daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old June 4th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #181
thun
Registered User
 
thun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,829

Quote:
So no, it's not like an S-Bahn. An S-Bahn is more like a metro than a commuter train.
That's not true, I would say a typical S-Bahn (or Paris RER) works the same way as Crossrail: Running on normal tracks as a commuter train out of town (up to, let's say, 50km from the city), while the tunnel in the city centre is completely comparable to a metro (in terms of station density, design, links to other transports, time the train is calling, etc.), at least for the systems with tunnels (Munich, Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Hamburg, partly Berlin).
And the S-Bahn is run with three-doored coaches, like an underground which works perfectly.

Therefore, Rheintrams idea of combining two and three-doored coaches would be a good compromise IMO.
__________________
Folglich mein TagesTipp => Es genau so hinzunehmen wie ich es sagte. Notorisches Widersprechen wird nichts bringen. Ehrlich! Vertraut mir da voellig!
__________ __________ __________
thun no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2009, 01:48 PM   #182
jarbury
Resident Planner
 
jarbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Auckland
Posts: 3,795
Likes (Received): 24

Crossrail definitely seems like a London version of RER A.
__________________
All opinions are my own and not my employer's (or anyone else's).
jarbury no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #183
sweek
Registered User
 
sweek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: London NW1
Posts: 1,636
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarflonlad View Post
It's not a hybrid.

It's a commuter train without a central terminus. Something most, but not all, commuter trains have in London. London Termini being one of main reasons tube routes go where they do - to connect them. Crossrail stops people changing on to the tube.

So no, it's not like an S-Bahn. An S-Bahn is more like a metro than a commuter train.
It's more than that, it really is like a metro with very high frequencies and a core section with 24 trains per hour that will absolutely be used in the same way as the tube is.

What's your definition of an s-bahn like system then?
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #184
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao
 
Svartmetall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 14,079
Likes (Received): 8834

There isn't a solid definition of S-bahn. There is a huge difference between the Frankfurt, Munich and Rhein-Ruhr S-bahn's and the Hamburg and Berlin S-bahn's. The latter two are run on third rail and really are a metro system, whereas the former group are quite clearly a frequent commuter rail with a common shared section in both Frankfurt and Munich and a fully polycentric network in the Rhein-Ruhr.

You could not get more different systems that fit under one name if you tried!
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #185
thun
Registered User
 
thun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,829

As, I said, it should be quite comparable to Munich, Frankfurt and Stuttgart S-Bahn networks: They have a central tunnel which all lines use and therefore very high frequencies on the core section (e. g. in Munich the tunnel was refitted and now has a capacity of30 trains/hour in regular service).

Therefore, making stops at the core stations as short as possible is esential for the reliability. If one train has to wait for, lets say, half a minute longer then the whole schedule gets delayed (Munich is having this problem for years now). So, they should really think about 3-door-coaches.
__________________
Folglich mein TagesTipp => Es genau so hinzunehmen wie ich es sagte. Notorisches Widersprechen wird nichts bringen. Ehrlich! Vertraut mir da voellig!
__________ __________ __________

Last edited by thun; June 5th, 2009 at 05:50 PM.
thun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #186
sarflonlad
Registered User
 
sarflonlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: London
Posts: 1,086
Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrail View Post
Closest thing to Crossrail in the UK is Thameslink through London, the Merseyrail System in Liverpool and the Glasgow Northern Electric "Blue" trains.

Thameslink is a north-south rail system through central London via the SNow Hill Tunnel. Trains run as far south as the South Coast and as far north as Bedford.

Merseyrail Wirral Line has several branches, all converging into the a deep level tube tunnel under central Liverpool; the Northern Line runs north to south in a sub-surface tunnel under central Liverpool.

In Glasgow there are two east-west subsurface lines with electric trains to well outside Glasgow.

And BTW - Crossrail is such a lame name - hopefully, they come up with something more interesting than that.
More like a hybrid regional bahn and s-bahn then.

Crossrail. I guess not a great name. Though locals tend to develop idiosyncratic names for all things urban. The Tube. The Clockwork Orange. The Gherkin. etc. Wonder what Crossrail will be called?
sarflonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #187
sarflonlad
Registered User
 
sarflonlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: London
Posts: 1,086
Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweek View Post
It's more than that, it really is like a metro with very high frequencies and a core section with 24 trains per hour that will absolutely be used in the same way as the tube is.

What's your definition of an s-bahn like system then?
Dunno. The S-bahn in Berlin is very different from other supposed S-Bahns in Germany.

I very much doubt we will see people transferring from the tube on to Crossrail in the central section. At least to me, the whole concept is about getting those out of town, across the town without the need to change to the tube at Paddington and other termini.
sarflonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 01:50 AM   #188
iampuking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,414
Likes (Received): 43

Why is everyone arguing over names and definitions, it really is futile. What is clear however, is that 2 doors per car per side will be insufficient on Crossrail trains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarflonlad View Post
I very much doubt we will see people transferring from the tube on to Crossrail in the central section..
Rubbish. Why would passengers go a longer way on the Tube when Crossrail is quicker?
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #189
ajw373
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,249
Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
Rubbish. Why would passengers go a longer way on the Tube when Crossrail is quicker?
Who said crossrail will be quicker? The bottom line is cross rail is designed to get people into the central part of town from the suburbs and counties near London. For travel around the city the tube will always be a much better option.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #190
Coccodrillo
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 7,200
Likes (Received): 768

Paris' RER is used also for travel within the City. That's why line 14 has been built.
__________________
1.6.2016: Basistunnel!

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #191
mtj73
Registered User
 
mtj73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: East Anglia
Posts: 324
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
What is clear however, is that 2 doors per car per side will be insufficient on Crossrail trains.
I am not so sure about that
If you take the Crossrail section through central London there are 7 stations between Ealing broadway and Stratford, but on the Central line which more or less runs parallel there are 21 stations. Dwell times will not be such an issue on low density station spacing.

It does suggest you are right about crossrail being quicker though.
mtj73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #192
sweek
Registered User
 
sweek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: London NW1
Posts: 1,636
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw373 View Post
Who said crossrail will be quicker? The bottom line is cross rail is designed to get people into the central part of town from the suburbs and counties near London. For travel around the city the tube will always be a much better option.
What about Padidngton to the West End or Canary Wharf? A very common trip. Or anywhere along the Eastern end of the Central Line to Heathrow? Canary Wharf to Ealing Broadway? Farringdon to Tottenham Court Road? There are so many common trips within London like these that people will definitely start using Crossrail for.
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 11:44 PM   #193
Minato ku
Moderator
 
Minato ku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Paris, Montrouge
Posts: 16,759

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtj73 View Post
I am not so sure about that
If you take the Crossrail section through central London there are 7 stations between Ealing broadway and Stratford, but on the Central line which more or less runs parallel there are 21 stations. Dwell times will not be such an issue on low density station spacing.

It does suggest you are right about crossrail being quicker though.
A lower density of station mean more people taking the train by station, don't forget that all these 7 stations are big interchange hub.
Dwell times will be an issue. With only two doors per cars, I think that 80,000 passengers per hours is impossible and 24 tph will be difficult to do.
__________________
すみません !
J’aime Paris et je veux des tours !
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #194
ajw373
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,249
Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweek View Post
What about Padidngton to the West End or Canary Wharf? A very common trip. Or anywhere along the Eastern end of the Central Line to Heathrow? Canary Wharf to Ealing Broadway? Farringdon to Tottenham Court Road? There are so many common trips within London like these that people will definitely start using Crossrail for.

Yeah there are some times where it might make sense but Crossrail isn't designed as a replacement to the tube. The main purpose is to get people into the central area from the suburbs and home counties without the need for THEM to change to tube and yes clearly vice versa.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 09:59 PM   #195
iampuking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,414
Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw373 View Post
Yeah there are some times where it might make sense but Crossrail isn't designed as a replacement to the tube. The main purpose is to get people into the central area from the suburbs and home counties without the need for THEM to change to tube and yes clearly vice versa.
Just because it's designed for that does not mean that will be its sole use...
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #196
ajw373
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,249
Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
Just because it's designed for that does not mean that will be its sole use...
Never said sole use. People will use it for what ever they like, but the bulk will be using it as I said to get from the outter lying areas to the city, ie as it is designed.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 12:38 PM   #197
sweek
Registered User
 
sweek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: London NW1
Posts: 1,636
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw373 View Post
Never said sole use. People will use it for what ever they like, but the bulk will be using it as I said to get from the outter lying areas to the city, ie as it is designed.
And that's not a bad thing, is it? It still relieves capacity from the more inner-London lines.
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #198
ajw373
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,249
Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweek View Post
And that's not a bad thing, is it? It still relieves capacity from the more inner-London lines.

No it isn't a bad thing, it is the whole idea of it, hence why I reckon those in the city area's will still be (in most cases) better off getting the tube, leaving Crossrail to the longer distance commuter.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 01:44 AM   #199
streetquark
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 744
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarflonlad View Post
Crossrail. I guess not a great name. Though locals tend to develop idiosyncratic names for all things urban. The Tube. The Clockwork Orange. The Gherkin. etc. Wonder what Crossrail will be called?
The Sardine
streetquark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 02:49 AM   #200
Minato ku
Moderator
 
Minato ku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Paris, Montrouge
Posts: 16,759

With only two doors per cars and transversal seats, this is sure.
__________________
すみません !
J’aime Paris et je veux des tours !
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
britain, london

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium