daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 29th, 2014, 05:42 PM   #541
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15414

Not that fast, not so clean and not so cheap anymore. Let´s hope for better days...
And you have something similar in the US: New York subway, don´t you?

Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2014, 12:08 AM   #542
OriK
Usuario Registrado

Likes (Received): 173

I've used nyc subway and while being a great subway it have great disadvantages... It have a strange mesh that difficults connections (the lines are straight in manhattan so only north - south routes are feasible), and the stations are unfunctional and seem to be aging (it's hard to get inside with luggage and the staff doesn't make it easier, few escalators or elevators and isolated platforms with independent accesses from the street)... But the trains are quite fast, it's not very expensive and the fares system is easily understandable.
OriK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2014, 12:20 AM   #543
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Are you always accompanied by your baggage whenever you travel by rail
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2014, 12:58 AM   #544
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Maybe not, but sometimes it might happen to you to be sick, hadicaped or even old. The last one is usualy a permanent condition nevertheles for a transportation system the lack of escalators/elevators is a big disadvantage. With or without baggage it's always not convenient.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany

OriK liked this post
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2014, 02:25 AM   #545
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Whatever. The member was commenting about a network that had its advent at a time when escalator technology was in its infancy and had various, 'evolving' forms. He was flouting a place that excels in the art of squishing so much into tight spaces .. being attributes about that city that, frankly, charm me
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 07:40 AM   #546
Guajiro1
Cereal Killer

Likes (Received): 5628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
These pictures make me very nostalgic about Madrid. Miss that city a ton. And the Madrid Metro is bar none the best subway system in the West: fast, clean, convenient, cheap and great hours. Wish we had something like that here in the States.
I think you could say the same about Santiago de Chile's metro.
Guajiro1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 09:08 PM   #547
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

From a Spanish forumer:
(the depot is located here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuromancer View Post
Recently I have visited the Laguna depot of Metro of Madrid (depot number 8) and here you have some pictures of the visit.

This depot was enlarged in 2006 up to its current size, its functions are:

Depot no. 8 (5000 and 8000 class trains). Maintenance (overhauls, visits, air-blow cleaning shed, bogey lifting table, cleaning and washing plant) and breakdown repair operations for the 5000 and 8000 class trains on Line 6. Long-cycle preventive maintenance.

Premises used for the maintenance of overhead line installations.

Overview of depot number 8 with the Royal Palace, Almudena Cathedral and Plaza de España in Madrid oldtown in the background:

8400 class trainset maneuvering:

5200 class trainset maneuvering in the rail yard:

Rail yard overview and access to buildings:

Metro logo:

Old February 12th, 2014, 09:15 PM   #548
Reivajar

More:

Quote:
Depot indoors with 5000, 5500, 8400 and classic 500 and 1000 class trainsets parked:

Interior del deposito con trenes de deries 5000, 5500, 8400 y clásicos serie 500 y 1000 estacionados:

1000 class 2nd Serie car (used as auxiliar vehicle):

5500 class trainset:

Interior of classic 500 class car:

500 class cockpit:

Interior of 1000 class 2nd Serie trainset:

Interior of 5200 class car:

5200 class cockpit:

Interior of 5500 class trainset:

Detail of camera installed in front of 8000 class trainsets:

To be continue...
Old April 8th, 2014, 02:03 PM   #549
zidar fr

Likes (Received): 625

I made a new schematic integrated map of Madrid metro network.

All lines are represented, metro and cercanias alike.
Line 6 has a geographically accurate bean shape.

I tried to make the map as symmetrical and harmonious as possible but still small enough to be printed on 20cmx20cm

You can see it in better resolution on

www.inat.fr/metro/madrid/
Old April 8th, 2014, 04:20 PM   #550
Reivajar

Thanks for posting.

Just small details:

R line is not purple, but white. Usually it is marked like a white line outlined in black or blue.
ML1 light rail line is not green, but blue.
Maybe 12 line is too small.
You could add Tranvía de Parla in the South. Or if not the complete line scheme, at least the symbol or even a 4 in green as in some maps it is considered the fourth light rail line of the Madrid area.
Colonia Jardín has not accent over the "o" of Colonia.

Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 04:46 PM   #551
zidar fr

@Reivajar

Thanks for your comments

I use a standard set of colors for all metro maps that's why I attributed one that was available to the Ramal. That way it is clearly represented as a a line, with the current black and white design it is quite confusing, looks more like a standard connection corridor.

I also changed ML1 blue color to turqoise because I felt there was already too much blue in that area with M1, M10, C1 and C4.

You are right Tranvia de Parla could be added but it actually acts more like a local bus feeder service than a structural line in the network. Anyway it should appear as a symbol at least.
zidar fr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 03:26 AM   #552
Reivajar

Works on the overground area of the Avenida de América interchange station have been finished.
Avenida de América is served by four metro lines (4,6,7 and 9) and urban, interurban and long-distance buses; so it is one of the main transport hubs of the city. These works are part of the refurbishment of the old complex. A new entrance building, new skylights on the street for improving the lighting and ventilation of the underground complex and a whole reorganization of underground and overground spaces have been done.

Old April 26th, 2014, 05:37 AM   #553
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 848

If the small-profile rolling stock of the Madrid Metro has four cars for 60-metre-long trains and six cars for 90-metre-long trains, then I would think that the large-profile rolling stock (which is 115 metres long) must have six cars as well, though with longer cars.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2014, 01:39 PM   #554
Reivajar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
If the small-profile rolling stock of the Madrid Metro has four cars for 60-metre-long trains and six cars for 90-metre-long trains, then I would think that the large-profile rolling stock (which is 115 metres long) must have six cars as well, though with longer cars.
Yes, small-profile trains cars have are around 14 m long, while large-profile trains cars are around 18 m long.
Old April 27th, 2014, 07:36 PM   #555
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15414

Metro lines 6, 8, 10. Cercanías Renfe lines C1, C2, C3, C4, C7, C8, C10.
Nuevos Ministerios station.

The station was decorated during the promotional campaign for one of Peter Jackson´s movies of The Hobbit.

Quote:

geometarkv liked this post
437.001 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 09:08 PM   #556
Generación93
Curioso arquitectónico.

Likes (Received): 279

What a great job Zidar, chapeau
Generación93 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 09:18 PM   #557
Josedc

Likes (Received): 1220

This metro is fantastic if you live anywhere inside the area the grey line holds, outside of it I am afraid it doesn't fully do its job.
Old April 30th, 2014, 01:14 AM   #558
Reivajar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josedc View Post
This metro is fantastic if you live anywhere inside the area the grey line holds, outside of it I am afraid it doesn't fully do its job.
Well, it depends on the area of the outskirts of the city. It covers reasonably well most of the most common people's trips around the city and above all, workers' needs.
Old April 30th, 2014, 01:49 AM   #559
zidar fr

@Generacion93, Josedc, Reivajar

Thanks for the comments.

I represented line 6 geographicaly, with its kdney/bean shape, because it is not a regular ring line like in Moscow or Shanghai, you don't want to catch it in the wrong direction. This way you can be fully aware of the distances. Inside of it geographical locations and proportions are more or less respected, outside of it the map is fully schematic.

I wanted to show the full metro and Cercanias networks on the same map since you wouldn use both while traveling, especially trough the the tunel de la risa which is quite a transit highway on the North-South axis. On the official metro map Atocha renfe seems like some random station, here it is a major communication hub.

I believe metro and cercanias should integrate their tariff zones and make it seem like a single network for users just like metro/RER in Paris.
zidar fr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 02:01 AM   #560
Reivajar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zidar fr View Post
@Generacion93, Josedc, Reivajar

Thanks for the comments.

I represented line 6 geographicaly, with its kdney/bean shape, because it is not a regular ring line like in Moscow or Shanghai, you don't want to catch it in the wrong direction. This way you can be fully aware of the distances. Inside of it geographical locations and proportions are more or less respected, outside of it the map is fully schematic.

I wanted to show the full metro and Cercanias networks on the same map since you wouldn use both while traveling, especially trough the the tunel de la risa which is quite a transit highway on the North-South axis. On the official metro map Atocha renfe seems like some random station, here it is a major communication hub.

I believe metro and cercanias should integrate their tariff zones and make it seem like a single network for users just like metro/RER in Paris.
I think the beam shape for the line 6 is a good idea and it matches pretty well your maps style.

And I agree completely with you about the fare system integration between metro and commuter trains.

For me, it is kind of annoying the condensed style applied for MetroSur line 12, but I understand that after all your map fits pretty well the trips proportional distribution all around the network.

Tags
madrid, metro, metro de madrid, spain in the world, subway