daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Old February 9th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #1
gegloma01

Likes (Received): 681

Project Skylines | Canary Wharf | 50fl | 40fl

806 residential units, a 123-bed hotel (Class C1), flexible business space etc.

The proposed blocks will be arranged as follows:
Block A: 23 storeys
Block B: 40 storeys (141.6m AOD)
Block B1: 50 storeys (168.2m AOD)
Block C: 23 storeys (85.4m AOD
+ Block D and E lowrise.

Link: http://194.201.98.213/WAM/showCaseFi...mber=PA/10/182

in blue:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
gegloma01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 9th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #2
heywindup
B─NNED

Likes (Received): 3

Unbelievably ugly
heywindup no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #3
bstl

Likes (Received): 2

My verdict:
We'll all moan about it now, but I can see at least myself letting it grow on me with a similar Miami-esque charm to Pan Peninsula
Old February 9th, 2010, 08:28 PM   #4
bstl

btw, gegloma01, does that first image come with a key corresponding to the numbers? I know we probably know them all between us, but it's a nice little overview of what's to come.
Old February 9th, 2010, 08:31 PM   #5
potto

Likes (Received): 1843

oh great stuff! At last is all i can say.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 09:08 PM   #6
Manuel

Likes (Received): 15

I just had a look at the planning documents. The recycling of the site and the arangement of the blocks are good imo.
I also like the strong articulations of forms, materials and functions in the elevations. I have a big reservation regarding the blank red walls and the way it prevents future developments to fit in the evolutive urban fabric in the near future.
Old February 9th, 2010, 09:14 PM   #7
gegloma01

Likes (Received): 681

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstl View Post
btw, gegloma01, does that first image come with a key corresponding to the numbers? I know we probably know them all between us, but it's a nice little overview of what's to come.
image hosted on flickr
gegloma01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 09:36 PM   #8
Remusable

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
I just had a look at the planning documents. The recycling of the site and the arangement of the blocks are good imo.
I also like the strong articulations of forms, materials and functions in the elevations. I have a big reservation regarding the blank red walls and the way it prevents future developments to fit in the evolutive urban fabric in the near future.
If anyone didn't catch that, try thesaurus.com

As for the buildings I gotta protest. If there's anything Canary Wharf does well, it's style is quite appealing in a unifrom sort of way, plain glass cladding etc.. and if there's anything it misses, it's some inventive angles, slants, curves and points. This building is the opposite of what is needed surely.. ideally we'd have an interestingly shaped building with a low profile facade, rather than some boxes complete with a messy balcony effect and bright colours. I don't understand it, maybe I'm not smart enough.
Remusable no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 10:10 PM   #9
Ejit

Likes (Received): 0

Not sure about them, I'm never sure about several towers with the same/very similar design. I don't think they're terrible themselves though, and the red would probably be much more subtle in realisation.

Presumably that diagram's up to date, where's 1 Park Place?
Ejit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 11:29 PM   #10
bstl

cheers, gegloma01
Old February 9th, 2010, 11:32 PM   #11
tekken68

Likes (Received): 20

The elevation diagrams on the planning portal show just how incredibly dense the view of the docklands will appear from central london. Almost ridiculous even!

These renders are surely indicative, only a shade more detailed than all those Wood Wharf ones from Rogers Stirk we got 18 months ago??

Btw can anyone shed a light on what that slender tower is just to the south-east of the number "3" on the first diagram gegloma posted? Looks noticeably taller than PanP...
tekken68 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 12:07 AM   #12
Agent Vengence

Likes (Received): 1

I've coughed up stuff which looks better than that. Although not half as colourful.
Agent Vengence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 12:26 AM   #13
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 826

We would never allow architecture of this quality in central London and I'm disappointed that people think it's OK in Canary Wharf. I do, however, like the slimness of these towers. A bit less colour and losing the "random" quality of the facade and this could be revised into something good. However it needs a lot of work because right now it's minging. It looks one of those vile and patronisingly colourful housing estate blocks.
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 01:56 AM   #14
NicholasG

I love the density.
Sooooo... once all this is done, isn't it time they got rid of the fish market?

1) It stinks
2) Its ugly
3) Its in a "prime" location

NicholasG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 09:19 AM   #15
tylerburbank

fug.
tylerburbank no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 10:44 AM   #16
EnglishKevin
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remusable View Post
If anyone didn't catch that, try thesaurus.com

As for the buildings I gotta protest. If there's anything Canary Wharf does well, it's style is quite appealing in a unifrom sort of way, plain glass cladding etc.. and if there's anything it misses, it's some inventive angles, slants, curves and points. This building is the opposite of what is needed surely.. ideally we'd have an interestingly shaped building with a low profile facade, rather than some boxes complete with a messy balcony effect and bright colours. I don't understand it, maybe I'm not smart enough.
You're spot on , including the pretentious and affected thesaurus twaddle.
EnglishKevin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 11:08 AM   #17
london lad

Likes (Received): 479

In looks worse than the initial sleek slab in previous pics.What have they been drinking at Farrells. I'm not sure why they have need to copy the random coloured balconies of the nearby Angel House development.

In the pre-application talks between the developer and TH they were suggesting putting a large square to the NW of the site to opnen up the area but now it appears they have put in another tower. Not sure why TH would agree to that.

MODS- Can you merge the threads please.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=802420&page=2
london lad está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #18
london lad

Likes (Received): 479

In looks worse than the initial sleek slab in previous pics.What have they been drinking at Farrells. I'm not sure why they have need to copy the random coloured balconies of the nearby Angel House development.

In the pre-application talks between the developer and TH they were suggesting putting a large square to the NW of the site to opnen up the area but now it appears they have put in another tower. Not sure why TH would agree to that.

MODS- Can you merge the threads please.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=802420&page=2
london lad está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 11:34 AM   #19
potto

Likes (Received): 1843

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
Canary Wharf needs a big bold strip of colour, something visible from a distance. Against the silvery hues of the vast majority of the cluster i think this large expanse of red will work well. The pin pricks of colour from other angles will break it up nicely when closer.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #20
tekken68

Likes (Received): 20

OK, if we're to read these renders as gospel, does anyone ideas about likely cladding materials? Tile perhaps? Coloured glass? It all seems a bit initial-design idea. If this forum is almost unanimous in its disapproval (aside from the massing, I also detest this), do we really expect any council to find it appealing?

There must be a layer of gloss to this that the current pics do not hint at. Surely. Let's hope it's more World Tower Sydney than re-sprayed council block.

London Lad, do you or any others know what the slender tower is just below and to the right of the number 3 is, in the first diagram? Not Millharbour East/West, but to it's north-west??
tekken68 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: