plenty of time. The ride shouldn't have taken more than 30-45 minutes with regular traffic, but for some reason, all roads leading to the airport were simply not moving that day. Finally when we were one hour away from our flight, the taxi driver told us it's best if we found some moped taxi to take us to the airport then grab another cab near the airport as mopeds are not allowed inside. After we agreed, he pulled over and took off running to look for moped taxi, which is usually everywhere but just like everything else, never around when you need them 15 minutes later, he came back with two moped taxis. We each grabbed our luggage and placed it between us and the driver and took off. It took no more than 5 minutes before we were at the airport and the driver told us not to worry about switching to a cab as they know a way, and they did! They dropped us off right at the airport and we made it to the gate 15 minutes before boarding. As soon as we got the gate though, we were informed our flight was delayed for 45 minutes.

Leaving the Tan Son Nhat airport.

See you later, Vietnam.
Old January 28th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #13
coolink
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2302

so have you seen Cho Lon
coolink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 08:47 PM   #14
Pangu
中華民國

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolink View Post
so have you seen Cho Lon
Actually I have.

I was told Cholon is the "Chinatown" of Saigon. However, when I was there, all I heard was Vietnamese. If any "Chinese" was spoken, it was probably Cantonese, which I don't understand anyway However, I did see many business signs around that area with both Vietnamese and Chinese though.

I just realized that I left out tons of pictures while I was going through them. I actually took about 10,000 pictures during my trip to both Taiwan and Vietnam so it was a lot to sort through
Old January 28th, 2010, 09:10 PM   #15
coolink
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2302

Quote:
Actually I have.

I was told Cholon is the "Chinatown" of Saigon. However, when I was there, all I heard was Vietnamese. If any "Chinese" was spoken, it was probably Cantonese, which I don't understand anyway However, I did see many business signs around that area with both Vietnamese and Chinese though.

I just realized that I left out tons of pictures while I was going through them. I actually took about 10,000 pictures during my trip to both Taiwan and Vietnam so it was a lot to sort through
only Vietnamese could tell, majority of Chinese in that area speak Vietnamese with Chinese accent, eventhough they've ben in the country for generations.

If you return for northern Vietnam next time get me churches pics. Thanks!

we want to se you tơo, so don't be shy and show us pictures with you in it
coolink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 12:22 AM   #16
vanboy2
Terminator

Likes (Received): 1366

Thanks Pangu for the trip trough out Vietnam.Hope you had a good time and good impressions with Vietnamese culture and people.I find your post quite informative and the way you narrated trough out your photos.Nice job.
Old January 29th, 2010, 01:36 AM   #17
Xịa bự
THUGZ LIFE

Likes (Received): 0

Did you read Emperor Tự Đức's eulogy stele while you were visiting his tomb? It's an eloquent criticism of his short comings while on the throne, said to have been written by the emperor himself. Thus, making it unique amongst all of the imperial tomb steles in Vietnam.
Xịa bự no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 01:48 AM   #18
Pangu
中華民國

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xịa bự View Post
Did you read Emperor Tự Đức's eulogy stele while you were visiting his tomb? It's an eloquent criticism of his short comings while on the throne, said to have been written by the emperor himself. Thus, making it unique amongst all of the imperial tomb steles in Vietnam.
I did! Well, I tried at least lol Unfortunately much of the stele were damaged, most likely by just humidity and lack of protection against nature in general, which made it difficult to read. Also it was written in classical Chinese (文言文 Wenyen Wen), which means to someone like me, who hasn't studied classical Chinese extensively, was somewhat difficult to understand even if I recognize every single character. I did get the gist of it after I read it myself and the tour guide's explanation filled in the rest Judging solely by his stele, Emperor Tu Duc was quite a respectable man.

On a related note though, I must admit it was pretty neat for me to visit all the ancient Vietnamese relics and ruins and being able to understand all the writing
Old January 29th, 2010, 01:53 AM   #19
Meosaigon

Likes (Received): 0

a good trip you had there my friend and I'm glad that you did have a memorable experience in Vietnam. Btw, I was too in Hue in the time you visited.
Meosaigon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 03:56 AM   #20
chinatown
Wanderer/ Le voyaguer/ 浪子

Likes (Received): 360

Quote:
Actually I have.

you know what,

actually Cho Lon is the term used for a very big area, spreading over 4 (5-6-10-11) districts, and the Chinese people there usually mix-living together with the local, so it's hard to recognize whether you're really in chinatown or not. The main language of the Chinese in Saigon is Cantonese, only younger generation and a small percentage of older generation speak Mandarin. You can hear Hakka, and Teochew too, but not so many Hokkien here.

There is half a million Chinese in Saigon, 3/4 of them living in Chinatown.
chinatown no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
da nang, hoi an, hue, saigon - ho chi minh city

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: