daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 16th, 2011, 04:42 AM   #661
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 569

I'm a bit confused and I'm hoping someone could clear this up for me. The Canary Wharf Crossrail station is being built in the middle of one of the docks, and once it's built, the dock will be refilled with water? So the station will essentially be an island?

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #662
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam King View Post
I'm a bit confused and I'm hoping someone could clear this up for me. The Canary Wharf Crossrail station is being built in the middle of one of the docks, and once it's built, the dock will be refilled with water? So the station will essentially be an island?
Yes, although the channels of water surrounding will be very narrow (more like canals), with bridges linking to the land either side.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #663
Acemcbuller
Lifelong Londoner

Likes (Received): 0

So long as no-one decides to drill a hole in the wall below the waterline to put a picture up it'll be fine
Acemcbuller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #664
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7531

I doubt anyone would be allowed to get in the station with drilling machinery.
Old April 16th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #665
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
I doubt anyone would be allowed to get in the station with drilling machinery.
Toronto once had to shut down its main line because a contractor drilling around a gas line accidentally pierced the tunnel liner.

So I'd be more worried about the guys drilling outside, rather than inside

Cheers, m

w. http://transitmy.org
e. [email protected]
tw. http://twitter.com/transitmy
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/TRANSI...12392362108880
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 02:23 AM   #666
Tubeman
Jubilation

2 weeks ago Westminster Council decided to pressure test the water pipes supplying the fountains in Trafalgar Square because they want to make them higher for the Royal wedding, but instead managed to blow apart the pipes and flooded all of Charing Cross tube station, with the water flooding down the Bakerloo Line to Embankment which also flooded.

Genius.
Old April 17th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #667
davidaiow

Likes (Received): 5

^ That is ridiculous! I wondered why it had flooded!
davidaiow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 01:59 AM   #668
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 2051

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
2 weeks ago Westminster Council decided to pressure test the water pipes supplying the fountains in Trafalgar Square because they want to make them higher for the Royal wedding, but instead managed to blow apart the pipes and flooded all of Charing Cross tube station, with the water flooding down the Bakerloo Line to Embankment which also flooded.

Genius.
Pics or it never happened, that is brilliant!
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #669
PortoNuts

Old April 18th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #670
PortoNuts

Old April 19th, 2011, 07:33 AM   #671
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:

Genius.
Oh, dear God! That's just insane - I cannot imagine the disruption, and just so the water fountain can shoot higher.

Ok, but I definitely want to see the pics as well as the face of the workers once they realized what they'd done.

Cheers, m

w. http://transitmy.org
e. [email protected]
tw. http://twitter.com/transitmy
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/TRANSI...12392362108880
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 02:49 PM   #672
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Not quite as funny as Tubeman suggests but it happened. In a fashion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12851508
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #673
PortoNuts

They should have sent the Royal Household Cavalry to take care of that.
Old April 19th, 2011, 11:10 PM   #674
PortoNuts

Quote:
Crossrail will leave a positive legacy says chairman

Legacy has been a much-overused word in recent years, particularly with large building projects like the Olympics. So it comes as something of a surprise when one of the men in charge of the huge Crossrail project starts talking about its legacy, a full seven years before the first train is scheduled to run on its network.

But Crossrail chairman Terry Morgan wants to ensure it will deliver a state-of-the art transport link for London and also create jobs and skills from its £14.9billion budget. "The question is does it leave a legacy," said Mr Morgan.

"There's a big debate about that with the Olympics, and there will be a big debate about it with Crossrail. That's why we're building a skills academy for tunnelling in Newham, with state-of-the art training facilities. It will accredit at least 1,000 people a year."

"We've made sure it's not Crossrail specific, so there's a legacy. We have understandings with Thames Water, EDF, and National Grid, so we'll be the first source of supply for accredited training for their infrastructure projects. The academy will also enable people to work on the Underground, on Crossrail, or Network Rail."

"It's also my intention that it will have a framework where we will have at least 400 apprentices in Crossrail and that will be a natural place for our apprentices to grow. To work on the railway you have to have a skills passport. It's like a union card. It shows you are accredited and you can work safely."

"It's a real cottage industry historically, which has made it very difficult to get proper recognition for accredited skills, and also very difficult to stop a black markeet for people to come in and work on the railway on a casual basis. Not good, not safe, and not good in terms of skills and development.
We're trying to make a sustainable business that east London can be proud of, and we want to maximise local employment. We have an understanding with Jobcentre Plus for a 48 hour window just for them to find candidates to make available for vacancies we have."

Mr Morgan's previous job was chief executive of the ill-fated Tube Lines consortium carrying out the upgrade on the Jubilee line. That, and the DLR, required substantial improvement works to increase capacity to cope with demand. Crossrail will have that scope for growth in-built.

Mr Morgan, 62, said: "We've built a 12-car train capacity, with 250m long platforms. But we're starting with 10-car train set, so we've immediately built in a 20 per cent redundancy, and can grow the system by another two cars per train. We intend the central section to run 24 trains per hour, but we'll put in a system capable of going to 32. That means 30-40 per cent spare capacity that we're not intending to bring into service in 2018. It's important, particularly on the central section where you don't get a second chance."

Signalling problems have bedevilled the Jubilee upgrade. Mr Morgan wants no repeat with Crossrail. He said: "Nobody should be complacent about signalling. The combination of getting reliability and maturity in new trains, new track, new signalling and new stations is something we're quite exercised about at the moment."

"We're optimistic we'll be able to procure the trains forward by a year. Ideally we'd like to get them in service in 2015 or 2016 on the Great Eastern line, so we can at least de-risk that in terms of reliability." Crossrail's funding was threatened under the Government's Comprehensive Spending Review last autumn. A reduction would have had serious implications for Canary Wharf, with the line to Abbey Wood most in danger. A simple solution was found.

"We moved the opening date from 2017 to 2018, which meant we needed a billion pounds less funding," said Mr Morgan.

"That's how we retained full scope. For Canary Wharf, if we'd indicated we were too close to the funding capacity, then there was the possibility we'd have to consider a reduction. That we are still going to Abbey Wood is very positive news." And with the economy still struggling to recover from recession - and inflation high - cost is another aspect Mr Morgan is keeping a close eye on.

He said: "We are very mindful of inflation. But having said that, in terms of going to the market we're getting some very good competitions. We're not disappointed with how the market's responded to the value for money challenge.

"Right now, we're confident we can deliver this programme within the funding capacity that's been made available.

"The other thing which we've been emphasising, is that in the CSR part of the message was that this wasn't just a draw on the national exchequer, this was about a combination of what we got from Government, and what London was also contributing.

"Either through the public or private sector, there was a very full contribution from London. That was a very important part of the Crossrail proposition, in comparison with all the other bidding projects that were in for review with the Treasury. It's very important having people like Canary Wharf Group, the City of London, Berkeley Homes, BAA. At the end of the day this is how we're going to increase the quality of public transport in London."

Despite the progress, chief executive Rob Holden is leaving the project in July. Finding his successor is progressing well.

Mr Morgan said: "I'm surprised he's leaving, as we've had a very good six months and Rob made much of that happen. He just decided he couldn't commit to 2017-2018, he wanted to do other things. My ambition is we'll be able to announce Rob's successor before he departs in July."
http://www.wharf.co.uk/2011/04/cross...a-positiv.html
Old April 20th, 2011, 12:31 AM   #675
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfield View Post
Not quite as funny as Tubeman suggests but it happened. In a fashion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12851508
I am right... trust me... I know people who were there in the thick of it.

I worked on the Bakerloo Line for 4 years, I used to manage Charing Cross station.
Old April 20th, 2011, 08:17 PM   #676
PortoNuts

Renders of the new London Bridge Station.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by PortoNuts; April 20th, 2011 at 08:36 PM.
PortoNuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 05:13 AM   #677
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Gorgeous! the current station is such a hideous, cramped mess right now.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 08:43 AM   #678
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
I am right... trust me... I know people who were there in the thick of it.

I worked on the Bakerloo Line for 4 years, I used to manage Charing Cross station.
I'm not doubting that it happened, but the way you say it did. Checking Google reveals no mention off the event as you describe it. Even the RMT (your union?) report makes no mention of it. The majority of reports state that a contractor accidentally cut through the pipe feeding the fountains.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 04:13 PM   #679
PortoNuts

Quote:
£800m London Bridge station rebuild unveiled

Network Rail has revealed plans for the complete overhaul of London Bridge station over five years. Together with resignalling works and on-going Thameslink improvements, the scale of investment will soar to £800m around the busy London station site.

The plans include a new concourse that is bigger than the pitch at Wembley, which will sit underneath the tracks. Two new entrances will be constructed on Tooley Street and St Thomas Street, which will improve links between the areas around the station.

Network Rail said it hopes to have a main contractor on board by the end of the year. Although the huge station rebuild will not start until after the Olympics to avoid disruption during the games. The revised plans – like the previously approved scheme – include the demolition of the historic South Eastern Railway office building on Tooley Street.

Coupled with changes and improvements to the rail infrastructure around the station, the investment in the area will mark the final phase of the Thameslink programme to deliver longer trains and more frequent services to more destinations.

The station remodelling will involve the untangling a spaghetti of railway lines. This will increase the number of tracks going through the station from six to nine and a reduce from nine to six the number of terminating platforms.

Next weekend Skanska will complete an important part of the London Bridge Thameslink work when it slides a 1,200t bridge section into place. The final 72m section of the replacement Borough viaduct has been built above the existing bridge to allow it to be jacked down into place.

Work is also already underway to improve the station, with the Shard tower development funding a new bus station – part of the London Bridge Quarter improvements – and delivering a new entrance and upper concourse for the train station.
http://www.constructionenquirer.com/...uild-unveiled/

Quote:
London Bridge Station redevelopment plans announced

The plans include a new ground-level concourse – bigger than the pitch at Wembley – with entrances on Tooley Street and St Thomas Street. The revised plans – like the previously approved scheme – include the demolition of the historic South Eastern Railway office building on Tooley Street.

WSP was chosen as lead designer on the project last December, shortly after transport secretary Philip Hammond confirmed funding for the redevelopment which is linked to the Thameslink Programme. "Passengers want more space, less congestion and a station that is easier to get around in – as well as a better, more reliable rail service," says Martin Jurkowski, Network Rail’s project director.

"Our proposals for London Bridge deliver all these benefits and more."

Network Rail will be seeking the views of station users, local residents and businesses, before submitting a planning application for the redevelopment. This period of consultation will include an exhibition at London Bridge Station in the week of 16 May.

Mr Jurkowski added: "We want to know what people think of our plans and we are encouraging people to find out more, either in person or online." The five year construction project is planned to get under way fully in 2013 and is scheduled to be completed in 2018. Although the new concourse will be underneath the tracks and platforms, it will benefit from natural light.

It will also be designed with capacity for around two thirds more passengers than use the station today. The reconfigured track layout will see an increase in through platforms from six to nine and a reduction in terminating platforms from nine to six.

Work is already under way to improve London Bridge with the Shard and The Place developments funding a new bus station and upper concourse for the railway station to be completed next year.
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/5250
Old April 21st, 2011, 04:49 PM   #680
PortoNuts

Quote:
Shortlists confirmed for remaining Crossrail stations

Shortlists featuring the main construction contracts for the remaining Crossrail stations have been confirmed. Bond Street, Liverpool Street, Tottenham Court Road and stations in Whitechapel will all now see the remaining bidders being invited to tender for the building projects.

As a result, shortlists for all of the stations that will be included in the capital's rail project have been confirmed. The main construction contracts of the six main central London Crossrail hubs stands at £1.5 billion.

Tenders for the Bond Street project will now be considered from a joint venture between Costain and Skanska, Laing O'Rourke Construction, Lend Lease Construction and a BAM Nuttall, Ferrovial and Kier partnership.

Meanwhile, the BAM Nuttall, Ferrovial and Kier joint venture, Lend Lease Construction and Laing ORourke are also all included in the shortlist for the Tottenham Court Road project, along with the combined efforts of Dragados and Sisk.

Crossrail will run 118 km from Maidenhead and Heathrow to Abbey Wood and Shenfield. The aim of the project is to boost the capital's train network and bring thousands of people within a shorter journey time of the city.

It was announced earlier this month that Crossrail has now started the tender process for its signalling system.
http://www.trl.co.uk/trl-news-hub/tr..._800507188.htm

Tags
britain, london