daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 10th, 2010, 11:54 AM   #21
london lad

Likes (Received): 494

No.3 is the rather blocky & dull Arrowhead Quay. Do you mean the tower just to the south of that?? That is the site of Quay house in which several proposals have been worked up for the site (40-50fl resi block was the last plan) in the last 10 years but nothing has ever progressed to a planning application as yet. There is a thread for it somewhere.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 10th, 2010, 01:15 PM   #22
tekken68

Likes (Received): 20

Hmm...thank you verily. I hadn't a clue!
tekken68 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #23
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 3226

from skyscrapernews on this almost a year ago -

Quote:
Farrells are working on a huge new development in London called Skyline Village for ZBV Skyline Ltd just south of the main Canary Wharf cluster.

Located on a roughly triangular shaped site bounded to the north by Marsh Wall and to the west by Limeharbour, the DLR and Harbour Exchange, the plot is currently occupied by 59 low-rise office units, part of the areas hangover from the original attempts in the mid to late 1980s to regenerate it and attract business, any business, to what was at the time an industrial wasteland.

The plans which are at a tentative scoping stage involve the demolition of the existing office buildings in the area and their replacement by 903 apartments, a 150 bedroom hotel, a further apart hotel with another 150 bedrooms, 6,615 square metres of office space, 1,190 square metres of retail space, and to replace the demolished office buildings 7,989 square metres of space that will be suitable for everything from small businesses to community and leisure use.

Putting these figures in perspective, the completed residential portion of New Providence Wharf has 559 units in it indicating that to cram in everything the developer wants, there will have to be some towers in the area at the very least, something that is unlikely to be a problem as the site has been designated as suitable for tall buildings by the local council.

Early planning meetings have seen the developer try to get the council to approve a building of up to 52 storeys although this has been opposed by Tower Hamlets who feel the heights of the buildings should taper down uniformly from One Canada Square and that as a result the developer will have to justify anything above heights of other nearby buildings like Pan Peninsula.

Mitigating the council concerns about height however is their desire to create a gateway building to the Cubitt Town area, although for this to get the go-ahead it will have to be properly placed.

One thing the architects are already aspiring to is a new public square to be built on the north-western corner of the site next to the junction of Marsh Wall and Limeharbour, although this is likely to be a challenging brief for any architect thanks to the noisy railway that passes nearby. Another problem is its location and the position of any tall buildings on the rest of the site that would overshadow the public area for much of the day.

The next step of the scheme will be for all the interested parties including the developer, architect, the planning consultants Rolfe Judd, and the local council, to organise a design workshop whereby they can sit down together and play with blocks to start the formulation of a masterplan.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 04:09 PM   #24
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 190

Its good to see that applications for high rise residential developments are being submitted for PP. I'm not horrified by the design, but feel it has not yet matured, that the developers are testing at this stage how far they can develop the site (height, density). I assume the planners will push for trimming down the heights to be more consistent with adjacent developments and toning down the large solid red wall finishes. With a little more design work this could be a good project.
Black Cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 04:30 PM   #25
potto

Likes (Received): 2025

I felt that rawness too. I felt it with Alsops Old Street proposal. To me these are like edgy art, something vital like green shoots. I was very saddened to see Alsops proposal disappear. Having a planning process is a danger in this regard as it will lean toward 'smoothing' down buildings unless there is a clear agenda for the development. It is exciting to have architects who can keep their heads above the water.

With regards to the area in general I'm not sure people are actually grasping its context. Ive walked about the place quite a lot recently and I am quite clear when i say that this is an in-your-face, work-in-progress, contemporary area. There is literally nothing else apart from a few ghostly imprints from the past.

The last thing London and the area needs is an anti-climatic meeting point of Canary Wharf corporate dullness and unambitious dockside apartments that already make up the majority of the area.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 08:31 PM   #26
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1811

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform View Post
from skyscrapernews on this almost a year ago -
Yeah I remember this article. Just after we talked about it on here, if I remember correctly. Tends to happen a lot with that website.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #27
gothicform
Bossman

yeah imagine that, someone actually reading an application!

ps - the article predates the thread. actually, after a quick search of ssc i can't see anything about it at all on the entire forum. go on, find the posts on it because it turns out a quick search will reveal no-one talked about it which is why i stuck that article up i specifically remember finding the various documents when looking for something else.
Old February 11th, 2010, 12:41 AM   #28
london lad

Likes (Received): 494

Goth this thread (which I asked to be merged) first mentions the scoping report on the 22nd June whereas your site reports it ( admitably in more depth) on the 28th so Darjole is actually right.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=802420
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 01:20 AM   #29
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 382

The tall one looks quite interesting: well proportioned and with architectural interest from top to bottom. I like the subtle colours - I hope they remain subtle, and don't turn out like the awfully garish shorter skyscraper of the two. Colourful buildings are rarely successful, especially when they're bright red... and 100m tall.
Gherkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 01:35 AM   #30
ibiza
....ENGAGE

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gegloma01 View Post
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
I agree with Gherkin, indeed the taller tower and the adjecent smaller towers are quite ok, i like the colour combinations and the random outwards balconies.

It's the horrendous red part on the other side with the inside balconies that spoils the whole lot..
ibiza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 02:07 AM   #31
gothicform
Bossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
Goth this thread (which I asked to be merged) first mentions the scoping report on the 22nd June whereas your site reports it ( admitably in more depth) on the 28th so Darjole is actually right.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=802420
no mention of a scoping opinion though, unless its dollar bay, but fair enough. it just mentions a few meetings, unless i'm reading in the wrong place. *shrug*
Old February 11th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #32
Tazac
Briton's Most Wanted!!

Likes (Received): 2

I like the taller tower but I don't understand WHY they would add the Red Wall to the 2nd building. Its not even in-line with ANYTHING in the area and I live in Limeharbour so would know...... Maybe the red buses at ASDA's the idea came from?
Old February 11th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #33
gothicform
Bossman

it's not a red wall. it's terracotta. the materials used i don't think will be that bright red, it could just be more accurately rendered. the render posted on the first page is wrong.
Old February 11th, 2010, 03:39 PM   #34
Octoman
Just Relax

Likes (Received): 2930

This is a good place to try out new things. I dont find it particularly appealing myself but but given the location and the lack of sensitive buildings in the immediate vicinity I think this should go ahead, hopefully not dumbed down.
Octoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 04:31 PM   #35
JackF

Public Exhibition on Fri 12th and Sat 13th if anyone wants to see it.

Friday 12th 1300 - 2000.
Saturday 13th 1000 - 1300.

Unit 41 Skylines Village, E14 9TS

I'll stop in tomorrow.

If you're not wasted, the day is.
JackF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #36
Mikey
Aerial Erector

Likes (Received): 2

the red tower is well.... too red, but maybe as Goth suggests it wouldnt be quite that bright in the flesh... well lets hope not anyway. I quite like the tallest tower nice aspect ratio!
Old February 14th, 2010, 02:22 PM   #37
Astounded

Farrells Project Skylines Revealed
Quote:
Published on 10-02-2010 by Skyscrapernews.com

A planning application has been filed with the London borough of Tower Hamlets for the Project Skyline development designed by Farrells for a site adjacent to Marsh Wall and Limeharbour.

The development features a number of blocks on its triangular site lining the northern and western sides in two groups and stepping up in height to the north-western corner where a public square is planned that will extend out past the site further to the north-west. The rest of the southern portion of the site is largely filled by a pavilion block with a large green roof. whilst a new public throughfare will be created going from east to north and west.

The main towers on the site consist of four buildings with a number of uses that will accommodate 2,020 square metres of retail and 6,900 square metres of office space, 806 apartments, and a 123 bedroom hotel.

Lining the western elevation of Limeharbour is Block A which will be 23 storeys and 90.4 metres AOD, and connected to it is Block B that will be 40 storeys and 141.6 metres AOD. Along the northern side at Marsh Wall will be Block B1 rising to 50 storeys with a height of 168.2m AOD making it taller than Pen Peninsula, and Block C reaching 23 storeys and 85.4m AOD.

... more
Does block B1 at 168.2m AOD qualify as a skyscraper?
Old February 15th, 2010, 12:52 AM   #38
ismail

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astounded View Post
Farrells Project Skylines Revealed

Does block B1 at 168.2m AOD qualify as a skyscraper?
It depends on the AGL, I think sea level, and ground level at CW are not too far apart

Plus, it only needs to be 3 meter taller than PP (147m) for it to be a official skyscraper

Last edited by ismail; February 15th, 2010 at 12:55 AM. Reason: added
ismail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 01:42 PM   #39
randolph

Likes (Received): 73

One thing you can say for Terry Farrel he is very good at jumping on, or keeping up with current fashions in architecture. I have never much rated him, I can not stand his awful overblown efforts at Liverpool St and Charring Cross, not to mention Vauxhall! These look 'OK' to me. I like the slender proportions but I fear the colours and balconies will date quickly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiwfnLf-MN0
randolph no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #40
gothicform
Bossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismail View Post
It depends on the AGL, I think sea level, and ground level at CW are not too far apart

Plus, it only needs to be 3 meter taller than PP (147m) for it to be a official skyscraper
yes. the intention is for it to be the tallest building in the area. a pinnacle so to speak... it will be over 150m tall. ill find the precise AOD eventually in one of the documents but i think it'll be 163 point something. it's definitely intended to be the only skyscraper along marshwall.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: