search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 12th, 2010, 03:10 PM   #81
Tramwayman
Trams the Best!!!

Likes (Received): 255

NO it's not possible great acceleration if tram doesn't have that function.

Mostly new trams have 1,2 or 1,3 maximum acceleration.
But for example Pragoimex Vario's and Tatras have maximum 1,8 empty vehicle.

Now about bogies, It also depends on bogie base, how far the wheels are from each other.

It's service pivoting and radii of this trams
Munich Vario 14,5 as well as Bombardier Cobra.

I don't know how, but it's so/
Maybe someone tells how it's possible
Tramwayman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2010, 05:57 PM   #82
Tramwayman
Trams the Best!!!

Switzerland Tango tram 75% low floor can turn on 12 m radius
Old May 13th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #83
Frank H

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid 87 View Post
As Tramwayman said. The whole line was modified to allow the usage of pantographs and poles.
Riga is an interesting system where most of the trams still use trolleypoles. Others such are Toronto, Calcutta (Kolkata), Alexandria (yellow tram lines), and Lisbon (partially).

I gather from this thread that Riga Line 6 has been modified to accept the pantograph equipped Skoda 15T.

Are the other Riga tramlines to be similarly modified?

Riga Line 6 seems to share all its tracks with line 3, indeed Line 6 seems to a shortened version of Line 3. Since Line 3 continues on tracks which I suppose have not yet been so modified, I presume that trams on Line 3 (an infrequent service seemingly) would still have trolleypoles. As Hybrid 87 indicates, it is quite possible to design overhead wiring to accept both pantographs and poles (Lisbon is an example), although I wonder if this wouldn't make the OHE less "optimal" for one, or both, of these types of collectors. Perhaps someone who knows about this could inform us?
Frank H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 08:57 AM   #84
Hybrid 87
a.k.a. The King Arthur

Likes (Received): 496

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank H View Post
Riga is an interesting system where most of the trams still use trolleypoles. Others such are Toronto, Calcutta (Kolkata), Alexandria (yellow tram lines), and Lisbon (partially).

I gather from this thread that Riga Line 6 has been modified to accept the pantograph equipped Skoda 15T.

Are the other Riga tramlines to be similarly modified?

Riga Line 6 seems to share all its tracks with line 3, indeed Line 6 seems to a shortened version of Line 3. Since Line 3 continues on tracks which I suppose have not yet been so modified, I presume that trams on Line 3 (an infrequent service seemingly) would still have trolleypoles. As Hybrid 87 indicates, it is quite possible to design overhead wiring to accept both pantographs and poles (Lisbon is an example), although I wonder if this wouldn't make the OHE less "optimal" for one, or both, of these types of collectors. Perhaps someone who knows about this could inform us?
Currently only line 6 is involved in the "low-floor-tram-project" ... there is no info on other lines. If we had to wait 2 years for the first tram to arrive some think that a few years we could hear about the second line to start using the low floor trams.

There were ideas to make the line 6 longer till Ausekļa iela (where line 7 ends), but it is just in idea state - no official projects.

About wiring suitable for pantographs and poles. The wirings on line 6 are modified to do so. And I think it will be so for a long long time, because in the middle of line 6 (at gaisa bridge) is the tram depo #5, so atleast half of the line will be used by both types (pantos and poles) until old tatras are taken out of service.

For example here is a pic of modified tram wirings crossing trolleybus wires (this one is located by depo #5)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- just some boring video game review site ...
Hybrid 87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 09:10 AM   #85
Hybrid 87
a.k.a. The King Arthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyworks View Post
Re 15T, according to Czech thread they will be in service in Prague first (June). Riga is September?
The latest info state that 15T in Riga will be in service by June. So maybe before Prague.

From http://www.tvnet.lv/zinas/latvija/33..._junija_sakuma
Quote:
Low-floor trams for the first passengers to pick up the beginning of June, said company spokesman Victor Zakis.

Riga, the first low-floor trams were delivered in late March, but passengers are being cleared, as being tested.

Zakis said that all tests are carried out at the plan and no retardation of the work schedule did not. The tram has gone on several trial trips and night, both during the day, causing great interest passers-by.

"Over the first trips with passengers likely to occur in early June," said "Riga Traffic" agent.

The first new tram carries passengers on route 6. Radio street - Jugla. They will replace your time and retired once already renovated concurrently tramway. New tram can carry 300 people.

Consequently, 20 new trams have a capacity greater than 40 existing tram cars. Tram is 31.6 meters long and 2.5 meters wide. Door aperture width of 1.3 meters.

The new trams, like new buses and trolleybuses in Riga, low floor, so they will be more convenient and accessible for passengers with prams, the elderly and people with disabilities.

As reported, low-floor tram project in Riga was expected before 2032 seven stages. It was initially planned that the realization of the project will require approximately 500 million lats, but several experts pointed out that the cost could be much higher.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Hybrid 87; May 14th, 2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old May 14th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #86
Frank H

Hybrid 87, thanks for your reply.

The photo you posted shows the complexity of design sometimes required in urban transport situations with trams and trolleybuses.

Incidentally, Melbourne is another tram system which has some trams still operating with trolleypoles, even though the great majority have pantographs.

From the quote in your last post:

"Low-floor trams for the first passengers to pick up the beginning of June, said company spokesman Victor Zakis.

Riga, the first low-floor trams were delivered in late March, but passengers are being cleared, as being tested.

Bunny said that all tests are carried out at the plan and no retardation of the work schedule did not."

I love "google"(?) translation! I presume that Zakis is Latvian for (bunny)rabbit!

Last edited by Frank H; May 14th, 2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old May 14th, 2010, 07:43 PM   #87
Hybrid 87
a.k.a. The King Arthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank H View Post
I love "google"(?) translation! I presume that Zakis is Latvian for (bunny)rabbit!
And once again google translator is the best (I must stop using that crap, but I'm too lazy to translate it myself)
Zaķis is the last name of the spokesman, but also "rabbit"

One of the best translation I had today was from russian:
"низкий уровень пола составляет 80%" meaning "80% low floor" was translated as "low levels of sex is 80%"

Old May 14th, 2010, 11:37 PM   #88
historyworks
Perpetual Bohemian

Likes (Received): 248

Quote:
One of the best translation I had today was from russian:
"низкий уровень пола составляет 80%" meaning "80% low floor" was translated as "low levels of sex is 80%"
Who said trams weren't exciting

(I also use Google translate to bridge the language gap but it is often crazy like this! Just a pity it doesn't include Georgian so I can read Tramwayman's great-looking Georgian blog.)

Frank H I was going to mention Melbourne but looking at recent photos I think finally even the old tourist trams have pantos. But yes it was fitted out for both for a few years during the transition period.
Old May 14th, 2010, 11:39 PM   #89
Tramwayman
Trams the Best!!!

Fjajajajajajajaaja
bunny
low levels of sex

Well about Skoda 15T in Riga.

At first only line 6 will be operated with low floor trams but inplans there is that the next line to operate with Skodas will be 11.
Old May 15th, 2010, 08:43 AM   #90
Hybrid 87
a.k.a. The King Arthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramwayman View Post
Well about Skoda 15T in Riga.

At first only line 6 will be operated with low floor trams but inplans there is that the next line to operate with Skodas will be 11.
Makes sense ... since line 6 and 11 share tracks for aprox. one third of they routes

Old May 17th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #91
Frank H

Quote:
Frank H I was going to mention Melbourne but looking at recent photos I think finally even the old tourist trams have pantos. But yes it was fitted out for both for a few years during the transition period.
Thanks for this info. The most recent photos and DVDs of Melbourne trams I accessed seemed to show that at that time - a couple of years ago - out of the W class trams, the green ones operating routes 30, 78/79, had been converted to pantos, while the maroon ones, operating the free City Circle route 35, still had trolleypoles. Incidentally does this route get a subsidy from Melbourne City Council so that it can be "no fare"?

As regards Riga, I am grateful to Hybrid 87 and this forum for informing me about an interesting system, of which I might otherwise have been largely unaware. I await further developments in Riga with interest.

Incidentally, Youtube videos of tram rides in Riga suggest to me that it is quite an attractive city even in the depths of winter.
Old May 18th, 2010, 12:16 AM   #92
historyworks
Perpetual Bohemian

Likes (Received): 248

I'm not totally up to date on Melbourne Frank H - even though Sydney and Melbourne are in the same country our distances place us 1,000 km apart so it's hard to "pop across the road" to have a look like you (sort of) can in Europe! But I imagine Melbourne would have pretty much completed transition to pantos - the Ws are being phased out (not before time) anyway. The free city loop is I think subsidised by the state government.

Riga looks like it has a great public transport system, certainly seems to put Sydney to shame (even though the colour scheme is the same, our politicians seem to think they can upgrade everything just with a coat of paint ).

You may also be interested in the 100% low floor hybrid (diesel generator) Skoda trolleybuses that seem to be very successful (while we in the old "west" still struggle with such concepts):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlU746drB0g
Old May 18th, 2010, 08:40 PM   #93
Frank H

Quote:

I'm not totally up to date on Melbourne Frank H - even though Sydney and Melbourne are in the same country our distances place us 1,000 km apart so it's hard to "pop across the road" to have a look like you (sort of) can in Europe!
Sadly, I haven't managed to make it across to "mainland" Europe for over 12 years now, although I used to go quite regularly as a younger man. My only regular experience of tram travel now is on the London (or Croydon) "Tramlink", which actually passes by the bottom of my garden.

Quote:
Riga looks like it has a great public transport system, certainly seems to put Sydney to shame (even though the colour scheme is the same, our politicians seem to think they can upgrade everything just with a coat of paint ).
In terms of size and complexity, what I have learnt about the Riga system, as far as trams are concerned, suggests that it is comparable to two other medium size tram operations, Antwerp and Gothenburg. All three are interesting systems. I have never visited any of these cities, and sadly perhaps never will.

Incidentally, Gothenburg (Goteborg) rather resembles Melbourne in that when nearly all of the rest of the cities in their respective countries were giving up on trams, these two cities resolutely decided to keep theirs (although I gather there were some plans - quickly discarded - to replace much of the Gothenburg system by an underground metro). In both cases, their larger compatriot cities, Stockholm and Sydney, must rather wish they had kept theirs, and both are trying to resurrect them (perhaps rather half-heartedly in Sydney's case?).

Quote:
You may also be interested in the 100% low floor hybrid (diesel generator) Skoda trolleybuses that seem to be very successful (while we in the old "west" still struggle with such concepts)
Ah trolleybuses! I remember seeing and travelling on three systems in the UK in the '50s. As far as I know, there are now no such systems left here, and haven't been for many, many years.
Old May 19th, 2010, 08:05 PM   #94
Tramwayman
Trams the Best!!!

Pitty for you cause Trolleybuses are superb transport.
They're so quiet and cofortable, have great acceleration (same as tram or better in some cases).
Old May 21st, 2010, 09:20 PM   #95
Frank H

"Tramwayman" - many thanks for providing this link on the Prague trams thread:
http://transphoto.ru

Following this gets to a nice section on Riga:
http://transphoto.ru/city/35/

And from this to:
http://transphoto.ru/photo/252450/
which is one of the most detailed maps of the Riga tram and trolleybus system that I have seen.

Perhaps "Hybrid 87" or any other Riga inhabitant could comment on its accuracy?
Old May 21st, 2010, 11:21 PM   #96
Tramwayman
Trams the Best!!!

Frank there are some unexisting trolley catenary well there are some mistakes on this map

but wait soon there will be new one and there will not be any mistakes.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 08:29 PM   #97
Hybrid 87
a.k.a. The King Arthur

@Frank H you haven't seen mine map

The catenary/tram track map isn't the accurate, but here is one I made myself some month ago (made without any reference, just used my memory), but still it has some mistakes

Click for larger image (2448x2374)

I looked through the link about Riga and noticed the pictures of "historic" tickets. I (well ok, my wife) has a huge collection of all kinds of tickets since 1990-2009. To see it go to my website - http://www.rigashadow.net.tc >> Usefull info >> Riga Public transport (or directly here - http://rigashadow.t35.com/info/riga/index.html )

Old May 24th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #98
Frank H

Quote:
@Frank H you haven't seen mine map

The catenary/tram track map isn't the accurate, but here is one I made myself some month ago (made without any reference, just used my memory), but still it has some mistakes
Many thanks for your map, which I am sure will be more accurate and up-to-date than the one from transphoto.ru.

The transphoto map does position and name the stops en route. Also it seems to give the route allocations of each depot. But how accurate or up-to-date are these details?

I thank you also for your hard work in providing us with so much information on - and pictures of - the Riga systems. One of your photos of Riga trams is now the wallpaper background for the desktop on my PC!
Old May 24th, 2010, 07:41 PM   #99
Tramwayman
Trams the Best!!!

Transphoto map is new and everything on it is new.
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #100
Hybrid 87
a.k.a. The King Arthur

The transphoto maps has more info on it, I just show where are the tram tracks/trolleybus wires. So I guess since each maps shows a bit different info it would be hard to say which one is more up to date. But if we search for the date on each map then it is like this:
transphoto published the map on 08.12.2009.
mine was completed and published on ssc on 21.12.2009.

Rīgas Satiksme homepage (http://www.rigassatiksme.lv) if you open the route to be showed on map shows the to and out of depot route for trams and trolleybuses (for example trolleybus route #1 - http://saraksti.rigassatiksme.lv/?a=...html&l=en#2345)

P.S.
May I ask which picture is your wallpaper Frank H?