daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 3rd, 2010, 02:16 AM   #121
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57916

Why writing such crap? Do you intend to provoke anyone?

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2010, 02:16 AM   #122
Fizmo1337

Likes (Received): 61

please quit this bullcrap discussion please, its ruining this thread, go somewhere else
Fizmo1337 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 02:17 AM   #123
erbse
LIBERTINED

Who are you referring to?

This ain't a picture but a discussion forum.

Old February 3rd, 2010, 02:21 AM   #124
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1640

@Xfire101
Don't worry. He may be obnoxious but he's also in out of his depth if he wants to argue British architecture with me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Yes, it is. So we have one example. Enormous.

When was it built, anyway?
It was built in stages with its style evolving substantially over the centuries. And it's hardly a sole example. There are lots of Scottish castles in this style. Here's another, Craigieven Castle:

image hosted on flickr

Now what, stylistically, do these Scottish baronial style castles have in common with Leeds Castle, which is typical of the Norman castles found in Kent?

image hosted on flickr

Highcliff, Bovin liked this post
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 02:31 AM   #125
vladorlando
BANNED

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONG_FFM View Post
The Castle on the 1st Picture is "Schloss Neuschwanstein". I´ve been very often because I have friends arround there. In the summer it´s nice because of the lake behind. But all in all it´s quite dissapointing I can tell. Nothing spcial if you know what I mean. There´s a large parking few meters from the castle from what the view is not like the view on the poscards. The Pictures on the postcards are shot from helicopter what does makes the real view you get as tourist appear qiute poor.
+5 I m agree .And what s more ,this pseudomedival castle placed on basement of real XII cent. citadel destroyed for this building in mid XIX .
I like more other german castle .
vladorlando no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 03:32 AM   #126
vladorlando
BANNED

Likes (Received): 48

Troiza-Sergiev Convent XIII -XVIII 60km north of Moscow

Highcliff, entazis liked this post
vladorlando no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 04:11 AM   #127
ainttelling
BANNED

Likes (Received): 120

My problem with castles of continental Europe is that they were built gradually over the course of several centuries - hence the lack of stylistical unity (see the above example). Even if they were built in one style - the whole thing still wasn't planed from the start - instead, many latter additions were built simply out of necessity... so there's some feeling of chaos about these castles (and I don't refer to the lack of symmetry - many castles excel in asymmetry). Neo-historist palaces, on the other hand, don't offend me at all - because they were planned from the start.
ainttelling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 09:42 AM   #128
NorthLimitation
Passionately Apathetic

Likes (Received): 571

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xfire101 View Post
Its the same old crap, from you Continental euros, i've seen it so many times on these forums from all the nationalities of the EU.

You always have, and probably always will ,think that you are so superior when it comes to matters of history and culture.
There's no reason to get nasty about the whole thing...

I N V E R N E S S / I N B H I R - N I S
Capital of the Scottish Highlands
Prìomh-bhaile na Gàidhealtachd
NorthLimitation no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 12:27 PM   #129
Langur
Londinium langur

^ It may be an over-reaction but Erbse has adopted a condescending tone and his statements about British castle architecture are just plain ignorant. It's not very impressive behaviour for a mod!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainttelling View Post
My problem with castles of continental Europe is that they were built gradually over the course of several centuries - hence the lack of stylistical unity (see the above example). Even if they were built in one style - the whole thing still wasn't planed from the start - instead, many latter additions were built simply out of necessity... so there's some feeling of chaos about these castles (and I don't refer to the lack of symmetry - many castles excel in asymmetry). Neo-historist palaces, on the other hand, don't offend me at all - because they were planned from the start.
I disagree. I think that's part of their charm. The individual elements in that Russian monastery (ie, the walls, the church, etc) do have stylistic unity. The accumulation over the centuries makes it more interesting. It's the same in European cities. Look at Rome for instance. It's an incredible accumulation of architectural achievement of that last 2000 years (minus the last 100 - at least in central Rome ) and that has made the city an architectural feast, an unrivalled treasure chest.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 12:51 PM   #130
erbse
LIBERTINED

^ You pretty much got that right. And that's exactly what I'm missing in Britain, nothing more I liked to point out in the beginning. Many British towns and castles make you miss historical depth or distinctive traces of different architectural eras and regional identities. While Britain has lots of history for sure, it's not that recognizable in architectural matters at all, as it is in continental Europe, including places like Rome, Prague, Riga, Trier or Strasbourg.

Old February 3rd, 2010, 12:56 PM   #131
HD
°°°°°°°°°°°°

Likes (Received): 906

oh boy! who opened the pandora's box?

just for you, the always predictible monkey
HD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 12:59 PM   #132
erbse
LIBERTINED

It's not like I didn't get to know ze listige Langur already

Old February 3rd, 2010, 01:07 PM   #133
Langur
Londinium langur

Quote:
^ You pretty much got that right. And that's exactly what I'm missing in Britain, nothing more I liked to point out in the beginning. Many British towns and castles make you miss historical depth or distinctive traces of different architectural eras and regional identities. While Britain has lots of history for sure, it's not that recognizable in architectural matters at all, as it is in continental Europe, including places like Rome, Prague, Riga, Trier or Strasbourg.
Again I disagree. Castles like Windsor or Edinburgh have evolved a great deal over the centuries. And as for cities, look at the different styles in Edinburgh. Look at layer upon layer of architectural history expressed by the colleges of Oxford and Cambridge. In London there are perfect Georgian squares abutting art deco (Bloomsbury). Victorian neo-gothic and neo-renaissance abuts medieval gothic (Westminster/Whitehall) I look at the view from Waterloo Bridge and I see neo gothic, neo-classical, baroque, and contemporary among others. From Greenwich I look across over paladian and baroque domes to the glass and steel of Canary Wharf and the Millennium Dome. Where else in Europe can you walk a few hundred metres from a magnificent 300-year-old baroque cathedral (St Paul's) to a shiny contemporary skyscraper (Heron Tower)? The Shard will complete in 2012 and will face the Tower of London across the river whose White Tower dates back to 1082. That's a span of 930 years. London's a 2000 year old city with almost 1000 years of that expressed in architecture. I think it's one of the finest examples of architectural accumulation in the world.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 01:08 PM   #134
Langur
Londinium langur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD View Post
oh boy! who opened the pandora's box?

just for you, the always predictible monkey
It's been years! Long time no see!! Dream on my envious Frankfurter....
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...edge-fund.html
Old February 3rd, 2010, 01:37 PM   #135
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 10995

Castel del Monte

Andria, ITALY

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ca..._giu06_001.jpg

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ca..._giu06_011.jpg

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ca...e_Innenhof.jpg

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/p3nsiero/373254755/

mckeenan, Highcliff, Pod° liked this post
GENIUS LOCI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 01:50 PM   #136
let forever be
BANNED

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Absolute nonsense!

Now you are saying Britain lacks "historical depth". Are you just an anti-British bigot?

Britain has amongst the most recognizable architectural styles in the world. Look at British Gothic, Victorian terraces, London brick buildings, Victorian baroque, Scots baronial, Rennie Mackintosh etc etc

Edinburgh is a good example to illustrate your ignorance - the royal mile, part of Edinburgh's 'old' town is adorned with medieval buildings leading up to the castle which was started to be built in 900ad. The old town faces over the Edinburgh new town which has the worlds largest concentration of neo-classic buildings. They are both world heritage sites. Oh, and at the end of the royal mile is the Enric Miralles Scottish Parliament built in a deconstrctivist style facing onto Holyrood palace. Very diverse.

In Glasgow, the worlds second greatest collection of Victorian buildings after London is juxtaposed with 20th century tennaments, gleaming glass buildings and Rennie Macintosh buildings etc. Again, very diverse.

The same is true for all of Britain.Infact, in Britain it is much easier than in most European countries to read the layers of history.

You are absolutely wrong in your views regarding Britain and it is highly ignorant.
let forever be no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 01:54 PM   #137
erbse
LIBERTINED

Ja, time to post castles again!

Altena Castle, Germany. First youth hostel of the world, established in 1912. Northrine-Westphalia.

There's also some annual rock festival called Burgrock.

With Altena town in front of it:

[IMG]http://i48.************/ehnecg.jpg[/IMG]
source

[IMG]http://i47.************/2eo8a49.jpg[/IMG]
source

[IMG]http://i46.************/6zq715.jpg[/IMG]
source

Aerial Altena

source

Highcliff liked this post
Old February 3rd, 2010, 01:55 PM   #138
erbse
LIBERTINED

Some more:

Burg Altena - gate
image hosted on flickr

source

Inside
image hosted on flickr

source

[IMG]http://i50.************/t6c6s0.jpg[/IMG]
source

image hosted on flickr

source

Old February 3rd, 2010, 01:55 PM   #139
ainttelling
BANNED

Likes (Received): 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
I disagree. I think that's part of their charm. The individual elements in that Russian monastery (ie, the walls, the church, etc) do have stylistic unity. The accumulation over the centuries makes it more interesting. It's the same in European cities. Look at Rome for instance. It's an incredible accumulation of architectural achievement of that last 2000 years (minus the last 100 - at least in central Rome ;) ) and that has made the city an architectural feast, an unrivalled treasure chest. :)
Our views appear to be personal preferences. But I want to explain mine a little deeper: stylistic diversity would be fine... for a walled city. But in case of a fortress - chaotic build-up robs the place of it's original elegance. Sometimes, it succeeds - Burg Eltz is a good example (which is one of the most famous European castles). But as far as fame is concerned - most of the castles that were posted on this thread are little-known outside of their own countries. It means that these castles lack a universal appeal. The most famous castle in the world is actually not from Europe - the Himeji castle (which excelled as both a walled town and a castle) - now that is what I mean by the elegance of stylistic unity - you just can't compare a fad-ridden fortress like the Trinity Lavra to that:

image hosted on flickr

[Source]

Sorry I had to get a little off-topic to illustrate my point.

ainttelling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 01:57 PM   #140
erbse
LIBERTINED

Altena Castle again:

Probably one of the most interesting youth hostels one could imagine.
[IMG]http://i48.************/2qar8lz.jpg[/IMG]
source

View from up there:

[IMG]http://i47.************/2lxgx9l.jpg[/IMG]
source

image hosted on flickr

source

Focussing some mansion:

[IMG]http://i47.************/io3jif.jpg[/IMG]
source

Tags
castles, classic europe, europe, fortresses, france, italia, italy, medieval, poland, turkey