daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 9th, 2017, 05:23 PM   #321
Yevgeniya16

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriedisUnIzlietne View Post
In one far fetched long term vision there are two perspective river crossings for trams: Hansa crossing (Iļģuciems-Hanzas street) and a bridge at the end of 13th January street (besides the existing railway bridge).

But, to be honest, I'm not a fan of their plan. Nor the tram line that they want to build in the coming years through Skanste
What is wrong with two new river-crossings with trams and with new line through Skanste, why are you not fan of them? How do you see developing of tram system in Riga? What new lines do you think will be better to build? Waiting your respond.

Last edited by Yevgeniya16; April 10th, 2017 at 03:37 PM.
Yevgeniya16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2017, 11:07 PM   #322
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2901

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yevgeniya16 View Post
What is wrong with two new river-crossing with trams and with new line through Skanste, why are you not fan of them? How do you see developing of tram system in Riga? What new lines do you think will be better to build? Waiting your respond.
There's nothing wrong with the river crossings – I don't like their plan in general. It includes those one-way tram lines on Elizabetes and Dzirnavu and proposes closing tram line on Zigfrīda Annas Meirovica bulvāris, transferring it to 11. novembra krastmala (which must be closed during any events – the time when tram is the most needed in the city center). And, regarding those bridges, we will never have the money for them. The plan should be achievable, but we don't even have the money for Ziemeļu koridors.

Regarding Skanste, it's not a direct route to the city center. It could be a good route from Hanza bridge in like 150 years, but not now. I would build a line from Skanste to City center through Blaumaņa iela. But I still believe that Purvciems and Pļavnieki should be the first when it comes to new tram lines, because they seriously need the capacity
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2017, 04:57 PM   #323
Yevgeniya16

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with the river crossings – I don't like their plan in general. It includes those one-way tram lines on Elizabetes and Dzirnavu and proposes closing tram line on Zigfrīda Annas Meirovica bulvāris, transferring it to 11. novembra krastmala (which must be closed during any events – the time when tram is the most needed in the city center). And, regarding those bridges, we will never have the money for them. The plan should be achievable, but we don't even have the money for Ziemeļu koridors.
I like plans to build two river-crossings (Hanzas and Zemgales) with trams, I understand that they will be build not soon enough, but Zemgales could be build together with Rail Baltic, it would be cheaper and partial for Rail Baltic money, I think. I read somewhere that some experts recommend to build Hanzas before Ziemeļu koridors. I do not like either those one-way lines on Puškina-Dzirnavu and Elizabetes-Turgeneva, but I like idea to build line on 11. novembra krastmala without closing tram line on Zigfrīda Annas Meirovica bulvāris, line on 11. novembra krastmala could be build not so deep underground, so this way line will not bother events and events will not bother trams to run during the events.

Quote:
Regarding Skanste, it's not a direct route to the city center. It could be a good route from Hanza bridge in like 150 years, but not now. I would build a line from Skanste to City center through Blaumaņa iela. But I still believe that Purvciems and Pļavnieki should be the first when it comes to new tram lines, because they seriously need the capacity
Skanste need to build not only to connect Skanste with city center, but also to reduce quantity of trams on K.Barona by dividing routs 6 and 11 on 6-6a and 11-11a, 6 and 11 will continue to run on K.Barona and 6a and 11a will run through Skanste, now on line 6 15 trams and on line 11 9 trams total 24 trams, let's say 7 trams of line 6 and 4 trams of line 11 will stay on K.Barona and plus 8 trams (if they run every 10 minutes) of round route total will be 19 trams, here appear little room for new lines in Purvciems and Pļavnieki and I would divide them also half on K.Barona and half trough Skanste. Without Skanste it is not possible to connect Purvciems and Pļavnieki to K.Barona, there is no room for routes with 10-15 trams. I also think that Skanste is first segment of big round line around city center, this line is better to continue on Pernavas to the end then along rail road and then on Satekles to 13.janvāra, how do you like this? Your idea to build line from Skanste to City center through Blaumaņa iela is interesting, are you planning to build tunnel from Brīvības to I do not know where? I repeat that I like your idea to build line to Pļavnieki from K.Barona on Blaumaņa-Avotu-A.Deglava, would be good connection Pļavnieki - Skanste.
Old April 10th, 2017, 10:51 PM   #324
BriedisUnIzlietne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yevgeniya16 View Post
I like plans to build two river-crossings (Hanzas and Zemgales) with trams, I understand that they will be build not soon enough, but Zemgales could be build together with Rail Baltic, it would be cheaper and partial for Rail Baltic money, I think. I read somewhere that some experts recommend to build Hanzas before Ziemeļu koridors. I do not like either those one-way lines on Puškina-Dzirnavu and Elizabetes-Turgeneva, but I like idea to build line on 11. novembra krastmala without closing tram line on Zigfrīda Annas Meirovica bulvāris, line on 11. novembra krastmala could be build not so deep underground, so this way line will not bother events and events will not bother trams to run during the events.
Rail Baltica will pay only for a pedestrian bridge. And a tunnel under 11. novembra krastmala would be very difficult as there are historic bastions already right underneath the asphalt. For example, Mārstaļu bastions.
Quote:
Skanste need to build not only to connect Skanste with city center, but also to reduce quantity of trams on K.Barona by dividing routs 6 and 11 on 6-6a and 11-11a, 6 and 11 will continue to run on K.Barona and 6a and 11a will run through Skanste, now on line 6 15 trams and on line 11 9 trams total 24 trams, let's say 7 trams of line 6 and 4 trams of line 11 will stay on K.Barona and plus 8 trams (if they run every 10 minutes) of round route total will be 19 trams, here appear little room for new lines in Purvciems and Pļavnieki and I would divide them also half on K.Barona and half trough Skanste. Without Skanste it is not possible to connect Purvciems and Pļavnieki to K.Barona, there is no room for routes with 10-15 trams. I also think that Skanste is first segment of big round line around city center, this line is better to continue on Pernavas to the end then along rail road and then on Satekles to 13.janvāra, how do you like this? Your idea to build line from Skanste to City center through Blaumaņa iela is interesting, are you planning to build tunnel from Brīvības to I do not know where? I repeat that I like your idea to build line to Pļavnieki from K.Barona on Blaumaņa-Avotu-A.Deglava, would be good connection Pļavnieki - Skanste.
It's not about the number of trams – it's about where people want to go People want to go to Barona iela, not Skanste. The only solution would be to build a paralleling tram line on Brīvības, Čaka and/or Avotu iela. I personally suggest Čaka and later also Brīvības. I would not build a tunnel as nowadays I want to keep things at least mildly realistic Though I wouldn't mind if Jūrmala railway line would function as a metro from Zasulauks through Ķīpsala to the city center and beyond like they do in Rotterdam

And I do not like the idea of a circle line as it would be too small. A circle line still needs to connect areas because the whole purpose of public transport is to connect places, not go around them. I might be wrong, but I would say that a radius of ~3km would be good for a circle line. But, I don't think I know even a single case where a city would have a tram circle line (except tourist lines). A tram circle line must still have a terminus as delays would otherwise add up. For this reason the world's circle lines are always railway lines where delays are non-existent.
Old April 16th, 2017, 04:45 PM   #325
Yevgeniya16

Quote:
Rail Baltica will pay only for a pedestrian bridge.
This would be much easier and I think cheaper to build Zemgales bridge and tunnel Raņķa Dambis-Vienības Gatve at the same time with Rail Baltic, too bad that RD does not think about this opportunity and not prepared for this. I understand that Rail Baltic only will pay for everything what relate to railway, but there still is a way to save a lot of money if to built everything what city needs if to work together at the same time, later might be more expensive, more difficult and inconvenient to the city residents and tourists.

Quote:
And a tunnel under 11. novembra krastmala would be very difficult as there are historic bastions already right underneath the asphalt. For example, Mārstaļu bastions.
Difficult does not mean impossible. Tunnel needed only between Akmens Tilts and a little bit after Muitas iela. Do you think there is a lot of obstacles under the asphalt? At some points tunnel could go deeper.

Quote:
It's not about the number of trams – it's about where people want to go People want to go to Barona iela, not Skanste. The only solution would be to build a paralleling tram line on Brīvības, Čaka and/or Avotu iela. I personally suggest Čaka and later also Brīvības.
Now K.Barona is full of trams in rush hours and if to connect Purvciems and Pļavnieki in addition this will be even worse. Skanste will open opportunity to reduce tram traffic on K.Barona and create various new routes, nobody knows where people really want go, our opinion now based only on the nowadays situation and now K.Barona is available, but Skanste not yet. Of course Riga needs more parallel streets with tram traffic in city center to create new routes and also for detours if something happen somewhere, but I think, Avotu better to use for line to Pļavnieki, Brīvības and A.Čaka is better to leave for buses, trolleybuses and cars, trams there will bother and stuck in traffic, there is too many intersections with traffic lights, speed will be slow, I think is better to built tram line from 13. janvāra, through or under Stacijas Laukums, Satekles, along railway, Pernavas on this way less intersections and trams could run faster.

Quote:
I would not build a tunnel as nowadays I want to keep things at least mildly realistic Though I wouldn't mind if Jūrmala railway line would function as a metro from Zasulauks through Ķīpsala to the city center and beyond like they do in Rotterdam
Strange, at some places You do not want to build tunnels and want to keep things at least mildly realistic, but You want to connect Zasulauks through Ķīpsala to the city center and this required a huge tunnel.

Quote:
And I do not like the idea of a circle line as it would be too small. A circle line still needs to connect areas because the whole purpose of public transport is to connect places, not go around them. I might be wrong, but I would say that a radius of ~3km would be good for a circle line. But, I don't think I know even a single case where a city would have a tram circle line (except tourist lines). A tram circle line must still have a terminus as delays would otherwise add up. For this reason the world's circle lines are always railway lines where delays are non-existent.
I see Skanste as first segment of circle line, I think there should be continuation, in my imagination full circle will be Pernavas-Senču-Zirņu-Skanstes-Sporta-Petersalas-Eksporta-11. novembra krastmala-13. janvāra-Satekles-along railway-Pernavas, this circle in diameter of ~3km, this will allow to open new routes and connect places, sometimes to go a little bit around might be faster than go straight, sometimes longer distance possible to ride faster than shorter.

I still would like to know, in previous comment You wrote that You would build tram line to Skanste on Blaumaņa, OK, from K.Barona on Blaumaņa I understand, You reach Brīvības and then how are You going to connect with Skanste?
Old October 21st, 2017, 07:36 PM   #326
Delfīns

Likes (Received): 12

New buses in Riga

"Rīgas satiksme" has received the newest buses of "Solaris Urbino" series. Their analogues are already running in the streets of Riga. 70 upgraded buses - 35 12-meter long and 35 -18-meter long vehicles will start running by the end of the year on various routes in Riga. Thus, only low floor buses will run in the capital.

New buses are part of the purchase of 175 Polish-made buses (60 12-meter long and 115 18-meter long). Under this contract, by the end of the year, 140 transport units will be delivered to Riga, while the remaining 35 will be delivered by 2019.

The new buses vary in terms of design and technical equipment. Compared to its older "brothers", new electrical equipment is located in the salons. For example, students will definitely appreciate the news - USB charging sockets that can charge a cell phone or tablet are located in several places in the cabin. Vertical handrails are equipped with extra lighting for visually impaired people. The front seats are equipped with additional ramps, while places for prams and people with movement restrictions are particularly marked with bright colors. For fire prevention, two fire extinguishers are installed on each bus.

Text and photo source: riga.lv

Photo source: skaties.lv

dimlys1994, Zaz965 liked this post
Delfīns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 12:41 PM   #327
BriedisUnIzlietne

The first hydrogen trolleybus has been delivered!

I still have no clue as to where we would need the 10 extra long 18,75m trolleybuses with fuel cell. Line 9 to Iļģuciems?

Plus, the vice-mayor Andris Ameriks said that with all this advancement of H2 technology, he predicts that after 12 years Rīga will no longer have trolleybuses. Some people replied that with them in charge for 12 more years, we won't have a lot of things anymore

photo from the Twitter account of Nils Ušakovs
Old November 13th, 2017, 12:51 PM   #328
BriedisUnIzlietne

The new combined tram and bus stop "Botāniskais dārzs" is nearing completion. It will be the first such combined stop that includes a high platform for tram level boarding in Rīga. A busway has been created on the tram tracks by reconstructing them in a concrete base. Next year construction works will continue and the entire Jūrmalas gatve part from Slokas iela to viaduct over railway will have a combined tram and busway.

A similar busway on tram tracks was created ten years ago on 11. novembra krastmala, but is used by buses only in one direction. I hope Rīgas satiksme will continue with similar projects in the future.

http://transit.parovoz.com/muralista...D=65332&LNG=EN

dimlys1994 liked this post