daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 20th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #41
kerouac1848

Likes (Received): 1537

Quote:
Canberra is actually 12.2 in June, not 9 point whatever. Still it's a cold spot not to mention a dump and AFC would do well to steer the world away from Canberra.

I doubt Canberra would host matches, Canberra is behind Perth, Adelaide, Townsville, Gold Coast, Melbourne, Newcastle, Brisbane and Sydney amongst other places.
If you looked up a little you'll see I wrote earlier that he/she is comparing average temps not average highs, hence why 9c is the figure. Averages are pretty pointless, but that is what was compared.

I wouldn't be too sure Canberra won't host any matches. It is the nation's capital (and therefore contains many important social and cultural monuments), one of the 10 largest cities (7th?), is in a good geographical spot close between Australia's major cities, and has a decent sporting heritage.
Quote:
Regardless, mid teens isn't an indication that Russia isn't cold all the time, it's indication it has a really weak summer. At night time when alot of matches are played, it'd sure feel like winter. I think if temperatures are a concern then US is a good choice as it has stadiums in places which actually do have proper summers. Like Florida, California, Texas even NY has a decent summer.
I'm pretty sure cities like Moscow get temps well into the high 20s quite frequently, plus due to latitude many Russian cities don't get dark in summer until after 10pm.

Historical averages are becoming less useful due to the fact that the past 20 years have been so much warmer than the previous 50 (the data is therefore skewed). Remember Germany in 2006? Everyone thought we'd get a nice temperate tournament, yet it barley went below 30c during the day.

Anyway, hot weather is terrible for football as it makes the game slow and sluggish (way do you think it is a winter sport in most countries?). Those US states don't have 'decent' summers for football; they have terribly hot and humid ones. South Africa this year should therefore benefit with a daytime range of between 14-25c.
kerouac1848 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2010, 07:10 AM   #42
Richo83

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac1848 View Post
I wouldn't be too sure Canberra won't host any matches. It is the nation's capital (and therefore contains many important social and cultural monuments),
I'm not sure if you're a foreigner but if you are you should realise that Australians and Australian sporting organizations give little credit to Canberra's standing of being a capital and having "cultural monuments" (Melbourne and Sydney contain more). It's only major football sporting clubs are rugby affiliated which means nothing in this context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac1848 View Post
one of the 10 largest cities (7th?), is in a good geographical spot close between Australia's major cities, and has a decent sporting heritage.
Actually, Canberra is situated in nowhere, at least Sydney is close to Newcastle and Brisbane is near GC, Canberra is in the middle of nowhere. And as for sporting heritage, Canberra is where Australian sporting clubs go to die. Interesting that the a-league (Australia's highest football league) has no sporting club in Canberra and has felt not the need nor the ability to have a team in Canberra.

Hot weather is good for fans though, and Russia is not exactly a desert anyway, so it's hardly a problem. Look I think Russia have a good bid but weather is not a good selling point. It's European status, a growing market, a football culture and decent infrastructure are good selling points. Russia should play to it's strengths.
Richo83 no está en línea  
Old February 21st, 2010, 06:08 PM   #43
kerouac1848

Quote:
I'm not sure if you're a foreigner but if you are you should realise that Australians and Australian sporting organizations give little credit to Canberra's standing of being a capital and having "cultural monuments" (Melbourne and Sydney contain more). It's only major football sporting clubs are rugby affiliated which means nothing in this context.
No I'm not Australian, but my sister has been living there for years, including Canberra for the past 10 months, so I do at least know that it has a bit of a rep as a dull place. I don't think the rugby issue is that big tbh. Football is a relatively minor sport in Australia as of now, so most stadiums are going to primarily be either Rugby or Rules affiliated. Even in SA, a nation where football is a bigger sport than in Australia, most stadia belong to rugby teams it seems. Hopefully the A-League will continue to grow but I doubt it will join the big four team sports by then (could be wrong of course).

Quote:
Actually, Canberra is situated in nowhere, at least Sydney is close to Newcastle and Brisbane is near GC, Canberra is in the middle of nowhere. And as for sporting heritage, Canberra is where Australian sporting clubs go to die. Interesting that the a-league (Australia's highest football league) has no sporting club in Canberra and has felt not the need nor the ability to have a team in Canberra.
Given the geographical size of Australia I hardly say it is nowhere. It is less than 200 and 450 miles from Sydney and Melbourne respectively, nothing in an Australian context really and comfortably a days travel by road (My sister said it is about 9 hrs by bus to Melbourne from Canberra. If she is right, that is less than it took me to get to Glasgow from London by bus [11hrs]). Compare that to Darwin or Perth, which are thousands of miles away from Australia's main population centre.

Anyway, I didn't mean to suggest that Canberra will or should be a host city, merely pointing out that it has at least an ok chance (not a good or likely, but not zero either). Given that FIFA want - iirc - a minimum of 11 host cities and Australia is a small nation in population terms (it would be the smallest country to host a WC since Chile way back in 1962 and is the smallest bid), i think it is in with a, unlikely, shout for a venue spot.
Quote:
Hot weather is good for fans though, and Russia is not exactly a desert anyway, so it's hardly a problem. Look I think Russia have a good bid but weather is not a good selling point. It's European status, a growing market, a football culture and decent infrastructure are good selling points. Russia should play to it's strengths.

I see what you're saying, but surely most people sitting in the summer sun for 2 hrs would prefer temps between 24-28c with little humidity to the 32c+ humid climate you get in most of the US (I have spent time working there and some places like Miami and even NYC on some days [try catching the subway when it feels like 45c on the platform!] can get uncomfortably hot and humid if you have to actually stay in the heat without moving. And I like the heat).

You always here that the Middle East, North Africa and other such places are out of bounds for the WC because it is too hot, yet many parts of the US (especially if you factor in the humidity) can cook you just as well.

I dunno, I just think that Russia could put a spin on it by claiming their 'comfortable' climate, which is also dry (dig at England). I also don't think most cities (St. Petersburg perhaps as an exception) will even be that cool.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 04:04 AM   #44
Richo83

Likes (Received): 1

Good post.

The problem with Canberra having only a rugby side isn't that FIFA and FFA are fussed by using rugby stadiums (you're right, they aren't and wont be) its that FFA haven't placed a soccer team in Canberra and having matches there would do nothing for the game since it's not where they think they can or will grow the sport. Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Townsville, GC, Brisbane, Newcastle, Sydney and Melbourne are where soccer teams lie in Australia and it's a not too subtle statement about FFA's fears about the viability of a soccer team being placed in Australia.

Darwin is in the middle of nowhere, you're right, it's a good thing we're not trying to have stadiums everywhere but keep them in the SE area. Canberra's placement isn't great, Canberra for instance doesn't handle int travel, so it's a problem destination for foreigners.

Anyways back to Russia (which isn't exactly pint sized itself!) I dearly hope they build the Spartak stadium which looks magnificent and I hope they choose the new Kazan plan (which is very good) than the former one which needed to be a little more rectangular (at the moment it looks like a tyre with chains). I think this thread needs more of the other proposals too.
Richo83 no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2010, 11:58 PM   #45
kerouac1848

Quote:
Good post.

The problem with Canberra having only a rugby side isn't that FIFA and FFA are fussed by using rugby stadiums (you're right, they aren't and wont be) its that FFA haven't placed a soccer team in Canberra and having matches there would do nothing for the game since it's not where they think they can or will grow the sport. Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Townsville, GC, Brisbane, Newcastle, Sydney and Melbourne are where soccer teams lie in Australia and it's a not too subtle statement about FFA's fears about the viability of a soccer team being placed in Australia.

Darwin is in the middle of nowhere, you're right, it's a good thing we're not trying to have stadiums everywhere but keep them in the SE area. Canberra's placement isn't great, Canberra for instance doesn't handle int travel, so it's a problem destination for foreigners.
Cheers.

Those 9 cities you named seen to be guaranteed a WC spot if Oz gets it. But assuming there will be 11 cities, what would the other 2 be? I just think Canberra has a decent chance fighting it out for those final 1 or 2 spots.

Quote:
Anyways back to Russia (which isn't exactly pint sized itself!) I dearly hope they build the Spartak stadium which looks magnificent and I hope they choose the new Kazan plan (which is very good) than the former one which needed to be a little more rectangular (at the moment it looks like a tyre with chains). I think this thread needs more of the other proposals too.
Russia is doing the right thing (IMO) by having venues in only the Western quarter of the country. They'll be less distance between cities than in Brazil 2014 or in the US's bid. I've always thought Russia should play on their strengths as a Eurasian country (which is what is to me, not European or Asian). Matches will have a good time zone for both continents (a few hrs ahead of CET and, I think, 3/4 hours behind China in the Eastern most cities), and it should be easy for fans to get to the country.
Old March 4th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #46
Oceano
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
2010 Soccerex European Forum

Representatives from 217 football clubs and 10 leagues attended the Soccerex European Forum. Also present were 2018/2022 World Cup bid teams from England, Japan, Qatar, Russia and the USA.

Over 1,200 delegates attended the Manchester event.

Manchester United CEO David Gill and Major League Soccer commissioner Don Garber were among a host of high-profile speakers drawn from UEFA, football associations, clubs and other football-related organisations.

Next stop for Soccerex is the Asian Forum in the Raffles hotel, Singapore on 28-29 July.

The Russia 2018 World Cup splashed out to brand the central exhibition space at the Manchester Central conference centre. (WFI/ M. Bisson)
http://www.worldfootballinsider.com/Story.aspx?id=33053
Oceano no está en línea  
Old March 10th, 2010, 11:54 PM   #47
Oceano
BANNED

Quote:
Red Square Lounge the focal point of Soccerex Forum in Manchester

The Red Square Lounge, the networking café sponsored by the Russian Bid Committee for the 2018-2022 FIFA World Cup, was the focal point at the recent Soccerex Forum in Manchester on 2 and 3 March.

The café proved so popular with attendees that it maxed out capacity on the first day of the exhibition, when Bid Director for Planning and Operations, Alexander Djordjadze, and Sports Director/Bid Ambassador, Alexey Smertin welcomed all present for a Happy Hour.

Located at the very heart of Soccerex European Forum, delegates and media alike provided for a permanent flow of visitors who were keen to hear the latest news and activities of the Russian Bid Committee's effort to win the right to host either the 2018 or the 2022 FIFA World Cup™.

"We are very pleased with the positive feedback we received concerning our bid over the past two days here in Manchester," Djordjadze said. "Of course, like every other bidder applying to host FIFA's flagship competition, we still have a very long way to go. We feel encouraged in our approach and will continue our efforts to submit a top-quality bid, with the next milestone being the bid book submission to FIFA in May of this year, at their headquarters in Zurich."
http://www.russia2018-2022.com/en/ne...-soccerex.aspx
Oceano no está en línea  
Old March 11th, 2010, 12:07 AM   #48
likasz

Likes (Received): 41

I really like this bid but I think that visas can be a big problem for fans from UE countries:/
likasz no está en línea  
Old March 11th, 2010, 01:09 AM   #49
Oceano
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by likasz View Post
I really like this bid but I think that visas can be a big problem for fans from UE countries:/
In may 2010, Russia and EU is planning to begin official negotiations about visa-free regime. This theme is unfairly rises as a "problem" for WC bid.
Moreover, Minister of Foreign Affairs is often repeating that Russia is ready to make visa-free regime in any day, even tomorrow.

Quote:
Russia hopes to discuss visa-free deal with EU at summit

The Russian Foreign Ministry hopes that Russia and the European Union will articulate their visions of a mutual visa-free regime during the forthcoming Russia-EU summit.

Finnish Foreign Minister Alexander Stubb said at a meeting with his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov on Tuesday that his country "would continue to seek a visa-free regime with Russia."

Lavrov said that Russia sees no barriers to the introduction of visa-free travel, "even starting from tomorrow."

"I see the political will of many EU members to introduce a visa-free regime, a will expressed at the highest level. I know that certain EU bodies in charge of it are currently discussing the issue," Lavrov said.

He said that a major obstacle to scrapping the visa regime was the lack of consensus between the EU members, as the positions of some EU states affect the Union's readiness to strike a deal.

"The most important point here is to avoid new artificial requirements, which might be put forward with the intention of hindering the political agreement," Lavrov said.

There are a few problems to be ironed out before any deal is reached, such as the introduction of biometric passports and how Russian borders with non-EU countries would be affected.

"I hope that during the Rostov-on-Don [Russia-EU] summit, to take place on May 31 and June 1, the Russian and the EU leadership will be able to articulate their position on the deal," Lavrov went on.

Lavrov said that Russia and Finland have begun work on a bilateral deal to simplify procedures to issue work permits, which has long been a matter of concern for foreigners working in Russia.

All foreigners are required to register with the Russian authorities within three working days of their arrival in the country.

"The European commission showed no interest in it, so we started to prepare inter-governmental agreements on the terms of temporary employment on each other's territory with governments of certain EU member states," Lavrov said.

Italian Foreign Minister Franco Frattini said in an interview with Russia Today television last December that in 2010 Italy could propose introducing a visa-free regime with Russia.

Russia's EU envoy to the EU, Vladimir Chizhov, said in late February that talks on visa-free travel between Russia and the European Union are being hindered by political issues.
http://en.rian.ru/russia/20100309/158136184.html

Last edited by Oceano; March 11th, 2010 at 01:40 AM.
Oceano no está en línea  
Old March 11th, 2010, 06:41 PM   #50
Oceano
BANNED

First visualisation of the new stadium in Nizhny Novgorod:

Oceano no está en línea  
Old March 11th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #51
Oceano
BANNED

Moscow (90,000)

St. Petersburg (67,000)

Kazan (45,000)

Sochi (45,000)

Nizhny Novgorod (40,000)

BID:
14 CITIES
15 STADIUMS (12 NEW + 3 RECONSTRUCTED)

[This message is about stadium projects and will be updated]
Oceano no está en línea  
Old March 12th, 2010, 02:31 AM   #52
GrimFadango

Likes (Received): 334

Quote:
(...)I think that visas can be a big problem for fans from UE countries:/
EU - Russia visas are a mistake. I'd love to visit Russia and spend some money there, but ANY organised travel is just too expensive for a regular studying dude like me (~1k euro is a joke, it's like 4* in Egypt for 10 days).

Quote:
I really like this bid
I also strongly support this bid. Great stadiums proposals, wonderfull and unexplored cities. Besides, Russians are nice and friendly people

I'd like to see more infrastructural projects in Russia, like Sapsan. It would be great to develop an autobahn (at least at MKAD level) Moscow/Petersburg - Warsaw HST even better.

Inter city communication model will be crucial, I think that traveling by train is the best choice for moving around Russia.

Anyway, I hope you guys gonna get this gig
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:07 PM   #53
-\Oceano/-
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
FIFA Asks Putin to Speak

FIFA, world football’s governing association, has invited Prime Minister Vladimir Putin to appear in Zurich in December to speak on Russia’s bid to host the 2018 World Cup.

The countries competing for the honor will support their bids at FIFA headquarters Dec. 2, after which the federation will announce its choice.

Putin spoke in English when he addressed Olympic officials a few years ago to promote the country’s winning bid to hold the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, which apparently left an imprint on sports executives worldwide.

“Everybody remembers how you worked to present the bid for Sochi,” First Deputy Prime Minister Igor Shuvalov said at a Presidium meeting.

Putin did not immediately react to the invitation. Thirteen countries have expressed their intention to compete for the right to host the Cup, some of them jointly.
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/a...ak/402051.html
-\Oceano/- no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2010, 08:40 PM   #54
-\Oceano/-
BANNED

Nizhny Novgorod stadium project on MIPIM-2010:

-\Oceano/- no está en línea  
Old April 19th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #55
_5_
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
RUSSIAN BID GAINS FURTHER MOMENTUM - WORK ON BID BOOK IN FINAL STAGES

MOSCOW, 23 March 2010 - Some eight months before FIFA will award the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups on 2 December 2010, Russia's bid to host football's flagship competition is gaining further momentum.

At a recent cabinet meeting Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin acknowledged the concerted efforts of the bid team and urged both government and bid officials to forge ahead with any support the bid may need to complete all necessary formalities with FIFA by the May due date for the bid book.

The bid for the 2018/2022 FIFA World Cup was tabled at the meeting by First Deputy Prime Minister Igor Shuvalov, who expressed his hope that Putin would take a leading role in the final stages of the bid presentation, which will take place at the FIFA headquarters in Zurich in early December 2010.

SPORTS MINISTER MUTKO ATTENDS MEETING OF FIFA EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

Meanwhile, on 18 and 19 March, Vitaly Mutko, Minister of Sport, Tourism and Youth Policy, attended the meeting of the FIFA Executive Committee in Zurich, the body that will decide the next hosts of the 2018/2022 World Cup.

Speaking to international media during his stay in Switzerland, Mutko hailed the important role that is being played by Russia's political leaders President Dmitry Medvedev and Prime Minister Putin. "Both of them do everything that they can to support our bid." He also stressed that the bid was a national priority, with the World Cup of crucial importance for the development of the country.

"Sports are fundamental to the fabric of Russian society and this is reflected in the state-led programmes to boost sporting activities and enhancement of the necessary facilities", Mutko said.

"Russia has already been embarking on a major drive to expand the country's infrastructure and will continue to so, regardless of whether or not we will be granted the honour and privilege of hosting the FIFA World Cup", Mutko added. "At the same time, we are about to introduce a draft bill for further development of tourism, amendments to accommodation certifications and other related initiatives, with a special focus on the host cities that will be proposed to FIFA as part of the bid."

BID BOOK WORK IN FINAL STAGES

The Russian Bid Committee is also finalising work on its bid book that will have to be delivered to FIFA by 14 May. Led by CEO Alexey Sorokin, the Bid Committee has identified and compiled the relevant information that is being required by FIFA for detailed assessment by its experts, ahead of the inspection visit that will take place from 16 to 19 August 2010.
http://russia2018-2022.com/en/news--...momentum-.aspx

Quote:
PRIME MINISTER VLADIMIR PUTIN HAS SIGNED ALL GOVERNMENTAL GUARANTEES

MOSCOW, 19 April 2010 - With about one month to go before the countries bidding for the 2018/2022 FIFA World Cup™ will submit their bid books to FIFA in Zurich, Russia has accomplished another major milestone in its quest to win the right to host football's biggest event.

Russia's Prime Minister, Vladimir Putin, has personally signed all governmental guarantees that are requested as per the FIFA Bidding Agreement, since the full cooperation of the government of the host country is indispensable for the successful hosting of the FIFA World Cup™. The guarantees apply to a wide range of relevant issues such as security, tax and customs breaks, entry rules for athletes, referees and fans, intellectual property and its protection, and the construction of new stadiums. The relevant documents will be an integral part of the official bid books that will be handed over to FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter in Zurich on 14 May 2010 by Russia's First Deputy Prime Minister Igor Shuvalov.

Prime Minister Putin personally oversaw the progress on these important guarantees after making them an item of the agenda of the meeting of the Government Presidium of the Russian Federation held on 24 March in Moscow.

A dedicated stadium construction guarantee includes a reference that "with the support of the government of the Russian Federation" ten new World Cup-specific stadiums will be built as presented in the Bid Book schedules.

In his statements at said Government Presidium meeting, Putin furthermore emphasized Russia's readiness to go beyond the mere sporting infrastructure. "The World Cup preparations will not only require a large number of new sports facilities. They will also mean that we must develop - and are certain to do so if our bid is accepted - additional infrastructure: airports, roads, hotels and other tourist facilities in at least 10 major Russian cities, if not more."

"All of that would remain to be used by our people for decades to come", the Russian Prime Minister concluded.
http://russia2018-2022.com/en/news--...uarantees.aspx
_5_ no está en línea  
Old April 29th, 2010, 03:42 PM   #56
_5_
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

This is how a Bid Book will look like:

_5_ no está en línea  
Old April 29th, 2010, 04:34 PM   #57
rus
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by _5_ View Post
This is how a Bid Book will look like:

When will the contents of books?
rus no está en línea  
Old May 5th, 2010, 05:03 PM   #58
AILD
BANNED

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Blatter impressed by Russia 2018 bid

FIFA president Sepp Blatter has praised Russia's bid for the 2018 World Cup, labelling it "remarkable".

Blatter visited Russia, one of the countries competing with England to host tournament, in January and was impressed by what he saw.

"I was there recently and what they presented is remarkable," he told the London Evening Standard. "Russia is not a country but a continent and Russia has big plans to expand."

Also hoping to host the tournament - as well as the next edition in 2022 - are Australia and the United States, while there are joint bids from Belgium and Holland as well as Spain and Portugal.

Blatter expects the tournament to be held in Europe - and also believes England has certain advantages over its rivals.

"I think for 2018 it will be a European candidate," Blatter said. "But apart from England you have the bid from Spain and Portugal, the small but very pleasant bid of the Netherlands and Belgium, and the big Russia also wants to come in."

He added: "(England's bid) is the easiest bid in the world. They have the football already organised. They have everything.

"England has no problem in delivering a World Cup. The other bidders must convince the executive committee. England does not have to convince us."

The final decision will be made in December.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-c...ce/uk/&cc=5739

Quote:
Blow for England as Sepp Blatter hails Russia's 'remarkable' 2018 bid

Blatter travelled to Russia in January to meet the country's president Dmitry Medvedev and was impressed by their plans.

"I was there recently and what they presented is remarkable," he told the London Evening Standard. "Russia is not a country but a continent and Russia has big plans to expand."

The FIFA president said England had the infrastructure in place to stage the tournament but gave a clear hint Russia would be a major contender to stage the finals.

"Listen, it (England's bid) is the easiest bid in the world. They have the football already organised. They have everything. England has no problem in delivering a World Cup.

"The other bidders must convince the executive. England does not have to convince us.

"We know England can stage the World Cup. But England winning (the right to stage it) – I am not so sure."

Russia and England are joined by Japan and Australia in individually hoping to stage the tournament while Portugal and Spain plus Netherlands and Belgium are submitting joint bids.

"I think for 2018 it will be a European candidate," Blatter said. "But apart from England you have the bid from Spain and Portugal, the small but very pleasant bid of the Netherlands and Belgium, and the big Russia also wants to come in.

The hosts of the 2018 World Cup will be decided at a meeting of FIFA's executive committee in December.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...-2018-bid.html
AILD no está en línea  
Old May 6th, 2010, 03:34 PM   #59
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Russia 2018 !!!!! my second choice would go to Belgium and Netherlands, but for now i am sticking to Russia, its a very good bid, but don't you think a lot of transport would be needed between the cities ? or do you have a solution.
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old May 6th, 2010, 04:05 PM   #60
Gran Kanarya
Gran Kanarya

Sepp Blatter said in an interview "Russia is not a country but a continent". it is of course true when you consider the size of it and the fact that it is half in Europe half in Asia and not very far from North America but is he indeed trying to say something else altogether?

As soon as I read this I thought what if they give 2018 to England and 2022 to Russia and say Russia is like a continent on its own. or maybe England 2018, a non-European country 2022 and Russia 2016. so is Sepp Blatter paving the way for such a bold move, what do you think?

Closed Thread