daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 4th, 2010, 05:49 AM   #281
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
How annoying. I write all that and not one comment.
great photos - amazing that some people will say that 'elevated' rail lines are an eyesore - but those lines look great to me.

The orange Overground colour gives me a very warm feeling.

Cheers, m

w. http://transitmy.org
e. [email protected]
tw. http://twitter.com/transitmy
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/TRANSI...12392362108880
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2010, 02:32 PM   #282
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

I think the reason the elevated section looks nice is because it's original Victorian. The newer elevated sections of the DLR by comparision are rather unattractive.

Thanks for the comments guys.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:21 PM   #283
Dan78

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
How annoying. I write all that and not one comment.
Nice photos. I was in London last year and saw the construction going on for the East London Overground in Hoxton. The appearance of some of the new stations leaves a bit to be desired though; the neo-Brutalist styled Shoreditch High Street station looks like it was built to withstand nuclear blasts. Still, it looks better than the old Shoreditch tube station, a "ditch" indeed.
Dan78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #284
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan78 View Post
Nice photos. I was in London last year and saw the construction going on for the East London Overground in Hoxton. The appearance of some of the new stations leaves a bit to be desired though; the neo-Brutalist styled Shoreditch High Street station looks like it was built to withstand nuclear blasts. Still, it looks better than the old Shoreditch tube station, a "ditch" indeed.
Shoreditch High Street is the way it is (in a brutal concrete coffin) because ultimately a huge development (Bishopsgate Goodsyard site) will rise around it... So it looks ugly now, but one day it will look really cool to see trains running right through an office tower (or whatever end up built there). They simply had the foresight to build the covered way now, so that when construction does start, there's no disruption to trains.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 05:24 AM   #285
iampuking

I'm not particularly impressed with the platforms at Hoxton or Haggerston myself. Although, I like the ticket halls and stairways.
Old May 5th, 2010, 09:44 AM   #286
ajw373

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
Shoreditch High Street is the way it is (in a brutal concrete coffin) because ultimately a huge development (Bishopsgate Goodsyard site) will rise around it... So it looks ugly now, but one day it will look really cool to see trains running right through an office tower (or whatever end up built there). They simply had the foresight to build the covered way now, so that when construction does start, there's no disruption to trains.
Are the tracks you can see in the high short of Shordich High Street the old ELL line or part of the district line? If the district line I would say the place looks like an ideal interchange oportunity.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 09:45 AM   #287
ajw373

Quote:
I'm not particularly impressed with the platforms at Hoxton or Haggerston myself. Although, I like the ticket halls and stairways.
They look a tad narrow, bit like Shepherds Bush Overground station. Not good if ever there is a large crowd waiting.
Old May 5th, 2010, 12:33 PM   #288
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
interesting! Trains running elevated through a building - that is one way to save a dreary design or a glorified people mover* and make it look good

*Yes, Im talking about you, Detroit People Mover! You're a horrible example of public transport but when I see the train enter and leave buildings - like Joe Louis Arena and the COBO Hall - I cannot help but be impressed.

Cheers, m

w. http://transitmy.org
e. [email protected]
tw. http://twitter.com/transitmy
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/TRANSI...12392362108880

Last edited by allurban; May 6th, 2010 at 06:22 AM.
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 05:52 PM   #289
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw373 View Post
Are the tracks you can see in the high short of Shordich High Street the old ELL line or part of the district line? If the district line I would say the place looks like an ideal interchange oportunity.
Neither, if it's the photo I think you're referring to. They're the mainline tracks into Liverpool Street Station. Building a station there to interchange with SHS, is really not feasible, not least because it would slow down journeys into and out of Liverpool St and is very close to that terminus anyway.

A feasible future interchange however would be with the Central Line which runs under the station. I think the reason it doesn't exist now is because it would place additional strain on one of the busiest stretches of tube on the whole network. When Crossrail opens and other route options and extra capacity in the area becomes available. perhaps they might look at the possibility of said interchange then.
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #290
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyt View Post
London infrastructure is really coming together.
Its coming-together was ahead of everywhere else even way before your very own first half came to nest in your mum no less than 2 months into your granny's pregnancy

Now having browsed hundreds of photos revealing my own city's slow-poke infrastructural development of the past odd 150 years, that observation of yours jumps out at me. My city's infrastructure right through the 1950s paled to London's own extent -say- 80 years beforehand...

I wish I'd taken snapshots of the then-spooky, open stairwells at Wapping and Rotherhithe Stations back in the late '70s, grunginess at a premium now...nonetheless, congratulations Londoners!

Last edited by trainrover; May 5th, 2010 at 06:25 PM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 08:28 PM   #291
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1771

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairnsTony View Post
Neither, if it's the photo I think you're referring to. They're the mainline tracks into Liverpool Street Station. Building a station there to interchange with SHS, is really not feasible, not least because it would slow down journeys into and out of Liverpool St and is very close to that terminus anyway.

A feasible future interchange however would be with the Central Line which runs under the station. I think the reason it doesn't exist now is because it would place additional strain on one of the busiest stretches of tube on the whole network. When Crossrail opens and other route options and extra capacity in the area becomes available. perhaps they might look at the possibility of said interchange then.
There won't be the need by then as Crossrail has a station at Whitechapel too.
NCT está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 08:44 PM   #292
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7508

Imperial Wharf Station - West London Line

flickr
Old May 5th, 2010, 10:33 PM   #293
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

Quote:

image hosted on flickr

Correct, although amazingly there was a station here with platforms on all 6 GER tracks until 1916 (Bishopsgate Low Level), in addition to the terminus at Liverpool Street a couple of hundred metres west.

The derelict and very wide viaduct which the east end of the ELL bridge rests on was the Eastern Counties Railway's (later Great Eastern Railway) first London terminus in The City (Shoreditch, then Bishopsgate), replaced by Liverpool Street at a much lower level and further south-west after 34 years (and then became a large goods station).

The Central Line option would be very costly, as appending a new station to an existing deep-level tube is an engineering headache (has been done before though, at Holborn Central Line)... And yes there is also the Central Line capacity (or lack thereof) to think about.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 01:12 AM   #294
Dan78

Quote:
Taking a look at a geographic map, it seems the Central Line tunnel runs right under Brick Lane (between Quaker and Grimsby Streets) exactly near where the old ELL Shoreditch station was (why they never bothered to put a transfer station between the old ELL and Central Line is beyond me). It seems like this would be an ideal place for a new intermediate subterranean station on the Central Line, perhaps with a pedestrian tunnel connecting this new station ("Brick Lane", perhaps) with the SHS Overground station on Wheler Street.

The neighborhood is already used to the notion of having a tube station (albeit an underperforming one), so there shouldn't be significant local opposition.

Last edited by Dan78; May 6th, 2010 at 01:18 AM.
Old May 6th, 2010, 01:20 AM   #295
Dan78

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. East London really seems to be undergoing a development boom. I'm sure that the new Overground and the DLR have been a big part of that, as Crossrail will be.
Old May 6th, 2010, 04:18 AM   #296
iampuking

Great video of nearly the whole of the East London Railway. The newest section starts from around 4:30. Also note that the train goes through Brunel's historic Thames Tunnel, the first tunnel underneath water, and one of the first to use tunnelling shields in 1843.

Old May 6th, 2010, 04:45 AM   #297
iampuking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw373 View Post
They look a tad narrow, bit like Shepherds Bush Overground station. Not good if ever there is a large crowd waiting.
The stairs or the platforms? Anyway, projected passengers for Hoxton and Haggerston isn't particularly high, especially compared to Dalston Junction and Shoreditch High Street.
Old May 6th, 2010, 09:40 AM   #298
ajw373

Quote:
I should open my eyes a little more, as clearly it is 4 sets of tracks. When I first looked at the pic and asked the question it looked to me to be two sets of tube track (with it's 4 track system) so yes makes sense to not have an interchange there.
Old May 6th, 2010, 11:24 AM   #299
davidaiow

Likes (Received): 5

Thanks for the video. God I love the roar.
davidaiow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 11:54 PM   #300
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
image hosted on flickr
Does anybody know why the route is so boxed in beyond SHS stn?

What's the likelihood of instead placing Barking right and below of Stratford (it's muddling, no?)?
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
britain, london