daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 14th, 2014, 11:39 AM   #161
Kr0x

Likes (Received): 128

I found the public transport in Riga pretty convenient, especially the newer trolleybuses and the low-floor Skoda trams. I also witnessed a ticket control, our tram was suddenly stopped in the middle of a green space between stops and a whole army of ticket-controlles came inside to check the tickets. Still have an e-talons ticket here.
Kr0x no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2014, 09:07 PM   #162
Hybrid 87
a.k.a. The King Arthur

Likes (Received): 525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
Transport type specific monthly tickets are a fun leftover of the Soviet era. There were so many options to pick and choose: just trolleybus, just bus, just tram, trolleybus-tram, trolleybus-bus, tram-bus, and trolleybus-tram-bus.
The transport type specific monthly tickets are indeed a leftover from the soviet era, but it was also "needed" since until 2003 buses were operated by two companies ("Tālava" and "Imanta"), but trolleybuses and trams were operated by another company ("Tramvaju un Trolejbusu Pārvalde").

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr0x View Post
I found the public transport in Riga pretty convenient, especially the newer trolleybuses and the low-floor Skoda trams. I also witnessed a ticket control, our tram was suddenly stopped in the middle of a green space between stops and a whole army of ticket-controlles came inside to check the tickets. Still have an e-talons ticket here.
In Riga you can get two types of ticket controlls:
A - between two stops (which you witnessed). In this situation it is easier to check every passanger. The controll is performed by at least 6 poeple and offten assited by the police (if somone refues to cooperate with the personal). And everything goes according to this plan:
* as soon as the vechicle drives has recieved the signal to stop (with a signal wand from the control personal) the ability to validate tickets on this vechicle is blocked.
* during the control process all vechicle doors are closed because noone is allowed to enter/exit the vechicle.
* when every passanger has been checked the control personal exits the vechile taking the passangers without a valid ticket with them to write out a "bill" for the fine of fare dodging or to be paid by the passanger in cash.
* as soon as the vechicle continues it's journey the ability to validate tickets is turned on again.

B - during the trip. In this situation the control is perfomed by 2-3 people which enter the vechicle at one stop and usually drive to the next stop or until every passanger has been checked. Here they need to remember who enters the vechicle with them (so they do not mistaken them for fare dodgers and allow them to validate the ticket). Also here it is risky not to catch every fare dodger as here it is possible to validate the ticket during the control as soon as someone notices the control (a lot of fare dodgers use a little trick in winter - they hide the ticket in their gloves and "accidentely" move their hand over the validator and the controlling personel can't fine them since they have a validated ticket).

As for the fines of fare dodging. The system was changed one or two years ago (don't know how much it's now in EUR, but I'll use the official rate):
1. If you don't have a ticket at all:
1.1. If you pay in cash immidiately - 4.30EUR;
1.2. If you can't pay in cash and:
1.2.1. you haven't dodged fares within the last 12 months - 7.20EUR;
1.2.2. you have dodged fares once within the last 12 months - 14.30EUR;
1.2.3. you have dodged fares twice within the last 12 months - 28.60EUR;
1.2.4. you have dodged fares three or more times within the last 12 months - 57.30EUR;
2. If you have a ticket which could have been validated for the route of the vechicle but you didn't validate it:
2.1. If you pay in cash immidiately - 2.90EUR;
2.2. If you can't pay in cash and:
2.2.1. you haven't dodged fares within the last 12 months - 4.30EUR;
2.2.2. you have dodged fares once within the last 12 months - 7.20EUR;
2.2.3. you have dodged fares twice within the last 12 months - 14.30EUR;
2.2.4. you have dodged fares three or more times within the last 12 months - 28.60EUR.

The fines in the second point also apply for person who have a 100% discount (so they ride for free). Everyone (and it really means everyone) must validate their ticket, no matter if it's for a full price, 50% discount or even 100% discount.

Kr0x liked this post
Hybrid 87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 10:14 PM   #163
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2896

The worst is that quite often the vehicle you board is too crowded for you to validate your ticket. And with that kind of service why would you even bother validating it?

This is not Japan where there is no more capacity to add - the most used transport in Rīga, which now at 890 000 people/month is tram line 6, at rush hours runs only about every 6 minutes. I know for a fact that the company has enough rolling stock to have a service of every 2 minutes on at least one line without disturbing other service intervals.

I reckon 4 minutes would be just right for tram 6.
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 10:56 PM   #164
Hybrid 87
a.k.a. The King Arthur

If I see a crowded vechicle comming which I need to get on I try to "squezze" in the first doors (right besides the driver) as it's always easy to validate the ticket on the machine with which the driver sells tickets. But it only works on vechicles like Solaris buses/trolleybuses or Škoda 24Tr where the driver cabin isn't fully isolated by a wall.

Also I have several times complained that the positioning of the validators is really bad - they on the left side of the vechicle (opposite side to doors) so you always have to squeze through to the other side. IMO it would be better if the validators would right besides the doors (on the holding poles where are the buttons for door opening). But the only response I have recieved is "The validators are placed at the most convenient places in the vehicle".
But here is how it looks like:
Blue dots - current placement (pleace correct me if I've misplaced any one)
Red dots - where would I like to see them
Old January 14th, 2014, 11:06 PM   #165
Hybrid 87
a.k.a. The King Arthur

Sorry forgot to mention this one:
19.09.2013. - Push the button and open the doors yourself
With Škoda 15T trams being the first vechicle which used the system where passangers open the doors themselves (by pressing a button) and according to the positive feedback from passangers (especially in winter months) Rīgas Satiksme started to use this system on other vechicles as well.
Up to 60% of the current rolling stock already was equiped with this system, but it was never used or activated. Now all the vechicle which have this feature have special markings on the doors.

Currently the only models without this feature are:
Škoda 14Tr, Škoda 15Tr, Belkomunmash AKSM-333, Mercedes-Benz O345, Mercedes-Benz O345G, Mercedes-Benz Citaro (all versions), Tatra T3A, Tatra T3M.

All future vechicle purchase will have a request for such system to be added to each vechicle.
Old January 15th, 2014, 05:55 PM   #166
BriedisUnIzlietne

What is that button system on the Citaros? Was it too hard for Rīgas Satiksme to understand how it works or something? (PS - How does it actually work? Proximity sensor or something?)

But it's not like everybody uses the button operated door system - many buses which feature it don't use it since it's too slow and delays the buses. Drivers might rely on their sight and open the necessary (or all) doors themselves (even in the 18m long buses), some might not stop at a stop at all if they don't see anybody at it and nobody has pressed "stop" button.
This is also true for all buses and possibly trolleybuses equipped only with "stop" buttons (which lack "open doors" function): ALL Mercedes buses, Škoda 14TrM, Škoda 15TrM, AKSM-333.

I've noticed that while trolleybuses use the button operated doors, almost all bus drivers do it the old fashioned way.

Anyways - it's best to push the "STOP" button on all vehicles shortly after departing the previous stop.
Old January 15th, 2014, 06:40 PM   #167
Hybrid 87
a.k.a. The King Arthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriedisUnIzlietne View Post

What is that button system on the Citaros? Was it too hard for Rīgas Satiksme to understand how it works or something? (PS - How does it actually work? Proximity sensor or something?)
Sorry, but where do you see "button system" on these Citaros?

The only button on the outside are for the handicaped people to call for drivers assistance. On the inside they have the usual "STOP" button to let the driver know that someone want's to exit. And the "emergency switch" to open the the doors.

Quote:
But it's not like everybody uses the button operated door system - many buses which feature it don't use it since it's too slow and delays the buses. Drivers might rely on their sight and open the necessary (or all) doors themselves (even in the 18m long buses), some might not stop at a stop at all if they don't see anybody at it and nobody has pressed "stop" button.
I must say that if there is a "delay" it's for 1-3 seconds. While the poeple who want to get on the vechicle understand that they need to press the button because noone is exiting.

And the drivers MUST stop at all stops even if there is noone at the stop and noone has pressed the "STOP" button. Otherwise they might get in trouble and even pay reduction.

Quote:
This is also true for all buses and possibly trolleybuses equipped only with "stop" buttons (which lack "open doors" function): ALL Mercedes buses, Škoda 14TrM, Škoda 15TrM, AKSM-333.
Yes all the "old" vechicles can be equipped with this system, but why waste money on a vechicle which will be written off in a few years (Škoda 14Tr, 15TR and AKSM-333 will be written off when the new trolleybus order arrives, MB O345 series is already half written off). The one which will be longer used are the Citaros

Quote:
I've noticed that while trolleybuses use the button operated doors, almost all bus drivers do it the old fashioned way.
That isn't really objective ... I've noticed that it's different from day-to-day and from stop-to-stop. Since I use the trolleybus now everyday I even start to remember the drivers and I see that on one day he let's the buttons do the work, but on the next day he always opens all the doors. So I guess there is no strong policy from Rigas Satiksme side.

It's the same as for the "tilting" system - the drivers don't have to use this system but it's appreciated

Quote:
Anyways - it's best to push the "STOP" button on all vehicles shortly after departing the previous stop.
It hasn't to be shortly after departing ... the latest is before the vechicle has stopped at the next stop.
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:14 PM   #168
BriedisUnIzlietne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid 87 View Post
Sorry, but where do you see "button system" on these Citaros?
I can't find any pictures but I have noticed three kinds of stop related buttons on the Citaros so I made a schematic:

The first one on the left is the one I'm talking about. It can be found on the right of all doors except the first ones and with a good eye can be found in your pictures too.
Quote:
I must say that if there is a "delay" it's for 1-3 seconds. While the poeple who want to get on the vechicle understand that they need to press the button because noone is exiting.
Well for some reason the bus drivers don't like it. Only about once a week I get a bus which uses the system.
Quote:
And the drivers MUST stop at all stops even if there is noone at the stop and noone has pressed the "STOP" button. Otherwise they might get in trouble and even pay reduction.
But they don't. Once a bus didn't even stop at Gustava Zemgala gatve!
Quote:
Yes all the "old" vechicles can be equipped with this system, but why waste money on a vechicle which will be written off in a few years (Škoda 14Tr, 15TR and AKSM-333 will be written off when the new trolleybus order arrives, MB O345 series is already half written off). The one which will be longer used are the Citaros
You didn't understand what I wrote... Es teicu, ka manis minētajiem transportiem ir STOP pogas, kuras tikai paziņo, ka tu vēlies izkāpt vadītājam un ka tās tomēr labāk nospiest, jo ir gadījies gan O345, gan O530, gan AKSM-333, ka tie neaptur pieturā vai neatver manas durvis (AKSM gadījumā).
Quote:
It hasn't to be shortly after departing ... the latest is before the vechicle has stopped at the next stop.
That's my personal opinion. Bus the bus might not stop at all if you don't press it a bit earlier. I know that this is not in the rules but it might just save you quite a bit of walking. Trust me, I know
Old January 17th, 2014, 07:53 PM   #169
Hybrid 87
a.k.a. The King Arthur

Quote:
I can't find any pictures but I have noticed three kinds of stop related buttons on the Citaros so I made a schematic:

The first one on the left is the one I'm talking about. It can be found on the right of all doors except the first ones and with a good eye can be found in your pictures too.
Well if you put it this way ... yes there are such buttons ... wierd ... I think that here is some other part of the system missing (which coasts extra, and when the busses were bought noone needed that system) ... but they will be written off before all passanger will start to use the system correctly.
Old January 17th, 2014, 08:28 PM   #170
BriedisUnIzlietne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid 87 View Post
Well if you put it this way ... yes there are such buttons ... wierd ... I think that here is some other part of the system missing (which coasts extra, and when the busses were bought noone needed that system)
On 18th November at a stop (Gustava Zemgala gatve) the Citaro I was on closed it's doors so to not let the cold in but was stationary due to the red traffic light. I noticed that the "ATVĒRT DURVIS" text lit up! (Green, if I'm not mistaken). This means that the driver enabled door opening by button pressing!

Sadly I wasn't outside to try it and nobody else entered/exited the bus.
But it still is proof that the buses have that system and it's in operating condition albeit not in use.
Quote:
... but they will be written off before all passanger will start to use the system correctly.
This though might be the main and actual problem.
A few days ago my tram didn't open it's doors at a stop for a while because the driver wanted to shout at an old lady who pressed the "speak to driver" button instead of "open doors".

The Czech who designed the tram probably thought that absolutely no one would be so stupid to mistake a 1cm small gray button on a side panel with black lettering "SPEAK TO DRIVER" to be the button for door opening - of which there are two, 5cm large, yellow, in the middle of the doors, with green LEDs around it and two large hand stickers pointing towards them. But he was wrong...

So the German who made the Merc system probably thought that everybody would understand what exactly each button does and how and when to press it. But this is not Germany. I mean - there are people in Latvia who on trams ask "what bus is this?" and celebrate New Year by Moscow time even...

stockholm79, Hybrid 87 liked this post
Old January 18th, 2014, 04:38 PM   #171
AW-d

Likes (Received): 331

Riga tramway

Škoda 15T Trams

Old March 26th, 2014, 05:40 PM   #172
BriedisUnIzlietne

Changes to night transport

Starting from 4th April all night bus routes will be operated by Rīgas Mikroautobusu satiksme. The routes will be served by minibuses which feature more comfortable seats than the midibuses they will replace. But this change also means restricted access for disabled people. If any disabled people wish to use the night transport, they will be required to book their travel so that an accessible vehicle can be put on route.

All 9 routes will retain the current schedule: operating only on nights from Friday to Saturday and Saturday to Sunday, they leave the city center every hour on the hour and head back at every 30 minutes past the hour.

The ticket costs € 1,50 for anybody who isn't a disabled person as they ride for free.
Old April 14th, 2014, 10:41 PM   #173
BriedisUnIzlietne

People who work at Rīgas Satiksme claim that in order to cut costs the company is preparing reduce the number of cars that trams that operate on lines 2 and 10 have from the usual 2 cars to just 1.

Some years ago trams on line 10 were single car ones but then, for reasons you can see in the picture above (tram is full to the brim), they upped it to two cars. Kinda strange that they might move back to one car since even the two car trams are quite full in the mornings.

As for tram line 2 (in the picture above) - it has always been very empty since the radio factory that it served reduced in size from a massive industrial giant to a light industrial unit. The people at Rīgas Satiksme claim that closing the line altogether is also possibility...

In the end I would like to add pictures of Riga's old trolleybuses and trams operating in Ukraine. For some they didn't even bother to change the livery.

geometarkv, kyah117, Agnette, MK Tom liked this post
Old August 13th, 2014, 06:42 PM   #174
BriedisUnIzlietne

New tram line (?)

I guess that somebody has gotten bored - there is a random news article about a new tram line through Skanste.

I say "has gotten bored" because the project hasn't even gotten approval from the city council yet and they don't know if they will get money for that project. The current estimated project costs are 128 million euro which includes the building of the infrastructure and buying 12 new low-floor trams.

Skanste is a fairly new district that has many office buildings, high-rise elite residential buildings, the Olympic sport center and Arena "Rīga"

For me It's hard to say what would be the exact routes on that line and where they've gotten that they will need exactly 12 new trams for that. Although I guess that they could make line 6 a loop line Jugla - VEF - Centrālā stacija - Skanste - VEF - Jugla. Same goes for line 11 for Mežaparks direction.

The tram rolling stock is very old and in need of replacing. Currently only lines 6 and 11 have new low-floor trams and the purchasing of new trams for line 4 is delayed due to lack of money.
Meanwhile
the first of the 125 new trolleybuses and 175 new buses should be delivered soon and will replace absolutely all remaining high-floor vehicles: Mercedes O345 buses, Škoda 14Tr and Škoda 15Tr trolleybuses.
Old August 24th, 2014, 11:24 PM   #175
BriedisUnIzlietne

The city has begun the process of widespread bus shelter replacement with new ones of unified design. Up until now most shelter varied in both design and color. The new shelters bring many benefits (sarcasm alert) for the traveler such as more uncomfortable metal benches and less wind protection! But the ad companies are happy because the new stops are fitted with rolling adverts, which means much more advertisements!

Old August 25th, 2014, 04:03 PM   #176
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:

I have a question. Those two pics show a tram with pantograph and another with old system (like Toronto, don´t know the english term, in german "Stangenstromabnehmer"). How does this work together?

Normally a pantograph needs a catenary which alternates position from 35 cm left to right e. g.. This is to reduce failures and wear at the contact catenary-pantograph.

The old trolley-system on the first picture Needs to have a catenary which follows exactly an imaginary line between the rails because otherwise the risk of interrupting energy is too big. This case is interesting.
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2014, 11:56 AM   #177
BriedisUnIzlietne

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnel owl View Post
I have a question. Those two pics show a tram with pantograph and another with old system (like Toronto, don´t know the english term, in german "Stangenstromabnehmer"). How does this work together?
Minor note: That pantograph one in the picture is actually our old tram in Ukraine. In Rīga only the new Škoda trams have pantographs. But yes, we have trams with both pantographs and... the other ones.
Quote:
Normally a pantograph needs a catenary which alternates position from 35 cm left to right e. g.. This is to reduce failures and wear at the contact catenary-pantograph.

The old trolley-system on the first picture Needs to have a catenary which follows exactly an imaginary line between the rails because otherwise the risk of interrupting energy is too big. This case is interesting.
The wires zig-zag on lines 6 and 11 (the only lines with new trams) and the company just accepts the risk for the old trams which run on the same routes. Currently line 4 is slowly getting rewired for new trams.

Straight wires over the trolley-only Ganību dambis tram line
(picture from http://transphoto.ru/photo/646246/)

Zig-zag wires on line 11 which on rare occasions can see trolley trams up to every 2 minutes
(picture from http://transphoto.ru/photo/660184/)

Trolleybus and trolley/pantograph tram wire intersection
(picture from http://transphoto.ru/photo/705896/)

kyah117, geometarkv liked this post
Old September 1st, 2014, 10:18 PM   #178

Likes (Received): 1

Tram depots in Riga

I am engaged in a project where I am trying to locate the depots for the tram systems in (to start with) Europe. I have just done Riga, but I have a query. I've found...
Depot No. 3 near Lubanas Iela,
Depot No. 4 in the Telts Iela Loop, and
Depot No. 5 on the north side of Brivibas Iela.
What are (or were) Depots Nos. 1 & 2? Were they tram depots that are now closed or are they other depots for, say, buses and/or trolley buses?

Thanks in advance.
43106 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2014, 08:14 AM   #179
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
The wires zig-zag on lines 6 and 11 (the only lines with new trams) and the company just accepts the risk for the old trams which run on the same routes. Currently line 4 is slowly getting rewired for new trams.
Thank you for giving this somewhat special information, good news.

Kind regards
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2014, 04:57 PM   #180
BriedisUnIzlietne

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43106 View Post
I am engaged in a project where I am trying to locate the depots for the tram systems in (to start with) Europe. I have just done Riga, but I have a query. I've found...
Depot No. 3 near Lubanas Iela,
Depot No. 4 in the Telts Iela Loop, and
Depot No. 5 on the north side of Brivibas Iela.
What are (or were) Depots Nos. 1 & 2? Were they tram depots that are now closed or are they other depots for, say, buses and/or trolley buses?

Thanks in advance.
They are other depots
Depot 1 - trolleybuses
Depot 2 - trolleybuses
Depot 3 - trams
Depot 4 - trams (closed since 2010)
Depot 5 - trams (including 26 low floor trams)
Depot 6 "Imanta" - buses
Depot 7 "Tālava" - buses

There are also tram systems in Liepāja and Daugavpils. Both with one depot.