daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 19th, 2012, 06:26 PM   #481
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 569

Does anyone know when the line 9 extension to Costa Brava will be finished? It's so agonizing to see work going on there for the past 2 years and still no station open.

I guess it's a selfish wish, as I live 2 blocks away :p

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #482
OriK
Usuario Registrado

Likes (Received): 173

That's funny because at first I thought that you meant that the L9 should be extended to Girona hahahahahahaha
OriK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 04:51 PM   #483
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 569

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriK View Post
That's funny because at first I thought that you meant that the L9 should be extended to Girona hahahahahahaha
Haha no I meant the new station at Calle Costa Brava.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 11:34 AM   #484
Tom Hughes

Likes (Received): 1021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin S View Post
I've just come back from a very enjoyable week in Madrid and my wife and I travelled on the Metro in the central area - lines 1,2 and 5. I was really impressed by the extent, simplicity and cleanliness of the system and the new trains (the last time I travelled on the metro was back in 1986 when the trains on Line 1 had partially open windows).

I have some questions regarding the power supply. I noticed on Line 2 that the trains used overhead power from a fixed rail just under the tunnel roof and with a very low pantograph.

Is that system used throughout the metro and has it been in use since the system opened?

I'm asking because we have a third rail system on our local underground and might, in the future, need to convert it to overhead despite the very limited clearances.
Rigid conductors are quite common in Tunnels. We were looking at them for Heathrow T5, but I can't remember if we went with them or not now haha

Madrid is a great city..... with great transport.
Tom Hughes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 04:56 AM   #485
pobre diablo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 316

It's a very good system except that the tracks are very deep underground and often you have to take 3 escalators to get out.
pobre diablo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 11:56 AM   #486
Antje
Public Transport Fan

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-21149334

I noticed that the train used to compare with the reinforced metro train was actually a decommissioned car from the Madrid Metro Series 5000.
Antje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:22 PM   #487
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3945

According to the latest news, Costa Brava station won't open until 2015.

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 04:03 PM   #488
S598
Railway and airways fan

Likes (Received): 319

The real situation that I feel as a daily user of Madrid metro network is that it might be at top in the past, but not any longer. It's not only because of the bad economical situation in Spain, or due to unemployment, but also because the disastrous past policy of "Metro for everybody at any cost", which made the Madrid regional government to spend millions of euros in prolongations of lines which are far away the demand they should have.

Most of the prolongations made after 2003 are driving the metro system to bankrupt; due to the low demand they present. For example, streches of line 7 from Las Musas to Hospital del Henares (the so-called "Metroeste"), line 10 from Las Tablas to Hospital Infanta Sofía ("Metronorte"), lines ML1, 2 and 3... are in this situation. The prolongation of lines 1 and 4 to the north is really useful, but it could be much more useful if it had been done in a better way.

The situation is that, now the Metro service is suffering very drastic budget adjustments. The prize of the Metro tickets has almost doubled in the last 5 years; and all that to offer a poorer service each day that goes on. Now intervals of around 10 minutes are frequent out of peak hour, and in weekends (that are bigger intervals than the ones in many bus and train routes! Buses like 27, 70 and train lines C-2, C-4 and C-5 have better intervals!)

For me, the Metro is no longer a competitive way to move in certain hours; I'm an user of line 8 and I have then to transfer to other lines in Nuevos Ministerios many times. If I have been waiting 10 minutes to line 8, and I have to wait other 10 minutes for lines 6 or 10, then I'd better choose to take a bus or to go on foot instead.

I'm now boycotting the metro because I feel very bad about paying double than 6 year ago for half of the service. I use buses and trains instead for all the things I can.
S598 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2013, 02:45 PM   #489
skyscraperus
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2268

Does anyone know exactly how many kilometers is underground from total 293 km of Madrid Metro ?
skyscraperus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 12:26 AM   #490
OriK
Usuario Registrado

~92% so it's ~270km...

Light rail tunnels and commuter/heavy rail tunnels excluded.
Old February 25th, 2013, 01:09 AM   #491
skyscraperus
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2268

270 km under the ground - Madrid Metro
202 km under the ground - New York Subway
198 km under the ground - Paris Metro
181 km under the ground - London Underground

solchante liked this post
skyscraperus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 11:04 PM   #492
OriK
Usuario Registrado

Metro anounced new saving measures... this time... they are positive!

They are changing all the lights in platforms to LED lights... in the tests they got a saving of more than 50%

Source

In the image you can read:

Platform 2 power, with fluorescent bulbs: 4434 Watts
Platform 1 power, with LED bulbs: 2140 Watts
Saving: 52%

They also say that it's possible to save up to 70% with a new system of variable brightness that is going to be introduced and will adjust the lights to the flow of people and trains.

Furthermore they have adjusted and optimized the acceleration and braking profile of the trains of line 3 and they were able to consume only 1'3kWh/km without affecting travel times. They are going to introduce this measure in all the network before the end of the year.

The trains in other big metro networks arround the world usually consume more than 2'6kWh/km.

With this measure they will be able to save around 4 million euros in electricity. I don't have data of the combined saving of both measures.
Old February 26th, 2013, 06:09 PM   #493
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15425

€4 M, that is, per year?
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 06:18 PM   #494
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15425

Quote:
Originally Posted by S598 View Post
The real situation that I feel as a daily user of Madrid metro network is that it might be at top in the past, but not any longer. It's not only because of the bad economical situation in Spain, or due to unemployment, but also because the disastrous past policy of "Metro for everybody at any cost", which made the Madrid regional government to spend millions of euros in prolongations of lines which are far away the demand they should have.

Most of the prolongations made after 2003 are driving the metro system to bankrupt; due to the low demand they present. For example, streches of line 7 from Las Musas to Hospital del Henares (the so-called "Metroeste"), line 10 from Las Tablas to Hospital Infanta Sofía ("Metronorte"), lines ML1, 2 and 3... are in this situation. The prolongation of lines 1 and 4 to the north is really useful, but it could be much more useful if it had been done in a better way.
I don´t completely agree.

While I wouldn´t have made all these MetroNorte, MetroEste and so on, I think that the regular extensions were really needed.
The problem is that these extensions aren´t connected yet, by the line that is supposed to be the spine of eastern Madrid (line 11), which should have been given priority over other extensions. A mistake to not have done it, I think.

I agree that the bad frequencies don´t do any good to the metro.
I´ve always wondered why the Madrid metro hasn´t ever had frequencies like the Barcelona metro. If there were no people to take it, that´d be understandable, but there IS people to take it. And many, like your case it seems, don´t use it because of how annoyingly slow it is (when everyone know it CAN be faster than it is now), and because of the long waits between trains too.
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 12:18 AM   #495
OriK
Usuario Registrado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
€4 M, that is, per year?
It's not specified on my source but I guess so...
Old April 24th, 2013, 06:12 AM   #496
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5762

Madrid Metro has resorted to corporate naming rights like a football kit:

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...-vodafone.html

Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 12:34 PM   #497
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2246

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabriFlorence View Post
Actually Paris metro has a little more stations (380 more or less) but its network is smaller than Madrid(213 km Vs 284 km).
In my opinion Madrid metro is better than Paris metro by far! Trains are clean and confortable, stations are modern and also the cercanias (commuters trains) system is better than Paris RER.

Paris metro is more powerful! The L14 100% automatic crushes the whole madrid network!
grand Paris express will add new lines L15/L16/L17/L18 100% automatic in the future.
New cars arriving on several lines in Paris.
Paris metro is more dense that's why you have this number of km> madrid network

Concerning the RER it is the best suburban system in Europe and perhaps in the world crossing Paris.

Frankly madrid network metro is recent that's why you have this feeling of new. But the truth is Paris modernizes its whole network and i don't see where paris will copy madrid
Old April 24th, 2013, 02:24 PM   #498
OriK
Usuario Registrado

Madrid's Metro is only 19 years younger than Paris' Metro...

Paris Metro = 113 years old
Madrid Metro = 94 years old

And metro drivers are there to solve problems... their main concern is opening and closing doors at stations...

I'm not going to compare both systems as I don't know the Parisian one and probably it's also great but it seems you don't know very well the Madrid system...

Every train is highly automated in Madrid (not 100%, but almost).
Grand Madrid already has Metro.
Trains in Madrid are already new.
Madrid's Metro is dense in the city center and sparse in interurban stretches and the outskirts suburbs... just like any Metro network that connects more than one city.

P.S. SNFC said that the Madrid commuter network was the best among the studied ones including RER... and they partly opperate RER...

Last edited by OriK; April 24th, 2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old April 24th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #499
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2246

Please! France has nothing to take concerning railways & metro because Barcelona metro is from alstom (french)
TGV boggies technology is the best of the world

Madrid metro has made its renovation quickly because 4 millions people to carry isn't 11 millions ! Paris network is heavier.

RER line E
L14 shows just how french are strong concerning public transport.
I wouldn't exchange a L14 in Paris for a single line in madrid or London.
Old April 24th, 2013, 09:29 PM   #500
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelferis View Post
Please! France has nothing to take concerning railways & metro because Barcelona metro is from alstom (french)
TGV boggies technology is the best of the world .
Who said that? I strongly think Siemens and Kawasaki will beat it easily.

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
madrid, metro, metro de madrid, spain in the world, subway