daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old October 24th, 2010, 01:19 PM   #321
RobH

Likes (Received): 10337

He was very strong on England's bid early in the campaign, full of praise for Wembley stadium and the bid in general, but his support I feel has wained slightly since. Who knows where his vote will end up?
RobH no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #322
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
He was very strong on England's bid early in the campaign, full of praise for Wembley stadium and the bid in general, but his support I feel has wained slightly since. Who knows where his vote will end up?
I realise this has been the impression he has given lately regarding both England and Australia but I'm almost certain he will vote as originally intended,with those two nations
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 01:30 PM   #323
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Highly debatable which is the best bid.

Which is kind of the point.

Both Russia and England have very good bids - though each has differing strengths and weaknesses.

Holland / Belgium also has a strong bid and may well be the dark horse.

Spain / Portugal has fantastic stadiums - the best of any of the European bids - but I fear that it is fatally wounded by using one country (Portugal) as a bit part player that has only been included to counter claims that it is not Spain's turn.
I think Netherland-Belgium is the worst bid between the 4 european bids.

England and the joint bid Portugal-Spain are classical bids, too traditional, an old brand, quite boring, you know in advantage what you to wait from a WC in that countries. Russia is the new, is a new country in which FIFA has the possibilty to sell its product and fan to have new emotion.

The stadia in english bid are the usual stadia, are stadia seen, nothing of new, are traditional but people many times wants a wind of change and between the four bids only Russia has this wind of change.

Last edited by Mr.Underground; October 24th, 2010 at 01:37 PM.
Mr.Underground no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #324
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7064

I'm think that all football fans were been in England at least one time when their favorite teams played with English clubs. Therefore it will be difficult for them to find something new in 2018. London isn't same as GB and not same as England. Even such football cities like Liverpool or Manchester have very few tourist sights (exсept Museum of Beatles, of course).
AlekseyVT no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 03:53 PM   #325
Mr Trebus
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekseyVT View Post
I'm think that all football fans were been in England at least one time when their favorite teams played with English clubs. Therefore it will be difficult for them to find something new in 2018. London isn't same as GB and not same as England. Even such football cities like Liverpool or Manchester have very few tourist sights (exсept Museum of Beatles, of course).
getting desperate now
Mr Trebus no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 04:05 PM   #326
matthemod

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekseyVT View Post
Because I'm sure such a location like Podolsk will be fighting off the tourists

My MiniCity!
matthemod no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #327
RobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Trebus View Post
getting desperate now
Yep. Seems so.
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #328
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Quote:
Yep. Seems so.
Rob, be honest do you think that England bid can take a sense of novelty for the fans?
I think is based only on tradition with the usual London, with Manchester and its usual Old Trafford, without a sense of discover for the fan. Fans know what are going to view or to visit.
Russia is different, it takes new emotion, new cities, new stadia, new feelings and for FIFA Russia could be a new market.
Old October 24th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #329
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Stadia proposed in japanese bid book:

http://www.dream-2022.jp/en/our_bid/bid_book/11.html

Many venues are a legacy od 2002 edition.
Old October 24th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #330
RobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Underground View Post
Rob, be honest do you think that England bid can take a sense of novelty for the fans?
I think is based only on tradition with the usual London, with Manchester and its usual Old Trafford, without a sense of discover for the fan. Fans know what are going to view or to visit.
Russia is different, it takes new emotion, new cities, new stadia, new feelings and for FIFA Russia could be a new market.
Perhaps, but nothing wrong with tradition either. Depends what FIFA are after really.
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 04:55 PM   #331
igor_carlos
GASPARETOUR.COM

Likes (Received): 675

Quote:
Erm.......two people still doesn't represent the whole of Italy. Neither does three or four. Perhaps, if you got 60 million Italians to post their support for Russia on this thread you could then say that the whole of Italy agrees with you.

I'm not going to hold my breath, though.
ok now one more Italian supporting Russia, now we are 3
Living in Dublin, England should be the best option, but I didnt like that bid, think Russia has chance on December!
igor_carlos no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 04:57 PM   #332
RobH

Only 59,999,997 to go then !
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #333
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7064

Quote:
Perhaps you'd like to try speaking for yourself rather than on behalf of your whole country next time eh?
May be, you and all British forumers are also don't represent such British region like England?
AlekseyVT no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 09:38 PM   #334
RobH

We don't claim to.
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 11:01 PM   #335
dacrio

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Erm.......two people still doesn't represent the whole of Italy. Neither does three or four. Perhaps, if you got 60 million Italians to post their support for Russia on this thread you could then say that the whole of Italy agrees with you.

I'm not going to hold my breath, though.
Quote:
Only 59,999,997 to go then !
you made a mistake!

our lovely premier SILVIO BERLUSCONI (that represents the majority of italians) is the best friend of vladimir putin.

so we can say that italians support Russia for 2018!
dacrio no está en línea  
Old October 25th, 2010, 02:12 AM   #336
JimB

Likes (Received): 4809

Quote:
I think Netherland-Belgium is the worst bid between the 4 european bids.

England and the joint bid Portugal-Spain are classical bids, too traditional, an old brand, quite boring, you know in advantage what you to wait from a WC in that countries. Russia is the new, is a new country in which FIFA has the possibilty to sell its product and fan to have new emotion.

The stadia in english bid are the usual stadia, are stadia seen, nothing of new, are traditional but people many times wants a wind of change and between the four bids only Russia has this wind of change.
I don't really understand this line of argument.

It's like the famous mantra from Orwell's Animal Farm but, instead of "four legs good, two legs bad", it's "new is good, old is bad".

There doesn't seem to be anything else to such an argument. It appears to be a mantra merely for the sake of having a mantra.

Yes, Russia will build some new stadiums. Yes, some of England's stadiums will be older (but not old). So what?

All that matters, surely, is that the stadiums do the job that they were designed to do - namely, to allow fans to watch football in comfort and safety - and that the transport infrastructure has the capacity to transport them there and back as smoothly and quickly as possible.

If FIFA were to adopt the attitude, as you have, that "new is good, old is bad", then nations with existing, well established stadium, transport and accommodation infrastructure would NEVER get the chance to host the World Cup. Unless, of course, they promised to demolish all their existing, excellent stadiums and build new ones. But where would be the logic in that?

Similarly, if FIFA were to adopt the attitude that "new is good, old is bad", the only countries that would EVER get the chance to host the World Cup would be countries that are far short of the required number of stadiums of sufficient size and quality. Furthermore these would be precisely the countries that don't need loads of big stadiums. And they would most likely be countries that really can't afford such stadiums. Again, where is the logic in that?

Russia's bid is good because it offers much which is new.

But that doesn't mean that England's bid is bad because it doesn't.

It just means that England's bid has different strengths.

So enough of the meaningless mantras.
JimB está en línea ahora  
Old October 25th, 2010, 02:15 AM   #337
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacrio View Post
you made a mistake!

our lovely premier SILVIO BERLUSCONI (that represents the majority of italians) is the best friend of vladimir putin.

so we can say that italians support Russia for 2018!
Wow, I knew that Berlusconi was powerful.

But I didn't know that he was 60 million people all in one.

Now that's what you call being omnipresent.
JimB está en línea ahora  
Old October 25th, 2010, 02:59 AM   #338
JimB

Quote:
Err.......what on earth is wrong with that?

People absolutely love seeing in the flesh what they have long seen only on TV or in photographs. You see it at tourist sites around the world.....the Taj Mahal, the Pyramids and Sphynx, the Eiffel Tower, the Houses of Parliament, the Grand Canyon.....it's an amazing feeling actually to be there.

Along with some 15,000 other Spurs fans, I travelled to Milano last week for our game against Inter. We were all thrilled to watch our team playing at such an iconic stadium as the San Siro.

It wouldn't have been nearly so special an occasion if we had been playing in a new stadium that we had never seen and that we knew (and cared) nothing about.

Last edited by JimB; October 25th, 2010 at 04:00 AM.
JimB está en línea ahora  
Old October 25th, 2010, 04:08 AM   #339
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Hang on a minute, weren't you the same guy who was arguing that Qatar should get the 2022 WC in the Australia thread? And you're saying England has no novelty factor, do you think Qatar has? What are the tourists going to see? Some sand?

Anyways as far as 2018 goes, it doesn't worry me too much who gets it. I know England or Russia would put on an outstanding tournament.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old October 25th, 2010, 11:55 AM   #340
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Err.......what on earth is wrong with that?

People absolutely love seeing in the flesh what they have long seen only on TV or in photographs. You see it at tourist sites around the world.....the Taj Mahal, the Pyramids and Sphynx, the Eiffel Tower, the Houses of Parliament, the Grand Canyon.....it's an amazing feeling actually to be there.

Along with some 15,000 other Spurs fans, I travelled to Milano last week for our game against Inter. We were all thrilled to watch our team playing at such an iconic stadium as the San Siro.

It wouldn't have been nearly so special an occasion if we had been playing in a new stadium that we had never seen and that we knew (and cared) nothing about.
Spot on.

Suoth Africans would given an arm and a leg to attend England 2018.
Mo Rush no está en línea  

Closed Thread