daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 15th, 2010, 06:46 AM   #21
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ Great to hear, SG!

So with tenants signed on, looks like the chances have improved that they'll be able to get this project off the ground
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2010, 07:20 AM   #22
paytonc
Pragmatist

Likes (Received): 0

The one thing that concerns me is the massing: the tall hotel should be north of Harper Court. As it is, with a taller building to its south, that space will be in shadow for much of the year.

Hotel Indigo is fine, but I would've bet on Hyatt Place instead -- they're in an expansion mode and probably have a lower average rate. Plus, Hyatt Place has limited food & beverage = lower risk, more business for the restaurants, and lower buildout cost. (If I were to choose any one brand for this neighborhood, though, it'd be aloft.) Fresh Market seems like a better fit than Whole Foods, due to its smaller footprint, but it might have substantial product overlap with Hyde Park Produce. I wonder if Village Foods will come back when that site's redeveloped? It serves a very different, and necessary, price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
http://www.chicagomaroon.com/2010/10...o-harper-court

However, the prospect of a 24-hour-diner—an idea that had earlier gained traction among both students and project developers—is less certain, he said. While Vermilion has reached out to diners, there has yet to be any serious discussion of a 24-hour diner.
Not even a franchise operation, like IHOP?

Last edited by paytonc; January 6th, 2011 at 10:03 PM. Reason: more hotel brand editorializing
paytonc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 02:14 PM   #23
urbanpln

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Looks like it will be a Hotel Indigo.
I don't think so. It will probably be a Hyatt Place.
urbanpln no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 02:58 AM   #24
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanpln View Post
I don't think so. It will probably be a Hyatt Place.
Any specific knowledge of this? The only reason I ask is because I saw Intercontinental Hotels Group/Hotel Indigo on the brief bid description. It may very well be inaccurate though.

Anyway, reading through the documents for the IFA bonds (which were approved) revealed some new information about the hotel.

Six floors - 130 rooms
Designed by Legat (that may be a good or bad thing)
Includes a restaurant/wine bar plus 4k sf for another restaurant
They've brought in some companies that specialize in developing and operating hotels near university campuses.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 04:33 AM   #25
spyguy
Expert

http://www.hpherald.com/

Harper Court Hitting Stride
By Sam Cholke

...Cocagne said a bank has agreed to a term sheet to finance the $114 million project. He said a hotel operator for the project would be announced in February.

He said leases for 60 percent of the retail spaces are being finalized, but declined to name any tenants.
Old January 19th, 2011, 04:33 AM   #26
spyguy
Expert

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...#axzz1BRTam0Xr

In brief: Harper Court | Newcastle buy | Hyatt
By: Staff January 18, 2011

The firm tapped to redevelop Hyde Park's Harper Court shopping center has letters of intent for 60% of the roughly 80,000 square feet of retail space planned and is close to lining up financing for the roughly $100-million first phase, says David Cocagne of Vermilion Development Inc. Mr. Cocagne says the Chicago-based firm has a term sheet with an equity investor and that he hopes to have the same from a lender by April, which would allow construction to get under way later this year. The first phase of the project at 5211 S. Harper Ave. is to include retail along with a hotel and a 150,000-square-foot office building that would be used by the University of Chicago. The development, estimated to cost a total of $240 million, last year was awarded $20-million in tax-increment financing from the city and also obtained necessary zoning approvals.
Old March 4th, 2011, 04:27 AM   #27
spyguy
Expert

So it will be a Hyatt Place

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...k-neighborhood

Hyatt Place planned for Hyde Park neighborhood
By: Eddie Baeb March 03, 2011

A Hyatt Place hotel is on tap for Hyde Park.

Two out-of-state firms plan to build a Hyatt Place with about 130 rooms at the University of Chicago-owned Harper Court shopping center, as part of the ambitious redevelopment plan for the property at Harper Avenue just north of 53rd Street.
Old March 4th, 2011, 07:28 AM   #28
The Urban Politician
The City

^ Great news!

Will having a nice hotel finally make regular cab service a reality in Hyde Park? That was one of my biggest frustrations when I lived down there..
Old March 4th, 2011, 05:15 PM   #29
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

It's all coming together. We are witnessing the genesis of downtown Hyde Park.
Old March 4th, 2011, 10:23 PM   #30
urbanpln

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
It's all coming together. We are witnessing the genesis of downtown Hyde Park.
There will also be a five screen (fine arts/first run) movie theater. It will be located in a renovated Hyde Park Theater building. The building is located just west of the proposed new development (west side of Harper Avenue). Five Guys is also opening a store ajacent to the theater(fronting on 53rd Street). Also other restaurantuers are being courted.
urbanpln no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 05:41 AM   #31
spyguy
Expert

More info on the Hyatt Place @ Harper Court

http://www.hpherald.com

Hyatt snared for Harper Court
By Sam Cholke

The developers of Harper Court announced March 3 they have partnered with Smart Hotels and Olympia Chicago to build a 130-room Hyatt Hotel.

The hotel, currently called Hyatt Place at Hyde Park, will include a restaurant, wine bar, pool, fitness facilities, meeting space and underground parking garage for guests.

...The hotel will be the second of Hyatt’s Gem Two properties, which frees the developers to be more creative with the interior and exterior design.
The building will be six stories and covered in large zinc and brown panels of alternating hues, according to Allen Bombick of Legat Architects. The south west corner of the building will rise in a tower of suite windows that illuminate the street below in the evenings.
Old March 14th, 2011, 05:51 AM   #32
The Urban Politician
The City

^ Awesomeness!
Old April 24th, 2011, 05:53 AM   #33
skyduster

Likes (Received): 325

Wow....wow wow wow....few developments impress me as much as this one.

This one's got it all:
  1. beautiful modern architecture (and as a preservationist, I'm absolutely thrilled that it's not replacing a pre-WWII building)
  2. it will replace a strip mall and parking lot (LOVE IT)
  3. it will be street-friendly, because it looks just as good from the street as it does from the air, and will have a vibrant and welcoming first-floor dedicated to retail (awesome!)
  4. it's a mixed-use development
  5. brings badly-needed development into Hyde Park

pluses, all around. Great development, can't wait til it's done.

Lake Park Avenue and 53rd will now look amazing with this new development right across the street from the gorgeous beaux-arts Hyde Park Bank building.

Quote:
What's the matter with Hyde Park?

A really great series in Time Out that I've been meaning to post for a while and that I suggest you read. The most fascinating part is the response from various local restaurateurs when asked if they have ever considered opening in Hyde Park.
Thanks for sharing that article. Hyde Park has so much potential, and it's disappointing that it doesn't use its full potential. I too have noticed the small number of restaurants and bars in Hyde Park. A girl I once worked with, who lived in Hyde Park, told me that local residents are very NIMBYish when it comes to nightlife businesses, because they just don't want Hyde Park to become like Lincoln Park/Lakeview/Bucktown/Wicker Park. They want HP to be quiet, but this article doesn't say that. According to the article, HP just doesn't have the population to sustain more nightlife businesses. Interesting.

HELP PROMOTE MEDITERRANEAN GARDENING FOR MEDITERRANEAN CLIMATE REGIONS

boycott dolphinariums
BAN DOLPHINARIUMS IN EUROPE AND WORLDWIDE
Help us make the EU a dolphinarium-free zone
skyduster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #34
spyguy
Expert

http://www.hpherald.com/

Harper Court project on schedule
By Sam Cholke

The redevelopment of the Harper Court shopping center is on schedule with more demolition coming soon.

At a April 19 meeting with the Hyde Park Chamber of Commerce, developers said they were still finalizing leases and financing for the project, but would be moving forward with clearing the site in coming months. The building west of Harper Avenue, the former home of the Hyde Park Animal Clinic and state Sen. Kwame Raoul (D-13), will be demolished this summer. The cleared site will be the major staging ground for the rest of the project, which will include a hotel, retail and an office tower.
----

Apparently the gym will now be smaller than expected, the retail facing the new streets will be mostly restaurants with a high end restaurant for the corner, and they're trying to get clothing stores on Lake. The Harper side of the hotel will feature a wine bar while the opposite side will have retail.

The design seems to be catching a lot of flack around the web but I think it's alright. Better than what I expected after seeing a B&W version of the aerial rendering.
Old May 4th, 2011, 05:02 AM   #35
spyguy
Expert

It just keeps getting better

Not technically Harper Court (but across the street) and obviously not fine dining, but a great addition that will add life to Hyde Park 24/7.

http://news.uchicago.edu/article/201...nt-53rd-street

UChicago lands Clarke’s 24-hour restaurant on 53rd Street

The University of Chicago is bringing Clarke’s restaurant, a 24-hour Chicago-area diner, to 53rd Street in Hyde Park.

...Scheduled to open later this year, Clarke’s will offer a wide variety of menu choices, including specialty salads, stir-fry dishes, sandwiches and a host of additional breakfast, lunch and dinner items. The restaurant addresses a longstanding interest among students and other community members for more late-night options.

...Clarke’s will occupy 4,000 square feet within the 1451 E. 53rd St. building, which the University purchased earlier this month. T-Mobile occupies the remaining space.
Old May 4th, 2011, 06:24 AM   #36
paytonc
Pragmatist

Wow! I became far too familiar with the city's various 24-hour haunts after missing the last #6 bus many Friday nights -- never thought that I could indulge my insomnia right in Hyde Park. Plus, Clarke's is not awful.

Downsizing the gym makes sense; doesn't seem like there's a critical mass of non-university affiliated yuppies nearby to justify a workout palace.
Old May 5th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #37
paytonc
Pragmatist

Speaking of wow, Whole Foods will replace Village Foods with a store about the size of its Ashland location.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,5678058.story
http://hydeparkprogress.blogspot.com...-and-lake.html

Last edited by paytonc; May 5th, 2011 at 05:45 PM.
paytonc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 06:47 PM   #38
spyguy
Expert

Office tower

LA Fitness on the second floor

Retail stump awaiting future condo tower addition

Announced tenants so far include Chipotle and an Apple Authorized Campus Store. I'm not sure what that means in terms of store design, staff, products, etc.
Old August 10th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #39
spyguy
Expert

LA Fitness and the University of Chicago have officially signed leases for the retail and office portions, respectively.

These renderings are a little old but they might still accurately represent the street level experience.

Better renderings of the Harper Theater redevelopment across the street

As mentioned earlier in another thread, the University now owns the Borders building across the street and is looking for new tenants. They're also issuing a RFQ to develop housing + retail on the McMobil site further west.
Old August 11th, 2011, 07:15 AM   #40
skyduster

Likes (Received): 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Wow! I became far too familiar with the city's various 24-hour haunts after missing the last #6 bus many Friday nights -- never thought that I could indulge my insomnia right in Hyde Park. Plus, Clarke's is not awful.
lol...Clarke's is a reliable place to eat late on a Saturday night/wee hours of Sunday morning.

Clarke's will be a great addition to the area.

HELP PROMOTE MEDITERRANEAN GARDENING FOR MEDITERRANEAN CLIMATE REGIONS

boycott dolphinariums
BAN DOLPHINARIUMS IN EUROPE AND WORLDWIDE
Help us make the EU a dolphinarium-free zone
skyduster no está en línea   Reply With Quote